Taurus = Fuck the fucking fuckers...

General discussions regarding topics that aren't covered in one of the other sub-forums. NO DISCUSSION OF POLITICS!

Moderators: ZS Global Moderators, ZS Postal Match Officers

Bear_B

Re: Taurus = Fuck the fucking fuckers...

Post by Bear_B » Tue Mar 24, 2009 5:01 pm

grand94jeep wrote:
Bear_B wrote: A few years back Taurus was fighting hard to break into the main stream firearms market... they were putting out some pretty good quality, especially in their revolvers... now I guess due to cost they are skimping, or so it seems to me.
I guess this explains my PT908. Damn thing shoots smooth as silk and not a jam yet.
:roll: :lol: :mrgreen:

I've had some Taurus weapons that I can say the same thing about. The PT1911 I had, the Model 92 and 99s I had (Beretta knock offs), and the very first Taurus I had, a .357 Magnum revolver, was very nice.

However... once again, my BIGGEST turn off is not the fact that my 11th weapon with them was a lemon (it happens), and not even as much the suck ass customer service rep...

But rather FOUR FUCKING TRIPS back to the factory... :?:

What I started with was a BRAND NEW pistol...

What I ended up with was a gun made up of mix matched parts, that STILL didnt work.

ONE trip to the factory... I'll live with it. I'd even forgive two, maybe. Human error happens...

BUT FOUR trips back and STILL NOT WORKING????

Sorry... I'll pass on any more Taurus weapons.

grand94jeep
Favorite Zombie Movies: All Zombie movies. Even the bad ones

Post by grand94jeep » Tue Mar 24, 2009 10:53 pm

Bear_B wrote:
For the record, I bought the PT908 as a cheap car gun. Much like as one would buy a Hi-point pistol. :mrgreen: :lol: :mrgreen:
,=====o00o _
//___l__,\____\,__
l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
(o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.
~Ronald Reagan~

Bear_B

Post by Bear_B » Tue Apr 14, 2009 6:43 pm

Jeriah wrote:Hey Bear, I forgot what happened w/ your Taurus experience. Bad customer service IIRC? Could you link to the rant thread?
Bumped per request

Jeriah
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Original Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead 04, and 28 Days Later are my top three, in that order.

Post by Jeriah » Tue Apr 14, 2009 7:06 pm

Damn. I'd missed how epic this got.

GeneralDiscontent

Post by GeneralDiscontent » Sat Dec 05, 2009 2:44 am

Just a bump to let Bear know I was thinking of this thread today - I went shopping for a 1911 and told the guy what I was looking for, my price range (towards the cheaper end for a 1911), and said "...and not a Taurus!" He gave me a smirk that I took to mean "good call!" :lol:
Some of my write-ups you might find useful: My FAK, poncho mod, my BOAT, pressure canning, bulk food storage

Dtrain
Favorite Zombie Movies: Resident Evil

Post by Dtrain » Sat Dec 05, 2009 10:30 pm

It's too bad..When I was a lot younger...as in a lot..Taurus was pretty decent..I really wonder what happened as through the years I have had a few. I never had a bit of trouble with one of their 38 Spcl snubs, a 9mm, and the one that I have left a PT22. I have shot sevral bricks through it and no problems, once and awhile a jam, but those I would trace to shooting a heavy amount of ammo through in one session without a quick cleaning. At one point this year I was really thinking about a Judge. No real need, just thought it was "Cool" and I guess with the right ammunition and target selection Fun..

Dtrain

SteelWolf

Post by SteelWolf » Sun Dec 06, 2009 3:37 pm

Not sure if its the same as you have, but I bought a Taurus Tracker (blued, 4" barrel) a while back, and I have problems with it too. I find that American Eagle seems to be the best ammo for mine... and cleaning it every 100 rounds or so... but it still has issues. The cylinder will skip chambers or not lock in, the firing pin doesn't always fire the round off (tho it does the 2nd time around... still L A M E)

That being said, I bought it as a fun plinking gun, so no harm no foul there... when it works, its loads of fun... but damn is it frustrating sometime.

As for taurus as a company, i like them... I also own 2 PT 1911's (great guns really, I use them when I go backpacking, horseback riding etc, eg - a place where I'd think twice about carrying a $1800 Kimber...) and had an issue where the hammer wouldn't lock back... causing a full auto 1911.... fun but scary. Called them up, shipped it off and it was back in 2 weeks - and it was NICELY RE-BLUED!!!! (there was a bit of wear on the finish) You may have just gotten Mr. McDouche that day I think.
TEMS / Flight Paramedic. NRP, FP-C, TP-C.
OIF / OEF Combat Veteran
Owner / Chief Instructor of Archangel Dynamics, LLC. Come visit us for all of your Medical Preparedness needs!
Do you live in or around Arizona? Come train with us! Firearms, Medical and Survival courses.
https://archangeldynamics.com/

Bear_B

Post by Bear_B » Tue Dec 08, 2009 7:26 pm

You may have just gotten Mr. McDouche that day I think.
Then he must also have been the guy that answered the phone the 2nd and 3rd and 4th times I called but had a different voice every time, and also been the guy who put the wrong barrel on my gun... who shipped my gun back still not working... and shipped it back the last time WET and showing signs of CORROSION...

