Firearms pet peeves

General discussions regarding topics that aren't covered in one of the other sub-forums. NO DISCUSSION OF POLITICS!

Moderators: ZS Global Moderators, ZS Postal Match Officers

Beowolf1911

Firearms pet peeves

Post by Beowolf1911 » Wed May 21, 2008 9:36 pm

I have a few fire arms pet peeves, not just guys who don't know how to use them properly, just things done to "customize" a gun that IMO makes no sense. The three big ones for me are bipods on pistol caliber carbines, red dots on bolt rifles and semi auto sub compact sub machineguns. like the Mac’s and short barreled Uzi’s. To me a pistol caliber carbine is too short range to justify a high power scope or a bipod. A long range bolt gun, would be more effective with iron sights then a red dot, and little sub guns like the MAC and UZI were supposed to be bullet hoses and since they weigh a ton and aren’t that accurate a semi auto version just doesn't serve any purpose. I am not trying to knock anyone’s guns, to each there own but I want to know every one else’s pet peeves.
When a man says never or always he is usually wrong

Hoppy
Favorite Zombie Movies: all of them. except Diary of The Dead.

Re: Firearms pet peeves

Post by Hoppy » Wed May 21, 2008 10:33 pm

clips vs mags. customized anything. "Sporter" milsurps. turning any gun into any other. (SKS to an AK. AK to an M4 etc)
No one has a sense for the dramatic.

5.56 Disciple
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of The Dead, 28 Days Later, 28 Weeks Later, I Am Legend

Post by 5.56 Disciple » Wed May 21, 2008 10:43 pm

Those M4-geries that have so many useless accessories on them they waeigh 20 lbs.
Gundown wrote:I always did want to fuck a muppet.

If you are asking people on the internet what rifle you should buy, you need a Garand.

AR, 1911, PIE!

Curly McPube

Post by Curly McPube » Wed May 21, 2008 11:21 pm

Nothing against any of you, my ZS friends :mrgreen: ^^^

People who bitch about other people's guns. It's their shit, let them do as they please.

and

Firearm snobs. You know who you are. You think that if a piece of glass doesn't cost at least $1,000 then it's no good.

Finally

Pussy-assed douchebags who have their lawyers on speed dial and threaten the use of it to get their way.

EDITED FOR MORE CONTENT (MAY 27)
Last edited by Curly McPube on Tue May 27, 2008 1:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Abbot Hayes! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VwyIeqoYEkc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"The crisis of today is the joke of tomorrow" H.G. Wells

Mbelasko12

Post by Mbelasko12 » Thu May 22, 2008 1:58 am

Curly McPube wrote:Nothing against any of you, my ZS friends :mrgreen: ^^^

People who bitch about other people's guns. It's their shit, let them do as they please.

+ 1

I plan to pimp a Tokarev pistol one day. High gloss red, yellow accents. Most likely will be a Norinco so I hope to have some Chinese characters and some Flying tiger inspired 'muzzle' art to go with 7.62 TT fireball. Also hopefully some custom grips.

Beanhead

Post by Beanhead » Thu May 22, 2008 3:45 am

I had a co worker bring his 4 kids to the range, all at the same time. 4 of them. He was the only parent with them. They were not well behaved. Worse still, he screamed and treated them like shit. I left.
People who claim to be professionals and do fucked up shit, like lazing my balls when they unholster a weapon.
Old gun guys who think that their way is the only way and that nothing of value has been created or discovered since they were trained a hundred years ago.
Old gun guys acting snobbish, grumpy, and old, and chasing away the young new people that will keep gun ownership strong.
$10,000 worth of accessories on a $1,000 rifle.
$10 dollars worth of CTD garbage on a $1,000 rifle.
The rangemaster burning garbage upwind from me, making me smell like burning garbage.
guns with a grip safety.
HKs proprietary rails. (Because I suck, and they hate me)
destroying beautiful historic rifles.

