A scary thought

General discussions regarding topics that aren't covered in one of the other sub-forums. NO DISCUSSION OF POLITICS!

Moderators: ZS Global Moderators, ZS Postal Match Officers

armored_pig

A scary thought

Post by armored_pig » Sat May 31, 2008 3:12 am

Theres one kid at my school just making small talk with me today, doesn't seem like a very bright person, but I entertained the company anyway..

Well, coming up in conversation, I mentioned target shooting and his eyes lit up--seems he LOVES target shooting, especially when hes high. He was very amused by the act of it and asked me if I like shooting when I smoke up too.

I was appalled. I don't smoke pot for one, though I could care less if others do--but DEFINITELY NOT WHILE SHOOTING. Hell if I'm out camping and have had 2 drinks+ I unload my guns and put the ammo away.

Is this common? Or is this guy a true dumbass? Smoking pot and shooting? Isn't that a waste of ammo? Extremely unsafe? WTF?

AP

Kommander

Re: A scary thought

Post by Kommander » Sat May 31, 2008 3:27 am

Given the effect pot has on people I don't know that is is really all that unsafe but I still think it is an idiotic idea to use illegal drugs while shooting. I am certain several levels of law enforcement would become quite interested in his case where he to be caught having drugs and guns at the same time.

Why must all the hoops be on fire?

siglite
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead

Post by siglite » Sat May 31, 2008 3:39 am

Pure dumbass. I've smoked enough weed to know how easy it is to lose focus. How easy it is to get careless. When stoned, nothing seems very important. Even safety.

Though, there's a "stoned" curve. Right after you smoke up, there's a 20 minute to half hour peak. You're pretty much intellectually useless during that time period. However, for the following two hours, it is possible to get zen-like focus on a single task. The problem, is that on the range, that task would not be safety. It would be the weapon and hitting the target. Leaving the door open (or mentally closed if you will) for a serious safety mistake. A potentially deadly one.

I don't smoke anymore. Haven't for quite a number of years. But if I still did, I wouldn't shoot within two hours of smoking up.
VP - WVCDL http://www.wvcdl.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://wv2a.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Ad'lan
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead
Rabid (1977)

Post by Ad'lan » Sat May 31, 2008 3:44 am

If you are intoxicated in anyway, you have no business with any sort of weapon.
My Guide to making your own Bowstring
My Guide to making your own Flint Arrowheads
My Guide to Fletching
My Guide to Primitive Fletching
Cymro wrote:Seriously, I'm not sure I'd fuck with Ad'lan if he had his bow with him. I just don't see that ending well.
Please Check out my PAW Story, Fagin

crunchy53

Post by crunchy53 » Sat May 31, 2008 6:02 am

does he shoot at a local/public range? or just with friends/solo. if hes around other dumbasses doing the same thing then one day they will learn a lesson. if at the range with others in danger ask him when he plans to shoot and call some law on him or a local leo visiting said range.

Mbelasko12

Post by Mbelasko12 » Sat May 31, 2008 7:11 am

On the spiketv show 1000 ways to die, one of the deaths occured when two morons were drinking and shooting. Well one of the darwin award winners decides to see if he can make his buddy dance which he does except he lands on rattler that bites him in the upper chest near the heart....moral of the story this is why you dont smoke up/drink up while shooting. This is also how my buudy rearanged his some of his teeth with pistol grip shotgun while fireing at bottles from a moving boat. :roll:

Pondo_Sinatra

Post by Pondo_Sinatra » Sat May 31, 2008 7:24 am

I vote for "dumbass".

IF anything were to go all clubfooted while he was shooting and he gets injured, imagine the shitstorm after the cops find out a bunch of assclowns were smoking reefer and playing with guns. In some states, just having guns and drugs together invoke a separate, mandatory prison sentence, not to mention putting a round through your buddy's foot.

ClownRacer

Post by ClownRacer » Sat May 31, 2008 8:03 am

i smoke a lot of pot....and i usually advocate that it does no harm....but this is a no brainer when ever i go shooting i am sober....same with paintball....you know its not a bad thing to have a couple of sober activitys

Captain_Obvious

Post by Captain_Obvious » Sat May 31, 2008 8:34 am

Wow this hasn't been locked yet. I'll stick around, b/c I'm sure it will be. I'm quite sure admitting to using illegal drugs is a no no, just like discussing illegal explosive is. I could be wrong, but I don't think I am.
VOLUNTEERING: It doesn't pay

Cultentacle

Post by Cultentacle » Sat May 31, 2008 9:50 am

Captain_Obvious wrote:Wow this hasn't been locked yet. I'll stick around, b/c I'm sure it will be. I'm quite sure admitting to using illegal drugs is a no no, just like discussing illegal explosive is. I could be wrong, but I don't think I am.

I think the two illegal topics are slightly different. The former is illegal in many places but the law usually doesn't penalize individuals but rather dealers and such, at least in Canada; and besides here in Canada (I'm not sure about elsewhere) marijuana is legal as a medical treatment. Illegal explosives on the other hand...kill people or blow things up. Correct me if I'm wrong though, I'm not exactly an expert on drug abuse...or blowing people up for that matter.

minengr

Post by minengr » Sat May 31, 2008 11:25 am

Being under the influence of anything, while shooting, is a very bad idea. I’ve gone as far as avoiding caffeinated beverages before I go to the range.
Bullet drop is physics, reading wind is voodoo

Captain_Obvious

Post by Captain_Obvious » Sat May 31, 2008 11:30 am

It falls under "No discussion of illegal activities" I think. Anyway the only thing I was commenting on was the guy who said "I smoke pot all the time", not the rest of the thread. I'm just trying to help, not hijack.

