Carrying loose ammo tactically?

General discussions regarding topics that aren't covered in one of the other sub-forums. NO DISCUSSION OF POLITICS!

Moderators: ZS Global Moderators, ZS Postal Match Officers

cmoney

Carrying loose ammo tactically?

Post by cmoney » Wed Dec 31, 2008 11:15 pm

So since I have decided to buy a lever gun and I can forsee it being using in some SHTF situations which I imagine as possible, I would like to know if any of you have suggestions for how to carry ammo for it? Is there something I can do other than tossing a bunch of 357 shells into a satchel?

The task of loading the rifle under stress is gonna be challenge enough, it'd be nice if I wasn't fumbling through a big bag of bullets also.

Gatorfarmer

Re: Carrying loose ammo tactically?

Post by Gatorfarmer » Wed Dec 31, 2008 11:27 pm

Ammo belts with nylon shell loops (and a buttstock carrier much the same) can be had from Walmart during hunting season, or else you can order them from MidwayUSA or elsewhere. At a higher cost, you can get leather shell belts as well.

Lenny
Favorite Zombie Movies: All of the them, even the super cheesy unrealistic ones.

Post by Lenny » Wed Dec 31, 2008 11:27 pm

Heres a couple idea's

http://www.opticsplanet.net/outdoor-con ... 54656.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.opticsplanet.net/pouches.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
This one is really cool!
http://www.opticsplanet.net/blackhawk-f ... pouch.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Oderint Dum Metuant

"A knot ....is either exactly right or it is hopelessly wrong. Make only one change...and either an entirely different knot is made or no knot at all may exist." Clifford W. Ashley

HHaase
Favorite Zombie Movies: Errrr, I actually don't like zombie movies.
::::runs away::::

Post by HHaase » Thu Jan 01, 2009 12:28 am

Rapidly loading through a gate, not exactly fun and a bit of a contridiction of statements if you ask me.

In all honesty, for bulk .357 loaded like that, I'd kinda prefer a hip bag with loose rounds in it. You have to handle them all individually already, so you might as well make that task as easy as possible. Back when I used to shoot a lot of tube-fed .22's, and before ammo came in loose cartons, we would just dump a couple bricks into a big box and grab as needed. When they started selling in loose packed cartons, it was a no brainer.

Barring that, have you considered an old-school pistol belt or bandoleer? Perhaps take a look at the SASS guys, and see what they use. .44-40 and .44 Long Colt aren't too far from .357 as far as the ergonomics of handling is concerned.

-Hans

Edit: Just make sure that if you do handle everything in a loose manner, make sure it's all crimped. Probably not an issue with factory loads, but if you reload it could be.
"This does not mean, however, that we are unaware of the true meaning of the term 'security.'
To us, the term has broad meaning. It rests in the physical force embodied as it is in the ships and their base,
but also in intellectual factors among which Intelligence plays an outstanding role."
- Captain Ellis M. Zacaraias, USN

Big and Daft

Post by Big and Daft » Thu Jan 01, 2009 11:42 am

I asked a similar question a couple of months ago and after all th help I got, the best solution I came up with were the 12rd shotgun ammo poches. Here if the thread.

I've just took some pictures (on my mobile, sorry for crapy photos) of some .357s in the 12rd shotgun ammo pouch. Pouch is made by Condor, if that matters.

24 rounds, 2 in each elastic loop - I closed the lid and shook it, none came loose.

22 rounds of .357 and a 12g cartridge for comparison.

25 rounds thrown in loose. Plenty of room left in the pouch, none fell out with flap closed and shaken about.

50 rounds thrown in loose. Pouch is full now, flap still closes and stops any falling out though.

