Are you a Ammo brand name \/\/hore?

General discussions regarding topics that aren't covered in one of the other sub-forums. NO DISCUSSION OF POLITICS!

Moderators: ZS Global Moderators, ZS Postal Match Officers

User avatar
ZScott
* * * *
Posts: 957
Joined: Thu Aug 16, 2007 8:58 am
Location: Lincoln Nebraska

Post by ZScott » Tue Apr 15, 2008 1:23 pm

another member of the cheap house club here. 8)
Improvise, Adapt, Overcome.
Just Trying to Pass on some Wisdom.
Anyone who thinks any sort of PAW will be glamorous, fun, or exciting... has dramatic reality issues.

User avatar
Jamie
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 9345
Joined: Sun Dec 03, 2006 8:06 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: DOTD04, Special Dead, Shaun of the Dead, 28 ______ Later
Location: Adirondacks, NY
Contact:

Post by Jamie » Tue Apr 15, 2008 1:41 pm

I buy the cheap stuff for all of my firearms, and have only ever had 2 problems, a pair of aguila 22lr rounds that failed to fire...from the same box...

I would take 1000 cheap rounds over 150 rounds of the best ammo on earth any day...

nfa
"I don't want to survive. I want to live. " - Captain B. McCrea

Image
My Blog and website, dealing largely with my writing projects...I've published two novels, "Here Be Monsters" and "Caretakers", along with a pair of eBooks, "Mickey Slips" and "Bound for Home"...check them out!

User avatar
Zdigger
* * * * *
Posts: 2984
Joined: Thu Aug 23, 2007 10:17 pm
Location: Fort Hood (The Great Place), Texas (again)

Post by Zdigger » Tue Apr 15, 2008 1:42 pm

Image

They dont care who made it, why should we.
Last edited by Zdigger on Tue Apr 15, 2008 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
crypto
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Posts: 16637
Joined: Sun Oct 08, 2006 7:37 pm
Location: City of Saint Louis

Post by crypto » Tue Apr 15, 2008 1:43 pm

The way I see it, if your weapon will not reliably feed and digest any ammo available, you need a new weapon.

I have zero tolerance for finicky guns.
MF'N TEAM LEADER

"Some people think that the best way to stop the leopard is to cut the horns off the gazelle. This, my friends, is insane."

Image
Image

User avatar
Hoppy
* * * * *
Posts: 7901
Joined: Wed Sep 26, 2007 6:39 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: all of them. except Diary of The Dead.
Location: MA :(

Post by Hoppy » Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:05 pm

I want my weapons to be able to cycle the nastiest, out of spec fourth world crap I can find
im glad to see so many people taking this stance. i believe it too.

id rather have an in accurate noise maker, than a empty stick bat.
No one has a sense for the dramatic.

User avatar
jeremya
* * *
Posts: 545
Joined: Fri Feb 08, 2008 11:35 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead
Location: Austin, TX
Contact:

Post by jeremya » Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:39 pm

crypto wrote:The way I see it, if your weapon will not reliably feed and digest any ammo available, you need a new weapon.

I have zero tolerance for finicky guns.
+1

-- Jeremy
KE5TWG
zXzGrifterzXz wrote:Well my friends, I only have 2 balls and my balls deserve the best money can buy.
Image
"There is always one more thing you can do to increase your odds of success" -- Lt. Col. Hal Moore

User avatar
Obiwan
BANNED
Posts: 1629
Joined: Thu May 03, 2007 3:12 pm
Location: Colorado

Post by Obiwan » Tue Apr 15, 2008 3:43 pm

Every single manufacturer makes some bad rounds

Every single reloader makes some bad rounds

Some of those rounds find their way into weapons

Some of them cause really bad things to happen
"One is no more armed because he has possession of a firearm than he is a musician because he owns a piano. There is no point in having a gun if you are not capable of using it skillfully." (LtCOL. Jeff Cooper U.S.M.C.)

User avatar
FriedCheese
* * * *
Posts: 930
Joined: Sun Sep 02, 2007 11:31 pm
Location: Flatland near some 13k ft hills, USA.

