Going Glock

General discussions regarding topics that aren't covered in one of the other sub-forums. NO DISCUSSION OF POLITICS!

Moderators: ZS Global Moderators, ZS Postal Match Officers

mk_ultra

Going Glock

Post by mk_ultra » Tue Aug 04, 2009 10:13 am

I started my life as a handgun shooter with the 1911 and the Hi-Power . I hated Glocks at first as they were ugly and completely foreign to me .

Years past and i got some trigger time in on the gLock , and was quite surprised to discover that I actually shoot them pretty well . This made like them well enough , but certainly not enough to give up my beloved S/A autos .

In a fit of thinking too much , I sold my 1911s and my DA/SA autos and decided to focus all of my efforts on the Hi-Power . One kind of mag , ammo , holsters , manual of arms , etc . What's not to like ? I carried on like this for several years , and even sent one of my BHPs to Novaks for custom work . This became my go-to gun , and I was happy . :D

Recently I have gotten more trigger time on a Glock , changed some of my shooting techniques ( switched to thumbs forward grip and isosceles stance , shooting to re-set ) and found that not only did my shooting vastly improve on all platforms , but for the first time , I really got the Glock .

I found the G19 , to be pretty much the perfect blend of sze , weight , reliability and firepower , so I set my sights on getting one . Figured I'd give the BHPs a rest and run the 19 for a while and see how I like it , I figured if all goes well , I'd buy another 19 and relegate my BHPs to HD and range use .

Well , life conspires and I just lost my job , money in the bank seems like a great idea , so , I am gonna sell my 2 BHPs , buy another 19 and put the rest in the kitty . Sure , I may miss them someday , but they are replaceable , and I don't really think one can go wrong with having a pair of G19s as my go-to guns .

So , goodbye to my pretty Belgian guns , and hello to these ugly Austrian things . :D

Here's a pic for grins .
This calls for a very special blend of psychology and extreme violence - Vyvyan

REB 27

Re: Going Glock

Post by REB 27 » Tue Aug 04, 2009 10:31 am

Congratulations on seeing the light, MK. :) I carry a G-19 every day and think it's, overall, GLOCK's best. With that said, though, why get rid of your Hi-Powers? They are great weapons. And if you are like me, you may wish you still had them. I HATE getting rid of a gun, I always seem to wish I had it back, later on. Anyway, congrats on "getting it" with the G-19.
F***, I hate clowns!

Chevron seven, locked!

Scarlett Ruger

Post by Scarlett Ruger » Tue Aug 04, 2009 10:42 am

You have such a beautiful family... would be very sad indeed to break it up :|

Lenny
Favorite Zombie Movies: All of the them, even the super cheesy unrealistic ones.

Post by Lenny » Tue Aug 04, 2009 10:52 am

Lemme get in here before the Glock haters (I too was one once) arrive.

I have shot a lot of different pistols. I am no "Operator" ,but, nor am I a novice. Yes, there are some very nice SA pistols out there. But for the price, the durability and the wear & tear factor, I really like the Glock. Once someone taught me "shoot to reset" & "two sight pictures, one pull" I started to understand my Glocks much better. Thanks for the good write up.
Oderint Dum Metuant

"A knot ....is either exactly right or it is hopelessly wrong. Make only one change...and either an entirely different knot is made or no knot at all may exist." Clifford W. Ashley

mk_ultra

Post by mk_ultra » Tue Aug 04, 2009 11:18 am

As a "survivalist" , I buy guns like a "survivalist " should , not like a collector . To me that means , multiples of the same , or redundancy in platforms is where it's at . Take that idea and add economy and reliability in , and things make sense .

In this vein , the Glock makes sense , inexpensive price point , easily modifiable to the owners preference , parts availability , common , and interchangeable mags and ease of maintenance .

I am lucky one of the lucky ones and the Glock fits my hands . During the last handgun class I took , I found myself wishing I had a Glock while running my BHP . I had two user induced malfunctions while shooting in a high thumbs forward grip because my support hand thumb was riding up on the slide release lever , and I found myself jealous of the Glock guys while doing malfunction drills because of the ease of slingshotting that aircraft carrier wide slide .

