Brit-ZedHunters first Lever Gun (Now with range report)

General discussions regarding topics that aren't covered in one of the other sub-forums. NO DISCUSSION OF POLITICS!

Moderators: ZS Global Moderators, ZS Postal Match Officers

Brit-ZedHunter
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, 28 Weeks Later, Diary of the Dead, Dawn of the Dead, Day of the Dead, Res evil movies

Brit-ZedHunters first Lever Gun (Now with range report)

Post by Brit-ZedHunter » Sat Nov 29, 2008 10:42 am

Hey all,

Finally made it out to the gunshop to pick myself up a Marlin 1894 Cowboy in .38/.357.

They had both the regular 1894C and the CB there. The C was a good £150 cheaper but I felt it was a little too short and light for me (im 6ft 4). The Cowboy feels great, it has a nice short action, octagonal barrel, smooth stock and a 10 shot magazine tube. Can't wait to get out and shoot it. It was really foggy today so I thought I would hold out for better visibility tomorrow.

I also picked up 500 rds of flat nosed FMJ. I am going to try some magtech stuff and this cheap brand. The magtech stuff is a bit blingly looking though :roll:

Heres the pic:

Last edited by Brit-ZedHunter on Sun Nov 30, 2008 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Brit-ZedHunter
ZSC:010 Member

LakotaJones

Re: Brit-ZedHunters first Lever Gun

Post by LakotaJones » Sat Nov 29, 2008 10:45 am

If you live in Britain, by your name, how did you buy this?

I am not being an ass hole. I am genuinely curious how a British person goes about purchasing a firearm. Is this for target shooting? Are you allowed to keep it in your home?

Thank you.

(beautiful weapon by the way)

Big and Daft

Post by Big and Daft » Sat Nov 29, 2008 10:48 am

Well done dude! I've got a 1894c myself and I know what you mean by the size, i'm about the same height as you and it looks like a toy when I hold it. You'll have great fun, now, go wrap the lever in paracord and save your knuckles.
I've been using Prvi .357 in mine (SWC and FMJ) and they are both accurate enough - probably get 7" groups at 100 yards, rapidish shooting. Just save your brass and start thinking about reloading.

Congrats once again, post somne more piccies and a range report once you've shot it.

Brit-ZedHunter
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, 28 Weeks Later, Diary of the Dead, Dawn of the Dead, Day of the Dead, Res evil movies

Post by Brit-ZedHunter » Sat Nov 29, 2008 10:54 am

Thanks guys.

Lakota - Yeah I am British. I have this for target shooting only, my license specifies thats the only thing I can use it for. People over here can have rifles for the purpose of hunting but there are a lot of legal hoops to jump through. I am allowed to store this at home but it has to be locked away in a cabinet bolted to the wall.

There is a good article explaining our laws here on AR15.com:
http://www.ar15.com/content/page.html?id=235

Big & Daft - Thanks :) Cant wait to get out and shoot it tomorrow. If you don't mind me asking, how much are you paying for your .357?

I paid £38 per 100 for the cheapy stuff and £44 per 100 for the blingy silver magtech.

I have a lee anniversary kit on its way from cabales so I will be reloading in the near future. Will post a range report tomorrow. Thanks for the article on wrapping, I will take a look at that.
-Brit-ZedHunter

Big and Daft

Post by Big and Daft » Sat Nov 29, 2008 11:49 am

I got my Prvi from Henry Kranks (west Yorkshire - not sure where you are) for £13 per 50 SWC and £15 for FMJ, for relaoding Peter Lawman has 158 grain lead SWC for anout £45 per 1000. Them prices seem a little steep.
Better shop around or get reloading quick.

Brit-ZedHunter

Post by Brit-ZedHunter » Sat Nov 29, 2008 12:05 pm

Yeah i thought it was a bit steep myself. 500 round ended up costing me £175 or so :(

I have seen that Peter Lawmans website, he seems to have some good stuff. Does SWC shoot ok? I was told that FMJ's shoot best out of these things.
-Brit-ZedHunter

Big and Daft

Post by Big and Daft » Sat Nov 29, 2008 12:19 pm

Ive shot mostly RNFP and SWC out of mine, abount 400 rounds now with no problem. At 100 yards I can't really tell the difference between lead and FMJ.
When I bought mine and spotted it hafd a microgroove barrel I did some research and people seem to say that FMJ works better as they tend to be slightly larger and grab the rifling better (at least thats what I remeber) Maybe one of our more experienced American members can correct me?

