Coach Gun Accessories

General discussions regarding topics that aren't covered in one of the other sub-forums. NO DISCUSSION OF POLITICS!

Moderators: ZS Global Moderators, ZS Postal Match Officers

nimdabew
Favorite Zombie Movies: DOTD
I am ledgend

Re: Coach Gun Accessories

Post by nimdabew » Sun Aug 09, 2009 6:10 pm

yossarian wrote:
MicSteve wrote:Wouldn't that be the same problem with a gun mounted light?

That's why weapon lights have or should have a momentary on. Try strobing a headlamp while moving and doing anything let alone using a shotgun.
Have you ever stood in a dark room for 15 minutes and then shined the 80+ lumne light in your eyes? You can't see anything for about a minute even if the light was only on for a half second. If someone is creaping around in your house, and you shine a bright enough light, you will blind them and you then have a clear outline of where they are, who they are, and they can't see you or do anything really. It is a huge stunning effect.
Thanks Anianna!
12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:I say when Wee Drop visits the US, we make her ride a goat. You know, like those little monkey cowboys they have at some rodeos. :lol:

ninja-elbow
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: DotD '04
DotD
NotLD

Post by ninja-elbow » Sun Aug 09, 2009 6:59 pm

Sling. Scabbards are for mounting on horses and vehicles.

The only buttstock shell holder I ever saw worth anything for a coach gun was one a friend hand made for another friend and I copied it for my single shot shotty. The original was a 6x while mine was a 3x. Used buckles and straps.

Somebody mentioned Godfather and I agree with that. Get a satch to hold all the goodies you want for your double barrel shotty and maybe a belt shell carrier.
President ZSC011
Part Viking, Part Siamese

yossarian
Favorite Zombie Movies: Army of Darkness, Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead(remake)

Post by yossarian » Sun Aug 09, 2009 7:23 pm

nimdabew wrote:
Have you ever stood in a dark room for 15 minutes and then shined the 80+ lumne light in your eyes? You can't see anything for about a minute even if the light was only on for a half second. If someone is creaping around in your house, and you shine a bright enough light, you will blind them and you then have a clear outline of where they are, who they are, and they can't see you or do anything really. It is a huge stunning effect.

Absolutely, but if go creeping around your house after the guy with a constant on light he'll know exactly where you are long before you find him. Put that same light on your head and you'll never have to worry about becoming a zombie. Anyway I don't want to hi-jack the thread, it looks like the OP has moved on.
" So, brave knights,
if you do doubt your courage or your strength, come no further,
for death awaits you all with nasty, big, pointy teeth."

dascoyne

Post by dascoyne » Sun Aug 09, 2009 7:34 pm

jeremy1391 wrote: for lighting use a head lamp.
!!!!!!!!

holy heck! no!

A flashlight is also known as a target indicator at night. That's why weapon mounted lights have momentary switches.
A head lamp is like tattooing a bullseye on your forhead.
Please don't use a head lamp.

MicSteve

Post by MicSteve » Mon Aug 10, 2009 5:07 pm

In all seriousness - flares can get stuck quite easily in chokes other than cylinder. Barrels melt.
Thanks for the useful info on flares. So if I were out hunting and had any choke other than cylinder I would have to take them out to use them. Also I'm not down at all with barrel melting.
That's a gorgeous gun, I am quite envious. The thought of adding anything to it makes me cringe, but do what you've got to do (but PLEASE, no duct tape). I'd get a nice leather sling like this, that doesn't require mounts. It should be just fine for hunting, and you can leave it off when you're at home so it'll be ready for home defense use. I'd get a nice leather scabbard like this for carrying on a pack, I'd probably get one even if I didn't plan to take it anywhere because it looks so cool. I'd also probably need to get a horse, just to complete the ensemble.
Osiris Risen where did you find the sling? I really like the way the scabbard looks and the other leather ones I've seen as well. I'm just not comfortable with paying almost half the price of my firearm for its carrier, at least not yet. I wonder how hard it would be to a make one from scratch. Maybe not leather, but that's another thread. (Oh and don't worry I had not intention of altering it in anyway)
The only buttstock shell holder I ever saw worth anything for a coach gun was one a friend hand made for another friend and I copied it for my single shot shotty. The original was a 6x while mine was a 3x. Used buckles and straps.
You wouldn't happen to have a picture lying around somewhere would you? Did it look something like this: http://www.houtsenterprises.org/shotgun_bsh.htm?
Somebody mentioned Godfather and I agree with that. Get a satch to hold all the goodies you want for your double barrel shotty and maybe a belt shell carrier.

I'm about to open a huge can of worms here, but I've never seen the Godfather, so......what type of satchel do you speak of?
The fox knows many tricks; the hedgehog one good one.

