Bolt actions and STANAG mags

General discussions regarding topics that aren't covered in one of the other sub-forums. NO DISCUSSION OF POLITICS!

Moderators: ZS Global Moderators, ZS Postal Match Officers

Copperhead
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead

Bolt actions and STANAG mags

Post by Copperhead » Tue Dec 23, 2008 7:19 pm

Out of curiosity, does anyone know of a bolt action rifle (or lever action) that uses STANAG 5.56 mags? The only manual action rifle that I could find that takes the magazines is the Remington Model 7600.
I will accept the rules that you feel necessary to your freedom. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. - R.A.Heinlein

Jeriah
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Original Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead 04, and 28 Days Later are my top three, in that order.

Re: Bolt actions and STANAG mags

Post by Jeriah » Tue Dec 23, 2008 7:24 pm

Copperhead wrote:Out of curiosity, does anyone know of a bolt action rifle (or lever action) that uses STANAG 5.56 mags? The only manual action rifle that I could find that takes the magazines is the Remington Model 7600.
That's the only...no, wait. There's a pump-action AR upper, DPMS might make it? But no bolt action I know of.

I could go for a boltie .308 that takes G3 mags... :twisted:

AmirMortal
Favorite Zombie Movies: ALL! 28 days later...

Post by AmirMortal » Tue Dec 23, 2008 7:28 pm

It's not a boltie, but uses AR mags
http://www.remingtonle.com/rifles/7615.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

colinz

Post by colinz » Tue Dec 23, 2008 7:46 pm

A friend of mine just got a Barnard rifle in .223 that takes M16 mags. Custom build though.

Jeriah
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Original Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead 04, and 28 Days Later are my top three, in that order.

Post by Jeriah » Tue Dec 23, 2008 7:48 pm

AmirMortal wrote:It's not a boltie, but uses AR mags
http://www.remingtonle.com/rifles/7615.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I believe that was, more or less, the gun referenced in the OP.

I've never shot one. Seems reasonable on principle, although I can't see why one would prefer one over an SU-16.

AmirMortal
Favorite Zombie Movies: ALL! 28 days later...

Post by AmirMortal » Tue Dec 23, 2008 7:56 pm

Jeriah wrote:
AmirMortal wrote:It's not a boltie, but uses AR mags

I believe that was, more or less, the gun referenced in the OP.

I've never shot one. Seems reasonable on principle, although I can't see why one would prefer one over an SU-16.
DOH! :o

crypto
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by crypto » Tue Dec 23, 2008 8:49 pm

Jeriah wrote: I've never shot one. Seems reasonable on principle, although I can't see why one would prefer one over an SU-16.
Because he lives in Canada and I believe the Su-16 is still restricted since it's a kinda short semi-auto.
MF'N TEAM LEADER

"Some people think that the best way to stop the leopard is to cut the horns off the gazelle. This, my friends, is insane."

Hoppy
Favorite Zombie Movies: all of them. except Diary of The Dead.

Post by Hoppy » Tue Dec 23, 2008 10:00 pm

http://www.armalon.com/pr.shtml" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
No one has a sense for the dramatic.

Jeriah
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Jeriah » Tue Dec 23, 2008 10:04 pm

You win the prize for "closest post yet to answering the OP's question," although unfortunately it's a rifle conversion service AND a 15 pound Sterling conversion per AR mag, so not 100% what we were hoping for.

How hard would it be to make a simple, bolt-action AR upper?

Hoppy
Favorite Zombie Movies: all of them. except Diary of The Dead.

Post by Hoppy » Tue Dec 23, 2008 10:08 pm

Jeriah wrote:
You win the prize for "closest post yet to answering the OP's question," although unfortunately it's a rifle conversion service AND a 15 pound Sterling conversion per AR mag, so not 100% what we were hoping for.

there are very few, if any factory rifles that accept AR mags. any rifle accepting AR mags will be a conversion of some kind or another, and no mater what the brand or model its going to be prohibitively expensive.

its doubtful your going to find something that 100% fits your desire.
No one has a sense for the dramatic.

Jeriah
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Jeriah » Tue Dec 23, 2008 10:11 pm

Hoppy wrote:
Jeriah wrote:

there are very few, if any factory rifles that accept AR mags. any rifle accepting AR mags will be a conversion of some kind or another, and no mater what the brand or model its going to be prohibitively expensive.

its doubtful your going to find something that 100% fits your desire.
Those Rem. pump guns do it, as do the pump action AR's. I'd think you could make a bolt gun that takes AR mags, if you thought there'd be a market for it. A bolt AR upper shouldn't be too hard, either. Not for me, I mean, but for someone competent. :lol:

Edit: P.S. I wasn't being sarcastic when I said, "You win the prize..." I don't have anything better!

