Hows your accuracy?

General discussions regarding topics that aren't covered in one of the other sub-forums. NO DISCUSSION OF POLITICS!

Moderators: ZS Global Moderators, ZS Postal Match Officers

SimonJester308
Favorite Zombie Movies: All of them.

Hows your accuracy?

Post by SimonJester308 » Wed Apr 16, 2008 12:41 pm

So, pretty handy with a rifle? Can you hit a blank piece of copy paper (8.5x11) @ 100 yards? Open sights? Not as easy as it sounds. Dont believe me, try it. Lafayette Sheriffs Dept range is open to the public on saturdays. They have a 100 yard rifle range. At 100 yards a piece of white copy paper is exactly the width of the front sight of my rifle. Not much room for error. Want to make it interesting? Before you set up for your shot, knock out about 20 pushups. Get your heart rate up. No problem right? Now use a green and brown colored sheet of copy paper. Your breathing hard, your hearts beating pretty fast, and that white piece of paper that is no wider than the front sight of your rifle just disappeared. Quite the pickle, no? I would love to be able to brag about how I shred that piece of paper on a regular basis, but the truth is that white piece of copy paper laughs at me. My Office Depot Nemesis is quite safe and sound, for now. My point being is that I like so many Americans posses a weapon that is not capable of reaching its full potential. No ones fault but mine, my only excuse is that I thought my marksmanship was better than it really is. I found out the truth, I can accept it, but not live with it. I will become better. I have to, simply because when the moment of truth occurs and I might have to be ready to defend my family, and community, that piece of paper wont be standing there waiting for me to punch a hole through it. It will be moving, camouflaged, capable of return fire, and most likely wont be alone. So ask yourself if you can do it, better yet prove it. Bring a friend, nothing like having a witness. Because if you cant hit that piece of paper 10 out of 10 times, every time, all the time, you might have a short day of days when you are needed most.

Valekhai

Re: Hows your accuracy?

Post by Valekhai » Wed Apr 16, 2008 12:54 pm

SimonJester308 wrote:So, pretty handy with a rifle?
No.
SimonJester308 wrote:Can you hit a blank piece of copy paper (8.5x11) @ 100 yards? Open sights?
Haven’t tried.
SimonJester308 wrote:Not as easy as it sounds.
It doesn’t sound easy.
SimonJester308 wrote:Dont believe me, try it.
Okay.
SimonJester308 wrote:Want to make it interesting?
Sure.
SimonJester308 wrote:Before you set up for your shot, knock out about 20 pushups. Get your heart rate up. No problem right?
There might be.
SimonJester308 wrote:Now use a green and brown colored sheet of copy paper. Your breathing hard, your hearts beating pretty fast, and that white piece of paper that is no wider than the front sight of your rifle just disappeared. Quite the pickle, no?
No. Wait, yes. Which is correct?
SimonJester308 wrote:I would love to be able to brag about how I shred that piece of paper on a regular basis, but the truth is that white piece of copy paper laughs at me.
The paper laughs at you? Sounds like schizophrenia.
SimonJester308 wrote:Because if you cant hit that piece of paper 10 out of 10 times, every time, all the time, you might have a short day of days when you are needed most.
Sucks to be me.
I'm guarding the hooooouuuuuse.

Jamie
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: DOTD04, Special Dead, Shaun of the Dead, 28 ______ Later

Post by Jamie » Wed Apr 16, 2008 1:11 pm

yup, yup, nope, yup, yup, maybe, yup, huh?, :cry:
"I don't want to survive. I want to live. " - Captain B. McCrea

My Blog and website, dealing largely with my writing projects...I've published two novels, "Here Be Monsters" and "Caretakers", along with a pair of eBooks, "Mickey Slips" and "Bound for Home"...check them out!

Czechnology
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Czechnology » Wed Apr 16, 2008 1:15 pm

The Intro thread should be mandatory.
Nothing is ever what it seems, but everything is exactly what it is.
Vicarious_Lee wrote:If Nutnfacny were an 8-ounce chicken fried steak, he'd come with 72 ounces of batter around it that you have to slash through to get to it.

grand94jeep
Favorite Zombie Movies: All Zombie movies. Even the bad ones

Post by grand94jeep » Wed Apr 16, 2008 1:17 pm

Duh...that why I have a scope and do my push ups afterwards....gosh...are you trying to make me miss??? :roll:

Oh...and welcome to ZS...now go introduce yourself.
,=====o00o _
//___l__,\____\,__
l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
(o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.
~Ronald Reagan~

wildbill
Favorite Zombie Movies: dawn of the dead(remake)

Post by wildbill » Wed Apr 16, 2008 2:19 pm

I don't know if i can hit your note book paper at 100 yards, :twisted: but i can hit a pie plate at 300

AwPhuch

Post by AwPhuch » Wed Apr 16, 2008 2:32 pm

All day long at 100 yards!

