Going Glock

General discussions regarding topics that aren't covered in one of the other sub-forums. NO DISCUSSION OF POLITICS!

Moderators: ZS Global Moderators, ZS Postal Match Officers

Matt E.

Re: Going Glock

Post by Matt E. » Thu Aug 06, 2009 4:43 pm

MK,

Good call. I don't rate Glocks. I just shoot them. Switching to the Glock allowed me to put aside any preconceived notions about a particular firearm and just worry about shooting and training.
Glocks aren't perfect...but neither is any thing else. Especially for the price.

You made a good choice.
"...And you would probably wind up with one of those souvenir miniature bats, because that is the kind of thing that happens when untrained people pick out unfamiliar equipment based on what "feels" right."

yossarian
Favorite Zombie Movies: Army of Darkness, Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead(remake)

Post by yossarian » Thu Aug 06, 2009 10:03 pm

Matt E. wrote:MK,

Glocks aren't perfect...but neither is any thing else

Except the Hi-power, John Moses Brownings finest work. Don't do it, especially that Novak gun. It's a bad time time to buy a Glock, sure prices are coming down a bit but they're still inflated and its still not a Hi-power. Sell the G19 you have, sell plasma, sell the kitchen table, whatever you need to do to be financially solvent. But you'll never be able to replace the gun that finally scratched the itch. I'll wager that quite a few on this board have sold guns out of genuine necessity and it always suck no matter the gun, its just so much worse when it's the gun you always wanted. Anyway, my 2 cents. If you do decide you need to sell it there is pride in knowing that you have what it takes to do right by you and yours.
" So, brave knights,
if you do doubt your courage or your strength, come no further,
for death awaits you all with nasty, big, pointy teeth."

Matt E.

Post by Matt E. » Thu Aug 06, 2009 10:21 pm

I'm an equal opportunity kind of guy. I think you should get or keep what you want providing you have a good understanding of the weapon and you have adequate training.
However, I'd like to know what makes the BHP perfect? What makes it better then anything else? Why, for the most part has it gone the way of the dodo bird in this country?
I'd ask you not to cloud your answers with "feelings". I'm curious as to how it performs when compared to other modern pistols.
Thanks.
"...And you would probably wind up with one of those souvenir miniature bats, because that is the kind of thing that happens when untrained people pick out unfamiliar equipment based on what "feels" right."

yossarian
Favorite Zombie Movies: Army of Darkness, Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead(remake)

Post by yossarian » Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:14 pm

It has "gone the way of the dodo" largely due to manufacturing costs, at least as far as the original FN/Browning guns are concerned. They are no longer produced by FN/Browning at this point. They perform much like a reliable 1911 in a milder shooting, high capacity platform that lacks the unecessary and sometimes annoying grip safety. They never gained the same foothold here in the US as the 1911. For two reasons I suspect. The 1911 has an unmatched nostalgia due to its history in our military and the 9mm luger cartridge was/is slow to be accepted as a serious defensive caliber. (no 9mm vs. 45ACP please) I don't knock glocks, they are good guns for what they are inexpensive, mass produced sidearms designed to effectively and relaibly arm a variety of shooters with varying levels of skill and training.However, they lack the distinction and ,to me, superior ergonomics and shootability of the Hi-power. I will admit to a certain amount of bias, the Hi-power is my "Holy Grail" as well, for now I'm making due with an FEG knockoff.
" So, brave knights,
if you do doubt your courage or your strength, come no further,
for death awaits you all with nasty, big, pointy teeth."

USMCSergeant

Post by USMCSergeant » Fri Aug 07, 2009 1:17 am

Nothing wrong with glock! I carry a G30, and my wife carries the G26. I also own a G19 and it is a pleasant shooting pistol. They are all concealable with the right holster, and they all will fire every time you pull the trigger.

bookshop

Post by bookshop » Fri Aug 07, 2009 5:53 am

Don't sell until you have to. Otherwise the money will get spent and you'll be trading the glocks for food.
Vegan Gun Owners of America

mk_ultra

Post by mk_ultra » Fri Aug 07, 2009 9:26 am

To those telling me not to do it , sorry , I sold the Novak to a friend yesterday . (still need to sell the other one and the accessories)

We went to the range so , he could shoot the Novak gun and the factory MKIII side by side and decide which one he wanted . Funny thing was , I brought my new G19 along to put a few mags through it and much to my surprise I shot it better than the Novak gun .

To me , at this point it looks like I am losing nothing on the deal .

In fact it has freed up some funds to invest back into some final tweaks I have been wanting to make to my ARs . :D

At this point I am happy with my decision , it is just another step in my evolution as a shooter .

:D
This calls for a very special blend of psychology and extreme violence - Vyvyan

trickyasafox

Post by trickyasafox » Fri Aug 07, 2009 2:49 pm

any plans for a 22 lr conversion? that could really help save costs shooting until you get your work situation squared away

(GL by the way on the job hunt)

Matt E.