TC

Post by TC » Sat Nov 29, 2008 12:36 pm

Do you guys know the caliber requirements for shooting foxes in the UK?

I have a hankering for a Lever-action, but don't live conveniently close to a range in my place away from London nor can I attend it regularly enough to meet the legal requirements. Since we have land with some foxes living on it, which I doubt could be adequately handled by our .22LR, I was thinking I might be able to get a Marlin 1894 .357.

If not, there is a range, but like I said, it'll be tough to attend it enough...

As for your new gun, looks seriously cool. There's a thread over on AR-15 showing some of the custom stuff people have done to their lever guns, I'll try to find it for you.
KentsOkay wrote: I immediately thought about calling 911, but once we got to the T stop and got her out of her jeans, things seemed to be going a lot better.
TC's Defence of the Realm Target Download

Rogue1987

Post by Rogue1987 » Sat Nov 29, 2008 3:37 pm

Beautiful gun. Thats the next one on my list to pick up!

Giacomo
Favorite Zombie Movies: Original Dawn of the Dead, Day of the dead, and Shaun of the Dead

Post by Giacomo » Sat Nov 29, 2008 3:56 pm

I always feel a little bad for you UK ZS'ers because of all the gun laws. I can sit here and pile so many guns they make a chair and you guys are barely allowed guns that cowboys used to ride around with. I'm gonna go drown my tears at the range.
EvilTOJ wrote:
Browning 35 wrote: I'm beginning to realize that you guys are all fucking nuts. :shock:
And a forum dedicated to preparing for a zombpocalypse wasn't your first clue we're all slightly mad? :lol:
PistolPete wrote:And you always wear a suit when you are granted audience with Kyle. He's generally naked, but everyone is too scared to bring it up.

proudupstater

Post by proudupstater » Sat Nov 29, 2008 4:45 pm

That's a pretty nice gun. I have a Winchester 1894 in .30-30 already, but it'd be nice to have a lever gun in .38/.357 to compliment my Ruger SP-101. Now I just need to convince the wife...

boondoggie

Post by boondoggie » Sat Nov 29, 2008 7:16 pm

That is a sweet looking rifle. Just out of curiosity, how many rounds do the carbine hold compared to the cowboy?

drobs
Favorite Zombie Movies: Army of Darkness

Post by drobs » Sat Nov 29, 2008 7:20 pm

Very nice looking gun! Magtech works just fine. I find it to be a little hotter than some brands. I finally broke down a bought a used Winchester 94 30/30. Found it at a local shop for $150US.

Tip for you on loading lever actions. You want to load the 1st round half way into the loading gate and then push it the rest of the way in with the next cartidge, leaving that one 1/2 way in. Continue loading that way till you get to your last round. Push the last one in all the way. That method will prevent your finger / thumb from getting pinched by the gate on every round you load into the gun. .
Regards,

Image Image Image

TC

Post by TC » Sat Nov 29, 2008 7:36 pm

drobs wrote: Tip for you on loading lever actions. You want to load the 1st round half way into the loading gate and then push it the rest of the way in with the next cartidge, leaving that one 1/2 way in. Continue loading that way till you get to your last round. Push the last one in all the way. That method will prevent your finger / thumb from getting pinched by the gate on every round you load into the gun. .
That's a great tip. I always pinched my fingers when shooting lever guns in the past, wish I'd known this method back then!
KentsOkay wrote: I immediately thought about calling 911, but once we got to the T stop and got her out of her jeans, things seemed to be going a lot better.
TC's Defence of the Realm Target Download

elricfate

Post by elricfate » Sat Nov 29, 2008 8:11 pm

Absolutely BEA-UTIFUL, sir.

If you ever make it to the states with that beauty, I'd like to shoot it. I'll even let you shoot my Winchester 1892 in trade.
ElricFate's DIY .22/.177 Bullet Trap
ZombieSquad Reservist
I survived Zombie Con 2014/2015 (Tickcon)/2016

leadpulaski

Post by leadpulaski » Sat Nov 29, 2008 8:13 pm

The Marlin 30-30 has always had a place in my heart. I love that gun. I've never shot the 357 though. Nice buy!

Last time I bought 38 I spent IIRC $150 for 500 rounds.

