DC vs Heller - Handgun ownership case : Heller affirmed

General discussions regarding topics that aren't covered in one of the other sub-forums. NO DISCUSSION OF POLITICS!

Moderators: ZS Global Moderators, ZS Postal Match Officers

crypto
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Re: DC vs Heller - Handgun ownership case : Heller affirmed

Post by crypto » Thu Jun 26, 2008 8:05 pm

gothamalleyviper wrote:long over due, been waiting for weeks for this ruling.
I was very much afraid to hope for this much. This is going to ripple through every gun law since NFA 1934, I think. Scalias opinion has a whole lot going on inside of it, aside from the matter before the court. I think it will be a springboard for most of the stupid laws to fall.

Today is a great day for civil liberties, this might be the most important civil rights ruling of our generation.
MF'N TEAM LEADER

"Some people think that the best way to stop the leopard is to cut the horns off the gazelle. This, my friends, is insane."

Dave_M
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Dave_M » Thu Jun 26, 2008 8:06 pm

crypto wrote:
gothamalleyviper wrote:long over due, been waiting for weeks for this ruling.
I was very much afraid to hope for this much. This is going to ripple through every gun law since NFA 1934, I think. Scalias opinion has a whole lot going on inside of it, aside from the matter before the court. I think it will be a springboard for most of the stupid laws to fall.

Today is a great day for civil liberties, this might be the most important civil rights ruling of our generation.
I never thought I'd say this, but:

Crypto, I hope you're 100% correct.

:mrgreen:
Dave Merrill
Instructor for MilCopp Tactical LLC.

Rifle first. Rifle last. Rifle always.
Civilian Scout wrote:No one buys a Taurus because it's the best option available.

Flying Lead
Location: Alabama-Land of low taxes, lots of guns and more meth labs than you can count!

Post by Flying Lead » Thu Jun 26, 2008 8:16 pm

A talk radio guy said "Dueling pistols at the capitol are back in vogue. I see nothing but pure win here."
Scary thought.
The optimist learns English, a pessimist - Chinese, realist exploring a Kalashnikov rifle.-russian survival website
1911nufsaid wrote:I'm not implying you, or anyone on the forum for that matter, is a 'end of world' nut job.
Woods Walker wrote:If their shit was any tighter the carbon within would be turned to diamonds.
Put me down for M14, XD45 and Pie

Dave_M
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Dave_M » Thu Jun 26, 2008 8:19 pm

Flying Lead wrote:A talk radio guy said "Dueling pistols at the capitol are back in vogue. I see nothing but pure win here."
Scary thought.

Please. Every viable and non-biased study has shown that the more guns carried in the hands of law-abiding citizens produces less crime--not more.

For some reason, some people think that if you put a gun in a reasonable persons hand they instantly become sociopaths :roll:
Dave Merrill

Civilian Scout wrote:No one buys a Taurus because it's the best option available.

jptp0831

Post by jptp0831 » Thu Jun 26, 2008 8:24 pm

To break it down in even simpler terms: Every US Citizen who has civil rights (not stripped due to being a criminal or mentally defective) can own a pistol and keep it loaded in their home.
The ruling also is in fact a confirmation of our right to self defense.
ZS Fleet ZS0017 & ZS0024
ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

LakotaJones

Post by LakotaJones » Thu Jun 26, 2008 8:26 pm

In celebration, I went out and bought a G36, .45 acp subcompact glock with 40 rounds of hornady hollow point ammunition, and a serpa holster from black hawk. $670. God bless America.

grand94jeep
Favorite Zombie Movies: All Zombie movies. Even the bad ones

Post by grand94jeep » Thu Jun 26, 2008 8:38 pm

Thank Goodness. Finally, a step in the right direction. 8)

God Bless America :mrgreen:
,=====o00o _
//___l__,\____\,__
l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
(o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.
~Ronald Reagan~

MosinMe

Post by MosinMe » Thu Jun 26, 2008 8:57 pm

God Bless our Go...
God Bless our Gover....

I can't say that.

Gob Bless America. :)
Jeriah wrote: Chinese jungle boots will rip, rot, shred, and fall apart like your cock after a month in a Thai brothel.
The 4x4 Thread.

Abacus
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Abacus » Thu Jun 26, 2008 9:16 pm

I guess I'm happy for the guys that got something out of this, I'm just not feeling the wow. Wake me when I can build a machinegun again.
ImageImage

Tyler Durden

Post by Tyler Durden » Thu Jun 26, 2008 9:29 pm

jptp0831 wrote:To break it down in even simpler terms: Every US Citizen who has civil rights (not stripped due to being a criminal or mentally defective) can own a pistol and keep it loaded in their home.
The ruling also is in fact a confirmation of our right to self defense.

