Coach Gun Accessories

General discussions regarding topics that aren't covered in one of the other sub-forums. NO DISCUSSION OF POLITICS!

Moderators: ZS Global Moderators, ZS Postal Match Officers

MicSteve

Coach Gun Accessories

Post by MicSteve » Sat Aug 08, 2009 9:19 am

Recently bought a new stoeger coach gun supreme and had some questions on what accessories I should pimp it out with. Right now its intended role is for home defense/hunting/trap shooting/back up bug out gun.

1. I want to get a butt stock shell holder for it but there seems to be mostly the 5 rounders. Anyone know of a good 6 round shell holder? I know I saw a picture somewhere of someone on the boards with a nice looking leather 6 rounder.

2. As a backup weapon I was thinking of getting those 12 gauge flares for it. Will these work out of a coach gun and are they worth getting at all? Anyone have any actual experience using them?

3. I'm undecided as to how I should carry it around. Should I get a sling or a shotgun scabbard or neither or both? Are there scabbards that would fit a SxS? If I do get a sling how do I mount it? The stoeger doesn't come with sling swivels so I'd have to get those to use a sling. Would I have to drill into the gun to mount the swivels and could I do that myself or would I need to send it to a gunsmith?

4. I've seen in several gun magazines an add that goes something like this: sxs shotgun $250, flashlight mount $50, flashlight $35, something about bumps in the night priceless. Does anyone know of what flashlight mount this is or if there even is a flashlight mount for a sxs and if it would be worth getting or not? I'm guessing that the only situation a flashlight mount on a sxs would be useful would be for the home defense role and I'm only using it for that until I get my CCW and purchase a handgun. So would it be worth getting at all or is it more of a novelty?

Oh and per the pics or it didn't happen rule:
The fox knows many tricks; the hedgehog one good one.

Rock2Fox

Re: Coach Gun Accessories

Post by Rock2Fox » Sat Aug 08, 2009 9:24 am

It goes well with a fashionable handbag.

Seriously though, I own the same weapon and like it in its original state. I didn't want to try to make it something it wasn't; that being said - a light would be a good addition. There was a thread around here somewhere about a Stoeger that was all tricked out w/ rails and whatnot.
"The bombing begins in five minutes." -- Ronald Reagan

Kommander

Post by Kommander » Sat Aug 08, 2009 9:32 am

I keep mine like it came, though I would like a leather stock mounted shell holder. Galco makes one but it's $80. Too much to spend on what is essentially a range toy.
Why must all the hoops be on fire?

nimdabew
Favorite Zombie Movies: DOTD
I am ledgend

Post by nimdabew » Sat Aug 08, 2009 1:56 pm

Kommander wrote:I keep mine like it came, though I would like a leather stock mounted shell holder. Galco makes one but it's $80. Too much to spend on what is essentially a range toy.
Range toy = mostly. I wouldn't want to stare down the doubble barrels though. Ever since the Bourne Identity I had a small itch to get a SXS.
Thanks Anianna!
12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:I say when Wee Drop visits the US, we make her ride a goat. You know, like those little monkey cowboys they have at some rodeos. :lol:

tireiron

Post by tireiron » Sat Aug 08, 2009 1:58 pm

12 gauge marine flares will work in your gun, but there's a chance they could leave some pretty nasty corrosive crud in the barrel. Clean it thoroughly after use.

Back in the 70's one school of home defense touted the 12g sxs as the ultimate weapon- one barrel loaded with 00buck, the other with a flare... the idea being you could launch the flare into a dark room and light up the bad guy before you... er...
light up the bad guy.

The brilliance of this plan, is that if you fail to hit the dangerous burglar with your single round of defensive ammo (which is likely- marine flares are NOT for area illumination), he will only have a few moments to kill and rob you before your house is engulfed in flames.

Seriously though, enjoy your coach gun.

Gatorfarmer

Post by Gatorfarmer » Sat Aug 08, 2009 2:29 pm

If you want a flare gun, buy a 25mm one. 12 gauge flares sort of suck and that's a big flare gun to lug around.

Five shot shell holders can be had at your local Walmart as hunting season starts. You'll need Gorilla tape to help hold it in place.

Any gunsmith can drill the holes and install sling swivel studs. Or you can just improvise a carry strap using a two dollar M16 sling and more Gorilla tape.

If you want a light on, buy one of the Surefires that can withstand recoil. Call Surefire and ask which one you'll need. Since there is no rail, or easy way to mount it on your shotgun, break out that Gorilla tape again. Eight dollars a roll at Walmart or thereabouts.

