CMP M1 Garand - My Story...

General discussions regarding topics that aren't covered in one of the other sub-forums. NO DISCUSSION OF POLITICS!

Moderators: ZS Global Moderators, ZS Postal Match Officers

Grin Reaper

Re: CMP M1 Garand - My Story...

Post by Grin Reaper » Sat Jul 05, 2008 11:09 am

HHaase wrote:
(Oh, and anybody here who shoots a K31..... I'll buy that berdan primed brass when you're done with it)
Are you reloading it? If so, how about a write-up on how, & where to find berdan primers?

HHaase
Favorite Zombie Movies: Errrr, I actually don't like zombie movies.
::::runs away::::

Post by HHaase » Sat Jul 05, 2008 11:57 am

Well, still workin on that. Having a lathe and air compressor available gives me a few options that other folks don't have, so I am working on plans for a pneumatic/hydraulic decapper. If it works out well, I may sell them. You can get the claw style decappers from Brownells/Midway. The primers? Those don't seem to turn up too often here in the US, be prepared to have to buy a 5,000 case minimum when you see them on AuctionArms or Gunbroker. I'm more just stocking up for future possibilities right now.
"This does not mean, however, that we are unaware of the true meaning of the term 'security.'
To us, the term has broad meaning. It rests in the physical force embodied as it is in the ships and their base,
but also in intellectual factors among which Intelligence plays an outstanding role."
- Captain Ellis M. Zacaraias, USN

tid
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days, Dawn of the Dead, Omega Man, Zombieland, Shawn of the Dead

Post by tid » Sun Jul 13, 2008 12:26 am

congrats! I encourage everyone to utilize the Civilian Marksmanship Program to its fullest extent. I've gotten a service grade M-1 Garand, a service grade Springfield M1903 and service grade M-1 carbine from the CMP. Not only are you doing your duty as a citizen by keeping proficent in your marksmanship skills, but you are also keeping a historical weapon that served its country from being lonely smothered in cosmoline in some government arsenal.

Its also a great dig on the anti-gunners, because there is no better feeling in the world than walking out to your curb and having the Fex-Ex man hand you a rifle.

war baby now residing in my bunker
NRA Certified Instructor Pistol, Rifle, Personal Protection in the Home
NRA Range Safety Officer
Glock Certified Armorer

mrdbeau

Post by mrdbeau » Mon Jul 14, 2008 10:23 pm

Trebor, would it be possible for you to easily find and link to your big CMP Garand thread that you started probably 9 months ago with all of the info on the CMP Garands. It was a great read at the time for me and would probably help people now, too, who have not seen it.

Edit: NM, it came up quickly in a search.

M1 Garand Tips and Tricks by Trebor
medic wrote:mrdbeau FTW!
Indeed, in our hearts we felt the sentence of death. But this happened that we might not rely on ourselves but on God, who raises the dead. -2 Corinthians 1:9

God Bless, HK!

Trebor

Post by Trebor » Tue Jul 15, 2008 12:38 am

mrdbeau wrote:Trebor, would it be possible for you to easily find and link to your big CMP Garand thread that you started probably 9 months ago with all of the info on the CMP Garands. It was a great read at the time for me and would probably help people now, too, who have not seen it.

Edit: NM, it came up quickly in a search.

M1 Garand Tips and Tricks by Trebor

Thanks for the bump on that thread. That's why I wrote it.
----
R.I.P HK33K - Gone, but not forgetten.

HHaase
Favorite Zombie Movies: Errrr, I actually don't like zombie movies.
::::runs away::::

Post by HHaase » Tue Jul 15, 2008 3:14 am

I finally got my own "War Baby" out to the range a few nights ago for the first time. Service Grade Winchester :-)
Shoots fantastic, much better than the Field Grade Garand. (at the time, no Service Grades were available).

Not sure what to get next actually.

-Hans
"This does not mean, however, that we are unaware of the true meaning of the term 'security.'
To us, the term has broad meaning. It rests in the physical force embodied as it is in the ships and their base,
but also in intellectual factors among which Intelligence plays an outstanding role."
- Captain Ellis M. Zacaraias, USN

DropZedFred
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by DropZedFred » Thu Aug 07, 2008 11:47 pm

Ditto, shot flawlessly.
First 5 rounds were in a "hunting" clip at 50 yards. 3 rounds in a 1/2" circle at 3 o'clock in the 9 ring. Come 4 clicks left - 2 rounds in the "X" - move to 100 yards.

Continuing with the Greek Surplus Ammo, I spewed 18 rounds in just over a 3" circle at 3 o'clock spanning from the X to the 9 ring. The Elevation markings are dead on, the windage was actually on "mechanical zero" once corrected. The Greek clips were great, the "new" CMP provided 8 rnd is awesome, but the used (surplus?) 2 round mag would not eject.

The aftermarket 2 and 1 round clips (Single Load Enhancement Device) also worked perfectly.

A+ to the CMP - Majorly pleased.
Pix to follow (camera packed for Appleseed this weekend).
ZSC:019 Member
Former ZSC-005 Chapter Vice Overlord and Potentate of the Northern Alliance for ZSC:005 - Western Washington Chapter (Founding 10), Activities Chair (by royal proclamation), "LIFER".

Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (2004)
Zombieland

Post by 0122358 » Tue May 08, 2012 2:16 pm

DropZedFred wrote:I agree with Trebor, I did some research and lurked the Garand sights. The Service Grade SA is a shooter/collector because they've "seen action", the HRA's (like I got) are known for better fit finish and condition (post war - newer) and the Collectors are for, well, collecting. I wanted an out of the box shooter that had plenty of miles left, but wasn't a "project" gun.
If you are building a .308 Garand or a match gun, you can go with FAR Lower grades since the barrel and stock will be replaced anyway, you only need an original receiver, trigger group and gas system. - Hope this helps...

What about just buying the reciever for 195 and building up a rifle from Fulton Armory parts (barrel, stock, gas system, bolt, ect) that way? (im thinking .308 btw) See link: http://www.fulton-armory.com/M1-Garand-Parts.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
SMoAF wrote:Your sin is one of geography, not one of unmanliness. Pimp's sin is that he's, well....himself.
Doctorr Fabulous wrote: I'd rather have 10 spooky-sized aircraft in an AO than 100 drones, because fuck those fucking pred flyboys who can't tell the difference between a shovel and an RPK.

Finch

Post by Finch » Tue May 08, 2012 2:22 pm

beautiful

now go shoot it in a CMP game match!

find the next one here

http://clubs.odcmp.com/cgi-bin/matchUpc ... ion=GARAND" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

and buy a turner 1907 you won't regret it http://www.turnersling.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA XTC High Master
CMP Distinguished Rifleman

my blog: GarandThumb.com

wguy00

Post by wguy00 » Wed May 09, 2012 12:50 pm

This thread is 3.5 years old.
He attacked everything in life with a mix of extraordinary genius and naive incompetence, and it was often difficult to tell which was which.
-Douglas Adams

Finch

Post by Finch » Wed May 09, 2012 1:08 pm

lol .... not my fault! but i dont know how i didn't notice that :)
NRA XTC High Master
CMP Distinguished Rifleman

my blog: GarandThumb.com

wguy00

Post by wguy00 » Wed May 09, 2012 1:55 pm

It's cool. It helps me pad my posts :lol:
He attacked everything in life with a mix of extraordinary genius and naive incompetence, and it was often difficult to tell which was which.
-Douglas Adams

Return to “General Firearms Discussion”