Post by FriedCheese » Tue Apr 15, 2008 6:22 pm

Obiwan wrote:Every single manufacturer makes some bad rounds

Every single reloader makes some bad rounds

Some of those rounds find their way into weapons

Some of them cause really bad things to happen
Obiwan :) Always so PC :)
Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must.
Duke of Wellington

"Lucky is the man who has to never confront what he is truly capable of"
CSI


Got One?
,——'¯¯';=====±—-
!‚–’¯¯ƒ¹¶

User avatar
FriedCheese
* * * *
Posts: 930
Joined: Sun Sep 02, 2007 11:31 pm
Location: Flatland near some 13k ft hills, USA.

Post by FriedCheese » Tue Apr 15, 2008 7:17 pm

Just for all of you (if any of you) are freaking out cause someone said Wolf and S&B are not good enough for my 'picky' firearms. This was to get ALL feed back from you all - a topic of intrest. :)

So as I was having this same conversation at work... most of the guys / gals are cheap asses too :) jk kidding people.

They all did say they have NEVER had a bad failure (squib, etc).

There is nothing wrong with being a cheaper shooter person. I see the weapons I own as long term inverstments in my safety and value. The same way I see my trucks... I don't put cheap gas or oil in those either - after using my value things (weapons /trucks /ATV's /computers / house tools/ flash lights, etc ) are all treated like we need to keep them forever.

Do I baby them - no - I use them like most of you - what don't is what I would call 'abuse them'.

I do have 'beater' weapons. Like the AKs & SKS's.
I do use 'cheap ammo' because they deserve nothing better and I am not to worried as no one but me uses them - I'll take the risk.
I do clean, oil and make them look like newish after every trip to the range.

I agree 100% that you (me) need a reliable (eat anything) firearm - like the AK, SKS, Pump 12ga etc... I also enjoy a 'well made firearm' that is picky because someone half way trained made the weapon to Spec.

There are some GREAT AK's on the market and then there are some like mine. I hope to buy a few one day.

For those of you who I would say are lucky to NEVER have an issue with the cheapest ammo on the market - will you cut a lock of hair off and mail it to me (I have no hair left)....

Jvandenhaus - Traitor :D
Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must.
Duke of Wellington

"Lucky is the man who has to never confront what he is truly capable of"
CSI


Got One?
,——'¯¯';=====±—-
!‚–’¯¯ƒ¹¶

Beowolf1911
* * *
Posts: 658
Joined: Wed May 16, 2007 5:38 pm
Location: Backwoods Pennsylvania

Post by Beowolf1911 » Tue Apr 15, 2008 7:25 pm

FriedCheese wrote:I'll have to be honest and say I have not used .223 Sellier & Bellot ammo since I had that bad round. It freaked me out enough that I pulled the slug and dumped the powder on the rest of the box of Sellier & Bellot.

This was about 5 years ago. It would of been a bad bang if I was rapid shooting and I had a bullet still in my barrel stuck when the next round went off.

The ammo maybe better now... but my life or another life is not worth saving a buck or two.

Image: you saved 2 - 5 dollars on a box of "cheap" ammo - you get a bad round while your wife / daughter / son / mother is shooting the rifle and the gun explodes.
On the way to the hospital (possibly the best case getting a band aid) and saying "that 'cheap' ammo hasn't ever done that before. Maybe it was my $800 + dollar (non bargin bin AR) AR-15 fault........" right.

Sorry for the bad sarcism.... but saving a buck isn't worth the risk, IMHO.


You do realise about 1/4 of winchester and quite a bit of rem ammo if made by S&B right? I have had a gun in my hand just about every day since I was 7 and at different points I have shot just about every grade ammo from utter garbage to match and never had a single round from any manufacturer cause any type of danger. I also reload and get a lot more ammo for less money and never had a problem with that, I have defenatly seen more proof that reloading causes more damage to guns then cheap market ammo.
When a man says never or always he is usually wrong

User avatar
Hoppy
* * * * *
Posts: 7901
Joined: Wed Sep 26, 2007 6:39 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: all of them. except Diary of The Dead.
Location: MA :(

Post by Hoppy » Tue Apr 15, 2008 7:48 pm

There is nothing wrong with being a cheaper shooter person. I see the weapons I own as long term inverstments in my safety and value.
no one has yet to present anything more than anecdotal evidence that these "cheap" rounds will damage a properly made weapon.

explain to me HOW they diminish the value of your "investment"
No one has a sense for the dramatic.