Learn how to use a sling...and learn to control your breathing and you will be able to shoot just fine!
Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms - Should be a convenience store, not a Governmental entity
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." (Edmund Burke)

Kentucky J
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Kentucky J » Wed Apr 16, 2008 2:44 pm

Is this a timed event? I've qualified prone supported and prone unsupported and the 100s go down every time. Ironsights and red dot, BTW.

From the way you describe it, it sounds as though the 8.5x11 paper has the same silhouette as a man sized target at 300 yards. Not a whole lot of shame in that if you can't hit it after loads of physical activity, especially if you use the colored paper like you mention. I'm pretty half and half with 250 during timed qualification, and I just give myself an extra pat on the back for each 300 I make.

I'll take this exercise into consideration the next time I get some range time to myself. Of course by that time I'm going to have a considerably more powerful rifle, and pristine glass.

Nice first post, even if you didn't introduce yourself! At least in my opinion.

In case anyone is curious, my highest qual so far is 38. Working on improving it, eventually.

jamoni
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by jamoni » Wed Apr 16, 2008 3:11 pm

I've got a .22 that'll keep it in 1" at that range.
Last edited by jamoni on Wed Apr 16, 2008 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JoergS wrote:Realistically, I think I can launch a nine pound chain saw at 50 fps from a shoulder mounted rubber powered bazooka...
squinty wrote:I reserve the right to yell "Dookyhole!" - or it's Hebrew equivalent if such a thing exists - whilst dispensing a barrage of palm strikes at my opponent.

Abacus
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Abacus » Wed Apr 16, 2008 3:12 pm

I never thought of myself as good with a rifle, but I can certainly hit a 8.5 x 11 with irons at 100m all day long. My usual target with irons at that range is a sporting clay.
ImageImage

ClownRacer

Post by ClownRacer » Wed Apr 16, 2008 3:15 pm

who the hell can do 20 pushups :oops:

doctor_ocks

Post by doctor_ocks » Wed Apr 16, 2008 3:16 pm

Jvandenhaus wrote:I never thought of myself as good with a rifle, but I can certainly hit a 8.5 x 11 with irons at 100m all day long. My usual target with irons at that range is a sporting clay.
+1. I love doing this. I put up a handful of 4" clays on a berm and shoot standing with no sling support from 50-100 yards.

I appreciate what the OP is getting at. I don't consider myself a great shot with my AR. I'd like to get much better with it.
Jeriah wrote:Gimme one in .505 and a time machine so I can take a picture of myself putting my balls in a dead T rex's mouth.

doctor_ocks

Post by doctor_ocks » Wed Apr 16, 2008 3:16 pm

ClownRacer wrote:who the hell can do 20 pushups :oops:
LOL
Jeriah wrote:Gimme one in .505 and a time machine so I can take a picture of myself putting my balls in a dead T rex's mouth.

OhioMe

Post by OhioMe » Wed Apr 16, 2008 3:25 pm

Czechnology wrote:The Intro thread should be mandatory.
The intro thread (forum) should be dissolved. On every forum I belong to it is a waste of bandwith. "Hello from Poughkeepsie!" then 90 "Welcome" or "+1 replies.

On the other hand a thread /forum w/ a short quiz afterwards would keep 99% of the asshats out.
German Serial Killer Who Hacks Heads Off Rabbits Uses Google Earth to Find Victims
DavePAL84 wrote:If you guys bring an old t-shirt or two each it would also be beneficial (maybe something you don't mind being perforated with bullets and then thrown out?)
BeerandGuns wrote:.25 ACP. It took down Zombie Reaper and he's a bad a** motherf****r

Erik

Post by Erik » Wed Apr 16, 2008 3:26 pm

Me.

quazi

Post by quazi » Wed Apr 16, 2008 3:37 pm

Erik wrote:
Me.
Girl pushups don't count.

SweetTea
Favorite Zombie Movies: I kick it old school: NOtLD

Post by SweetTea » Wed Apr 16, 2008 4:10 pm

quazi wrote:
Erik wrote:
Me.
Girl pushups don't count.
pwnt
amd2800barton wrote:
LakotaJones wrote:Holy shit. I always thought Sweet Tea was a girl...
actually so did I. Didn't want to be the first one to say anything :P

Pondo_Sinatra

Post by Pondo_Sinatra » Wed Apr 16, 2008 4:29 pm

Erik wrote:
Me.
All in the same day? :wink:

Seriously, though, a sheet of notebook paper *shouldn't* be much of a challenge. Check out the Appleseed project. To become a "rifleman", you shoot be able to take a headshot at 250 yards, and a body shot at 500. Repeatedly. With iron sights.