Osiris Risen
Favorite Zombie Movies: The first three Romero movies, Dance of the Dead, Versus, Flight of the Living Dead (Zombies on a Plane), and most anything else really.

Post by Osiris Risen » Mon Aug 10, 2009 5:42 pm

MicSteve wrote:

Osiris Risen where did you find the sling? I really like the way the scabbard looks and the other leather ones I've seen as well. I'm just not comfortable with paying almost half the price of my firearm for its carrier, at least not yet. I wonder how hard it would be to a make one from scratch. Maybe not leather, but that's another thread. (Oh and don't worry I had not intention of altering it in anyway)
http://www.cowboyneeds.com/285.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sorry, I should have just linked that instead of the picture. And yeah, the scabbards are a bit expensive, but after you buy the matching horse you'll hardly notice the $150 you spent on the scabbard, and you'll look all kinds of awesome.
Never trust a corpse.

Mbelasko12

Post by Mbelasko12 » Mon Aug 10, 2009 5:53 pm

I'm about to open a huge can of worms here, but I've never seen the Godfather, so......what type of satchel do you speak of?[/quote]

You most definitely must see the Godfather great movie.
Back to the shotgun accessories, from the movie http://www.imfdb.org/index.php/Godfather%2C_The" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Check under the heading ' unidentified shotguns ' and you will see the 2 bodyguards walking around with the bandolieer belt and the satchel. A cheap but effective accessory to go with your shotgun would be something like this: Shotgun shell bag or clay/skeet bag which range from
really cheap
https://www.rrarms.com/catalog.php?prod=DSB" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

cheap
http://www.shapesport.com/Itm1204041926 ... g_New.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

to

pricey/nice
http://www.orvis.com/store/product_dire ... t_id=14095" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You also just get a mag dump pouch
This ones by Eagle and is expensive but it's not a hard item to find cheaper
http://www.eagleindustries.com/product. ... t=0&page=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ironraven

Post by ironraven » Mon Aug 10, 2009 6:55 pm

I like doubles, I will not lie. They lack firepower compared to a tricked out tactical 12ga, but they are pretty much impossible to jam. The biggest accessory to apply to this is practice, practice, practice your reloading until you can do it blind.

While not denying the tactical advantage of 6 round over 5, if you carry two pairs with a space between them, it will help you load faster.

And avoid the damn flares. I've seen one barrel completely trashed by them, and if you are using them someone implied they might have been as redneck illumination or flashbang... yeah, fuck getting arrested. You're house might well burn down around your ears.

Oh, and for people who call it a "range toy", unless it is issued to you, all of guns are going to mostly be "range toys" unless we also take them hunting. Until that one really, really lousy day.....
"Even if it's only the handful of people I happen to meet on the street or in my home, I can still protect them with one sword."

When a man go no longer speak without malice intended lest he cause offense, that is when truth starts to die.

There are three kinds of man- Man the Toolmaker, Man the Tool User, and man the tool.

MicSteve

Post by MicSteve » Mon Aug 10, 2009 7:37 pm

http://www.cowboyneeds.com/285.html

Sorry, I should have just linked that instead of the picture. And yeah, the scabbards are a bit expensive, but after you buy the matching horse you'll hardly notice the $150 you spent on the scabbard, and you'll look all kinds of awesome.
Thanks for the link probably going to pick up that exact sling. Will let you know how it works out for me.
Quote:

I'm about to open a huge can of worms here, but I've never seen the Godfather, so......what type of satchel do you speak of?
You most definitely must see the Godfather great movie.
Back to the shotgun accessories, from the movie http://www.imfdb.org/index.php/Godfather%2C_The" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Check under the heading ' unidentified shotguns ' and you will see the 2 bodyguards walking around with the bandolieer belt and the satchel. A cheap but effective accessory to go with your shotgun would be something like this: Shotgun shell bag or clay/skeet bag which range from
really cheap
https://www.rrarms.com/catalog.php?prod=DSB" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

cheap
http://www.shapesport.com/Itm1204041926" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... g_New.aspx

to

pricey/nice
http://www.orvis.com/store/product_dire" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... t_id=14095

You also just get a mag dump pouch
This ones by Eagle and is expensive but it's not a hard item to find cheaper
http://www.eagleindustries.com/product" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. ... t=0&page=1[/quote]

Thanks for the suggestions. I actually saw a shotgun satchel just like the shape sport at the local wally world as well as a small belt shell holder.

On a side note I kinda want to watch the Godfather now just for the shotgun part. The only part I've ever caught is where they're all sitting around in some big room and it seemed like it was at least 30 minutes of straight dialogue. Just couldn't get into it.