Edited: cause me kant spell gud
Last edited by Beanhead on Thu May 22, 2008 5:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Omnes ad unum
Cpt. MelonBuster wrote: Nothing says "GTFO of my country right now" like your buddy's head dissolving from a trigger pulled 600m away.

inclinebench

Post by inclinebench » Thu May 22, 2008 4:51 am

My beefs are more about people, more than what they do to a gun. We have a local free rifle/pistol range that used to be great. It was maintained primarily with donations and by a few dedicated guys who kept it in good shape. But too many dumb kids brought out crap to shoot, not paper targets, but glass, TVs and anything else they thought would be fun to shoot. After shooting these things they left the remains scattered about the range. Now this place looks more like a junkyard than a proper shooting range. There used to be target stands and placement marks at given distances....now these people have shot apart the target stands and the places to put new ones are destroyed. Now there are range rats coming to the range, picking up my brass while I shoot, clamoring around at my feet picking up brass. They try to talk to you and ask to shoot your guns etc. I used to love this free range, but now stupid people have ruined a great range. Those are my big complaints right now. I also hate pearl handled pistol grips.

Yaivenov
Favorite Zombie Movies: Where do you even start?

Post by Yaivenov » Thu May 22, 2008 5:17 am

inclinebench wrote:I also hate pearl handled pistol grips.
"Only a New Orleans pimp would carry a pearl-handled gun." -General George Patton

I'd say my primary peeve is general stupidity. With "sporterizing" historical firearms coming in a very close second. Even though my Mosin only cost $90, I could never bring myself to deface it by tapping the receiver for a scope, putting on an angled bolt, etc.
Idiocracy was a documentary.

bookshop

Post by bookshop » Thu May 22, 2008 5:31 am

People who've obviously never handled a gun continuously sweeping the sales clerk.
Parents letting their kids run around the gun store dry firing everything.
Not being able to bitch slap said people because I don't want to get banned from my favorite gun store.
Having the guy teaching the gun safety course sweep me.
Not being able to afford a tavor/sig556/aks-74u.
Having to fill out the same stupid for over and over and over.
Magazine Safeties.
Vegan Gun Owners of America

MS8725

Post by MS8725 » Thu May 22, 2008 5:43 am

inclinebench wrote:My beefs are more about people, more than what they do to a gun. We have a local free rifle/pistol range that used to be great. It was maintained primarily with donations and by a few dedicated guys who kept it in good shape. But too many dumb kids brought out crap to shoot, not paper targets, but glass, TVs and anything else they thought would be fun to shoot. After shooting these things they left the remains scattered about the range. Now this place looks more like a junkyard than a proper shooting range. There used to be target stands and placement marks at given distances....now these people have shot apart the target stands and the places to put new ones are destroyed. Now there are range rats coming to the range, picking up my brass while I shoot, clamoring around at my feet picking up brass. They try to talk to you and ask to shoot your guns etc. I used to love this free range, but now stupid people have ruined a great range. Those are my big complaints right now. I also hate pearl handled pistol grips.
We have two ranges that are like that here. One has a washing machine that has been left there among all the other electronics and wine bottles. That stuff is fun to shoot but come on, pick up after yourself. The target post have all been shot to shit and there are shotshell hulls all over creation. I hate that. This weekend I am taking my rage out on the range with a shovel and a few bags :evil: . I don't want the county shutting us down.

I too hate it when people take my brass WHILE I AM STILL SHOOTING! Aside from the blatant safety concerns as far as I am concerned until I say go for it, the brass I have been shooting is still mine and it is stealing. I reload and that brass case Lake City 5.56 is MINE until I say otherwise. I will admit that if I arrive and find some nice brass and NO ONE is there I will take it, if anything to add to my collection or just to pick up. Last week some guy left 3 boxes of .270 WIN just right next to the bench, empty boxes strewn about. Rude behavior has no place anywhere and especially not on a firing range.

