Glock owners: Negatives?

General discussions regarding topics that aren't covered in one of the other sub-forums. NO DISCUSSION OF POLITICS!

Moderators: ZS Global Moderators, ZS Postal Match Officers

phixion

Glock owners: Negatives?

Post by phixion » Thu Apr 10, 2008 10:47 pm

What are your perceived negatives of Glock pistols? Based on what I have read, my only concern MAY be grip angle. I have yet to hold one myself so I reserve that judgment.

I only have one gun (Springfield XD9 SC) which I love but I want a Glock. Why, I don't know really but I do. After completing the "three gun" (Pistol, Shotgun, Rifle), I may take the plunge and get either a G17 or G19 (haven't decided). Not for carry per se but if I were to one ONE Glock, which should it be?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks in advance

jeepinbandtrider

Post by jeepinbandtrider » Thu Apr 10, 2008 10:48 pm

Welcome to Zombie Squad from a fellow XDTALKER :wink:

phixion

Post by phixion » Thu Apr 10, 2008 10:50 pm

Ha, I recognize the name. I've been looking at this site for a week or so now and decided to register.

jeepinbandtrider

Post by jeepinbandtrider » Thu Apr 10, 2008 10:54 pm

Lots o good info here if you are willing to listen.

SMoAF
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by SMoAF » Thu Apr 10, 2008 11:05 pm

It'll depend on the individual. Some people hate the looks (you'll sometimes hear them referred to as "Blocks"), some hate the polymer (que "Tactical Tupperware" comment here), some people deride the lack of a manual safety switch, and some just hate them because they're too poor to be able to afford them (que the "My Hi-Point is better than any steenking Glock!" comments).

Personally, I like them. The only real criticism I have for them is that they are prone to jam if "limp-wristed", and if fired without a magazine in the gun. Well, OK, one other gripe...I prefer the old ones, because the "rails" for mounting lights, et cetera, in front of the trigger guard are just goofy. More importantly, it strikes me that they present a potential snagging problem if carried in a pocket.

The best feature, in my book, is that they are "instinctive" shooters. Give somebody who has never handled a gun before one, explain how the sights work, and point them at a target, and at close range, and they'll do OK.

As for which ones to get? Find a range that rents them, and try them both. Personally, I like the 19s, and own several. Of course, I keep lending them to undergunned friends, so while I own a bunch of them, I only have one in my possession, and my wife keeps wanting it back.
"Betrayed by the land that bore us; Forlorn by those we hold dear.
The Good have all gone before us, and only the Wicked are here.
So stand to, your glasses ready, for the world is a world full of lies.
Here's to those gone before us, and here's to the next man who dies."

MS8725

Post by MS8725 » Thu Apr 10, 2008 11:21 pm

Negatives, huh? I go through ammo far too fast! Hows that? :D
“The weight of this sad time we must obey;
Speak what we feel, not what we ought to say."-Edgar, King Lear

Master Shake

Post by Master Shake » Fri Apr 11, 2008 8:20 am

Ive noticed that Glocks have more recoil than a lot of other guns. My G19 has more recoil than my friends Ruger 9mm and just as much as his 1911. Nothing other than that though...
SRA, Expert Marksman (50 out of 50), USAF

doc66

Post by doc66 » Fri Apr 11, 2008 8:35 am

None what so ever. None of my myraid of Glocks have ever had problems. If I were buying one?

The G23.
http://www.milcopptactical.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

turan8

Post by turan8 » Fri Apr 11, 2008 8:45 am

I think Glocks are awesome pistols but for me there are 3 areas which are problematic for me--but they are all relatively cosmetic

1) The magazine release is too small
2) The slide release is too small
3) The grip is not ergonomic
Local AK expert at your beck and call for all PAW consulting services pertaining to Mr. Kalishinakov's marvelous creation.

Jaxon06
Favorite Zombie Movies: Any of the "Dead" series.

Post by Jaxon06 » Fri Apr 11, 2008 8:48 am

I carry a G27 everyday. I shoot IDPA with it (since its my carry gun). As in any other firearm, frequent practice allows you to overcome any initial negative reaction (for most people).

Is it the "perfect" gun? No, but then that doesn't exist. For now, it works best for me and my current physical condition and carry practice.

:D
RJ
ZSC:022
"Last wish? I wish.. you had.. more time. " John Creasy

crypto
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by crypto » Fri Apr 11, 2008 8:59 am

My only complaint about Glocks is the lack of ambidextrous controls. Other than that my G19 is my favorite pistol.

ETA: I take that back, my other complaint is the barbaric manner that you have to employ to disassemble the plastic magazines

(You jam a stick through a hole in the floorplate and just torque the hell out of it in one direction until it pops loose)
MF'N TEAM LEADER

"Some people think that the best way to stop the leopard is to cut the horns off the gazelle. This, my friends, is insane."

Civilian Scout

Post by Civilian Scout » Fri Apr 11, 2008 9:23 am

One Glock?

The 17 or the 19. Handle both, and get whichever fits your hand better.
"Now, let us gather our strength from the violence of the elements!" - Captain Terror

doc66

Post by doc66 » Fri Apr 11, 2008 9:27 am

turan8 wrote:I think Glocks are awesome pistols but for me there are 3 areas which are problematic for me--but they are all relatively cosmetic

1) The mag release can be changed out with one from a G20/21
2) The aftermarket has taken care of that probelm, I don't use it anyway, really.
3) The grip can be change for another $100. Your going to spend that much anyway with other pistols to make them yours.