Nope. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Incorporation_(Bill_of_Rights" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)

Czechnology
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Czechnology » Thu Jun 26, 2008 9:30 pm

Jvandenhaus wrote:I guess I'm happy for the guys that got something out of this, I'm just not feeling the wow. Wake me when I can build a machinegun again.

Well coming from a guy who chose to strip his employees of their right to carry, I'm not terribly surprised. We'll wake you when you're less of a douche.
Nothing is ever what it seems, but everything is exactly what it is.
Vicarious_Lee wrote:If Nutnfacny were an 8-ounce chicken fried steak, he'd come with 72 ounces of batter around it that you have to slash through to get to it.

TheFreakinBear
Favorite Zombie Movies: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Trilogy, Boondock Saints, 300, Snatch, Ghostbusters, Ice Age.

Post by TheFreakinBear » Thu Jun 26, 2008 9:36 pm

Czechnology wrote:
Jvandenhaus wrote:I guess I'm happy for the guys that got something out of this, I'm just not feeling the wow. Wake me when I can build a machinegun again.

Well coming from a guy who chose to strip his employees of their right to carry, I'm not terribly surprised. We'll wake you when you're less of a douche.
:shock:
ImageImage

One Of None
Location: Homebrewing.... Disguise your drinking problem as a hobby!

Post by One Of None » Thu Jun 26, 2008 9:38 pm

At the very least, it's a giant step in the right direction. :)
http://www.deadseasonmusic.com/music" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Click me, crank me, buy me.
Dead Season has bubble gum. But they're still here to kick ass.
Your ass.
squinty wrote:
Sometimes I like it rough, I like the way it kicks me. But I need to have as much in the tube as possible - I'm a big bore capacity whore - so three inchers just won't do it for me.

crypto
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by crypto » Thu Jun 26, 2008 9:38 pm

Czechnology wrote:

MF'N TEAM LEADER

"Some people think that the best way to stop the leopard is to cut the horns off the gazelle. This, my friends, is insane."

HHaase
Favorite Zombie Movies: Errrr, I actually don't like zombie movies.
::::runs away::::

Post by HHaase » Thu Jun 26, 2008 9:42 pm

crypto wrote:
* The 1939 Miller case is repeatedly referred to as not being about the
second amendment, and is strictly about particularly dangerous and unusual
weapons not useful to militias.
Miller is just a freak case, from start to finish. No representation for the defense at the SCOTUS hearings. And the other oddball fact that gets overlooked, you really have to dig in the opinion to find it, is that Miller wasn't tried for possessing a "prohibited" firearm. He was tried for having not registered, and paid the taxes on, a "restricted" firearm. The right to keep and bear the firearm was never really questioned, as he could have legally done both had he registered it and paid the fee. Which means in the near future it may become a more important case than it has been, if the gun control movement goes from banning to registration as their primary focus.
"This does not mean, however, that we are unaware of the true meaning of the term 'security.'
To us, the term has broad meaning. It rests in the physical force embodied as it is in the ships and their base,
but also in intellectual factors among which Intelligence plays an outstanding role."
- Captain Ellis M. Zacaraias, USN

One Of None

Post by One Of None » Thu Jun 26, 2008 9:43 pm

TheFreakinBear wrote:
Czechnology wrote:

:shock:
?
http://www.deadseasonmusic.com/music" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Your ass.
squinty wrote:
Sometimes I like it rough, I like the way it kicks me. But I need to have as much in the tube as possible - I'm a big bore capacity whore - so three inchers just won't do it for me.

Shadowsbane
Favorite Zombie Movies: Undead.

Post by Shadowsbane » Thu Jun 26, 2008 9:46 pm

Today is a day of victory yes, but this is not Heller’s victory. Neither is this a victory for the NRA, the GOA, or any other mere organization.

Today.

This is a victory for the American people, from the woman sitting in hospital bed battered and raped to the elderly couple who have seen so much change in the only home they have ever known. Regardless of your faith, regardless of your race or ethnic background today is a day of victory for you.

It is a crux, a turning point, a stemming of the tide, for today you are free.

No longer must your life be in another’s hands. No longer must you rely upon the speed of the police or the mercy of the rapist or the thief. You are free to face your adversary with your head held high, and say that you will not go gently into that dark night.

Today is a day for celebration, not just for us and those here today. But for all who have come before us, bled before us. Today we honor their memory and sacrifice by taking a stand for freedom.

To all the lovers of freedom and liberty I say this:

Cherish this victory.

