Glock owners: Negatives?

General discussions regarding topics that aren't covered in one of the other sub-forums. NO DISCUSSION OF POLITICS!

Moderators: ZS Global Moderators, ZS Postal Match Officers

mr.trooper

Re: Glock owners: Negatives?

Post by mr.trooper » Fri Apr 11, 2008 3:54 pm

phixion wrote:What are your perceived negatives of Glock pistols? Based on what I have read, my only concern MAY be grip angle. I have yet to hold one myself so I reserve that judgment.

I only have one gun (Springfield XD9 SC) which I love but I want a Glock. Why, I don't know really but I do. After completing the "three gun" (Pistol, Shotgun, Rifle), I may take the plunge and get either a G17 or G19 (haven't decided). Not for carry per se but if I were to one ONE Glock, which should it be?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks in advance
I suggest that you stop "reading" about guns and go to a gun shop. There you can hold any gun you wish for yourself. Important aspects like weight, size, texture, ergonomics, and sight picture are lacking from written accounts.

i can say "I own a Glock and i LOVE it!" all day long, but that doesn't tell you the things you need to know to make an informed decision.

i used to sped lots of time on manufacturers pages, but the stats they give you are basically meaningless. you need to experience a gun in person.
Alcoholic Fudd

YouTube Channel

Jhangles

Post by Jhangles » Fri Apr 11, 2008 5:37 pm

I absolutely love my Glock 19. I can carry it pretty comfortably in a SmartCarry holster. Though not as comfortable as my P3AT or course.

I need to work on my trigger control a bit though. I tend to shoot a little low and to the left. I'll probably be practicing that tomorrow though!

-Beau

Bear_B

Post by Bear_B » Fri Apr 11, 2008 11:41 pm

I have been a Glock owner/shooter for the last 10+ years... closer to 15 I think. Ive shot them recreationally, and in competative matches... I've shot them with all types of ammo, defensive and FMJ, and brands ranging from WOLF to Cor-Bon. I have shot them wet, dry, dirty, clean, and even did a "torture test" on one of my G19s a while back.

I've had them "customized" and I've had them bone stock.

I have had and now have Glocks in a variety of calibers from 9mm, .40, .45, and 10mm. I've never had the first problem with ANY of them.

The G23 is a hell of a good defensive arm as Doc as pointed out. The G19 is identical to it with the exception of it being a 9mm of course.

You'd be hard pressed to find a better defensive firearm for the money than a Glock.

There are other options out there that are very fine pistols indeed, but If I had to, for whatever reason, pick only one firearm to own and ccarry for the rest of my days, it'd be a Glock.

Last edited by Bear_B on Fri Apr 11, 2008 11:57 pm, edited 3 times in total.

wildbill
Favorite Zombie Movies: dawn of the dead(remake)

Post by wildbill » Fri Apr 11, 2008 11:45 pm

me too,glock all the way

gothamalleyviper

Post by gothamalleyviper » Sat Apr 12, 2008 12:40 am

mr. right-wing wrote:I had a .40 blow up on me :shock: But that is just me, they wouldnt be good guns if everybody didnt like them
You too? had a .40 get a critical fail on me, brand new, 4th mag.

Glocks, you either love them or hate them, they do not feel right to me so I am not a fan
Y.T. wrote:and it's less like a cop who feels she's above the law and more like a cop who doesn't feel the need to flash her badge everywhere or starch her panties. ;)
2 seconds to outwhit the Joker, so I pants him. He just let me go!
Y.T. wrote:I found camo print cloth menstrual pads the other day. I wouldn't be surprised if someone had made a camo dildo.

zombie_mike

Post by zombie_mike » Sat Apr 12, 2008 12:44 am

hmmmm....negatives?

My plastic mag catch just wore out...after about 10K rounds.

Other than that it's running fine.
June 26th, 2008---The Day Gun Prohibition Died!
crypto wrote:
rodka wrote: It feels like an orgasm in the hand
So, uh, do you mean it's all sticky, or what?
I prefer pistols that dont feel like they're jizzing on me, thanks.