And no, I'm NOT that good yet, but I'm still practicing.

One Of None
Location: Homebrewing.... Disguise your drinking problem as a hobby!

Re: Hows your accuracy?

Post by One Of None » Wed Apr 16, 2008 5:06 pm

SimonJester308 wrote:Want to make it interesting? Before you set up for your shot, knock out about 20 pushups. Get your heart rate up. No problem right?
You want to make it even more interesting? Break some flaming pottery in between your shots. And yell a lot.
Last edited by One Of None on Wed Apr 16, 2008 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.deadseasonmusic.com/music" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Click me, crank me, buy me.
Dead Season has bubble gum. But they're still here to kick ass.
Your ass.
squinty wrote:
Sometimes I like it rough, I like the way it kicks me. But I need to have as much in the tube as possible - I'm a big bore capacity whore - so three inchers just won't do it for me.

Festus Hagen

Post by Festus Hagen » Wed Apr 16, 2008 5:06 pm

Mr. Miyagi say "Notebook paper not shoot back"

Ok he didn't say that but...
“What do you say we gather the camp elders; Be perplexed amongst friends?” – Al Swearengen (Deadwood)

Abacus
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Abacus » Wed Apr 16, 2008 5:30 pm

I didn't mean to sound snooty.

I am not a good rifle shot, but I am trying to get better. Since I don't shoot with people or have any public ranges to shoot at, I have nothing to measure myself against, so clays was the target I chose. I assumed that everyone could do it.

I do often run before shooting to get the blood up, but mostly for pistols. with rifles I might just keep running and evade...or maybe not.

For you guys using glass, calm down, this test with scoped rifles at 100m isn't impressive. Listen to what the OP's message is here. It's test yourself, not bang off some easy target to prove how manly you are.

I heard someone mention the Appleseed, and I'm trying really hard not to start a fight, but have you ACTUALLY engaged a head-sized target at an ACTUAL 250 yards with irons and made the shot? If you have, my hat's off to you. I just ask because I know that Appleseed is fond of simulated ranges and equivalent targets.
ImageImage

doctor_ocks

Post by doctor_ocks » Wed Apr 16, 2008 6:04 pm

farblue wrote:Check out the Appleseed project. To become a "rifleman", you shoot be able to take a headshot at 250 yards, and a body shot at 500. Repeatedly. With iron sights.
My problem with the appleseed project is this
Appleseed Project Home Page wrote:What's a rifleman?
In short, a rifleman is an armed American, trained in the tradition of American Liberty. It's a man who has learned to shoot a rifle accurately — accurate enough to score "expert" on the Army Qualification Course. Until you can do that, you're considered a "Cook," unprepared and unqualified to carry a rifle on the firing line of freedom. But after attending an Appleseed AQT shoot, you'll have the credentials necessary to be a true rifleman, and will understand the critical need for defending freedom in this country.
That just seems silly and cheap.

Czechnology
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Czechnology » Wed Apr 16, 2008 6:20 pm

OhioMe wrote:
Czechnology wrote:The Intro thread should be mandatory.
The intro thread (forum) should be dissolved. On every forum I belong to it is a waste of bandwith. "Hello from Poughkeepsie!" then 90 "Welcome" or "+1 replies.

On the other hand a thread /forum w/ a short quiz afterwards would keep 99% of the asshats out.
So, I noticed you're right. Great idea.
Nothing is ever what it seems, but everything is exactly what it is.
Vicarious_Lee wrote:If Nutnfacny were an 8-ounce chicken fried steak, he'd come with 72 ounces of batter around it that you have to slash through to get to it.

TheLastRifleMan
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later

Post by TheLastRifleMan » Wed Apr 16, 2008 6:31 pm

I used to hold an NRA Sharpshooter ranking with an M-1 Garand.

At our last Michigan Members Shoot, I made a nice 2' group offhand at 90 yards, no sling, with the iron sights on my K-31 Swiss straight pull in 7.5x55 Swiss.

So I don't think I did too bad. This was after having my 91/30 Mosin Nagant beat my shoulder into some nice shades of color resembling a water melon rind.

I have also made shots over 200 yards on woodchucks with my scoped .223 varmint rifle, but that is almost cheating in a way.

"If ye break faith with those who died,
We shall not sleep..."

Return to “General Firearms Discussion”