What have you bought in the last 48 hours?(firearms related)

General discussions regarding topics that aren't covered in one of the other sub-forums. NO DISCUSSION OF POLITICS!

Moderators: ZS Global Moderators, ZS Postal Match Officers

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Re: What have you bought in the last 48 hours?(firearms related)

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Sat Sep 07, 2019 11:51 am

Added two more .50 cal ammo cans to my collection. The previous owner had used them to store chalk, so I get to clean the residue of that out before I stick any ammo in them.

Paid 10 bucks total for both cans. .50 cal cans tend to hit about 15 bucks a pop in my AO when you can find them.

I also picked up a plastic 25mm ammo can. I've never seen one before and picked it up for 10 bucks. Looked them up and they're going for about 30 bucks or more online. So I think I got a good deal.

Now to figure out what I'm going to do with the 25mm can. May just use it for storage of gun parts or other stuff.

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Sat Sep 07, 2019 1:02 pm

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
Sat Sep 07, 2019 11:51 am
Added two more .50 cal ammo cans to my collection. The previous owner had used them to store chalk, so I get to clean the residue of that out before I stick any ammo in them.

Paid 10 bucks total for both cans. .50 cal cans tend to hit about 15 bucks a pop in my AO when you can find them.

I also picked up a plastic 25mm ammo can. I've never seen one before and picked it up for 10 bucks. Looked them up and they're going for about 30 bucks or more online. So I think I got a good deal.

Now to figure out what I'm going to do with the 25mm can. May just use it for storage of gun parts or other stuff.
1. Awesome score, Chimp.
2. Where do you find deals like these? Cans around here are high, I won't discuss online prices.

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Sat Sep 07, 2019 1:15 pm

These are often used on motorcycles as cheap, water tight saddlebags. If you watch the movie Skyfall (and others) there is a scene where a motorbike is equipped with a pair.
You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Sat Sep 07, 2019 2:31 pm

MPMalloy wrote:
Sat Sep 07, 2019 1:02 pm
12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:

1. Awesome score, Chimp.
2. Where do you find deals like these? Cans around here are high, I won't discuss online prices.
I was in New Mexico yesterday and stopped at a giant garage sale. That's where I scored the cans.

I tend to hit up the yard sales in my AO and there's a couple flea markets around as well. There's two big ones up in Lubbock that I've gone to (I scored a Weaver micro red dot at one of them) and there's usually at least one seller there with firearms stuff.

I'm always on the lookout for gun gear when I go to those places.

The Twizzler
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead
Return of the Living Dead

Post by The Twizzler » Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:28 pm

I was never very good at Chemistry, however, would the accumulated chalk residue make an excellent humidity barrier for the stored ammo?

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:

"Oh Bother!" said Pooh, as he drew his dagger...

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:49 pm

The Twizzler wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:28 pm
I was never very good at Chemistry, however, would the accumulated chalk residue make an excellent humidity barrier for the stored ammo?

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:

I'm actually not sure if the chalk residue would make a good barrier, Twizzler. It might, but in any event, I cleaned out the cans and got pretty much all the chalk residue out.

There's a very minor amount still left in the nooks and crannies, but not enough to cause any issues or make a difference in regards to humidity barriers. I've got a couple small desiccant packs that I could toss in with whatever ammo I'll end up storing in the cans, so humidity and moisture shouldn't be an issue.

boskone

Post by boskone » Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:09 pm

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
I've been thinking about picking one of those up. I just don't know what use I might actually have for one. :D

Zed Hunter

Post by Zed Hunter » Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:33 am

Two used magma engineering 9mm molds, 115gr RN, & 135gr RN, and a used Lee classic cast press.

MacWa77ace
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Omega Man, I Am Legend, Dawn of the Dead v1974.

Post by MacWa77ace » Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:54 am

Safariland has a 30% off sale going right now and free shipping on $100 or more. So just pulled the trigger on a Model 7390 7TS™ ALS® Mid Ride Duty Holster and a QLS19 and some QLS22s.