Packin' Heat

Post by Packin' Heat » Sat Apr 12, 2008 1:08 am

Love my 23. If I HAD to pick something, I'd say that they aren't as ergonomic as todays swoopy-shaped modular dealies. But I love the lack of controls. you read right. I hate all kinds of buttons, levers and switches sticking out and getting in the way. The way something "looks" doesnt really have a place in the firearm world. Do you pick one brand of screwdriver or shovel over another SOLELY on how it looks? I'd guess no. These are tools for a specific job.
Glock 23: Check
Mossberg 590A1 12ga: Check
VEPR AK 7.62x39: Check
Saiga 12: 12g check

dymaxium

Post by dymaxium » Sat Apr 12, 2008 5:18 am

Trigger sucks and ergonomics are a little off for some people (mag release placement, even on full-size middle finger jammed against trigger guard). For myself, neither of these are issues for me being this is a defensive firearm and it works damn well for that purpose. (Ever felt the trigger on an AK? Horrible, but the gun works like a champ as a defensive firearm)

Hell, I've seen more police with Glocks than any other handgun brand. These things just work and it takes a lot to make them hiccup. However, if you're looking for a super-duper target pistol with a 2 lb super smooth and crisp trigger pull, I'd recommend a 1911 or some other gun with a single action trigger.

I highly recommend the G26 for carry, and any of the full size or compacts for non-concealed carry or other defensive needs, with the exception of the 45 ACP models (they're too damn big for the average hand).

wildbill

Post by wildbill » Sat Apr 12, 2008 11:14 am

SMoAF wrote:
mr. right-wing wrote:I had a .40 blow up on me :shock: But that is just me, they wouldnt be good guns if everybody didnt like them
Were you, by any chance, shooting reloads when it happened?
no pistol is safe from crappy reloads

here is a hk and a glock

http://www.thegunzone.com/ and many more kb here

arc

Post by arc » Sat Apr 12, 2008 12:33 pm

- Wonky trigger. You can modify it, but it'll never be fundamentally different.
- Sights are horrible.
- Finger grooves on grip do not separate the fingers but rather they protrude into the middle of user's fingers.
- Ergonomics of a 2x4.

Some people will decry lack of safeties or the fact you have to pull the trigger to disassemble it. I just don't agree with those people at all and don't think those objections are good ones.

The first item can be alleviated somewhat with a 3.5# disconnecter but the trigger still feels "wonky", just lighter. As I said, you can change it, but it will always be a Glock trigger. This mod is useless to me personally in the arena of using the Glock as a service weapon although it's fair to mention if you want to do some comp shooting it's not that big a deal to get two disconnecters and swap them.

The second item is easily fixed. A Glock armorer was able to hook me up with Trijicon aftermarket sights for around $100ish.

The third and fourth item, well you can either:

1. Do what I did and get a 2nd generation frame. It greatly alleviates most of the complaints about the ergonomics I have.

2. Do something more radical like have the grip reduced or otherwise customized, or get an aftermarket frame. I personally find this option to be too much money that I shouldn't have to spend.

I own exactly one 2nd gen G19. It's really grown on me. It's not exciting or sexy but it's definitely a keeper.

wildbill

Post by wildbill » Sat Apr 12, 2008 1:15 pm

the grip can also be fixed as seen here

http://www.gripreductions.com/

dascoyne

Post by dascoyne » Sun Apr 13, 2008 10:44 am

I've got a G-23 and a G21SF.

Please don't make me choose between them.

REB 27

Post by REB 27 » Mon Apr 14, 2008 11:16 am

I have a newer, (3rd Gen?) G-22 with the finger grooves. I like the grooves better than the older grips. I bought my first Glock in 1989,
a G-17, and the G-22 is my favorite of the five that I've had since.
The only complaint that I can think of for GLOCKs is that they aren't
supposed to be shot with lead bullets. Get one, of any caliber. You'll
like it, if not love it.
F***, I hate clowns!

Chevron seven, locked!

gothamalleyviper

Post by gothamalleyviper » Mon Apr 14, 2008 1:48 pm

has anyone had the slide go too far forward?
and th ammo used was Federal .40SW JHP factory ammo.
Y.T. wrote:and it's less like a cop who feels she's above the law and more like a cop who doesn't feel the need to flash her badge everywhere or starch her panties. ;)
2 seconds to outwhit the Joker, so I pants him. He just let me go!
Y.T. wrote:I found camo print cloth menstrual pads the other day. I wouldn't be surprised if someone had made a camo dildo.

docsven

Post by docsven » Mon Apr 14, 2008 5:24 pm

Negative point of the Glock : Once you buy one, you're going to want another one !