Post by Matt E. » Fri Aug 07, 2009 8:37 pm

mk_ultra wrote: We went to the range so , he could shoot the Novak gun and the factory MKIII side by side and decide which one he wanted . Funny thing was , I brought my new G19 along to put a few mags through it and much to my surprise I shot it better than the Novak gun .

In fact it has freed up some funds to invest back into some final tweaks I have been wanting to make to my ARs .

At this point I am happy with my decision , it is just another step in my evolution as a shooter .
I think you have stated some important things here.
1) it is QUITE common to shoot glocks well. Particularly in 9mm. Like the BHP it sits very low in the hand and has a light, short trigger.
2) The money you save buying a GLock leaves more to buy accessories, ammo and training. It is one of the VERY few places in the shooting world where you pay little and get a lot in return.
3) Your last sentence was very switched on. Understanding that you don't know what you don't know is the first step toward becoming better. I was once a "BHP guy". However, that was back in the late 80s. Some of the new guns beat it at the game it started. The only real attributes of the HP are that it is comfortable in the hand. Although some like how slim it is, this same slimness actually make it harder to manipulate the pistol while conducting different drills, particularly when wearing gloves. The gun is less reliable then modern designs and far less durable. You can't mount a light on it even if you wanted to. The G19 even holds two more rounds in a standard mag.
I held on to my MK2 for a long time for nostalgic reasons and finally sold it about two years ago because I couldn't think of a single reason why I would grab it opposed to my G19 or SIG 228(at the time). As a good buddy of mine states, sometimes you need to ignore you "feelings" and just dump the bitch. How the gun feels is not relevant and is often not a good indicator of how well you can shoot it. Many have found this out...as you did.

RevolverOcelot

Post by RevolverOcelot » Sat Aug 08, 2009 1:14 am

Welcome to the family!

My G21SF
United States Constitution
Amendment II
A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.

Michigan Constitution
Article 1, § 6 Bearing of arms
Every person has a right to keep and bear arms for the defense of himself and the state.

azg23

Post by azg23 » Sat Aug 08, 2009 1:19 am

Great choice...Ive been GLOCK for almost 13 years now...carry a G30 with G21 spares. Wife carries a G26 with G17 spares and also have a G21....sold of a few of the otehrs Ive had...I carried a G23 for many years before falling for the G30. Ive sold G17, G19, G22, G27...wish I had the G17 back...thats about the only one I REALLY miss.
Brad B.

mk_ultra

Post by mk_ultra » Sat Aug 08, 2009 9:40 am

To me the HP had it all , it was elegant , and reliable and accurate . My last class was an eye-opener .
Matt E. wrote:Although some like how slim it is, this same slimness actually make it harder to manipulate the pistol while conducting different drills, particularly when wearing gloves.
Here you nailed it . This was the deal breaker for me .
Matt E. wrote:As a good buddy of mine states, sometimes you need to ignore you "feelings" and just dump the bitch. How the gun feels is not relevant and is often not a good indicator of how well you can shoot it. Many have found this out...as you did.
Again , you hit it right on the head . :D
This calls for a very special blend of psychology and extreme violence - Vyvyan

Kabong30
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead '78, 28 Days Later (not strictly zombie?) WWZ when it comes out :)

Post by Kabong30 » Sat Aug 08, 2009 1:24 pm

Matt E. wrote:How the gun feels is not relevant and is often not a good indicator of how well you can shoot it. Many have found this out...as you did.
I think it helps. If the gun is ergonomic and fits comfortably in your hand then you are more likely to practice with it and it ups your proficiency with that weapon. This is obviously secondary to reliability and function.
"1911 mag, twinkie, twinkie, cupcake, primary weapon mag" - Chris Costa
Sig_Ocelot wrote:Nintendo drops the ball!!!! They don't make hybrid cars, what's up with that? I can't ride my Wii to work, this is bullshit. :evil:

Dumptruck
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dead series (Romero), 28 Days Later

Post by Dumptruck » Sat Aug 08, 2009 3:18 pm

I used to be of the opinion that the Glock felt like a brick in my hand. However, I decided to run a few rounds through a Glock 21. I left the gun shop with a Glock 21 haha. I learned to like the feel of the gun and as a SHTF pistol it has definite advantages (parts and simplicity of use).

Ran around 2k rounds through it so far without a single hiccup. It is my fiancee's favorite gun and she has small hands.

Matt E.

Post by Matt E. » Sat Aug 08, 2009 7:36 pm

Kabong30 wrote:
Matt E. wrote:How the gun feels is not relevant and is often not a good indicator of how well you can shoot it. Many have found this out...as you did.
I think it helps. If the gun is ergonomic and fits comfortably in your hand then you are more likely to practice with it and it ups your proficiency with that weapon. This is obviously secondary to reliability and function.
Where I may agree with you is when the pistol is way too big (IE you can't reach/manipulate the trigger properly) or it is too small (IE you can't effectively hold the gun, control recoil or manipulate it). I may also agree if the pistol caused physical discomfort. I'm sure only those with the smallest hands could make any of these complaints about a Glock, however.