Dave_M
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Dave_M » Fri Apr 11, 2008 9:57 am

doc66 wrote:
turan8 wrote:I think Glocks are awesome pistols but for me there are 3 areas which are problematic for me--but they are all relatively cosmetic

2) The aftermarket has taken care of that probelm, I don't use it anyway, really.
3) The grip can be change for another $100. Your going to spend that much anyway with other pistols to make them yours.
Not to mention that it never was designed as a slide release anyway, it's supposed to be a slide stop.
Dave Merrill
Instructor for MilCopp Tactical LLC.

Rifle first. Rifle last. Rifle always.
Civilian Scout wrote:No one buys a Taurus because it's the best option available.

doc66

Post by doc66 » Fri Apr 11, 2008 10:08 am

DavePAL84 wrote:
doc66 wrote:

Not to mention that it never was designed as a slide release anyway, it's supposed to be a slide stop.
Yeah, well... I didn't want to get into that one. Most people give you a blank look when you try to explain that to them.

I'm glad you're on my side, Dave.

IllTemperedCur

Post by IllTemperedCur » Fri Apr 11, 2008 10:40 am

Haven't owned a Glock since around 91-92 (1st gen G17), but I had the same safety/blockyness/ugliness/grip angle complaints. I don't have any current plans on purchasing another, but one should never say never. :)

But if I was forced to pick a single sidearm for the ZPAW with $ as no object, no question it would be a G17. It doesn't move me emotionally the way a nice 1911 or BHP does, but there's so much that's practical, reliable and just plain RIGHT about it for serious use.
"Are you bringing in any weapons?"
"Of course not!"
"You're not changing anything."

MrUgly

Post by MrUgly » Fri Apr 11, 2008 10:51 am

I have a G30 and it's a fine shooting gun, but inserting the magazine is royal pain. I shouldn't have to muscle it in. I understand that is a function of the spring and it helps to prevent FTF problems, but it just annoys me.
Peace is the the first choice of a wise man; superior firepower a close second. ~ Me

mr. right-wing

Post by mr. right-wing » Fri Apr 11, 2008 10:57 am

I had a .40 blow up on me :shock: But that is just me, they wouldnt be good guns if everybody didnt like them
R.I.P HK33K

Cymro
Location: Fayetteville Refugee currently bunkered in Wilmington, NC, USA

Post by Cymro » Fri Apr 11, 2008 11:00 am

I don't particularly like the ergonomics or the trigger, but they're fine pistols.

As with most things in the firearms realm, it's all in how your taste run.
"Young men, beware of murder. It may lead to theft and, from there, to telling lies."
Alphonse Allais

Standing invite to all ZSers: If you're ever down Carolina way, the first round's on me.

Pondo_Sinatra

Post by Pondo_Sinatra » Fri Apr 11, 2008 11:23 am

The first one I ever got to shoot was a friend's G17 that I was "babysitting" for him, back in the early 90's. At first glance, I didn't think that I would like it, but after taking it out to the range, I found that I really enjoyed shooting it, and the funky-looking ergonomics worked well for me.

I didn't actually buy my own until years later, I picked up a used G22 a few years ago, and I love it. I would like a bigger mag release (I'll fix that myself soon), but I like the way it shoots and feels in my hand. My wife liked my G22 so much, she finally bought her own Glock, a G27.

It's not a perfect gun, but after four years and dozens of trips to the range, it still performs flawlessly, and I've fed it everything from el-cheapo reloads to high-dollar hollowpoints, and it eats them all without complaint. That's pretty much all I can ask from a handgun.

Trebor

Post by Trebor » Fri Apr 11, 2008 12:46 pm

The drawbacks are the ergonomics and the spongy trigger. The factory plastic sights also are easy to break.

Try both the 17 and 19. They are just different enough that one will probably fit your hand better then the other. Odds are it will be the 19.
----
R.I.P HK33K - Gone, but not forgetten.

ArmyOfDarkness

Post by ArmyOfDarkness » Fri Apr 11, 2008 2:23 pm

The factory trigger and factory sights. But those can be changed easily. :P
"Some people were meant to be 911, others were meant to call 911" Ilerio P.

Doctor_Zombie
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Doctor_Zombie » Fri Apr 11, 2008 2:24 pm

I'm a Glock fan.

Only negatives I have for mine are:

a)It took some adjusting on my part to change my finger position to prevent the typical low and to the left problem some Glock shooters (myself included) seem to have, and...

b)The active safety gives me a little blister if I shoot too many rounds through it. I know it's an easy fix, I've just been too lazy and haven't cared enough to buy the (admittedly cheap) part and fix it.

Other than that - Glocks are a great gun. I especially like the fact that, if I need to draw it in a CCW situation, I know that it will go bang - no matter what. No fumbling for a safety lever, no matter what.
Doctor_Zombie was formerly Doctor Z.! I fracking changed it.

BUY MY BOOKS! NOW AVAILABLE ON KINDLE!
Read my blog!!
GunDown wrote: BRUCE CAMPBELL IS A GOD.... HE IS THE ONE TRUE LORD OF FILM. HIS HOLY TRINITY RULES ABOVE US ALL! AS RAMI STANDS TO HIS RIGHT AND ROMERO TO HIS LEFT HIS WILL IS INFORCED BY THE ANGEL OF VENGENCE KEVIN MOTHERFUCKING SMITH!

SMoAF
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by SMoAF » Fri Apr 11, 2008 3:47 pm

mr. right-wing wrote:I had a .40 blow up on me :shock: But that is just me, they wouldnt be good guns if everybody didnt like them
Were you, by any chance, shooting reloads when it happened?
"Betrayed by the land that bore us; Forlorn by those we hold dear.
The Good have all gone before us, and only the Wicked are here.
So stand to, your glasses ready, for the world is a world full of lies.
Here's to those gone before us, and here's to the next man who dies."

Return to “General Firearms Discussion”