Indeed hold it close to your heart, for as great as this victory is, it is not complete, nor is it everlasting. For the enemies of liberty are numerous, and above all patient. We must persevere, we must continue moving forward. Whenever they try to subvert liberty we must be there, forever guarding the values this nation was founded on. One break in the line, one compromise to the liberty of one is a compromise to us all.

Enjoy today’s respite, for our struggle is far from over.
All dwarfs are by nature dutiful, serious, literate, obedient and thoughtful people whose only minor failing is a tendency, after one drink, to rush at enemies screaming "Arrrrrrgh!" and axing their legs off at the knee.
Terry Pratchett

http://www.lonelymountainleather.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (Temporarily closed)

I am col o r Blind

One Of None

Post by One Of None » Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:04 pm

Shadowsbane wrote:Today is a day of victory yes, but this is not Heller’s victory. Neither is this a victory for the NRA, the GOA, or any other mere organization.

Today.

This is a victory for the American people, from the woman sitting in hospital bed battered and raped to the elderly couple who have seen so much change in the only home they have ever known. Regardless of your faith, regardless of your race or ethnic background today is a day of victory for you.

It is a crux, a turning point, a stemming of the tide, for today you are free.

No longer must your life be in another’s hands. No longer must you rely upon the speed of the police or the mercy of the rapist or the thief. You are free to face your adversary with your head held high, and say that you will not go gently into that dark night.

Today is a day for celebration, not just for us and those here today. But for all who have come before us, bled before us. Today we honor their memory and sacrifice by taking a stand for freedom.

To all the lovers of freedom and liberty I say this:

Cherish this victory.

Indeed hold it close to your heart, for as great as this victory is, it is not complete, nor is it everlasting. For the enemies of liberty are numerous, and above all patient. We must persevere, we must continue moving forward. Whenever they try to subvert liberty we must be there, forever guarding the values this nation was founded on. One break in the line, one compromise to the liberty of one is a compromise to us all.

Enjoy today’s respite, for our struggle is far from over.
Wow. Just wow. Well said.
Your ass.
squinty wrote:

jptp0831

Post by jptp0831 » Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:21 pm

Tyler Durden, your link is full of fail. Wiki are you freaking nuts? Read the majority.
ZS Fleet ZS0017 & ZS0024
ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

crypto
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by crypto » Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:53 pm

I just finished a celebratory bottle of champagne, and I'm still super excited about the ruling.
MF'N TEAM LEADER

Flying Lead
Location: Alabama-Land of low taxes, lots of guns and more meth labs than you can count!

Post by Flying Lead » Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:06 pm

DavePAL84 wrote:
Flying Lead wrote:A talk radio guy said "Dueling pistols at the capitol are back in vogue. I see nothing but pure win here."
Scary thought.

Please. Every viable and non-biased study has shown that the more guns carried in the hands of law-abiding citizens produces less crime--not more.

For some reason, some people think that if you put a gun in a reasonable persons hand they instantly become sociopaths :roll:
Don't think he meant it like that. I suspect the idea of senators and representatives settling arguments by duels not hurling insults and the thought of sending new replacements thrilled him somehow. Perhaps a more effective bunch would take their place I guess.

And I agree, more guns means less crime if statistics mean anything.
Don't remember seeing a pickup truck car-jacked with a couple of rifles in a gun rack that's plainly visible.
The only troubling part was the 5 to 4 split. That would send a message that we are only one well meaning anti gun liberal president choosing a like minded judge away from turning back gun rights 200 years.
Last edited by Flying Lead on Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The optimist learns English, a pessimist - Chinese, realist exploring a Kalashnikov rifle.-russian survival website
1911nufsaid wrote:I'm not implying you, or anyone on the forum for that matter, is a 'end of world' nut job.
Woods Walker wrote:If their shit was any tighter the carbon within would be turned to diamonds.
Put me down for M14, XD45 and Pie

Dave_M
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Dave_M » Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:07 pm

crypto wrote:I just finished a celebratory bottle of champagne, and I'm still super excited about the ruling.
Yeah, I'm on my 116th beer of the day. Fuck yeah!
Dave Merrill

Kommander

Post by Kommander » Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:11 pm

I think that Midway is a good analogy for this. I was actually thinking the same thing on my way home from work today.

Why must all the hoops be on fire?

Doctor Jest
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Doctor Jest » Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:14 pm

Mmmmmmm...I'm celebrating with
I survived ZombieCon 2007, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 and 16!!!
Towanda wrote:When I become Empress of the Universe, ticks are the first (and so far only) species slated for complete genocide.

Return to “General Firearms Discussion”