Says up to 6 weeks for made to order holsters.
Lifetime gamer watch at:
MacWa77ace YouTube Channel

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:02 pm

Do gifts count? I happened to mention to a friend the other day that I guess it's time I got myself an "evil black rifle" since I was moving to Northern Idaho and some political stuff that recently made the news. They were shocked, shocked I say, that I had not yet been brought over to the Dark Side. At dinner tonight they gifted me with a Double Star "Star 15" incomplete lower as a combination belated birthday gift and going away present. :awesome:

My wife is just now starting to understand the evil that is about to befall our bank account as I start the build. :twisted:
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

Zed Hunter

Post by Zed Hunter » Fri Sep 20, 2019 8:58 am

.356 and .452 sizing dies with matching punches for my star bullet lubrisizer.

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Mon Sep 23, 2019 7:46 pm

Safariland 27 holster for snub revolver and another beater mtech knife . An MT-20-35
As of now I bet you got me wrong

John Titor was right

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Mon Sep 23, 2019 7:49 pm

This is page 308. Just sayin'.

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:03 pm

MPMalloy wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 7:49 pm
This is page 308. Just sayin'.
.308 8-)

John Titor was right

Tienahio
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland (2009)

Post by Tienahio » Wed Oct 02, 2019 3:45 am

Sig Sauer SOR52001 (Romeo 5) Is it okay?

I've been trying my hand at bullseye and it is reminding me how much I hate my reflex sight. I'm shooting my Ruger MKII, it doesn't have a 1911 grip angle so I'm pointing it out somewhere.

I was thinking that a tube sight would give me enough visual references that I could find the dot easier.

I was looking at the Vortex red dot and I saw this one. It sounded a bit better, I'm moving up from a cheap 49 dollar sightmark to something a bit better and still cheap.

Is this an okay sight? Will it work out doors in bright sunlight, that is where my cheap reflex falls down.

I look forward to your comments.

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Mon Oct 14, 2019 12:16 pm

PSA 16" Mid Length 1/7 Nitride 15" Lightweight M-lok Upper with MBUS Sight Set, BCG, & CH to complete an AR build I'd started.

D&H 5.56 30RD Magazine (5 Mags) & 100 Rounds of Federal 55gr XM193 5.56 NATO to test the new build, and because I was too lazy to shop for a better deal.

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:57 pm

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:59 pm

Tienahio wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 3:45 am
Sig Sauer SOR52001 (Romeo 5) Is it okay?

I've been trying my hand at bullseye and it is reminding me how much I hate my reflex sight. I'm shooting my Ruger MKII, it doesn't have a 1911 grip angle so I'm pointing it out somewhere.

I was thinking that a tube sight would give me enough visual references that I could find the dot easier.

I was looking at the Vortex red dot and I saw this one. It sounded a bit better, I'm moving up from a cheap 49 dollar sightmark to something a bit better and still cheap.

Is this an okay sight? Will it work out doors in bright sunlight, that is where my cheap reflex falls down.

I look forward to your comments.
I have found it to be about a 5-6 MOA sight with my old eyes. I put it right above the TRS25.
You go over and under
I go through

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:50 pm

6 x Amend2 5.56x45 NATO / 223 Rem 30 Rounder (BLACK) mags on sale for $7.49 ea. at outdoorlimited.com

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Wed Oct 16, 2019 3:21 am

ATN X-SIGHT 4K PRO 3-14X for $699 from Gander Outdoors

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:05 pm

Well, after much discussion with the wife we've decided there's just no way our budget can handle buying a Galil ACE for the next year or more, and the best I could squeeze out of it is a JRA BM59, which is not a bad compromise and kinda scratches my "M14 itch", so I'm cool with it.

And yes, this means I actually bought a .308 on page 308. 8-)

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Wed Oct 16, 2019 2:59 pm

TSA compliant hard pistol case. It made it through baggage check so GTG.
You go over and under
I go through

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Wed Oct 16, 2019 6:51 pm

Stercutus wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 2:59 pm
TSA compliant hard pistol case. It made it through baggage check so GTG.
Going somewhere?

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Thu Oct 17, 2019 4:57 am

NT2C wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:05 pm
Well, after much discussion with the wife we've decided there's just no way our budget can handle buying a Galil ACE for the next year or more, and the best I could squeeze out of it is a JRA BM59, which is not a bad compromise and kinda scratches my "M14 itch", so I'm cool with it.

And yes, this means I actually bought a .308 on page 308. 8-)
There are no coincidences. It's all part of a great plan. 8-)

John Titor was right

Return to “General Firearms Discussion”