Like I said , I am certain I will miss the HPs , but I need the cash now , and the Glock will certainly do the job and then some . I have the rest of my life to buy pretty guns , but for now laying out a basic battery of pistols , I think the Glocks will do good service and are a very good choice for a "survivalist" or any person who chooses to be armed for that matter .

Kelvar
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Living Dead (1968), Dawn of the Dead (2004), Shaun of the Dead, Zombieland

Post by Kelvar » Tue Aug 04, 2009 11:28 am

I understand completely. I carried DA/SA Smith & Wessons for years. I trained with them, went through the police academy with one, etc. I was a "Glock hater" for years. Fast forward a few years and now after getting more trigger time with Glocks I have come around to thinking like mk_ultra. I'm planning on picking up a Glock 19 in the near future. I'm not crazy about the grip angle and because I'm used to having a manual safety I sort of wish Glocks had them. But I've found that I shoot Glocks as accurately or more accurately than a lot of other pistols, I really like their triggers, they've got a great reputation for reliability, etc. I guess there's a reason they're so popular. :D

And I definitely would have hung on to at least one of those Brownings. They're kind of hard to find these days...
Failure to plan means planning to fail.
JamesCannon wrote:I was more mad that it was closed down, because I loved the dish that was apparently rat meat.
Meat N' Taters wrote:Death rays, advanced technology or not, no creature wants to be stabbed in their hoo-hoo.
Pig wrote:How dare you try to bribe me with amenities like anime, Annie Mae, my sea anemone enemy!?

Civilian Scout

Post by Civilian Scout » Tue Aug 04, 2009 11:41 am

I had a very similar experience a few years ago, and I think you've made a wise decision. Lots of clever people have two G19s as their go-to guns. 8)

I'm kind of glad you didn't buy mine now! :lol:
"Now, let us gather our strength from the violence of the elements!" - Captain Terror

Gatorfarmer

Post by Gatorfarmer » Tue Aug 04, 2009 1:16 pm

You'll regret it eventually, but in the long run we're all dead anyway as everyone's favorite controversial economist once quipped. Still... BHPs are increasingly difficult to replace, and expensive to do so. They also don't quite make them how they used to, esp if you have older all Belgian guns, or even Browning labeled ones assembled in Portugal. The FN logo ones are somewhat lacking at times. I've had a lot of handguns over the years, and the BHP hits a "sweet spot" in many ways, despite the age of the design.

Anyway... You might want to try a G34 before settling entirely on the G19. They're the same basic size as a full size 1911, so can still be concealed. The longer sight radius and slight gain in velocity, as well as some sort of magic handling properties that this model has makes them an interesting and often overlooked member of the Glock family. If you want to run hot ammo, it's perfectly possible to get .357 Sig level ballistics out of one. I paired one with a G26 to take care of my mandatory suggested allowance of Glockishness. (The G32 that I've had kicking around is getting traded for a 5" 27-2.)

OkieZombies
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later*, All of Romero's Movies

Post by OkieZombies » Tue Aug 04, 2009 4:04 pm

I was the same way, sir.

I've kept my BHP because it's beautiful and I want to pass it on to heirs someday. It's a classic pistol. Even if you aren't a collector, they are worth hanging onto. Very fine pistols, and in the ZPAW, if you've got buddies who are trained on 1911's who lose their pistol for whatever reason (anything can happen in the ZPAW) they should be comfortable with the controls. THey are also easy to clean and maintain.

With that said, I <3 Glocks, especially with the NY1 trigger. I find Glocks with NY1 trigger and DA revolvers are my favorite right now for their simplicity.... I just didn't like the lighter factory trigger on the Glock, and the NY1 doesn't hurt my scores at all.

I hate carrying the BHP though. A Glock 21 with 13 rounds of .45 weighs less than a BHP with 13 rounds of 9mm, and no sharp edges either.
Glock 21SF for sale
http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... 29&start=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
JamesCannon wrote:First they came for the cough medicine and I said nothing, because my throat hurt.