Sol Invictus
*
Posts: 48
Joined: Sun Apr 13, 2008 10:02 am

Arrooooooooo!!!

Post by Sol Invictus » Tue Apr 15, 2008 8:01 pm

Hear the Wolf howl!! Yep, I do purchase ( in bulk when discounted ) the American made ( Federal usually ) .308, but my standby is Wolf. I've fed it through my Saiga with no issues. I also buy the Monarch steel cased stuff from Academy Sports & Outdoors and it fires fine as well.

The biggest message board complaints I've heard about Wolf are from AR or M1A shooters. As said, if your dog will only eat filet mignon, then get a new dog who'll eat what's put before it. I wouldn't keep a firearm that was ammo sensitive.

User avatar
FriedCheese
* * * *
Posts: 930
Joined: Sun Sep 02, 2007 11:31 pm
Location: Flatland near some 13k ft hills, USA.

Post by FriedCheese » Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:30 pm

Ammo - gone bad - USA made. :)

http://cbs4denver.com/seenon/ammunition ... 56518.html

Video
http://cbs4denver.com/video/?id=39085@kcnc.dayport.com

another AR - blowing up.

Only if they all had AK's with less then ideal specs Image


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7QTCZmble30

must be mullet reloads....
Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must.
Duke of Wellington

"Lucky is the man who has to never confront what he is truly capable of"
CSI


Got One?
,——'¯¯';=====±—-
!‚–’¯¯ƒ¹¶

User avatar
FriedCheese
* * * *
Posts: 930
Joined: Sun Sep 02, 2007 11:31 pm
Location: Flatland near some 13k ft hills, USA.

Post by FriedCheese » Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:32 pm

I must post this.

All of you are correct. Cheap Ammo is great. Free ammo is better.
Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must.
Duke of Wellington

"Lucky is the man who has to never confront what he is truly capable of"
CSI


Got One?
,——'¯¯';=====±—-
!‚–’¯¯ƒ¹¶

Beowolf1911
* * *
Posts: 658
Joined: Wed May 16, 2007 5:38 pm
Location: Backwoods Pennsylvania

Post by Beowolf1911 » Wed Apr 16, 2008 6:04 pm

FriedCheese wrote:Ammo - gone bad - USA made. :)

http://cbs4denver.com/seenon/ammunition ... 56518.html

Video
http://cbs4denver.com/video/?id=39085@kcnc.dayport.com

another AR - blowing up.

Only if they all had AK's with less then ideal specs Image

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7QTCZmble30

must be mullet reloads....

The articles clearly say this was reloaded ammo not factory loads. so where is the danger in cheap ammo such as wolf?
When a man says never or always he is usually wrong

User avatar
Hoppy
* * * * *
Posts: 7901
Joined: Wed Sep 26, 2007 6:39 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: all of them. except Diary of The Dead.
Location: MA :(

Post by Hoppy » Wed Apr 16, 2008 8:29 pm

Only if they all had AK's with less then ideal specs
well the problem is you think that an AK's specs would cause a bigger problem. where in reality the AK is designed to work with out of spec ammo.


again. a rifle that eats anything is better than a rifle thats picky. my AK will eat Chinese surplus, Russian steel Wolf, US commercial Brass. ammo thats been sitting in warehouses for years, out of magazines that have been beaten, abused. and repainted countless times. i use my magazines to open beer bottles.

if you pick up a chinese AK and load american ammo, it will run. pick up a Russian AK and load finish ammo. it will run. pick up a romanian AK and load german/yugo/ Korean who ever, ammo. IT WILL RUN!
No one has a sense for the dramatic.

User avatar
FriedCheese
* * * *
Posts: 930
Joined: Sun Sep 02, 2007 11:31 pm
Location: Flatland near some 13k ft hills, USA.

Post by FriedCheese » Wed Apr 16, 2008 9:53 pm

Hoppy wrote:
Only if they all had AK's with less then ideal specs
well the problem is you think that an AK's specs would cause a bigger problem. where in reality the AK is designed to work with out of spec ammo.


again. a rifle that eats anything is better than a rifle thats picky. my AK will eat Chinese surplus, Russian steel Wolf, US commercial Brass. ammo thats been sitting in warehouses for years, out of magazines that have been beaten, abused. and repainted countless times. i use my magazines to open beer bottles.

if you pick up a chinese AK and load american ammo, it will run. pick up a Russian AK and load finish ammo. it will run. pick up a romanian AK and load german/yugo/ Korean who ever, ammo. IT WILL RUN!
LOL Hoppy you crack me up. That was the point in my "less then Ideal specs" comment. I KNOW - that is why I own many a rifle which eats SHITTY OUT OF SPEC AMMO!

