General discussions regarding topics that aren't covered in one of the other sub-forums. NO DISCUSSION OF POLITICS!

Moderators: ZS Global Moderators, ZS Postal Match Officers

Cianalas

Post by Cianalas » Thu Jan 20, 2005 9:21 pm

Won't a .357 also take .38 bullets? I seem to recall reading that at one point. Excuse my ignorance, I know very little about pistols, but I'm thinking of getting one this summer.

Any suggestions?
“That is not dead which can eternal lie, yet with stranger aeons, even Death may die.”

SMERSH

Post by SMERSH » Thu Jan 20, 2005 9:33 pm

yes
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof, is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.

-Douglas Adams

RealityDeviant

Post by RealityDeviant » Thu Jan 20, 2005 9:49 pm

Revolvers are sexy.

...Ahem. But yes, .357 magnums will eat .38 special bullets.
"I live among the cold, the false,
And I must seem like them;
And such I am, for I am false
As those I most condemn. "
L.E.L., "Lines of Life"

*Mike*

Post by *Mike* » Thu Jan 20, 2005 9:50 pm

I consider it a bonus...

SMERSH

Post by SMERSH » Thu Jan 20, 2005 10:05 pm

how bad is the recoil on a .357 magnum?
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof, is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.

-Douglas Adams

*Mike*

Post by *Mike* » Thu Jan 20, 2005 10:22 pm

I didn't think it was that bad, but you might want to ask someone who actually owns one...

Cricket

Post by Cricket » Thu Jan 20, 2005 10:26 pm

I've got one, the recoil was almost non-existent for me, it was just the damned noise it made.

Its louder than my WASR.

I can almost stand my WASR with no problem with no earplugs.

WITH earplugs it was still loud.

I think mine is a REALLY common one.

I'll have to ask my dad (he's the one who bought it) what it is exactly, I think its a S&W.

RealityDeviant

Post by RealityDeviant » Thu Jan 20, 2005 10:50 pm

SMERSH wrote:how bad is the recoil on a .357 magnum?
In my experience, it's tolerable. You'll have to get used to it, but it's not bad at all. I've shot my dad's Ruger GP100 many times and I enjoy it a lot. If my first gun is a revolver, that's the kind I'll get.
L.E.L., "Lines of Life"

Wylycoyte

Post by Wylycoyte » Thu Jan 20, 2005 11:31 pm

Felt recoil is highly dependent on the weight of the gun and the pressure of the loads you're shooting. I have a .44 magnum that's normally fairly pleasant to shoot. Stainless steel, 6" barrel. If I was shooting a titanium frame snubbie with maximum pressure loads, well, even an ardent masochist might not like that combination.
"Always acknowledge a fault. This will throw those in authority off their guard and give you an opportunity to commit more."

-Mark Twain

Joe Ghoul

Post by Joe Ghoul » Thu Jan 20, 2005 11:46 pm

I have one of those Taurus 8 shot .357s. Between the porting, and the fact that it is milled on a .44 frame, recoil is not a factor.

.357 rounds feel like .38s. .38s feel like .22s.

It a beautiful thing.
Strap on your weapons and reinforce your means of travel.

C'est la (un)vie!

RealityDeviant

Post by RealityDeviant » Fri Jan 21, 2005 12:41 am

Joe Ghoul wrote:I have one of those Taurus 8 shot .357s.
What do you think of those, anyway? I haven't heard much about them save for an objection raised by some competition shooters about the weak crane and yoke assembly.
L.E.L., "Lines of Life"

Civilian Scout

Post by Civilian Scout » Fri Jan 21, 2005 10:01 am

I have a Smith & Wesson Model 65 with a 3 inch barrel. Recoil is largely dependent upon bullet weight. With 110 or 125 grain bullets, it's not bad. 158 grain loads have a wrist-snapping kick. The noticable thing with mine, and most short-barrelled magnums, is the muzzle blast. With full power 125 grain loads, mine blows a cone of fire about 3 feet long out the barrel.
"Now, let us gather our strength from the violence of the elements!" - Captain Terror

raptorman

Post by raptorman » Fri Jan 21, 2005 12:51 pm

Wow people...you would actually choose six shots and a very shitty reload times over sixteen shots and fast reload times? There is a reason why us military types don't carry revolvers anymore. Personally, I say fuck the revolver, and go with modern weapons. Nostalgia is one thing, but trying to kill ten corpses with six shots is another.

