Looking for info about RG industries RG-39 .38 Special

General discussions regarding topics that aren't covered in one of the other sub-forums. NO DISCUSSION OF POLITICS!

Moderators: ZS Global Moderators, ZS Postal Match Officers

kyle
ZS Board Member
ZS Board Member

Looking for info about RG industries RG-39 .38 Special

Post by kyle » Tue Feb 26, 2008 11:15 am

A friend of mine just acquired an RG-39 revolver in .38 but we're both having trouble finding any information about it. To tell you the truth I've never heard of RG industries before now. I know it's some company in Florida but I don't even know if it's still around.

Anyone have any experience with this firearm or can you point me in the right direction?

thanks!
Zombie Squad - "We can handle it from here. We've talked about this on the Internet."

Civilian Scout

Post by Civilian Scout » Tue Feb 26, 2008 11:28 am

"Now, let us gather our strength from the violence of the elements!" - Captain Terror

doc66

Post by doc66 » Tue Feb 26, 2008 11:28 am

RG was a German make revolver (Rohm) that was imported in the 1960's-70's and maybe into the late 80's. They were imported through Florida, much like many of the firearms from overseas. They used cast frames and steel inserts on a lot of their pistols. My father had a couple RG's and the .22 magnums frame stretched to the point it broke. The RG38 seemed to last longer. They are sheap manufactured firearms that I would not put many rounds through myself, but fit the bill if they are nightstand pieces or curios. They made a really cool double action, the RG38, that was a copy of the SAA.

Would I trust them to shoot them? I'd put a few rounds through them, but I'd also trust that they are going to break, it's just a matter of time.

Doc
http://www.milcopptactical.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

mpi

Post by mpi » Tue Feb 26, 2008 11:35 am

these are perfect if you have a boat that you want to keep in one place.....
Pennsylvania Firearm Owner's Association -
http://www.pafoa.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

A veteran is someone who, at one point, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including their life.' That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.'
LtCol George Goodson, USMC (Ret)

quazi

Post by quazi » Tue Feb 26, 2008 11:36 am

What's that on the front of the trigger guard?

doc66

Post by doc66 » Tue Feb 26, 2008 11:38 am

mpi wrote:these are perfect if you have a boat that you want to keep in one place.....
They are not heavy enough for an anchor.

Doc
http://www.milcopptactical.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

kyle
ZS Board Member
ZS Board Member

Post by kyle » Tue Feb 26, 2008 11:47 am

quazi wrote:What's that on the front of the trigger guard?
It's a piece of string that I assume had a price tag on it.

This photo is not a photo of my friend's revolver. I haven't seen it myself. That is just a picture I found doing a google search so I didn't get a bunch of "This post is useless without pics." :)

I'll get him to post a pic in here.
Zombie Squad - "We can handle it from here. We've talked about this on the Internet."

mpi

Post by mpi » Tue Feb 26, 2008 11:53 am

i have a very mall boat????? there's nothing saying you couldn't use 8 or 10 of them, that would provide a very economical anchor
Pennsylvania Firearm Owner's Association -
http://www.pafoa.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

A veteran is someone who, at one point, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including their life.' That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.'
LtCol George Goodson, USMC (Ret)

SMoAF
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by SMoAF » Tue Feb 26, 2008 12:02 pm

RGs are PERFECT for gun buybacks. That's the only possible use I have for them. I certainly would NEVER fire one. I've used them as jokes before. I used to work gunshows with a buddy who was also a FFL. When we had a particularly crappy show, whoever had the RG pistol at the time would sell it to the other one for $20, so we could say "Hey, I bought a gun for $20! Next buyback, I'll be set!". That gun must have been through our books a few dozen times each. I still have it, as I could never sell it to somebody who might shoot it for liability reasons, since I firmly believe that it would blow up within 5 rounds or so.

RGs are the original "Saturday Night Specials".
"Betrayed by the land that bore us; Forlorn by those we hold dear.
The Good have all gone before us, and only the Wicked are here.
So stand to, your glasses ready, for the world is a world full of lies.
Here's to those gone before us, and here's to the next man who dies."

FordGuy2001
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn 04. Resident Evil Films. Zombieland.

Post by FordGuy2001 » Tue Feb 26, 2008 12:32 pm

My wife has one. Her dad gave it to her when we got married 19 years ago. If he would have really hated me, I guess he would have given her something better.

I have shot it a few times. It always went bang when I pulled the trigger. Reloading is a bitch though. If you don't hit em 5 shots, throw it and hope you hit em in the head.
Fleet # ZS0021
shrapnel wrote: Pancakes, our cat, is more of a badass than any of the humans in the house.
raptor wrote:
America even in the midst of a recession is a nation of plenty; we should not allow children to go hungry.

ErgoDelta

Post by ErgoDelta » Tue Feb 26, 2008 4:33 pm

I have one, and let me tell you... I have had ZERO problems with it...and you all are pansies :twisted:

I think its a lot of hearsay if ya ask me... I'm not saying they weren't cheep guns or anything... but if it's still in one piece when you got it and someone fired it before you got it, I'd say its probably fine and safe.

I put 200 rounds through mine before I heat treated it for a shiny new coat, and the cylinder hinge and the trigger panel on the side melted (seems they were made of zinc to save on cost)... ^_^...but the rest of the parts are solid steel, and as soon as I fab my own parts for it... I'll be shooting it again...(Note: it was my grandfathers gun for some 40 years... it's seen A LOT of use) Till one day it blows my hand off I guess... :roll:

Also... DO NOT USE +P in them... you know... just in case all that hearsay is true.

tada!
All Things Change
~Ergo Delta.

Join the ZS Steam Group [ZS] < lol forgot about this... sry all who cared

Warning: all posts can and will be edited for dyslexia at any time.

mk_ultra

Post by mk_ultra » Wed Feb 27, 2008 11:43 am

I was once offered a RG 22 for free and turned it down.

UberMunchin

Post by UberMunchin » Wed Feb 27, 2008 1:12 pm

I actually learned handgun handling and basic marksmanship courtesy of my father and his single action .22LR RG revolver. He swore by his PPK-S but the RG was always kept as snake medicine when we went fishing in the backwaters of Florida.....

I'd actually pay for a another like it. Nostalgia and all.
"Antive English Speaker"

Sheol151

Post by Sheol151 » Fri Apr 18, 2008 12:54 am

I actually just got finished rebuilding one that had spent about 2 weeks underwater and then another 2 months Covered in candle wax. My friend gave it to me saying I would never get it to work....Well, In one week It cycles and seems to operate. Will do a test fire this weekend. Wish me luck, If I dont post here anymore i guess the rumors were true.

By the way Its a RG-Model 31 just like the one in the picture with the beer. But a painted mine black and polished the cylinder.

Obiwan
BANNED

Post by Obiwan » Fri Apr 18, 2008 9:07 am

I inherited one

I was afraid to shoot it because the cylinder was so loose

I was going to keep it for a buyback gun but decided I didn't want anything unsafe in my safe :D

So I broke it into little pieces.....which was not very hard to do
"One is no more armed because he has possession of a firearm than he is a musician because he owns a piano. There is no point in having a gun if you are not capable of using it skillfully." (LtCOL. Jeff Cooper U.S.M.C.)

Return to “General Firearms Discussion”