Any UK Gun Owners?

General discussions regarding topics that aren't covered in one of the other sub-forums. NO DISCUSSION OF POLITICS!

Moderators: ZS Global Moderators, ZS Postal Match Officers

Outsider

Any UK Gun Owners?

Post by Outsider » Thu Dec 20, 2007 3:32 pm

Just out of interest, do any UK ZSers own a firearm of any sort?

I'm currently saving up for one, no idea what exactly, but I am going to get one. Oh yes, I'm a gonna get me one...

(If a mod thinks this is silly, feel free to delete it)
"Went the day well?"

By Outsider_XT at 2007-08-21

Big and Daft

Post by Big and Daft » Thu Dec 20, 2007 3:50 pm

Firearm or Shotgun?
I've have had my shotgun cert. for a week, which is the same amount of time i've had my shotgun for :)

I have a Bettinsoli Diamond O/U 28" barrel with adjustable chokes. Not had chance to fire it yet, i'm going shooting some clays with it this Sunday - can't wait.
I am thinking of buying a Mossberg 500 soon, I have spotted one for £120 about 40 miles from my house, might go and buy it in between Christmas and New Year.

Outsider

Post by Outsider » Thu Dec 20, 2007 4:07 pm

Either. If it's got a trigger you can pull and make it go boom, tell us about it.
"Went the day well?"

zombicide_x

Post by zombicide_x » Thu Dec 20, 2007 6:15 pm

Big and Daft wrote:I am thinking of buying a Mossberg 500 soon, I have spotted one for £120 about 40 miles from my house, might go and buy it in between Christmas and New Year.
This is a bit off subject, but do you know how they mod the Mossie to only hold one shell in the mag, as per law?

Do they weld some kind of plug in the mag tube?

And would it be illegal to have the 500 and just happen to be in possession of, oh, say a plain old threaded steel tube that just happens to be the same size as, oh, say a Mossberg 500 mag tube? :twisted:

Ad'lan
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead
Rabid (1977)

Post by Ad'lan » Thu Dec 20, 2007 6:29 pm

Yes, yes it would.

If the police decided that you had made or obtained, or had modifed your Shotgun so that it nolonger fitted the rules of your shotgun liscence, they would confiscate it, and then you couldn't own any other firearms either.

You could if you had a FAC, and a good reason for needing a half dozen shells capacity.

though I belive it is two shells in the tube, that they mod it to.
My Guide to making your own Bowstring
My Guide to making your own Flint Arrowheads
My Guide to Fletching
My Guide to Primitive Fletching
Cymro wrote:Seriously, I'm not sure I'd fuck with Ad'lan if he had his bow with him. I just don't see that ending well.
Please Check out my PAW Story, Fagin

TC

Post by TC » Thu Dec 20, 2007 6:36 pm

As Ad'lan says, you need a FAC for the big mag and, of course, good reason.

Personally I have one over and under beretta shotgun on my license which I use for clays and the rare game shoot. I have a friend who is big on game shooting in Devon, but traveling with a gun is a big problem in the UK unless you go by car, which I can't.

Current laws being what they are, I just don't see how I will ever be able to keep a gun in my flat in London, so for the most part my license goes unused.

While we're on the subject, I've been working on a video for Youtube to try to get people in the UK to open their minds on the subject of guns. It's a long shot, I know, but I don't feel like I have the right to complain unless I actually start trying to change things. Even if I can get one person to reconsider their current view that anything gun shaped is bad, I'll consider it worthwhile. Let me know what you guys think.

S.R. Stryker

Post by S.R. Stryker » Thu Dec 20, 2007 6:51 pm

So basically in the UK you are not allowed to own a firearm / shotgun for defense purposes only sporting purposes ?
Shallow Grave Knives

And He said to them, “When I sent you without money bag, knapsack, and sandals, did you lack anything?”
So they said, “Nothing.”
Then He said to them, “But now, he who has a money bag, let him take it, and likewise a knapsack; and he who has no sword, let him sell his garment and buy one.
-Luke 22:36

Outsider

Post by Outsider » Thu Dec 20, 2007 6:57 pm

Exactly. If you'd tried to defend yourself with a firearm, you'd be locked up for longer than the chap who attacked you! Excuse me for a moment.