-raptorman

Note: If it's all you have, then make the best of it.
Author of the hit Day by Day Armageddon series and dystopian thriller, Tomorrow War
JLBourne.com
Official Facebook

Wylycoyte

Post by Wylycoyte » Fri Jan 21, 2005 12:54 pm

raptorman wrote:Wow people...you would actually choose six shots and a very shitty reload times over sixteen shots and fast reload times?
Heck, I'd choose 5 shots and even shittier reload times for some applications. :D

Zombie killin' ain't one of those applications, though. :?
"Always acknowledge a fault. This will throw those in authority off their guard and give you an opportunity to commit more."

-Mark Twain

raptorman

Post by raptorman » Fri Jan 21, 2005 1:05 pm

Wylycoyte wrote:Heck, I'd choose 5 shots and even shittier reload times for some applications. :D Zombie killin' ain't one of those applications, though. :?
Unfortunately this IS a zombie survival website/forum. You can have your five shots, but I'll still have 11 when you run out. Just doesn't make sense to carry these museum peices. To each their own. Terrible weapon when considering it is mentioned on a zombie survival forum in a firearms section.

On another note, go to wal-mart today and look at the relation between 9mm/.45/.40 and then .357 rounds available.

It would be much tougher to scavenge for these rounds.
Author of the hit Day by Day Armageddon series and dystopian thriller, Tomorrow War
JLBourne.com
Official Facebook

Wylycoyte

Post by Wylycoyte » Fri Jan 21, 2005 1:11 pm

raptorman wrote:
Wylycoyte wrote:Heck, I'd choose 5 shots and even shittier reload times for some applications. :D Zombie killin' ain't one of those applications, though. :?
Unfortunately this IS a zombie survival website/forum. You can have your five shots, but I'll still have 11 when you run out. Just doesn't make sense to carry these museum peices. To each their own. Terrible weapon when considering it is mentioned on a zombie survival forum in a firearms section.

On another note, go to wal-mart today and look at the relation between 9mm/.45/.40 and then .357 rounds available.

Which is probably why I carry a Glock 19 daily.

I own a .44 manglem for hunting, and will probably get a .454 for the same reason.

-Mark Twain

Coal-Cracker

Post by Coal-Cracker » Fri Jan 21, 2005 1:18 pm

Wylycoyte wrote:Felt recoil is highly dependent on the weight of the gun and the pressure of the loads you're shooting. I have a .44 magnum that's normally fairly pleasant to shoot. Stainless steel, 6" barrel. If I was shooting a titanium frame snubbie with maximum pressure loads, well, even an ardent masochist might not like that combination.
Yep. I've shot a .454 Casul with a 3" (I think) barrel. That thing was a handcannon. Almost to the point of being impractical.
The guy who owns it carries it as his protection piece. I hope he doesn't need a fast follow-up shot with that kind of recoil. (He's the kind of guy that always has to have the biggest caliber he can get, no matter how impractical. He's such a terd.)

Wylycoyte

Post by Wylycoyte » Fri Jan 21, 2005 1:23 pm

Coal-Cracker wrote:Yep. I've shot a .454 Casul with a 3" (I think) barrel. That thing was a handcannon. Almost to the point of being impractical.
The guy who owns it carries it as his protection piece. I hope he doesn't need a fast follow-up shot with that kind of recoil. (He's the kind of guy that always has to have the biggest caliber he can get, no matter how impractical. He's such a terd.)
That is pretty stupid. Even the one I pictured above is probably too small for me and what I want it for.

But hey, if he ever gets attacked by an allosaur, he'll be the one who's laughing, not us!