You'll probably want a slip on recoil pad too. I've had two of the Stoegers, and still have one.

jeremy1391
Favorite Zombie Movies: night of the living dead
dawn of the dead (old and new)
day of the dead (original)
28 weeks later
land of the dead
diary of the dead (very well done)

Post by jeremy1391 » Sat Aug 08, 2009 3:13 pm

DON'T USE FLARES!!!! You would probably go to jail for shooting someone with a flare, it could be seen as excessive and cruel and unusual.

For accesories keep it plain, it's a coach gun not an M4
for lighting use a head lamp.
Pimping out a coach gun would be like putting a stereo system in a horse drawn buggy!
the_klenzer wrote:
And finally.... if you are drunk enough, and your buddy dares you...
just tell yourself "if it's good enough for Les Stroud..."

Czechnology
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Czechnology » Sat Aug 08, 2009 3:22 pm

If you're looking for something to "pimp out" you bought the wrong gun. If you're looking for a range toy, or a passable home defense weapon, you're spot on.
Nothing is ever what it seems, but everything is exactly what it is.
Vicarious_Lee wrote:If Nutnfacny were an 8-ounce chicken fried steak, he'd come with 72 ounces of batter around it that you have to slash through to get to it.

MicSteve

Post by MicSteve » Sat Aug 08, 2009 4:05 pm

I think you miss understand me when I speak of "pimping out" the coach gun. Literally the only things I was thinking of adding to it were a shell holder for the butt stock, sling, and possibly the light. If I wanted a coach gun to pimp out I would have gone for the double defense.

I like the idea of getting the head light. Probably cheaper and a lot more useful in other roles.

What about this http://www.houtsenterprises.org/shotgun_bsh.htm for the butt stock? Anyone have any experience with it and how well it would stay on?

As for the flares I was thinking more along the lines of if I were out in the woods and got lost/hurt using them for signaling, not illuminating a room too shoot a bad guy. I figure that way I could worry about just lugging around the shotty and not have to carry a flare gun as well. If they're not good for this situation, oh well, it was just an idea I had.

I'd also prefer to keep from using tape whenever and where ever possible. The link to the shell holder has a sling attachment on it. Is there a sling that would allow me to attach it to that and then somehow rig it to the barrel as well without the use of tape?

I was still wondering about a shotgun scabbard and how practical that might be. Some of the leather ones look pretty nice but are way to expensive for my tastes. The way I figure it if I'm bugging out I plan on carrying something else as my main, if I manage to bring the shotty with I could put it in its scabbard and attach it to my pack. So, would a sling really be worth the trouble?

pyratemime

Post by pyratemime » Sat Aug 08, 2009 4:18 pm

For cheap you can't go wrong here on the shell carrier.

"It wouldn't hurt you people to think like a serial killer every now and again. You know just for the sake of prevention!" - Foamy the Squirrel
DaJoker wrote:In regards to us "normal" humans... well that's why its best to follow pyratemime's advice.

Jaybow

Post by Jaybow » Sat Aug 08, 2009 5:00 pm

a jar of shine and a cigar would go right along with that sbs.

yossarian
Favorite Zombie Movies: Army of Darkness, Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead(remake)

Post by yossarian » Sun Aug 09, 2009 1:56 am

I like the headlamp idea too. They're very useful for a variety of things; night fishing, working under a car, caving, camping and providing a nice bright focal point for return fire.
" So, brave knights,
if you do doubt your courage or your strength, come no further,
for death awaits you all with nasty, big, pointy teeth."

MicSteve

Post by MicSteve » Sun Aug 09, 2009 8:03 am

...providing a nice bright focal point for return fire.
Wouldn't that be the same problem with a gun mounted light?

Anyone know if this would fit a coach gun?
http://www.combatsportsupply.com/index. ... ProdID=681
For cheap you can't go wrong here on the shell carrier.
I saw that one and just thought the picture looked a little sketchy but that would work just fine for my needs.

Rick12337
Favorite Zombie Movies: most of romeros stuff is good

Post by Rick12337 » Sun Aug 09, 2009 8:10 am

honestly I would rather have someone shooting at the light on my gun then the one dead center of my fore head. Why not get the cheap elastic shell holders they sell almost evrywhere along with a shotgun bandolier or belt?

MicSteve

Post by MicSteve » Sun Aug 09, 2009 9:16 am

I am I just wanted to get one that holds 6 shells instead of the standard 5. What can I say it doesn't make sense to me to have a 5 shell holder with a 2 shot shotgun.

WESTSIDE09

Post by WESTSIDE09 » Sun Aug 09, 2009 11:05 am

jeremy1391 wrote:DON'T USE FLARES!!!! You would probably go to jail for shooting someone with a flare, it could be seen as excessive and cruel and unusual.