Medicguy
Smoking is a filthy habit. I pick my NOSE...but only in the FINEST of RESTAURANTS !

GoSlash27

Post by GoSlash27 » Tue Apr 15, 2008 6:38 pm

Not lefty friendly worth a darn. I'm personally not a fan of most poly pistols ( too flippy and my knuckles get ouchies). Grip angle sucks.
A few isolated cases of it firing out of battery. Doesn't like reloads. Doesn't like unjacketed bullets.

The Glock is strictly utilitarian and that has it's own special appeal. I don't talk smack about it, just not for me personally. If you check one out and it agrees with you, you can't go far wrong.

Incidentally, the images above were a case of "Glock Kaboom", where the early .40s were rupturing cases due to insufficient chamber support. This problem has long been remedied, so not something to be concerned about unless you happen to be looking at a very early .40.
R.A.S.P!
.. ... . . .,, .... ., , ,.,, ,,, .., ,.. .. ,.. , .... . .,. . ,,..,, ,.,. .,. ,.,, .,,. , ,,, .,.,.,

suntzu

Post by suntzu » Tue Apr 15, 2008 7:25 pm

I have a 21SF, still wet behind the ears with 800 rounds through it. It fits my hands perfectly. I have changed out the sights, and plan on adding extended mag release and slide release. I also plan on buying another 21SF as well as a 19.

kir

Post by kir » Tue Apr 15, 2008 7:51 pm

I have a G19 (9mm) at home that I've never had a problem with. I was issued a G21 (.45) while I was still in LE. It was an old gun (the serial number was in the B-series) and had gone through a lot of abuse. During training I had it critically malfunction three times. Not as in a type I, II or III malfunction but as in, internal parts broke and I had to take it to the department's gunsmith to get pieces replaced. That sucked a lot, but I wrote it off to being poorly maintained by the previous officer who had carried it.

Absit

Post by Absit » Wed Apr 16, 2008 5:00 am

Grip angle is only an issue if you refuse to learn to shoot your gun.
Nemo vir est qui mundum non reddat meliorem.

That German Guy

Post by That German Guy » Wed Apr 16, 2008 7:04 am

gothamalleyviper wrote:has anyone had the slide go too far forward?
and th ammo used was Federal .40SW JHP factory ammo.
I had a slide fly about three yards downrange, but that was on a P8 (Army issue USP with conventional barrel). Turns out that there was a little bubble of air in the slide pin/slide stop. Ammo was Army issue 9mm, a fairly hard load.

As for Glock brand guns: I generally like them, my only gripe comes from the trigger: That safety tab thing just feels wrong.
wildbill wrote:
SMoAF wrote:
Were you, by any chance, shooting reloads when it happened?
no pistol is safe from crappy reloads

here is a hk and a glock

I've got ten bucks here saying that gun never ate a single handmade round. It's a P8 :) But yeah, sometimes you get shitty ammo, and sometimes that shitty ammo ruptures, and sometimes that rupture is in a part of the case not supported by either chamber or bolt face. In that case, this sort of thing is pretty much the worst that can happen.
SMoAF wrote:We all ended up moving in together at one point, and I paid our rent in guns.
Vicarious_Lee wrote:No one on ZS worth their membership would be in a frozen forest, alone, without being loaded out like they've got Les Fucking Stroud himself in their enormous and ergonomic backpack.

Obiwan
BANNED

Post by Obiwan » Wed Apr 16, 2008 7:21 am

GoSlash27 wrote:Not lefty friendly worth a darn..
Really????

I am right handed and I shoot mine just fine with my left :?

Maybe I really am gifted :shock:

Absolutely nothing wrong with them...except the stock sites (they suck)

They are simple, accurate and reliable...they go bang when they are supposed to

Everything else is subjective at best.....inlcuding my opinion of the sites :wink:

Not everyone will like them...and that does not matter

I have other pistols I like better...but glocks are fine weapons
"One is no more armed because he has possession of a firearm than he is a musician because he owns a piano. There is no point in having a gun if you are not capable of using it skillfully." (LtCOL. Jeff Cooper U.S.M.C.)

phil_in_cs
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by phil_in_cs » Wed Apr 16, 2008 7:37 am

I know two people who've told me they had a frame crack on a G34 after about 25k rounds. Glock replaced the frame in both cases. Supposedly only a G34 issue, due to the increased length and weight reduction for the competition model.