The last thing on my list are unsupervised BRATS. I was once face to face with a hot .22lr pistol because somebody brought 10 kids to the range and couldn't supervise them. The kid just picks up a pistol, grabs a loaded magazine and starts doing whatever it is he wants to. WTF??????? That trip cost $36 just to go shoot at that range not including ammo and gas to get there. Don't get me wrong, I take my son shooting every week. He knows the rules and stays near me and does not bother people when others are there. He won't even take a gun until the other person shows him it is clear and the safety is on.

Well thats about it for me . Sorry for the rant. (Steps off soapbox)
“The weight of this sad time we must obey;
Speak what we feel, not what we ought to say."-Edgar, King Lear

Erik

Post by Erik » Thu May 22, 2008 6:08 am

I absolutely can't stand the attitude that some people have that your brand of gun sucks because it's not their brand of gun. Now, don't get me wrong - I'll be the first one to loudly state how great I think my choice of guns are, but I don't generally disparage people for buying a different gun. You won't often see me say "Your gun is crap. You should should my gun instead because yours is such crap." The worst offenders are some (only some, not all or even the majority) Glock owners downing other people because they bought inexpensive guns. I don't care if it's a Hi-Point pistol - If they like it, leave them the hell alone and shut the fuck up about how cheap their gun is and how much better your Glock is.

I hate it when people feel they're superior to you based upon something as meaningless and irrelevant as their product choices. Anyone who's very identity is based upon some company's product clearly has a feeling of low personal value anyway.

-Erik

Jamie
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: DOTD04, Special Dead, Shaun of the Dead, 28 ______ Later

Post by Jamie » Thu May 22, 2008 6:34 am

I'm not a big fan of pimping up firearms, but am currently playing with a gunshow acquisition (break action 20G) that I have cut down to 18.25", and am modifying the shit out of, just for fun...

I like my 30.06 with a scope, and my 22lr and 870 and SKS as they came out of the box, but I don't begrudge anyone piling untold amounts of crap onto their own firearms...besides protecting ourselves and our loved ones from the zombie menace, firearms are supposed to be fun, so why not do what you want?

Jamie
"I don't want to survive. I want to live. " - Captain B. McCrea

My Blog and website, dealing largely with my writing projects...I've published two novels, "Here Be Monsters" and "Caretakers", along with a pair of eBooks, "Mickey Slips" and "Bound for Home"...check them out!

FlatlinesUp

Post by FlatlinesUp » Thu May 22, 2008 7:18 am

I love everyone.

:mrgreen:
BethDeath wrote:I'm the one who pointed out ZS to my husband. Nuff said. I'm awesome.

Czechnology
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Czechnology » Thu May 22, 2008 7:29 am

Yaivenov wrote:
"Only a New Orleans pimp would carry a pearl-handled gun." -General George Patton

I'd say my primary peeve is general stupidity. With "sporterizing" historical firearms coming in a very close second. Even though my Mosin only cost $90, I could never bring myself to deface it by tapping the receiver for a scope, putting on an angled bolt, etc.
You do realize there are period scopes (PE and PU) as well as period angled bolthandles you could put on it, right?
Nothing is ever what it seems, but everything is exactly what it is.
Vicarious_Lee wrote:If Nutnfacny were an 8-ounce chicken fried steak, he'd come with 72 ounces of batter around it that you have to slash through to get to it.

NikIniquitous

Post by NikIniquitous » Thu May 22, 2008 7:40 am

inclinebench wrote:I used to love this free range, but now stupid people have ruined a great range.
It's those stupid people who "raise" their kids with zero discipline and are outraged when you take offense to the little monsters' behavior. Rules are in place for a reason. Especially those regarding safety. *feels a rant coming on and just walks it off*
Image Have you visited Autumn Country yet?

Yaivenov
Favorite Zombie Movies: Where do you even start?