Flares are all good. A few years ago a Special Weapons Team from a large department in CA were in a prolonged firefight with an armed suspect in a improvised desert bunker. The weapons fire had limited effect, so some quick thinking deputies retrieved some road flares from their patrol car, and in no time, one dead suspect in a burning bunker. The local media were "shocked", but the Sheriff only answered, if the situation justified deadly force, burning the suspect to death was acceptable. :twisted:

EeeNinja
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead
Army of Darkness
Evil Dead I &II
Dead Alive

Post by EeeNinja » Sun Aug 09, 2009 12:56 pm

WESTSIDE09 wrote:
jeremy1391 wrote:DON'T USE FLARES!!!! You would probably go to jail for shooting someone with a flare, it could be seen as excessive and cruel and unusual.

Flares are all good. A few years ago a Special Weapons Team from a large department in CA were in a prolonged firefight with an armed suspect in a improvised desert bunker. The weapons fire had limited effect, so some quick thinking deputies retrieved some road flares from their patrol car, and in no time, one dead suspect in a burning bunker. The local media were "shocked", but the Sheriff only answered, if the situation justified deadly force, burning the suspect to death was acceptable. :twisted:

http://articles.latimes.com/2003/oct/28 ... me-kueck28" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Deadly force is deadly force...

yossarian
Favorite Zombie Movies: Army of Darkness, Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead(remake)

Post by yossarian » Sun Aug 09, 2009 2:49 pm

MicSteve wrote:Wouldn't that be the same problem with a gun mounted light?

That's why weapon lights have or should have a momentary on. Try strobing a headlamp while moving and doing anything let alone using a shotgun.
" So, brave knights,
if you do doubt your courage or your strength, come no further,
for death awaits you all with nasty, big, pointy teeth."

charlie505
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 days, Resident evil, Shawn of the Dead

Post by charlie505 » Sun Aug 09, 2009 3:43 pm

But so much fun!!!

charlie505
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 days, Resident evil, Shawn of the Dead

Post by charlie505 » Sun Aug 09, 2009 3:45 pm

I want to get one with external hammers so I can get back to my Sicilian roots - Da Godfather!!!

MicSteve

Post by MicSteve » Sun Aug 09, 2009 3:53 pm

OK lets move on from the flares. I'm not planning on getting them as some kind of alternative weapon. The only scenario I was thinking of using them in I already stated above. Just thought that maybe if out and about in the woods and got lost or hurt they would make for a good signal, that is all.

I didn't know that about the gun mounted lights. It was again just a thought anyways and not a huge concern to me.

So no one knows anything about the shotgun scabbards and if they are worth anything at all? I'm not looking to be super tactical or anything like that, just looking for an easy way to carry the bugger around other then by hand.

ultra magnus

Post by ultra magnus » Sun Aug 09, 2009 4:06 pm

If you are going to be hinking and want your shotgun with you the scabberd would probably be good to mount on a pack. If you are just going to be strolling through the woods and not really carrying anything but the shotgun I'd just sling it.

Cain
Favorite Zombie Movies: Fido

Post by Cain » Sun Aug 09, 2009 4:55 pm

In all seriousness - flares can get stuck quite easily in chokes other than cylinder. Barrels melt.

As for the scabbards, I personally didn't find any that worked worth a damn. The best thing I found was a sling that slipped over the butt, tied down, and slipped over the barrels down to the fore-end. It was a bit clumsy looking, but worked fantastically well.

Moving on from that, your Stoeger is too long... mine fits in a holster. :wink:

http://img31.imageshack.us/img31/4527/lupara3.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
You see, when night falls and you close your eyes to sleep and dream, I have seen the things that you can only dream about. I have been there. I was lost at sea for a long time. But I have been there. Oh yes. All the way and back.

Osiris Risen
Favorite Zombie Movies: The first three Romero movies, Dance of the Dead, Versus, Flight of the Living Dead (Zombies on a Plane), and most anything else really.

Post by Osiris Risen » Sun Aug 09, 2009 5:01 pm

That's a gorgeous gun, I am quite envious. The thought of adding anything to it makes me cringe, but do what you've got to do (but PLEASE, no duct tape). I'd get a nice leather sling like this, that doesn't require mounts. It should be just fine for hunting, and you can leave it off when you're at home so it'll be ready for home defense use. I'd get a nice leather scabbard like this for carrying on a pack, I'd probably get one even if I didn't plan to take it anywhere because it looks so cool. I'd also probably need to get a horse, just to complete the ensemble.
Never trust a corpse.

Return to “General Firearms Discussion”