CETME or L1A1?

General discussions regarding topics that aren't covered in one of the other sub-forums. NO DISCUSSION OF POLITICS!

Moderators: ZS Global Moderators, ZS Postal Match Officers

CETME or L1A1

CETME
5%
L1A1
88%
$650 is too much to pay for either
4%
Neither, spend the $650 on another rifle (specify in a post)
4%

Total votes: 57

Blasphemous

CETME or L1A1?

Post by Blasphemous » Tue Aug 04, 2009 6:16 pm

All things equal, same amount of mags, stock furniture and etc... even the price is the same, $650. Would you prefer the CETME or the L1A1? The gun shop was saying that the CETME is a better buy over all. They were saying there's a bigger accessory market and less recoil by design. I don't know the difference or either.

I'm selling my WASR-10 AK47 to get a .308, I've been wanting to for a while. It'll be a huge step up in terms of capability.
Veteran of Z-Con 2006-2010

Chef
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Whatever that one with Bruce Campbell in it was

Re: CETME or L1A1?

Post by Chef » Tue Aug 04, 2009 6:21 pm

jvandenhaus hasn't responded yet, but I agree with him regardless. Go with the L1A1.
Orville Wright did not have a pilot's license.

Ufdyixcaff

Post by Ufdyixcaff » Tue Aug 04, 2009 6:21 pm

An L1A1, for $650 and the CETME is the better deal?

Either there is something incredibly wrong with that L1A1...
Or you are about to fucking STEAL that rifle from a passle of retards working the gun counter.

No middle ground there.

Jeriah
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Original Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead 04, and 28 Days Later are my top three, in that order.

Post by Jeriah » Tue Aug 04, 2009 6:33 pm

KeepItSimpleStupid wrote:An L1A1, for $650 and the CETME is the better deal?

Or you are about to fucking STEAL that rifle from a passle of retards working the gun counter.

No middle ground there.
Agreed. There is no reason on Earth that a Cetme and an L1A1 should ever be the same price, unless the Cetme is unfired and the L1A1 is unfirable. :lol:

foehunter

Post by foehunter » Tue Aug 04, 2009 6:39 pm

650 for an L1A1 :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

dude the common price for an L1 on gun broker is right around 2000
If you decide you want the cetme i will drive to werever you are to buy the L1a1

Foe

MΟΛΩN ΛABE
Jeriah wrote:We sleep naked, and I usually wake up with boner. YOU BETTER RUN!
Heart of the Moon wrote: I have done something stupid

SimonZayne

Post by SimonZayne » Tue Aug 04, 2009 6:40 pm

What they said.
I've also found it is much easier to find accessories for the L1A1

Dead_Cell

Post by Dead_Cell » Tue Aug 04, 2009 6:42 pm

I would book a plane ticket tonight for this 650 L1A1.

foehunter

Post by foehunter » Tue Aug 04, 2009 6:49 pm

i allready called it :twisted:
PICS PICS PICS

Foe

MΟΛΩN ΛABE
Jeriah wrote:We sleep naked, and I usually wake up with boner. YOU BETTER RUN!
Heart of the Moon wrote: I have done something stupid

Abacus
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Abacus » Tue Aug 04, 2009 7:16 pm

$650 for an L1A1...I'll take seven.

I'm sure what this really is is a Entreprise, or CAI receiver with (hopefully) a Commonwealth parts kit. And there is nothing wrong with this. All guns were parts guns once.

Make sure you know the differences between an L1A1 and a FAL before you buy. Both will serve you well, but know the differences so you aren't disappointed when you try to put an inch mag into a FAL.

I like CETMEs, but there is no real comparison between the two. The L1A1 (and it's slightly less cool cousin, the FAL) is just about the most incredible rifle design ever.

Once you strip one, you'll see what I mean, it's so incredibly simple and elegant, yet amazingly robust. Nothing else is like it. It has power, accuracy, and to me, the ergonomics are superb.

The CETME does have the advantage of really cheap mags, though FAL mags are only about $12 or so. L1A1 mags are about double that.