On the whole, this is quite a decent way to hold the ammo, two of these pouches would be plenty as far as i'm concerned.

zoiders

Post by zoiders » Thu Jan 01, 2009 12:02 pm

If you can find one at a surplus place - they used to make once upon a time a military police issue ALICE revolver ammo pouch, OG with a velcro closure and elastic loops inside to hold loose .38/.357 shells

I used to use one to keep paracord in

They are dirt cheap IIRC

olbaid_dratsab

Post by olbaid_dratsab » Thu Jan 01, 2009 12:36 pm

Could you load through a loading gate using the speed strips made my Bianchi? Thats what I would try, the mechanica would be a lil different than loading a revolver, but I don't see why you couldnt just start it off in the gate then pluck it off the strip, finish with your fingers, repeat until the tube is toped off or untill the strip is empty.
Hellow fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you. Thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What?. Taxes. They'll be lower son. The Democratic vote for me is right thing to do, Philadeplhia. So do.

ant69
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days

Post by ant69 » Fri Jan 02, 2009 1:46 pm

olbaid_dratsab wrote:Could you load through a loading gate using the speed strips made my Bianchi? Thats what I would try, the mechanica would be a lil different than loading a revolver, but I don't see why you couldnt just start it off in the gate then pluck it off the strip, finish with your fingers, repeat until the tube is toped off or untill the strip is empty.
+1 this would be my choice though I have never tried it personally. Should be much easier to manage a few rounds at a time and fairly inexpensive option. There are also the buttstock shell holders though they are fairly limited on capacity.

Ant
I have no signature so that I will not offend anyone by exercising my freedom of expression or by bringing to light the follies of the less informed! Thank You. Ant

Sheol151

Post by Sheol151 » Sat Jan 03, 2009 10:16 am

zombie_mike

Post by zombie_mike » Sat Jan 03, 2009 8:47 pm

I used to carry .38 special on SKS stripper clips. I would think that .357 mag would fit as well.
June 26th, 2008---The Day Gun Prohibition Died!
crypto wrote:
rodka wrote: It feels like an orgasm in the hand
So, uh, do you mean it's all sticky, or what?
I prefer pistols that dont feel like they're jizzing on me, thanks.

Sheol151

Post by Sheol151 » Sat Jan 03, 2009 11:42 pm

zombie_mike wrote:I used to carry .38 special on SKS stripper clips. I would think that .357 mag would fit as well.

well, ill be damned.....

It DOES. Learn somethin' new every day.

muscleman_coffeemesto
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by muscleman_coffeemesto » Wed Jan 07, 2009 3:10 pm

Carrying .357 ammo in shotgun shell pouches is brilliant. After reading that I went ahead and managed to stuff over 60 rounds of .38 special into one pouch...
I think it's time to get myself a .357 lever rifle.
I don't believe in karma.
Karma is just justice without satisfaction,
And I don't believe in justice.

charlie505
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 days, Resident evil, Shawn of the Dead

Post by charlie505 » Wed Jan 07, 2009 4:09 pm

I have a marlin 1894p in 44mag

I carry extra ammo in a rock climbers chalk bag

crypto
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by crypto » Wed Jan 07, 2009 4:47 pm

I'd look at a MOLLE Dump pouch. Basically it's a square accessory pouch about the same size as an AR mag pouch, with a velcro flap on top, and under that is snap-on lid with 2 stout pieces of elastic to keep stuff from falling out. You just sort of shove your hand inside between the elastic and come out with a fistful of ammo.

Mine holds over 100 rounds of 9mm and about that much of 5.56. It's a great pouch, I'd recommend it for anyone who has a tube-fed gun they need to carry ammo for. Anything lever- or pump-action would do well with one.

http://www.marsgear.com/product.php?pid=16" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

MF'N TEAM LEADER

"Some people think that the best way to stop the leopard is to cut the horns off the gazelle. This, my friends, is insane."

muscleman_coffeemesto
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by muscleman_coffeemesto » Wed Jan 07, 2009 5:02 pm

I have like 4 of those MOLLE pouches in black, but I use them to carry shotgun shells.
I don't believe in karma.
Karma is just justice without satisfaction,
And I don't believe in justice.

Murph

Post by Murph » Wed Jan 07, 2009 5:30 pm

Yeah, those pouches are great for anything. You can stand 5 AR mags up in them after you snap off the elastic part.
Does your BOB at least have: water, basic tools, fire, food, first-aid kit, and shelter?
"When planning, prepare for the most likely, and then the most catastrophic."
raptor wrote: Being a gun collector does not make you a prepper.
the_alias wrote: Murph has all the diplomacy of a North Korean warhead, but -he has- a valid point

Return to “General Firearms Discussion”