Post by Yaivenov » Thu May 22, 2008 8:01 am

Czechnology wrote:
Yaivenov wrote:

You do realize there are period scopes (PE and PU) as well as period angled bolthandles you could put on it, right?
But it wasn't built as one originally. I wouldn't feel right about taking a 79 year old rifle and changing it into something it wasn't originally built as, but I think that's for another thread.
Idiocracy was a documentary.

olbaid_dratsab

Post by olbaid_dratsab » Thu May 22, 2008 8:27 am

That B.O. and fecal smell that you walk into at the right moment right time at gunshows. Seeing hammers back at gunshops. Gunshops/pawnshops (except for one, the guys there really know their stuff, and they make REALLY great deals for me.) How much value drops when you trade one in, I'm sticking to the private market for now on. The fact that Glock doesn't make a single stack sub-compact 9x19 sized to about the same size as a Kahr PM9 or even a CW9. My roommate who won't get a membership to the local range or persue anything dealling with shooting even though he has assloads of money in firearms and loves to shoot. The M9.
Hellow fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you. Thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What?. Taxes. They'll be lower son. The Democratic vote for me is right thing to do, Philadeplhia. So do.

LittleTeapot
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by LittleTeapot » Thu May 22, 2008 8:33 am

<$0.02>

People who don't remember that everyone is born very stupid;
and that people acquire knowledge about firearms because other people teach them.

</$0.02>
Insert Witty Signature Here

>>> Join Zombie Squad

inclinebench

Post by inclinebench » Thu May 22, 2008 8:54 am

One other thing I forgot is when some badass shows up with his phone chord wrapped bad ass weapon and makes the rest of us look like kittens with his awesomeness.

crypto
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by crypto » Thu May 22, 2008 9:41 am

olbaid_dratsab wrote:That B.O. and fecal smell that you walk into at the right moment right time at gunshows.
Why do you hate grandpa?
MF'N TEAM LEADER

"Some people think that the best way to stop the leopard is to cut the horns off the gazelle. This, my friends, is insane."

Moana Drifter

Post by Moana Drifter » Thu May 22, 2008 10:21 am

LittleTeapot wrote:<$0.02>

People who don't remember that everyone is born very ignorant;
and that people acquire knowledge about firearms because other people teach them if they aren't too stupid to be willing to learn.

</$0.02>
Fixed it for ya.
Perhaps we'll meet again on some sin-infested street corner in Houston, Texas.

Hoppy
Favorite Zombie Movies: all of them. except Diary of The Dead.

Post by Hoppy » Thu May 22, 2008 10:38 am

bookshop wrote: Having to fill out the same stupid for over and over and over.
Magazine Safeties.
quoted for truth

Czechnology wrote:
Yaivenov wrote:
inclinebench wrote: You do realize there are period scopes (PE and PU) as well as period angled bolthandles you could put on it, right?
period correct is the key word. Sniper mosins are a different animal than a bubba hack job. i dont support "sporterization" how ever im ok with sniper reproduction models (so long as properly labled as reproductions) they key is to do it right, not do it quick.

another pet peeve is generally fan boys. glocks are the worst for me, im sorry. i just hate listening to it. i suppose its because im jaded against glocks. and while i do like 1911's and they are my personal gun, i admit there are a lot of other good, and even better guns out there. but i can open a thread that says "whats the best large framed .44 magnum revolver" and weill get at least 5 replys that i should get a glock in .40 cal instead. obviously there are more quiet owners than vocal fan boys
No one has a sense for the dramatic.

jdavidboyd

Post by jdavidboyd » Thu May 22, 2008 10:46 am

inclinebench wrote:...range rats...
Huh, I thought it was okay (in accordance with local municipality laws of course) to shoot vermin?

REB 27

Post by REB 27 » Thu May 22, 2008 12:30 pm

FlatlinesUp wrote:I love everyone.

:mrgreen:

I love every gun...especially mine. :D
F***, I hate clowns!

Chevron seven, locked!

Return to “General Firearms Discussion”