Yaivenov
Favorite Zombie Movies: Where do you even start?

Post by Yaivenov » Tue Dec 23, 2008 10:51 pm

Jeriah wrote:

A straight pull bolt action using the existing bolt carrier group doesn't sound like it would be too hard to fabricate, though creating a "conventional" rotating handle and bolt setup would likely require a more extensive redesign. On the plus side you would be able to junk the gas block and gas tube and create a true pure free floating barrel.

*ponder it some more* Start with an A4 style upper (flat top). Remove buffer assembly, buffer spring, buffer retaining pin and buffer retaining pin spring. Remove gas-ported barrel and gas tube, replace with threaded and fitted barrel without gas port cut. Replace charging handle and bolt carrier key with straight pull bolt handle attached to bolt carrier at bolt carrier key screw points (ETA: the straight pull bolt handle will be shaped much like the charging handle except it remains permanently attached to the bolt carrier and the two are removed as a single unit during cleaning, additionally the bolt handle can be made to be either lefty or righty or be designed to be easilly changed to either). Discard iron sights in favor of preferred optics in order to prevent the need to mount any sort of iron sights on the new unhindered barrel.

Voila, you now have a straight pull bolt action in the AR-15 platform.
Idiocracy was a documentary.

Fire

Post by Fire » Wed Dec 24, 2008 11:29 pm

I remember someone, I believe one of our english brothers , mentioning that straight pull ar's were available in the UK, due to their severe restricitions..... not sure where that was posted though....
रक्षस

" I have stood the charge of the Rakshasha, my heart will not fail, I have felt the teeth of the tiger, I fear no evil"....

Hail St. Gabriel Possenti, patron saint of handgunners...

redneckarmy34

Post by redneckarmy34 » Thu Dec 25, 2008 12:27 am

Would you be interested in something like this?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8uiw33rd4w" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Basically a straight pull AR with a handle on the bolt carrier

Jeriah
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Jeriah » Thu Dec 25, 2008 2:25 am

redneckarmy34 wrote:Would you be interested in something like this?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8uiw33rd4w" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Basically a straight pull AR with a handle on the bolt carrier
Very nice! Interesting option in a variety of ways. For example, as a bolt action, that would be Chicago legal (with a low-cap mag). Get to the suburbs and swap out uppers.

Big and Daft

Post by Big and Daft » Thu Dec 25, 2008 5:46 am

Fire wrote:I remember someone, I believe one of our english brothers , mentioning that straight pull ar's were available in the UK, due to their severe restricitions..... not sure where that was posted though....
Yep, we are allowed straight pull AR's, AK's, AUG's and the like, as the are just a bolt action basically. One of the bigger retailers in the UK are Southern Gun Company. The are very expensive, over here you're going to pay £1000 for the basic model and the sky the limit from there. I think this is because the uppers are custom milled to help make sure no one turns them into a semi auto.
I quite fancy an AR15, but just cant afford one.

That German Guy

Post by That German Guy » Thu Dec 25, 2008 6:27 am

Big and Daft wrote:I think this is because the uppers are custom milled to help make sure no one turns them into a semi auto.
I quite fancy an AR15, but just cant afford one.
Well, our German Civilian versions of military auto weapons are made differently too, but it's not that expensive. the important thing over here is that it must be impossible to install any part from the military version that is involved in the following things:
1) holding the round during firing
2) guiding the projectile
3) releasing the firing system with trigger still pulled.

For the SL8 (civvie G36), the changes are these:
The Barrel has one locking lug less, and is fitted into the receiver with a hexagonal instead of an octagonal profile.
The bolt also has one locking lug less.
The bolt is 2mm thicker, as is the hole for it in the bolt carrier.
The sear pin in the fire control group is 1mm thinner.
The FCG has slightly different takedown pin placement.
All small stuff, and since all these parts (or those that go on them, in case of the sear pin) are CNC machined, you just need a new file for the machines that make them.
This has the following effects:
New barrel? Won't fit without extensive machining and welding on a new barrel extension. Won't lock with old bolt.
New bolt? Won't lock up with old barrel, will jiggle around in the bolt carrier and jam the gun even if it could lock up.
New bolt carrier? Bolt won't fit.
New sear? Will jiggle enough to be useless.
Completely new FCG? Won't fit, will fall off after nearly every shot.
SMoAF wrote:We all ended up moving in together at one point, and I paid our rent in guns.
Vicarious_Lee wrote:No one on ZS worth their membership would be in a frozen forest, alone, without being loaded out like they've got Les Fucking Stroud himself in their enormous and ergonomic backpack.

Return to “General Firearms Discussion”