Do you know where I could pick up a cheap canvas one like they have in the movie? Could be useful in day to day situations as well as a back up shell holder.
I like doubles, I will not lie. They lack firepower compared to a tricked out tactical 12ga, but they are pretty much impossible to jam. The biggest accessory to apply to this is practice, practice, practice your reloading until you can do it blind.

While not denying the tactical advantage of 6 round over 5, if you carry two pairs with a space between them, it will help you load faster.

And avoid the damn flares. I've seen one barrel completely trashed by them, and if you are using them someone implied they might have been as redneck illumination or flashbang... yeah, fuck getting arrested. You're house might well burn down around your ears.

Oh, and for people who call it a "range toy", unless it is issued to you, all of guns are going to mostly be "range toys" unless we also take them hunting. Until that one really, really lousy day.....

I didn't think about that w/ the 5 shell holder. At least that way I could get one tomorrow instead of ordering one and waiting for shipping. Any thoughts on what to practice reloading with? I somehow don't think doing it with live rounds over and over and over again seems safe. Accidents can happen after all.

I love it so far and have always wanted one. After all its a Fricken Double Barrel, SXS, 12ga, MOTHER F!@%ING COACH GUN!!! I mean it just ooozes uber out of every pore! I'd sleep with it if my wife would only let me.

I don't consider it as a just a range toy at all. I plan on at least trying to hunt everything a shotgun can hunt with it. I mean I have it, it has the adjustable chokes and as stated above its a F!@%ing coach gun.

pyratemime

Post by pyratemime » Mon Aug 10, 2009 7:48 pm

Don't for get the most important accessory for a coach gun...

"It wouldn't hurt you people to think like a serial killer every now and again. You know just for the sake of prevention!" - Foamy the Squirrel
DaJoker wrote:In regards to us "normal" humans... well that's why its best to follow pyratemime's advice.

Rednex
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Rednex » Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:00 pm

I have an O/U Stroger , and i was told to never shoot slugs in it that it messes up the barrels. Im not 100% on this im more of asking about it my self.

The reason im asking is you said about hunting with your SxS. Depending on where and what you hunt you might be limited to slug's like my state does.

Get all the different chokes you can get ( 2 of each ). From cyl to full , and if they make them get super full/ turkey chokes and rifled chokes

MicSteve

Post by MicSteve » Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:09 pm

Don't for get the most important accessory for a coach gun...
Touche good sir. Its even a Wells Fargo. Nice touch.
I have an O/U Stroger , and i was told to never shoot slugs in it that it messes up the barrels. Im not 100% on this im more of asking about it my self.

The reason im asking is you said about hunting with your SxS. Depending on where and what you hunt you might be limited to slug's like my state does.

Get all the different chokes you can get ( 2 of each ). From cyl to full , and if they make them get super full/ turkey chokes and rifled chokes
I hadn't heard that about the slugs. I'm in NC and haven't heard if its a slug only state I will look into thought thanks for the heads up. Check on the chokes will do.

Osiris Risen
Favorite Zombie Movies: The first three Romero movies, Dance of the Dead, Versus, Flight of the Living Dead (Zombies on a Plane), and most anything else really.

Post by Osiris Risen » Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:33 pm

And I thought I was obsessive, suggesting he get a horse.
Never trust a corpse.

MacAttack

Post by MacAttack » Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:26 pm

Do not shoot slugs through any choke other than the cylinder choke.

Some slugs do not compress and will get stuck inside the choke either swelling it up and damaging the barrel or it could take the whole screw in choke out with it. Stripping the threads.

ironraven

Post by ironraven » Tue Aug 11, 2009 7:21 pm

For my reload practice, I use snap caps. They are light enough that your auto ejector might work. Either that, or just empties.
"Even if it's only the handful of people I happen to meet on the street or in my home, I can still protect them with one sword."

When a man go no longer speak without malice intended lest he cause offense, that is when truth starts to die.

There are three kinds of man- Man the Toolmaker, Man the Tool User, and man the tool.

charlie505
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 days, Resident evil, Shawn of the Dead

Post by charlie505 » Tue Aug 11, 2009 7:49 pm

OK - i am the one with the Godfather reference - who makes a shot gun like the one in the movie??

My Grandfather left me a shotgun like that - unfortunatly it is in Sicily and it has Damascus barrels - have to use black powder shells in it!!

AmirMortal
Favorite Zombie Movies: ALL! 28 days later...

Post by AmirMortal » Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:32 pm

Well, I'm not sure if it'll fit a sxs, but it's cheap and has MOLLE attachments:

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/MOLLE700-1.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And along the same lines, here are a metric shit-ton of slings that may or may not fit your gun:

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/Category ... ?catid=331" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Return to “General Firearms Discussion”