Handguns in the UK?

General discussions regarding topics that aren't covered in one of the other sub-forums. NO DISCUSSION OF POLITICS!

Moderators: ZS Global Moderators, ZS Postal Match Officers

Drake122

Handguns in the UK?

Post by Drake122 » Sun Mar 16, 2008 9:05 am

I want to know if it's possible, to own a Handgun under a FAC?

My most common and probably only reason for buying a Handgun was for Target shooting purposes and competitions. However I knew that someone owned a Revolver for pest extermination at close range so I knew that getting at least some kind of pistol was possible.

But I want to hear this from other people to see how successful getting a handgun actually is?

Brash
Favorite Zombie Movies: NOTLD, Dawn of the Dead (Original), Shaun of the Dead, Wild Zero, Special Dead.

Post by Brash » Sun Mar 16, 2008 10:08 am

Heres a PDF covering UK firearms law.

http://police.homeoffice.gov.uk/news-an ... iew=Binary

I think you can own blackpowder muzzleloading pistols on a FAC. However black powder is an explosive so you'd need a black powder license to go with it which is another pain in the ass.

You can also own certain section 7 hand guns. That is hand guns of special historic interest. They have to have been manufactured before January 1st 1919 and be of a caliber not readily available. What is and isn't readily available is decided by the secretary of state. You can get a FAC for these weapons to keep said section 7 pistol at home if it meets those two requirements and is kept or displayed as part of a collection.

Yes, I am aware of the irony of giving someone a license that requires them to shoot every month at a registered club as long as the gun they shoot is chambered in a caliber that isn't available. UK firearms law makes no sense.

Here is a list of what is considered readily available ammunition.

.22" rim-fire
.25" Auto/6.35mm
.25" - 50
.32" Auto/7.65mm
.32" - 20
.32" Smith & Wesson
7.62mm Soviet Tokarev
.38" 40 Winchester
.380" Auto/9mm short
9mm Parabellum/9x19mm
.38 Smith & Wesson
.38" Special
.380" - 200
.44" Special
.44" - 40 Winchester
.45" Auto pistol
.45" Long Colt

Of course it falls to you to prove to the satisfaction of the police that your firearm meets the requirements. They can just turn around and say no.

Here is a short list of firearms which were not made after 1919 and are chambered in rare calibers.

Adams revolvers
Bergman M 1903, 1905 1908 pistols
Borchardt pistols
Colt: Model 1873 and Model 1878 revolvers in .450, .455 and .476 calibre
Dutch 9.4mm Model 1873 and 10mm model 1894
Enfield Mk I and Mk II .476 service revolvers
French 11mm Models 1870, 1873 and 1874
German 10.6mm models 1879 and 1883
Kynoch revolvers
Lancaster four and two-barrelled pistols
Mannlicher pistols
Russian 11mm (.44) S&W models 1871, 1872 and 1874
Schouboe pistols
Smith & Wesson Model No.3 revolver in .450, .455 and .44 Russian calibre, First and Second Model hand ejectors in .455
Webley No.4 and No. 4 1/2 (Pryse) revolvers
Webley Kaufman & WG models 1889, 1891, 1892, 1893, or marked as WG Army Model or Webley WG target model
Wilkinson and Webley Wilkinson revolvers

Good luck finding any of those.

Other guns of special aesthetic, historical or technical importance may be kept at a site designated by the secretary of state. These would be guns made with outstanding craftsmanship, prototypes or firearms used in notorious crimes or held by famous historical figures. Unless you own a museum though that doesn't really help.

Thats my understanding of it anyway. My head hurts now. I'm going to go lie down.

Big and Daft

Post by Big and Daft » Sun Mar 16, 2008 10:26 am

Basically, no - the closest I have seen are Long Barrel Revolvers
Anything (other than what Brash posted) that has a barrel shorter than 12" and overall lenth or 24" are classed as Section 5 firearms - which are possible to own, but need need special dispensation from the Home Office. People who work at abattoirs and vets are usually the type of people to get a Section 5 license, for euthanasing dying animals. But there are many, many, many more rules and hoops to jump through to get a section 5 - makes getting a FAC and easy everyday task.
Just get a LBR, a nice western holster and a lever gun to complete the look.