:)
Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must.
Duke of Wellington

"Lucky is the man who has to never confront what he is truly capable of"
CSI


Got One?
,——'¯¯';=====±—-
!‚–’¯¯ƒ¹¶

User avatar
Hoppy
* * * * *
Posts: 7901
Joined: Wed Sep 26, 2007 6:39 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: all of them. except Diary of The Dead.
Location: MA :(

Post by Hoppy » Thu Apr 17, 2008 3:46 pm

FriedCheese wrote:
Hoppy wrote:
Only if they all had AK's with less then ideal specs
well the problem is you think that an AK's specs would cause a bigger problem. where in reality the AK is designed to work with out of spec ammo.


again. a rifle that eats anything is better than a rifle thats picky. my AK will eat Chinese surplus, Russian steel Wolf, US commercial Brass. ammo thats been sitting in warehouses for years, out of magazines that have been beaten, abused. and repainted countless times. i use my magazines to open beer bottles.

if you pick up a chinese AK and load american ammo, it will run. pick up a Russian AK and load finish ammo. it will run. pick up a romanian AK and load german/yugo/ Korean who ever, ammo. IT WILL RUN!
LOL Hoppy you crack me up. That was the point in my "less then Ideal specs" comment. I KNOW - that is why I own many a rifle which eats SHITTY OUT OF SPEC AMMO!

:)
sorry, i miss internet irony and sarcasm a lot. i tend to speed read things and miss subtle clues. i see so many people saying that an ak having larger clearances as a bad thing.
No one has a sense for the dramatic.

User avatar
FriedCheese
* * * *
Posts: 930
Joined: Sun Sep 02, 2007 11:31 pm
Location: Flatland near some 13k ft hills, USA.

Post by FriedCheese » Thu Apr 17, 2008 11:26 pm

Hoppy wrote:
FriedCheese wrote:
Hoppy wrote:
Only if they all had AK's with less then ideal specs
well the problem is you think that an AK's specs would cause a bigger problem. where in reality the AK is designed to work with out of spec ammo.


again. a rifle that eats anything is better than a rifle thats picky. my AK will eat Chinese surplus, Russian steel Wolf, US commercial Brass. ammo thats been sitting in warehouses for years, out of magazines that have been beaten, abused. and repainted countless times. i use my magazines to open beer bottles.

if you pick up a chinese AK and load american ammo, it will run. pick up a Russian AK and load finish ammo. it will run. pick up a romanian AK and load german/yugo/ Korean who ever, ammo. IT WILL RUN!
LOL Hoppy you crack me up. That was the point in my "less then Ideal specs" comment. I KNOW - that is why I own many a rifle which eats SHITTY OUT OF SPEC AMMO!

:)
sorry, i miss internet irony and sarcasm a lot. i tend to speed read things and miss subtle clues. i see so many people saying that an ak having larger clearances as a bad thing.
No sorry need my friend. I'm the one who tried to see how hot the fire would get with a little poke with a oil covered stick. :)
Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must.
Duke of Wellington

"Lucky is the man who has to never confront what he is truly capable of"
CSI


Got One?
,——'¯¯';=====±—-
!‚–’¯¯ƒ¹¶

User avatar
Obiwan
BANNED
Posts: 1629
Joined: Thu May 03, 2007 3:12 pm
Location: Colorado

Post by Obiwan » Fri Apr 18, 2008 9:11 am

I don't like finicky weapons

But there is ammo out there that is crappy enough to cause any pistol/rifle/revolver to choke

Or maybe blow up :shock:

I once had some reloads that were so wimpy they went through the target sideways.....I would say that those rounds were a little too cheap :roll:
"One is no more armed because he has possession of a firearm than he is a musician because he owns a piano. There is no point in having a gun if you are not capable of using it skillfully." (LtCOL. Jeff Cooper U.S.M.C.)

Post Reply

Return to “General Firearms Discussion”