-Mark Twain

Civilian Scout

Post by Civilian Scout » Fri Jan 21, 2005 2:22 pm

raptorman wrote:

If one shot always equalled one kill, your logic would be flawless. But we all know this is not always the case. And even then, it seems that in a serious PAW survival situation, having a couple of handguns chambered for some of the more common rounds would be a wise decision. This way any scrounged ammo is more likely to be useful for something other than a paperweight. You might have a high-capacity pistol that is your first choice for everyday use, but there are mountains of .38 and .357 ammo out there. I for one would like to be able to use some of that if I had to. I'm not a gung ho revolver advocate, but a little regular practice with one would also seem prudent for survival training. You might have to use one someday to save your ass, and they do shoot and handle differently than pistols. I've seen people who were fantastic pistol shots and couldn't hit shit with a revolver; and no, it wasn't the gun's fault. They were just so used to firing pistols that revolvers were alien to them. One may have one's preferences, but one should be as proficient and flexible as one can be. This enhances one's chances.
"Now, let us gather our strength from the violence of the elements!" - Captain Terror

raptorman

Post by raptorman » Fri Jan 21, 2005 2:28 pm

There is some logic to your post, but you saying that you would carry the weight of an extra revolver "just in case" you needed it over your modern Glock, is like me saying I'm gonna carry an eight track tape, just in case I come across an eight track player.

If I run out of ammo, and need to ditch my Glock/Walther pistols for some weird reason, I have a carbine to get me to another one.

It is good to be well rounded and proficient, but carrying the extra weight of a revolver on the run just in case you run out of shell for your main pistol is a little extreme for me.

Gonna carry a musket too? Just in case your main rifle runs out of regular ammo?
JLBourne.com
Official Facebook

Civilian Scout

Post by Civilian Scout » Fri Jan 21, 2005 2:40 pm

Trust me, if I'm to the point where I'm carrying everything I own on my person, there will most likely NOT be a revolver involved. If things were a little better, and I had a vehicle or some place to hole up or stash some supplies, then I'd have one "just in case." And the musket reference is a little extreme too. A revolver may be primitive in comparison to a Glock, but it's not a single shot firearm that takes the better part of a minute to reload. Revolvers are not THAT disadvantaged so as to be completely useless.

I had to edit this because someone distracted me here at work and I mistyped. Damn co-workers.
Last edited by Civilian Scout on Fri Jan 21, 2005 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

multipass

Post by multipass » Fri Jan 21, 2005 3:02 pm

raptorman wrote:Wow people...you would actually choose six shots and a very shitty reload times over sixteen shots and fast reload times? There is a reason why us military types don't carry revolvers anymore. Personally, I say fuck the revolver, and go with modern weapons. Nostalgia is one thing, but trying to kill ten corpses with six shots is another.

-raptorman

Note: If it's all you have, then make the best of it.
Well raptor i semi agree with you. i would choose a sig saurer P226 with a 15 round clip over a six chamber revolver anyday. BUT i would have a short barreled .357 in a specialy made boot holster for any of them occasions where your boot is keeping a door closed which is being kept open by a zombie. pull the revolver from the boot/ankle holster and vow it's brains out if you in a hurry.

Wylycoyte

Post by Wylycoyte » Fri Jan 21, 2005 3:07 pm

multipass wrote:BUT i would have a short barreled .357 in a specialy made boot holster for any of them occasions where your boot is keeping a door closed which is being kept open by a zombie. pull the revolver from the boot/ankle holster and vow it's brains out if you in a hurry.
You could do the same with a Kel Tec .32 or .380, and it'd keep you from walking with a limp while you carried it.

-Mark Twain

Civilian Scout

Post by Civilian Scout » Fri Jan 21, 2005 4:27 pm

Wylycoyte wrote:
multipass wrote:BUT i would have a short barreled .357 in a specialy made boot holster for any of them occasions where your boot is keeping a door closed which is being kept open by a zombie. pull the revolver from the boot/ankle holster and vow it's brains out if you in a hurry.
You could do the same with a Kel Tec .32 or .380, and it'd keep you from walking with a limp while you carried it.
With an alloy-framed S&W, the weight difference would be neglible. It would, however, cost at least twice if not three times what a Kel-Tec would. And I don't have much faith in the .32 or .380 rounds.

Return to “General Firearms Discussion”