What have you bought in the last 48 hours?(firearms related)

General discussions regarding topics that aren't covered in one of the other sub-forums. NO DISCUSSION OF POLITICS!

Moderators: ZS Global Moderators, ZS Postal Match Officers

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Re: What have you bought in the last 48 hours?(firearms related)

Post by NT2C » Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:49 pm

Hogue Overmold handgrip for my AR
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Fri Oct 18, 2019 8:57 am

NT2C wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:49 pm
Hogue Overmold handgrip for my AR
I am a huge fan of these. I still have the ones I used for two tours in Iraq and they show very little signs of wear.
You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

boskone

Post by boskone » Fri Oct 18, 2019 6:41 pm

NT2C: "I don't like ARs."
NT2C, like 6 posts later: "I bought a fancy grip for my AR."

:clownshoes:

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Sat Oct 19, 2019 12:50 am

boskone wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 6:41 pm
NT2C: "I don't like ARs."
NT2C, like 6 posts later: "I bought a fancy grip for my AR."

:clownshoes:
No, it's more like, I bought a more comfortable grip for my AR because the stock one sucks for comfort and makes my hand ache. One of the things I never liked about ARs was the grip and the grip angle. I find it uncomfortable and the stocks are always too damn short for my gorilla arms.

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

FlashDaddy
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: All the Milla movies and Shaun of the Dead
Location: There's no place I can be since I've found (hoosier) Serenity.

Post by FlashDaddy » Tue Oct 22, 2019 7:29 pm

It’s October 22nd, so I bought a collector’s series Ruger 10/22 from Palmetto State Armory for $199 plus tax and ship. It has an OD green stock, sling studs, ghost ring sight and a receiver mounted Picatinny rail. Comes with a $25 coupon for shopRuger.com. A good deal on a classic rimfire.
- Flash

Browncoat, food & H2O storing Dad. "I don't care, I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me."
"Freedom is not a gift bestowed upon us by other people or the majority, it's a right that belongs to all of us."

boskone

Post by boskone » Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:19 pm

FlashDaddy wrote:
Tue Oct 22, 2019 7:29 pm
It’s October 22nd, so I bought a collector’s series Ruger 10/22 from Palmetto State Armory for $199 plus tax and ship. It has an OD green stock, sling studs, ghost ring sight and a receiver mounted Picatinny rail. Comes with a $25 coupon for shopRuger.com. A good deal on a classic rimfire.
The only thing I don't like about my 10/22 is that it's not a takedown. :D

FlashDaddy
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by FlashDaddy » Wed Oct 23, 2019 6:08 am

I looked at the takedown and like how you can break it down instantly and throw it in a pack.

I also have to admit I have been re-reading Doc 66’s story Hannah, in our fiction section and the 10/22 plays an important role in zombie defense. I’m looking for an adequate scope for my Picatinny rail. If anyone has any scope suggestions please let me know!
- Flash

Browncoat, food & H2O storing Dad. "I don't care, I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me."
"Freedom is not a gift bestowed upon us by other people or the majority, it's a right that belongs to all of us."

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:51 am

FlashDaddy wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 6:08 am
I looked at the takedown and like how you can break it down instantly and throw it in a pack.

I also have to admit I have been re-reading Doc 66’s story Hannah, in our fiction section and the 10/22 plays an important role in zombie defense. I’m looking for an adequate scope for my Picatinny rail. If anyone has any scope suggestions please let me know!
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LZ ... UTF8&psc=1

Go ahead, laugh, I'll wait...

On the surface, this looks to be the kind of thing that is of interest only to mall ninjas and "cool kids" who aren't actually the cool kids. Underneath that, and discounting the silly red laser, it's a pretty decent scope for a .22 Sure, there's a lot of better brands out there but for $40 shipped (Prime) you get a 3.5-10x illuminated scope that won't break the bank but will accurately put rounds on target.