Code: Select all

A65864
Opn U  Pro D  Rev U
Ltd U  L10 C  SS  U
http://www.uspsa.org/cgi-bin/db_lookup_class.cgi?number=a65864

Bear_B

Post by Bear_B » Tue Aug 04, 2009 4:16 pm

Welcome to my world... :twisted:

Paladin1

Post by Paladin1 » Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:21 pm

+1 on the G34. I wouldn't call it a concealable pistol by any stretch. But as a goto sidearm it's one of the best. Loaded with 18 rds of corbon DPX +P's and you've got a handfull of accurate firepower.
WWSD?

nimdabew
Favorite Zombie Movies: DOTD
I am ledgend

Post by nimdabew » Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:58 pm

Should have gotten a brace of FNP-9's. I like them a lot better than the glocks I have fired, and they are comparable in size, weight, and firepower (FNP-9 has 1 more round though). I am not against glocks, it's just I shoot better with a FNP-9 than the glock.
Thanks Anianna!
12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:I say when Wee Drop visits the US, we make her ride a goat. You know, like those little monkey cowboys they have at some rodeos. :lol:

Ashemaru

Post by Ashemaru » Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:58 pm

I've had similar thoughts, but then my SIG P228 pistol-whips me and reminds me that I'm its bitch, now and forever. It will not tolerate the company of Glocks, and talk of selling it only inclines it to use its ring hand.

"When your bow is broken and your last arrow
spent, then shoot, shoot with your whole
heart."

trickyasafox

Post by trickyasafox » Tue Aug 04, 2009 6:03 pm

Your logic is very sound I think. I'm a steel lover myself, but I still own 3 glocks and think they are pretty top notch. If I may make a suggestion, if your not deadset on the g19, try a g23. To shoot 9mm you only need a conversion barrel and mags- with the barrel only costing about a hundred dollars from lone wolf. I have a g23 that I shoot a LOT. If I didn't cast and reload, I'd have a conversion barrel for it as well- but honestly the difference in powder and drain on my lead supply isn't enough for me to justify the added expense

(I know a lot of people don't shoot lead in glocks. We'll save it for another thread, lets just agree some do it and some dont)

Bigcat_hunter

Post by Bigcat_hunter » Tue Aug 04, 2009 6:08 pm

I am still trying to figure out why you sold your 1911? Out of all the guns I have had over the years my 1911 will never leave my possession and will be passed down to my son when I take a dirt nap. Personal preference I guess.
http://www.rimrockfirearms.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mountain Rooster
Favorite Zombie Movies: Mad Max, Blade Runner, Red Dawn, Dawn of the Dead, Night of the Comet, Army of Darkness, Jericho

Post by Mountain Rooster » Tue Aug 04, 2009 6:14 pm

+1 on the G23. I have had one for years and it is my go to gun. I like the simplicity and trust the reliability.
"If I had eight hours to chop down a tree i'd spend six hours sharpening my axe."Abraham Lincoln

foehunter

Post by foehunter » Tue Aug 04, 2009 6:32 pm

This is the reason i hate the debate posts.I think you said it perfectly
Years past and i got some trigger time in on the gLock , and was quite surprised to discover that I actually shoot them pretty well
. You can always have youre mind changed about something. If you know your gun, you know to shoot it you know how to repare it , you have the perfect survival gun. Notice all the bolds? The platfrom you shoot with doesnt matter half as much as you, the person behind the trigger. Honest to god ( even though you prolly wont beleive it) there is a kid that shoots bowling pins every sunday at my range with a high point and he shames me ALL the time with his fast and accurate shooting.
That said im glad you found a platform you shoot well with. Glock does make a great gun. Get some more range time in and let us know in a year how you still feel about them

Foe

MΟΛΩN ΛABE
Jeriah wrote:We sleep naked, and I usually wake up with boner. YOU BETTER RUN!
Heart of the Moon wrote: I have done something stupid

joro

Post by joro » Tue Aug 04, 2009 6:33 pm

Sorry to hear you lost your job, I wish you well in finding another.
10 0011 10101