Arch

Post by Arch » Thu Aug 27, 2009 1:33 pm

MK,

Sorry to hear you lost your job - I didn't know.

I went through a similar handgun evolution - my first handgun (25 years ago at 10 years old :shock: ) was a USGI 1911A1. After many years, and tons of SA, DAO, SA/DA, etc I've decided that while: ugly; inexpensive; ergonomically lacking....the G19 and G23 are "ideal" handguns for me.

Welcome to the reformed Plastic Fantastic crowd.
This thread was my final contribution to ZS:

http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... 25&t=77253" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My invitation to "take a break":

http://www.zombiehunters.org/forum/view ... 1#p1698421" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I will not return to ZS so please don't send PM's. If you'd like to contact me please email...

formerlyZSArch@live.com

Absintheur
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Let's just say I have never seen one I didn't like!

Post by Absintheur » Thu Aug 27, 2009 2:59 pm

I still don't like the Glock, every time I shoot one I have to do drills to get my hand and eyes used to lining up the sights again, the grip angle has always been foreign to me. I have owned several including a very early 17, a 17L that I shot for GSSF shoots, and a 19 that I still own (it is a 2 letter gun). Despite my feelings about them I will be the first to say their reliability is approaching legendary status. My 19 has been used by countless students, main reason I kept it was for training people and it has survived everything I have thrown at it. Like the Ever-Ready Bunny it just keep going and going and going. Without a doubt the Glock is the standard that all other polymer guns are held up to and deservedly so. I just wish Gaston had been a 1911 shooter when he designed the grip angle on the thing!
"I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend." -- J.R.R.Tolkien

Sig_Ocelot

Post by Sig_Ocelot » Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:48 pm

Kabong30 wrote:Glocks are fine pistols, but they are insanely, outrageously over-rated. I like the grip angle better on my XD. Sorry you had to get rid of the other guns, though. That sucks.
I know! I wish my Glock had a shit trigger, finish that wears off after a week of holster use, and a complete inability to buy replacement parts! Oh wait... NM, I'll stick with Glock, Sig, and Walther.

Welcome to the Glock family. They are with out a doubt the best bang for the buck, and even with price put aside, they're almost impossible to beat.
Rush2112 wrote: Somehow I see this phrase ending a lot of sentences in the future:

"...And that's how Sig lost his [eyesight/fingers]."

Istvan56
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead & Night of the Living Dead

Post by Istvan56 » Fri Aug 28, 2009 5:44 am

Congrats on your Glock purchase. My wife has a late Gen I Glock 19 that runs fine despite years of use as a duty gun by the fellow officer I bought it from. I have a Glock 22 that I use as my off duty/EDC gun. (Yes, I leave my issued SIG P229 at work and switch to my Glock 22.)

Haji
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Resident Evil 1,2, and 3, and the Samuel scene from Diary of the Dead. I'm working my way through the worst of them of late, too.

Post by Haji » Fri Aug 28, 2009 11:16 am

I just wish Gaston had been a 1911 shooter when he designed the grip angle on the thing!
I have a couple 1911's, and have had them for decades. The finish is all rubbed off from use. I'm most definitely a dyed in the wool, card carrying 1911 Guy club plank owner. That said, the best thing about the Glock is the grip angle. Gripping it properly contributes not only to its cycling, but to its ability to shoot it fast and accurately. The grip angle isn't an accident, and isn't a design flaw. Its a purpose-built feature that makes the Glock one of the best gunfighter's guns there is.
I don't carry a gun in case I get in a gun fight. I carry a gun because I don't want to miss the opportunity to get in a gun fight. - Officer Timmy

http://www.atstacticalgear.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Oneswunk
Favorite Zombie Movies: Well, your mum rang about you going round tomorrow night, and then Liz rang about the two of you eating out tonight, and then your mum rang back to see if I wanted to eat her out tonight.

Post by Oneswunk » Fri Aug 28, 2009 11:46 am

Also started my love for glocks.
Still love my 1911s but fuck if I dont shoot my G31 so dam well.
Next up is a G33 Im just lovin the .357 sig :twisted:
KEEPER OF THE MEATWORLD SPICEWEASEL.
JoergS wrote:The power of 30 English longbowmen, at your fingertips... sweet.
Vicarious_Lee wrote:I have boners in places I didn't even know I had dicks. :D :D :D

My B.O.A.T
My jeep build
My FAKs

Big B
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, Shawn of the Dead, Army of Darkness, Zombieland, Dawn of the Dead, Etc

Post by Big B » Fri Aug 28, 2009 6:35 pm

Sorry to hear about your job and having to sell your HPs. I am a big fan of 1911's, but I usually carry a Glock (at work a G22 & G27). My girlfriend loves my Glock 23, and is surprisingly good with it considering she is new to firearms. They are great guns, enjoy.

Return to “General Firearms Discussion”