My .22WMR bolt action though sports a Bushnell 3-9x 40mm Multi-X that was half the price of the rifle.

(both rifles have bipods for sitting at a table in my friend's yard and waiting on and picking off marmots)

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Wed Oct 23, 2019 12:06 pm

There is nothing wrong with a cheap scope on a 22 rifle. In fact really it is the best application for those cheap scopes. Recoil is nothing and the ranges are inside 200 yards. It can involve trial and error on the scopes though.
You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Wed Oct 23, 2019 1:34 pm

FlashDaddy wrote:

What's your budget? Something just for plinking or something that will stand-up to some possible hard use? Fixed or variable power? Do you want something light & compact or is weight & length not a factor? Are there any features that are must-haves, like a BDC reticle or illuminated reticle? If the rings block the view of the irons, do you want some QD scope rings so you can quickly remove the scope so you can use the irons if need be?....or use some of those see-thru rings where the scope sits high enough you can still use the irons (though, you may have to chin-weld it)?
whisk.e.rebellion wrote: It's not what you say anymore. It's how you say it.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

boskone

Post by boskone » Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:03 pm

FlashDaddy wrote:
I want one with the Magpul Backpacker stock. It's got a bit of integral storage, and snaps into itself. Maybe throw something like the Primary Arms compact scopes (2.5-3x power, about the size of a large RDS), especially if they'd make one with a regular duplex crosshairs.

boskone

Post by boskone » Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:08 pm

NT2C wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:51 am

My .22WMR bolt action though sports a Bushnell 3-9x 40mm Multi-X that was half the price of the rifle.

If you're interested (if your luck, like mine, has been pretty bad with preperforated foam coming apart), I used spray-on plastidip on some pick-n-pluck type foam and it seems like it's going to dramatically improve durability.

I picked the foam, glued the layers together with Super 77, then sprayed a layer of plastidip on every 30min or so until I saw some start to pool instead of seep in.

FlashDaddy
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by FlashDaddy » Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:28 pm

NT2C wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:51 am
FlashDaddy wrote:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LZ ... UTF8&psc=1

Go ahead, laugh, I'll wait...

On the surface, this looks to be the kind of thing that is of interest only to mall ninjas and "cool kids" who aren't actually the cool kids. Underneath that, and discounting the silly red laser, it's a pretty decent scope for a .22 Sure, there's a lot of better brands out there but for $40 shipped (Prime) you get a 3.5-10x illuminated scope that won't break the bank but will accurately put rounds on target.

(both rifles have bipods for sitting at a table in my friend's yard and waiting on and picking off marmots)
Those are some interesting scopes! Thanks for the Amazon link!
- Flash

FlashDaddy
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by FlashDaddy » Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:35 pm

RickOShea wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 1:34 pm
FlashDaddy wrote:

What's your budget? Something just for plinking or something that will stand-up to some possible hard use? Fixed or variable power? Do you want something light & compact or is weight & length not a factor? Are there any features that are must-haves, like a BDC reticle or illuminated reticle? If the rings block the view of the irons, do you want some QD scope rings so you can quickly remove the scope so you can use the irons if need be?....or use some of those see-thru rings where the scope sits high enough you can still use the irons (though, you may have to chin-weld it)?
I’ve got a maximum budget of $120. I’d like some magnification, something that will hold zero well and be somewhat rugged. I don’t need to quickly detach or see my iron sights through it. I’d appreciate any suggestions. Thanks!
- Flash

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:20 pm

FlashDaddy wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:35 pm
RickOShea wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 1:34 pm
FlashDaddy wrote:

I’ve got a maximum budget of $120. I’d like some magnification, something that will hold zero well and be somewhat rugged. I don’t need to quickly detach or see my iron sights through it. I’d appreciate any suggestions. Thanks!
Nikon makes decent stuff. I have an older version of the ProStaff scope on one of my 10/22's...