Mr.Pliskin

Post by Mr.Pliskin » Wed Aug 05, 2009 9:22 am

foehunter wrote:This is the reason i hate the debate posts.I think you said it perfectly
Years past and i got some trigger time in on the gLock , and was quite surprised to discover that I actually shoot them pretty well
. You can always have youre mind changed about something. If you know your gun, you know to shoot it you know how to repare it , you have the perfect survival gun. Notice all the bolds? The platfrom you shoot with doesnt matter half as much as you, the person behind the trigger. Honest to god ( even though you prolly wont beleive it) there is a kid that shoots bowling pins every sunday at my range with a high point and he shames me ALL the time with his fast and accurate shooting.
That said im glad you found a platform you shoot well with. Glock does make a great gun. Get some more range time in and let us know in a year how you still feel about them

Foe

Ha HA... you used fast, accurate, and high point all in the same sentance.

Good decision on the glock, I too was once a glock hater. I would go all day on how great my Beretta was. That was until I was given a Glock 19 to use for a class, from then on it was a match made in heaven. Since then I have had a 19, sure I have bought quite a few other guns seeeing if they were any better for me, but I always end up selling them and buying another glock. And now I just buy glocks first, owning 2 19's a 17 and 26.

But sadly if you leave the 17 and 19 in the safe together over night, you dont get another 26 in 9 months

mk_ultra

Post by mk_ultra » Wed Aug 05, 2009 1:27 pm

Thanks for the encouragement fellas .

I would not be selling the BHPs , but my current job situation (none as of last week ) leads me to think , I may be better off having the cash in the bank .

As far as the 1911s go , I really enjoy shooting them , but as time went on , I began to trust their reliability less and less . I was also trying to consolidate calibers , so off they went . I will probably own another someday as a range gun .

As to the G23 , well simply , I do not like the 40 S&W round , so , it's not an option . To me nine is fine .

Nim , the FNPs are good guns , no doubt , but for what I was looking to accomplish , buying a pair of go-to handguns striclty from a "survivalist" standpoint , the Glocks make more sense .
joro wrote:Sorry to hear you lost your job, I wish you well in finding another.
Thanks man , appreciate it . :D

Chromepulse

Post by Chromepulse » Wed Aug 05, 2009 2:40 pm

I did the same thing, except I went with .40 S&W. In my neck of the woods, I find the savings in guns and mags due to loads of cheap police trade-ins more than offset the difference in ammo. You can buy used Fo-tays all day long for less than the Nines, and during the post election panic buying the ammo was easier to find as well.
Plus I got a AA conversion which I do most of my shooting on anyway.

Kabong30
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead '78, 28 Days Later (not strictly zombie?) WWZ when it comes out :)

Post by Kabong30 » Wed Aug 05, 2009 4:11 pm

Glocks are fine pistols, but they are insanely, outrageously over-rated. I like the grip angle better on my XD. Sorry you had to get rid of the other guns, though. That sucks.
"1911 mag, twinkie, twinkie, cupcake, primary weapon mag" - Chris Costa
Sig_Ocelot wrote:Nintendo drops the ball!!!! They don't make hybrid cars, what's up with that? I can't ride my Wii to work, this is bullshit. :evil:

BunkerBuster
BANNED
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by BunkerBuster » Wed Aug 05, 2009 4:26 pm

Kabong30 wrote:Glocks are fine pistols, but they are insanely, outrageously over-rated. I like the grip angle better on my XD. Sorry you had to get rid of the other guns, though. That sucks.
I agree 100%. I'm not a glock fan, there are definitely better options for the money. The one glock I do love is the G36 in 45acp. That's one of my carry guns.
The war is coming to the streets of America and if you are not keeping and bearing and practicing with your arms then you will be helpless and you will be the victim of evil. - Ted Nugent

Haji
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Resident Evil 1,2, and 3, and the Samuel scene from Diary of the Dead. I'm working my way through the worst of them of late, too.

Post by Haji » Thu Aug 06, 2009 1:55 pm

:lol:
I don't carry a gun in case I get in a gun fight. I carry a gun because I don't want to miss the opportunity to get in a gun fight. - Officer Timmy

http://www.atstacticalgear.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Return to “General Firearms Discussion”