Drake122

Post by Drake122 » Sun Mar 16, 2008 10:44 am

Big and Daft wrote:Basically, no - the closest I have seen are Long Barrel Revolvers
Anything (other than what Brash posted) that has a barrel shorter than 12" and overall lenth or 24" are classed as Section 5 firearms - which are possible to own, but need need special dispensation from the Home Office. People who work at abattoirs and vets are usually the type of people to get a Section 5 license, for euthanasing dying animals. But there are many, many, many more rules and hoops to jump through to get a section 5 - makes getting a FAC and easy everyday task.
Just get a LBR, a nice western holster and a lever gun to complete the look.
Hmm thats rather odd but I'll have a look

The friend I know who uses a revolver for close range pest control has a .38 Special but i'm unsure what brand. I'm pretty sure it was an old S&W but I'm not entirely sure

Somehow I have a distinct feeling that his revolver is not being licensed under an FAC and maybe being kept illegally but I'll have to ask to see whether it is

Nightside_Eclipse

Post by Nightside_Eclipse » Sun Mar 16, 2008 10:48 am

If you can't own calibers that are readily available then how the fuck are they "Readily available" ?!?! :lol:

Is there a big market for ammo for guns people can't own over there?

Brash
Favorite Zombie Movies: NOTLD, Dawn of the Dead (Original), Shaun of the Dead, Wild Zero, Special Dead.

Post by Brash » Sun Mar 16, 2008 10:50 am

Great isn't it? :lol:

Big and Daft

Post by Big and Daft » Sun Mar 16, 2008 10:53 am

Not really, because if you started selling it, it would be readily available and thus illegal - aint it fun.

The last legal pistol I saw was a very old .32 or .38 rimfire revolver - no license required and it could of been posted to my house, the bloke only wanted £700 for it. Pity you can't easily reload rimfire ammo.

Brash

Post by Brash » Sun Mar 16, 2008 11:05 am

You have to wonder what kind of twisted thought process came up with these laws.

Drake122

Post by Drake122 » Sun Mar 16, 2008 11:14 am

Probably some burk trying to make England even more boring

Big and Daft

Post by Big and Daft » Sun Mar 16, 2008 11:15 am

Drake122 wrote:Probably some burk trying to make England even more safe
Fixed that for you :D

Drake122

Post by Drake122 » Sun Mar 16, 2008 11:32 am

Big and Daft wrote:
I agree that it's making England more safe but too many restrictions on rules will always tempt people to bend or break them.

Especially firearm laws that make no sense what so ever

Beowolf1911

Post by Beowolf1911 » Sun Mar 16, 2008 12:58 pm

Drake122 wrote:
Big and Daft wrote:
I agree that it's making England more safe but too many restrictions on rules will always tempt people to bend or break them.

Especially firearm laws that make no sense what so ever
Umm it made England safer? then why do the stats show the number of homicides with firearms stayed at the same levels before and after the laws were passed? The number of "injuries" from firearms have gone up over 100%, that includes being struck with the weapon.

Some interesting stats here
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_politi ... ed_Kingdom
When a man says never or always he is usually wrong

Brash

Post by Brash » Sun Mar 16, 2008 1:03 pm

We should probably move away from discussing the politics of this here. There are other places better suited for that.