(Slams head into wall repeatedly bemoaning stupid Government legislature and media opinion)
"Went the day well?"

zombicide_x

Post by zombicide_x » Thu Dec 20, 2007 6:58 pm

Since the dramatic drop* in gun crime after the enactment of the Firearms Act of '97, all you gun nutters need to just sit down and shut-up!
-The Guardian, comments

*Yeah, right.
TC wrote:While we're on the subject, I've been working on a video for Youtube to try to get people in the UK to open their minds on the subject of guns.

A quixotic mission, but a worthy one.

mantis

Post by mantis » Thu Dec 20, 2007 7:39 pm

Damn. I thought we had it bad in Canada as far as firearms laws go... We don't have to give a reason for owning non-restricted firearms (shotguns & rifles). The assumed purpose is one or more of: target shooting, hunting or collecting. With restricted firearms (handguns and some rifles and shotguns), you have to specify a reason and there are only two valid reasons under tha law: 1) Target shooting or 2) Collecting.

Having said that, if you did use a firearm for self-defence within your own home when faced with a truly life-threatening situation, you'd be in the clear. The criminal code states that you can use as much force as is necessary to protect your life or the lives of others. Basically, whatever force you do use must match but not exceed the threat. If you shoot a burglar, you're probably going to jail. If you shoot a burglar who threatened you or a family member with a firearm or some other weapon, you wouldn't face charges.
Doc Torr wrote:"Those who live by the sword get shot by those who see them coming a hundred yards away."
roscoe wrote:.....and don't plan on being The Humongous - it ain't happening.

Flying Lead
Location: Alabama-Land of low taxes, lots of guns and more meth labs than you can count!

Post by Flying Lead » Thu Dec 20, 2007 8:23 pm

If I were subjected to UK firearms law, my only goal in life would be to escape UK's firearms law.
Room for one more US? :mrgreen:
The optimist learns English, a pessimist - Chinese, realist exploring a Kalashnikov rifle.-russian survival website
1911nufsaid wrote:I'm not implying you, or anyone on the forum for that matter, is a 'end of world' nut job.
Woods Walker wrote:If their shit was any tighter the carbon within would be turned to diamonds.
Put me down for M14, XD45 and Pie

TC

Post by TC » Fri Dec 21, 2007 9:59 am

Hey,

I uploaded the videos, but I'm afraid that due to some formatting problems I had to get rid of some of the smooth slide transitions.

Let me know what you guys think!

Part 1
Part 2

Big and Daft

Post by Big and Daft » Fri Dec 21, 2007 1:20 pm

As Ad'lan and TC said, its two in the magazine and one in the chamber on a Shotgun Cert. ie 2+1 - thye crimp the ends of the magazine tube over so that you can only get two in there.
There are some double magnum semi-autos i've heard of, where you can fit 3 shells in the magazine (using 2 3/4inch shells) but this is very bad, turns you shotgun into a Section 1 firearm and you get all your guns taken off you and sent to prison.

I just need to stop looking at Mossberg 500 accessories now, its going to cost me a fortune to pimp it out.

JohnGalt

Post by JohnGalt » Fri Dec 21, 2007 1:32 pm

The rules on the shotgun capacity are exactly the same in most U.S. states, but in the context of hunting. If the only approved use for guns in the U.K. is sporting, then the law makes sense. Most everyone I know just leaves the plug in their shotgun year round since they only use their shotguns for bird hunting.

Makarov
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead
The Walking Dead

Post by Makarov » Fri Dec 21, 2007 2:19 pm

I'm pretty sure the Queens subjects are allowed to own and use a shotgun with a full capacity tube if they're a member of the UKPSA.
Go and join today, IPSC shotgun is a lot of fun :D

We're only allowed to own guns for hunting, sports and collection here in Norway. Fortunately there's competitions where I can use my HK91, and Glock 34 and NAA mini and ad nauseam... (You get the picture)
Thomas

Der skal Kugle til en Thrønder

RIP hk33k

Politenessman

Post by Politenessman » Fri Dec 21, 2007 2:53 pm

TC wrote:Hey,

I uploaded the videos, but I'm afraid that due to some formatting problems I had to get rid of some of the smooth slide transitions.

Part 1
Part 2
Nice job.
How are you going to get this out there to the general public?
British by birth, American by choice.
Bespoke shooting accessories Retro Tactical - Get Yours here!

TC

Post by TC » Fri Dec 21, 2007 3:04 pm

Politenessman wrote:
TC wrote:Hey,

Part 1
Part 2
Nice job.
How are you going to get this out there to the general public?
Heh, well, I guess this is where I could use some tips or suggestions from you guys.

Return to “General Firearms Discussion”