I don't even take Ambien that my Doc gave me, so I won't be out of it if I have to defend myself. If I was at the range and some guy told me he was high and he was shooting.... I would leave the range and call the cops. I'm not going to let some jackass kill me or my shooting buddy b/c he thinks it's fun to shoot and smoke pot. If he was being reckless I might put my hands on him before he killed someone.

Dumptruck
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dead series (Romero), 28 Days Later

Post by Dumptruck » Sat May 31, 2008 11:31 am

I have refused to go to the range when very tired due to a fear of losing focus. I wouldn't be able to live with myself if I offed a stranger or one of my family members due to my poor judgement.

Beowolf1911

Post by Beowolf1911 » Sat May 31, 2008 11:34 am

Meh I do drink and plink every few months, a few beer and some fun with a .22, no one ever came close to getting hurt.
When a man says never or always he is usually wrong

Captain_Obvious

Post by Captain_Obvious » Sat May 31, 2008 11:39 am

Yeah, I love playing with guns while under the influence. What's the worst that could happen :roll:

BEar667
Favorite Zombie Movies: Pick one

Post by BEar667 » Sat May 31, 2008 11:43 am

Ok I just got to say, that it is an BAD idea to be stoned/high/drunk and shoot at the same time. Poor judgment, and vision (double vision/blurred vision, etc) could really screw the pooch for you for a Very Long Time if you were caught. I used to drink, and every now and again I have a drink or three, but NEVER if iI am going to be any where near a fire arm, loaded or not.
KØMRD General Class

NRA MEMBER

Parate Omnes Casus!

docsven

Post by docsven » Sat May 31, 2008 11:52 am

I think you may have just met a future recipient of the Darwin Awards.

My advice : Stay as far away from him as possible

Docsven
Smoking is a filthy habit. I pick my NOSE...but only in the FINEST of RESTAURANTS !

One Of None
Location: Homebrewing.... Disguise your drinking problem as a hobby!

Post by One Of None » Sat May 31, 2008 12:02 pm

Well fuck, am I the only person that has a bong mounted on my AR15 rail?
Seriously, drugs/alcohol + guns = potential disaster.
http://www.deadseasonmusic.com/music" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Click me, crank me, buy me.
Dead Season has bubble gum. But they're still here to kick ass.
Your ass.
squinty wrote:
Sometimes I like it rough, I like the way it kicks me. But I need to have as much in the tube as possible - I'm a big bore capacity whore - so three inchers just won't do it for me.

Cultentacle

Post by Cultentacle » Sat May 31, 2008 12:05 pm

Captain_Obvious wrote:It falls under "No discussion of illegal activities" I think. Anyway the only thing I was commenting on was the guy who said "I smoke pot all the time", not the rest of the thread. I'm just trying to help, not hijack.

I don't even take Ambien that my Doc gave me, so I won't be out of it if I have to defend myself. If I was at the range and some guy told me he was high and he was shooting.... I would leave the range and call the cops. I'm not going to let some jackass kill me or my shooting buddy b/c he thinks it's fun to shoot and smoke pot. If he was being reckless I might put my hands on him before he killed someone.

Sorry, I didn't mean to sound offensive. I just don't think this thread should be locked up 'cause of what someone mentioned about what they smoke in their spare time.

On topic, I've never actually held a loaded firearm before, but I don't think knowing that some crazy people shoot under the influence will drive me or other firearm newbies to a shooting range any time soon.

Erik

Post by Erik » Sat May 31, 2008 12:17 pm

What proves beyond a doubt this guy's an idiot is that while he's NOT high, he sees nothing wrong with the idea of shooting while high.

Patient Zer0
Favorite Zombie Movies: 90 remake of NOTLD, Shaun of the Dead, Dead and Breakfast, Dance of the Dead

Post by Patient Zer0 » Sat May 31, 2008 12:37 pm

Drugs and alcohol DO NOT MIX! If you don't believe me I'll see if I can find the pictures of my friend Glenn who was shot by a stoned idiot with a .22 while target shooting. Not a nice way to lose a kidney. :evil:
bonanacrom wrote:I'd never throw others out of my way to save myself over them but anyone in my way with speeches about rules and regulations is going to get punched in the throat.
TIOCFAIDH AR LA

Dave_M
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Dave_M » Sat May 31, 2008 12:44 pm

You've got to be kidding me.
Dave Merrill
Instructor for MilCopp Tactical LLC.

Rifle first. Rifle last. Rifle always.
Civilian Scout wrote:No one buys a Taurus because it's the best option available.

Rush2112

Post by Rush2112 » Sat May 31, 2008 1:08 pm

Kommander wrote:Given the effect pot has on people I don't know that is is really all that unsafe but I still think it is an idiotic idea to use illegal drugs while shooting. I am certain several levels of law enforcement would become quite interested in his case where he to be caught having drugs and guns at the same time.
I've never been a pot smoker, but I know for a fact that if my (ex)buddy had been armed the time we were at this pond near my house right after he'd smoked up, he'd have been trying to take potshots at the "snipers in the trees".

In other instances he'd probably be hiding in bushes or or any other sort of concealment offered with his weapon drawn until "they" went away...IE his paranoia wore off.
I Survived NNY2010WCT!
I Survived NNY2011WCT!
Big Mac wrote:Next time you say clip when referring to a magazine, we're cutting your dick off. You have been warned.

Sheol151

Post by Sheol151 » Sat May 31, 2008 1:32 pm

I thought gangsters did that all the time? And they seem to be fine....Plenty of them around.

And since 50 was shot 9 times and he doesn't walk with a limp....he's allright...I think it'll be ok

Return to “General Firearms Discussion”