Nikon ProStaff Rimfire II Rifle Scope 3-9x40mm BDC 150 $99.99 free shipping

*You'll still need scope rings. And with tax added, you may bust your budget a bit.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

FlashDaddy
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by FlashDaddy » Thu Oct 24, 2019 10:32 am

I like the look of that Nikon Prostaff scope! It looks to my inexperienced eyes that these rings will fit that scope:

https://www.sportsmansguide.com/product ... ?a=2044990

There are three size options low, M and high. Not sure of the difference there. Is it so the bottom of the scope lenses won’t hit the rail? So maybe medium?
- Flash

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Thu Oct 24, 2019 10:52 am

FlashDaddy wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2019 10:32 am
I like the look of that Nikon Prostaff scope! It looks to my inexperienced eyes that these rings will fit that scope:

There are three size options low, M and high. Not sure of the difference there. Is it so the bottom of the scope lenses won’t hit the rail? So maybe medium?
Scope height has three main purposes, with that just being one of them. The height is also important for properly lining up with your eye when you are shooting (assuming a good cheek weld the scope should be perfectly lined up so that the image is properly centered), and the height above the gun can also affect your ability to use the gun's iron sights in a pinch if the scope breaks.

And yes, those rings are for a 1" diameter scope tube which is what the aforementioned scope has.

FlashDaddy
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by FlashDaddy » Thu Oct 24, 2019 10:59 am

Good info, more to think about. Thanks NT2C!
- Flash

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Thu Oct 24, 2019 11:31 am

FlashDaddy wrote:

You'll need rings that are high enough so the scope's objective bell doesn't contact the front of the picatinny rail....and high enough that the rear sight won't hit the underside of the scope. Google says the Nikon medium rings have a height of .36 inch from the scope base to the bottom of the scope tube. If your rear sight is higher than .36 inch above the picatinny rail, you'll need to go with the high rings ( 0.5 inch height, base to bottom of tube).

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Thu Oct 24, 2019 4:45 pm

I ordered myself a Romanian TTC Tokarev pistol from Classic Firearms this morning. :clap:

Hopefully I should have it in my hands some time next week or possibly earlier depending on how fast they ship it.

Now to stock up on extra mags and ammo for it.

FlashDaddy
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by FlashDaddy » Thu Oct 24, 2019 7:10 pm

RickOShea wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2019 11:31 am
FlashDaddy wrote:

You'll need rings that are high enough so the scope's objective bell doesn't contact the front of the picatinny rail....and high enough that the rear sight won't hit the underside of the scope. Google says the Nikon medium rings have a height of .36 inch from the scope base to the bottom of the scope tube. If your rear sight is higher than .36 inch above the picatinny rail, you'll need to go with the high rings ( 0.5 inch height, base to bottom of tube).

That pic is really helpful in understanding what I need to consider for the rings. Thanks RickOShea!
- Flash

FlashDaddy
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by FlashDaddy » Thu Oct 24, 2019 7:15 pm

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2019 4:45 pm
I ordered myself a Romanian TTC Tokarev pistol from Classic Firearms this morning. :clap:

Hopefully I should have it in my hands some time next week or possibly earlier depending on how fast they ship it.

Now to stock up on extra mags and ammo for it.
Those seem to be the best value in surplus arms on the market. I miss the “old days” of $69 Mosin Nagant rifles and $140 SKSs. 2006, please come back!
- Flash

Hoppy
Favorite Zombie Movies: all of them. except Diary of The Dead.

Post by Hoppy » Thu Oct 31, 2019 2:04 am

No one here has any idea who i am. A Midwest industries sight set and a magpul clip sling
No one has a sense for the dramatic.

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Thu Oct 31, 2019 10:19 am

Hoppy wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 2:04 am
No one here has any idea who i am.
***Trigger Warning*** Youtube - William B. Ruger on Freedom and Tyranny

OT: Picked up another cheap 6 foot folding table for bowling pins.

Return to “General Firearms Discussion”