I'm always ready to evangelize the L1A1.
ImageImage

Hachiman
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead
Army of Darkness

Post by Hachiman » Tue Aug 04, 2009 7:29 pm

CETME isn't even in the same ball park. I will say this though, if you need to sell your WASR to afford the FAL\L1A1 ammo is going to kill you.....but I would do it anyway :D You can find AK's affordable anywhere.
~Hachi~

ZS Fleet Number ZS-0140
brothaman wrote: you seem to like the abuse so I figured I'd jump in for a kick or 2.
ZSC:014 Texas Gulf Coast Chapter of Zombie Squad

DaveJohns
Favorite Zombie Movies: C-SPAN!

Post by DaveJohns » Tue Aug 04, 2009 8:44 pm

I have a Cetme. Get the L1A1, and we will trade! :)
"It could be that the purpose of my life is simply to serve as a warning to others"

KJ4MVP

My FAK
My BoB
My stuff for sale!

I survived LA Camp and Shoot 09

MJS8725
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead.

Post by MJS8725 » Tue Aug 04, 2009 8:47 pm

Buy the L1A1. A buddy of mine is holding one for me. I fell in love after shooting it. Buy it and don't look back.
Evil unchecked grows, evil tolerated poisons the entire system.- Jawaharlal Nehru

Gatorfarmer

Post by Gatorfarmer » Tue Aug 04, 2009 8:47 pm

I don't know. For 650 that L1A1 is possibly a Century. When buying a Century, you really need to take someone along that knows what to look for.

What's the gun for? What else do you have?

yossarian
Favorite Zombie Movies: Army of Darkness, Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead(remake)

Post by yossarian » Tue Aug 04, 2009 10:26 pm

Gatorarmer wrote "For 650 that L1A1 is possibly a Century

I would assume so or you have just found found the dumbest pack of hillbillies to ever open a gunstore. If they told you the CETME was a better buy then take in $600 cash for the L1A1, offer $550 and if you don't like it sell it on gunbroker for $650-$700. Or here for what you've got in it.
" So, brave knights,
if you do doubt your courage or your strength, come no further,
for death awaits you all with nasty, big, pointy teeth."

Trebor

Post by Trebor » Tue Aug 04, 2009 10:47 pm

I have a Century CETME and a smith built FN FAL. My FAL is an all metric pattern rifle, but the differences between metric and inch pattern are pretty much insignificant in terms of function. The inch pattern controls are larger, and that's nice, but they both are solid rifles.

I lucked out with my Century CETME. It seems to be "one of the good ones" in that it works with no problems. It's accurate enough for what it is and is reasonably fun to shoot. The worst thing about it is that the selector is set up so that you go up for "Fire" and down for "Safe." It should be the other way around and it makes it difficult to quickly take the gun off-safe. (Although it's lightening fast to put it back on-safe. But, how many fights are determined by how quickly you can safe your weapon?)

My smith built FAL is twice the rifle of the CETME. The build quality is better, the rifle is more accurate, and it's more fun to shoot. It's much easier to chamber a round and field stripping the rifle is also easier.

I think the FN FAL design is better then the G3/HK-91/CETME design, from a user's point of view.

The only catch is that so much depends on who built the specific rifle in question. Century has built both FAL's and CETMES and the quality varies widely. A "good" Century CETME might be a better rifle then a "bad" Century FAL build in that the rifle that works is better then the rifle that doesn't.

I'd go with the L1A1 myself, but expect to have to troubleshoot and fix possible problems if it's a Century build. It may be all inch parts or a mix of metric and inch parts. The QC may be mediocre and you may have function problems that you'll need to diagnose and correct. If it has a thumbhold stock you'll have to figure out the best way to replace the furniture while keeping 922 r compliant.
----
R.I.P HK33K - Gone, but not forgetten.

Richter

Post by Richter » Tue Aug 04, 2009 10:54 pm

KeepItSimpleStupid wrote:An L1A1, for $650 and the CETME is the better deal?

No middle ground there.

ROTFL!!!!!!

almost sig worthy

Blasphemous

Post by Blasphemous » Tue Aug 04, 2009 11:54 pm

Sounds like there's a couple of you very familiar with the rifles. Both are marked as used rifles and the L1A1 was $700, but has been marked down.

