It took long enough... (pic heavy)

General discussions regarding topics that aren't covered in one of the other sub-forums. NO DISCUSSION OF POLITICS!

Moderators: ZS Global Moderators, ZS Postal Match Officers

planter

Re: It took long enough... (pic heavy)

Post by planter » Sat Aug 02, 2008 5:15 pm

I have a .357 Marlin for what's called Gallery Rifle - basically old pistol Courses of Fire using underlever rifles and .22 SA carbines.

Big and Daft

Post by Big and Daft » Sun Aug 03, 2008 3:27 pm

Ad'lan wrote:Is target shooting a Justifiable Reason for possesing a 357/.38 Lever or a .44/.45 black powder revolver. I'm just curious, I thought that although tecnically possible to own, finding a justifiable reason for owning those was quite hard.

Also, before my next comment, I gotta say, you are awesome, more power to you.

but I'm deeply ashamed there's no SMLE on your list.
Yes it is, the range I go to is a pistol and rifle club, also being able to shot black powder - to get a calibre on your FAC, its up to the club NOT the police to allow it you, if the club chairman and club members are happy for you to be shooting a .308 or black powder revolver next to them, the police are happy (tha may vary from police force to police force, as I aid before GMP and fucking great about firearms and shotguns). If the range is certified for that calibre then happy days.

As for the SMLE, I have a slot for .308/7.62. I'd prefer .308 over .303, easier to get hold of, but I might swap the .223 on my FAC for a .303 and get a SMLE as well, but, i'm going to get either an Enfield Envoy off a work collegue who, coincidently, is a memeber of the same gun club or an AIA Enfield. So the Enfield is on my list, don't worry!

The lever rifles are very popular with people who used to do pistol shooting and at indoor ranges, as the bigger centrefire stuff is too loud and the back stop won't stop it. As planter says, its called gallery shooting/rifle and is great if you don't want to spend 3-4 hours stood on a top of a hill in the middle of no-where with gale force winds and driving rain, when down below you its nearly 30 degrees and sunny!

I'd love to organise a ZSUK shooting day up at my range, but i'm not really allowed to bring anyone up, except a family meber from time to time.

planter

Post by planter » Sun Aug 03, 2008 3:39 pm

Spent all day on the range today. As soon as I put on my waterproofs it stopped raining and as soon as I took them off it hammered down!

The only 'turn up and have a go' shooting in the UK (apart from clays/air weapons) now is Practical Shotgun with restricted capacity firearms. Otherwise you have to get to a club guest/open day like they have at Bisley:

http://www.nra.org.uk/common/asp/Calend ... RA&id=1713

Return to “General Firearms Discussion”