Ad'lan
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead
Rabid (1977)

Post by Ad'lan » Sun Mar 16, 2008 1:12 pm

Black Powder is about as good as it gets. Cap and Ball Colt. Thats what I'd like.
My Guide to making your own Bowstring
My Guide to making your own Flint Arrowheads
My Guide to Fletching
My Guide to Primitive Fletching
Cymro wrote:Seriously, I'm not sure I'd fuck with Ad'lan if he had his bow with him. I just don't see that ending well.
Please Check out my PAW Story, Fagin

Drake122

Post by Drake122 » Sun Mar 16, 2008 1:13 pm

Rightly so, anyway I'll probably try and get a .22 rimfire revolver but I have no experience with them, can anyone instead provide some incite to a rimfire revolver

From one "big and daft's" posts, it makes it sound like reloading a rimfire revolver is difficult somewhat

Big and Daft

Post by Big and Daft » Sun Mar 16, 2008 1:45 pm

From what i've read, reloading rimfire ammo is damn near impossible. I'm sure some nice chap will be along shortly to clarify.
Black powder revolvers look like fun, i've seen a couple fired - the bloke could hardly hit the target at 15yds and there was a wee bit of smoke, oh, and it smelt of burning hair.

Nightside_Eclipse

Post by Nightside_Eclipse » Sun Mar 16, 2008 10:06 pm

Hell, if all you can have is a blackpowder revolver then just kick it ol' skool! :lol:

Dave_M
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Dave_M » Sun Mar 16, 2008 10:07 pm

Nightside_Eclipse wrote:Hell, if all you can have is a blackpowder revolver then just kick it ol' skool! :lol:
Or, errr... emigrate to another country.

Just sayin'
Dave Merrill
Instructor for MilCopp Tactical LLC.

Rifle first. Rifle last. Rifle always.
Civilian Scout wrote:No one buys a Taurus because it's the best option available.

Bear_B

Post by Bear_B » Sun Mar 16, 2008 10:21 pm

Black Powder is better than nothing, however I'd have to +1 on Dave there, if moving is an option for you.

Maybe its just my asshole-ish nature but I'd have a hard time living anywhere that spent a large hunk of it's efforts trying to save me from myself...

Living in the UK must be like hanging on the ZS forums that way. :wink: :lol:

Nightside_Eclipse

Post by Nightside_Eclipse » Sun Mar 16, 2008 10:36 pm

DavePAL84 wrote:
Nightside_Eclipse wrote:Hell, if all you can have is a blackpowder revolver then just kick it ol' skool! :lol:
Or, errr... emigrate to another country.

Just sayin'
I was thinking that but trying to be nice... :lol:

CommonHighrise
Favorite Zombie Movies: Bone Sickness.

Post by CommonHighrise » Sun Mar 16, 2008 11:06 pm

New life mission; get Adlan an old Navy-issue model cap and ball .50 Colt.

That aside, as far as England/UK goes, they have terrible laws, and I can only pray that our bretheren and friends there follow in the footsteps of others some 283 years ago and GTFO. :)
ImageImage
CH's Current Project: Catching up...

Georgian

Post by Georgian » Sun Mar 16, 2008 11:27 pm

Are there any laws regulating bows/crossbows?
~"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."~The Duke

Ad'lan
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead
Rabid (1977)

Post by Ad'lan » Mon Mar 17, 2008 1:43 am

No Laws Concerning Bows, as such, yet. Of course, there is a Ban on Bowhunting, which means there is a ban on bowhunting equipment (Modern Broadheads). Modern Broadheads occupy a legal gray area, but the police could view your possession of them as intent to poach, and then prosecute you.

Crossbows are over 18 only.
My Guide to making your own Bowstring
My Guide to making your own Flint Arrowheads
My Guide to Fletching
My Guide to Primitive Fletching
Cymro wrote:Seriously, I'm not sure I'd fuck with Ad'lan if he had his bow with him. I just don't see that ending well.
Please Check out my PAW Story, Fagin

Drake122

Post by Drake122 » Mon Mar 17, 2008 2:25 am

Moving is a possibility, but I find it difficult switching countries with a totally different currency. But thats only one of my quarrels at the moment

I can't move at all until I can score a job and plan it out before I do anything

I've never been to America, I'll try going one day for an Holiday to see if I like it or not

EDIT:

Found this on the Internet, is a really good read something I found after looking up "Isle of Man Gun Laws"

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/1440764.stm

Return to “General Firearms Discussion”