Big A

Post by Big A » Sat Nov 29, 2008 8:35 pm

Uh, huh, so THAT'S why I haven't been able to find a 1894C
in .38/.357 anywhere (stores OR on-line) here..................
they're all in the UK!

Seriously, they are "unavailable" or "backordered."

Nice carbine, Sir. That's what I want, exactly, to go with my
S&W revolver.
"All I want from you is a little civility, and that
of the commonest goddamnest kind."

mantis

Post by mantis » Sat Nov 29, 2008 8:40 pm

Big A wrote:Uh, huh, so THAT'S why I haven't been able to find a 1894C
in .38/.357 anywhere (stores OR on-line) here..................
they're all in the UK!

Seriously, they are "unavailable" or "backordered."

Nice carbine, Sir. That's what I want, exactly, to go with my
S&W revolver.
Same here! I visited every gun store that I know of today cash in hand and couldn't find one. In fact, I was told that they won't be back in stock until as late as February. I'm now seriously considering a Rossi Puma 1892 (basically a Winchester 1892) chambered in .357/.38 Special.
Doc Torr wrote:"Those who live by the sword get shot by those who see them coming a hundred yards away."
roscoe wrote:.....and don't plan on being The Humongous - it ain't happening.

Rick12337
Favorite Zombie Movies: most of romeros stuff is good

Post by Rick12337 » Sat Nov 29, 2008 9:26 pm

If you cant get one in 357mag why not go for the 44mag those shoot very well from what i have seen. :D personaly for a lever gun i want a browning blr in .308 8)

AmirMortal
Favorite Zombie Movies: ALL! 28 days later...

Post by AmirMortal » Sat Nov 29, 2008 9:27 pm

Big A wrote:Nice carbine, Sir. That's what I want, exactly, to go with my
S&W revolver.
+1

mantis

Post by mantis » Sat Nov 29, 2008 9:44 pm

Rick12337 wrote:If you cant get one in 357mag why not go for the 44mag those shoot very well from what i have seen. :D personaly for a lever gun i want a browning blr in .308 8)
I actually considered it today. Several of the stores had .44 Magnum versions of the 1894 but it all came down to the cost of ammo. .44 Magnum costs about 33% more than .357. The other thing is that I also want to pick up a Smith & Wesson 686 in .357 Magnum and I'd want the rifle to be compatible.
Doc Torr wrote:"Those who live by the sword get shot by those who see them coming a hundred yards away."
roscoe wrote:.....and don't plan on being The Humongous - it ain't happening.

Mr. Warren Peace
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 days later.. 28 weeks later,

Post by Mr. Warren Peace » Sat Nov 29, 2008 11:25 pm

that is a very nice lever. you made an excellent choice, and i'm glad you are able to keep your target practice firearm at home. :P

please practice, buy ammo, practice, buy more ammo, and practice more. i saw the 28 day/weeks & doomsday, and i can't recall many brits with firearms. :shock: :lol: :lol:

wow. all of us have it.. i'm have been drooling over .357 levers, but a .308 will be my next purchase.

.308 in lever action, is interesting. is it accurate >300ft? the recoil can't be nice.. :oops:
"Riddle me this. Riddle me that. Who is afraid of the big black bat?"

belt_fed_breakfast

Post by belt_fed_breakfast » Sat Nov 29, 2008 11:44 pm

Congrats on the new lever! Good to see some brits still owning firearms.
Makarov wrote:
So, you're worst nightmare is waking up in a strange bed, seeing Chuck lying next to you wearing a minuscule thingy, doing a stripe while humming "Sweet child of mine"?

I just scared myself.

Artisan
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (1978)

Post by Artisan » Sun Nov 30, 2008 8:59 am

Beautiful gun. I adore mine. I wish the stock on mine looked half as nice as yours.

If you can track down Hornady's LeverEvolution over there then I highly recommend it. It's pricey but my gun shoots it very well. It gives me my tightest groups and the bullet is designed for reliable, controlled at expansion both at rifle velocities as well as slower revolver velocities. It's a good all-around choice to load in both your longarm and sidearm (if you happen to have a DA revolver in .357).

Another good choice would be a 158 grain jacketed soft point. I prefer the American Eagle line, made by Federal in the USA. Accurate, potent on small and medium game (and probably scumbags, but I can't point to any evidence in that regard) and it can also be loaded into your .357 revolver. It's my second choice if I were to only carry one bullet type for both my rifle and revolver.
Speak softly, but carry a .357 magnum.

Return to “General Firearms Discussion”