Regardless, what should I be looking for in these two rifles? Something I can look at just while inspecting the rifle at the gun store. I can't tear it apart, so it'll have to cosmetic items or something I can see just opening the bolt. I had thought the CETME was the red-headed step-child to the L1A1, but the guy at the counter threw me for a loop.

Gatorfarmer

Post by Gatorfarmer » Wed Aug 05, 2009 12:02 am

Blasphemous wrote:Sounds like there's a couple of you very familiar with the rifles. Both are marked as used rifles and the L1A1 was $700, but has been marked down.

Regardless, what should I be looking for in these two rifles? Something I can look at just while inspecting the rifle at the gun store. I can't tear it apart, so it'll have to cosmetic items or something I can see just opening the bolt. I had thought the CETME was the red-headed step-child to the L1A1, but the guy at the counter threw me for a loop.
A CETME is more related to the G3 family than the FAL family.

Honestly... I don't know, if you can't take one apart to have a look see and don't have someone to help look it over...

Do you like to tinker and mess around with stuff if one turns out to be a problem or do you just want a rifle that you know works in .308?

Can we talk you into getting a Saiga instead and just tweaking it into a 922r compliant more evil version? It'd come in about the same price range.

Blasphemous

Post by Blasphemous » Wed Aug 05, 2009 1:32 am

I don't mind tinkering. I always take every gun I get apart so I can familiarize myself with a complete tear down. That combined with the fact that I'm a modaholic, I can't leave anything alone for too long. Plus, breaking something is a good reason to upgrade.

Blasphemous

Post by Blasphemous » Wed Aug 05, 2009 1:26 pm

Trebor wrote:If it has a thumbhold stock you'll have to figure out the best way to replace the furniture while keeping 922 r compliant.
I just read this and remembered, the L1A1 does have a thumb hole stock. What's be the best way to keep it compliant? I've been looking around and I want to get either a collapsible or side-folder stock, ergo grip, rail system front hand guard and a scope mount for a good red dot that doesn't block the iron sights.

mk_ultra

Post by mk_ultra » Wed Aug 05, 2009 1:29 pm

Between the two the L1A1 is the far superior rifle .

Personally , with the price of 7.62x51 lately , I would seriously consider hanging onto that WASR instead .
This calls for a very special blend of psychology and extreme violence - Vyvyan

Blasphemous

Post by Blasphemous » Wed Aug 05, 2009 1:54 pm

mk_ultra wrote:Between the two the L1A1 is the far superior rifle .

Personally , with the price of 7.62x51 lately , I would seriously consider hanging onto that WASR instead .
I'm willing to take the hit on the ammo, I already shopped several places. Seems the average is about $50 more per 500 rounds. If the WASR doesn't sell soon, I'm just going to stock up on it. My two biggest beefs with the WASR is the iron sights, accuracy and the TAPCO furniture (bought it that way guys).
To make a car comparison out of it; sure a S10 isn't a bad truck as doesn't cost as much to drive, but I want that big nasty 4x4 :lol:

Jeriah
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Original Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead 04, and 28 Days Later are my top three, in that order.

Post by Jeriah » Wed Aug 05, 2009 1:56 pm

Blasphemous wrote:
Trebor wrote:If it has a thumbhold stock you'll have to figure out the best way to replace the furniture while keeping 922 r compliant.
I just read this and remembered, the L1A1 does have a thumb hole stock. What's be the best way to keep it compliant? I've been looking around and I want to get either a collapsible or side-folder stock, ergo grip, rail system front hand guard and a scope mount for a good red dot that doesn't block the iron sights.
DSA has a lot of FAL parts and accessories. I'd check them out, request a catalog.

http://www.dsarms.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There are all sorts of options as far as folding stocks (collapsible doesn't make much sense on an FAL IMHO but some people do it), grips, rails, and scope mounts. First figure out what kind of rifle you want this to be (precision rifle? battle rifle? L1A1 replica? G1 replica? etc.?) and what feature you're going to want it to have. Then figure out what parts you have to replace to keep it legal.

Blasphemous

Post by Blasphemous » Wed Aug 05, 2009 2:19 pm

I want it to be good out to 300 yards, doesn't have to be more than that. I guess for a quick description, I want it to be an Urban MBR.

Return to “General Firearms Discussion”