There aren't a whole lot of pistols that can shoot 25k rounds without having major issues.
Don't confuse a belligerent and aggressive attitude with the strength, training, and conditioning needed to prevail in a fight. How do you know you have the Will To Win, if you don't even have the will to train?

wildbill

Post by wildbill » Wed Apr 16, 2008 8:06 am

docsven wrote:Negative point of the Glock : Once you buy one, you're going to want another one !

Medicguy
+4

evilpsych

Post by evilpsych » Wed Apr 16, 2008 8:23 am

I have a G21 and a G30. The G21 was sent in for factory service a long long time ago and was upgraded by glock to the newer ergo grip. It's a fairly older unit, think it was made in the early 90's. I've owned one for 7 years, the other for 5. No FTF's at all.

I got both second hand, and both have performed flawlessly.
Both have aftermarket sights - trijicon's on the 21, 'trudot' on the 30. I upgraded both with the extended slide release, the wider takedown release, and the upgraded mag release. Both guns functioned fine before, was just a personal choice (i've got big fingers and hands)

Complaints?
Only one. The plastic guide-rod on both. The G30 needs a replacement soon - like in 1000 rounds. Last weak link in terms of making it a fairly no-maintenance gun.
Well, two, my G30 doesn't have an accessory rail, but then again, I don't have any accessories. :P

Compliments?
No Rust. At all. Congratulations to the Tenifer Process and Glock's choice of alloy.
little to no maintenance required.. well.. the occasional drop of oil. clean the barrel every couple-hundred rounds.. if you want.. or not.
I actually store mine in the compost heap over winter, when spring comes.. i dig it up, shake it out, and shoot it. j/k, but they are that reliable.
Detail stripping is a dream as there's only like.. what, 4 moving parts in the whole gun..

Recommendations?

Don't shoot out-of-spec reloads, steel-case(early wolf caused problems supposedly, i still don't trust it, i wish i could.. ), or lead bullets (with the factory barrel) - it's not finicky, just I don't recommend shooting anything weird with any gun... P+P+, P++ etc., all bother me in any gun not specifically designed for it, and the Glock is no exception. If you want a gun that will eat just about any thing you throw at it reliably, with a low low chance of KB, get a ruger redhawk in .44mag. Only gun so far I've seen that will eat just about every commonly available and reloaded round in the caliber (S&W and Colt can't say it). Say that about any semi-auto. KB's exist in every manufacturer's lineup.

If you have small hands, look at the 9mm or slimline models.. the full size ones will be a bit too big for you. My favorite 9mm in the glock line is the G34. It's probably the only 9mm I would ever buy, and i detest 9mm.

If you want to shoot specialty ammo, or alternative calibers, get an aftermarket barrel with standard rifling. You can upgrade/downgrade the G21/G30 series to .400 Cor-Bon, .460 Rowland, and one or two others.

Other Handguns I have owned:

Walther PPK/S .380 *traded away*
Ruger 22/45 MkIII w/ bull barrel - *love it*
AP-9 9mm 'thug-gun' sold it. Jammatic POS
Ruger Redhawk .44mag Love it. Needs a sharp edge smoothed on the trigger tho.
Taurus PT-22 Wife's gun Nice little thing,
Several Colt Pythons in .357mag - sold/traded away.
Several 1911's over the years all either sold traded away. Nothing special about them.

If i had to pick a favorite, I love the G30. As/More Accurate than the G21 IMHO, easier to CCW (it's still a thick gun)

I think the grip angle thing is a minor detail that is something that folks that have trained and learned to shoot with other weapons need to learn about or change their shooting stance. If your hands are too small, that's one thing, but saying that a particular grip angle is worse than another is a non-sequitur, and you really should learn to shoot that gun. I personally feel that the grip angle is such as it is on a glock because the frame is a polymer frame, and the grip angle adjusts ever so slightly for the reduction in mass of the frame to translate to better stance when shooting the gun. My redhawk requires an even different grip stance, and even a 1/4" difference in the positioning of the meat of your palm correlates to big differences in accuracy.

Course, I may be talking completely out of my ass. You be the judge. I've only shot... maybe 40k rounds through the glocks, and a combined 200k rounds with my entire collection.
At least I'm not boring..

Return to “General Firearms Discussion”