Yea... somehow that does not sound like just one guy causing all the problems.

You buy a taurus if you wish, but Im done with them.

Vicarious_Lee
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 days later, Resident Evil 2, Shaun Of The Dead, Bowling For Columbine, Farenheit 911

Post by Vicarious_Lee » Tue Dec 08, 2009 8:53 pm

Bear_B wrote:But rather FOUR FUCKING TRIPS back to the factory... :?:

What I started with was a BRAND NEW pistol...

What I ended up with was a gun made up of mix matched parts, that STILL didnt work.

ONE trip to the factory... I'll live with it. I'd even forgive two, maybe. Human error happens...

BUT FOUR trips back and STILL NOT WORKING????

This has been my father's EXACT experience with his Taurus .44 mag revolver, and he shares this EXACT opinion.
duodecima wrote:The tinfoil's a clever idea...

the_caged_bird

Re:

Post by the_caged_bird » Wed Dec 09, 2009 5:54 pm

Haji wrote:After hearing about several failures of various Taurus products from customers, and since the only gun that's ever actually broken on me was one of theirs, I'm done. Too many other companies out there who's products don't fail and who's CS doesn't suck to bother with Taurus. I decided a while ago that if there was a Taurus I wanted, I'd get the original gun they copied the design from instead.
I agree but the only Taurus that I own ISN'T a copy or I'd have bought it from it's original brand.

On the plus side, I haven't had any problems with my Public Defender, yet <fingers crossed>

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Wed Dec 09, 2009 6:03 pm

As posted earlier. I had a problem with a brand new 24/7 in .45acp. It was a jam-o- matic and I could never get to fire more than 3 rounds without jamming. Several trips back the factory and then I sold it in disgust.

Sorry I liked Taurus and the 24/7 design but I will never buy another Taurus.

Mr. Badger

Post by Mr. Badger » Thu Dec 10, 2009 2:30 pm

The majority of Taurus owners never even have to use the warranty service because the usually discard the gun after the first drive-by.

Seven_Sicks_Two

Post by Seven_Sicks_Two » Thu Dec 10, 2009 2:37 pm

We recently had a young guy that bought a brand new Taurus .357 snubbie. He took it onto our range and put exactly 48 rounds of .357 FMJ through it. After that grueling torture test, his revolver wouldn't lock up anymore. We sent it back for service and he plans to trade it towards a Ruger or Smith. I would sooner trust a Jennings.
Sicks' Law: "As an online discussion about guns grows longer, the probability of comparison involving Gecko45 or Mall Ninjas approaches 1."
Leethal wrote:If you've ever priced Powerball, you know that it is made of gold, silver, and platinum with ruby, sapphire, and emerald accents.

OkieZombies
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later*, All of Romero's Movies

Post by OkieZombies » Thu Dec 10, 2009 3:49 pm

Scott Skawronska wrote:
Since then, I've steered others towards Taurus. I've helped six friends each with Tauri get warranty work done. Six people who were happy with their purchases once they were done.

S
Isn't that a hint?
Glock 21SF for sale
http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... 29&start=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
JamesCannon wrote:First they came for the cough medicine and I said nothing, because my throat hurt.

Code: Select all

A65864
Opn U  Pro D  Rev U
Ltd U  L10 C  SS  U
http://www.uspsa.org/cgi-bin/db_lookup_class.cgi?number=a65864

OkieZombies
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later*, All of Romero's Movies

Post by OkieZombies » Thu Dec 10, 2009 3:53 pm

grand94jeep wrote:
Bear_B wrote: A few years back Taurus was fighting hard to break into the main stream firearms market... they were putting out some pretty good quality, especially in their revolvers... now I guess due to cost they are skimping, or so it seems to me.
I guess this explains my PT908. Damn thing shoots smooth as silk and not a jam yet.
:roll: :lol: :mrgreen:
What's your round count? I know a lot of people make such statements and yet they nary shoot a case a year.
The real test of a quality pistol is what it starts doing at 1,000 rounds, 5,000 rounds, 10,000 rounds and beyond.
Most people don't shoot that much.
But if you compete once a month (say 150 rounds) that add ups quick....
Glock 21SF for sale
http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... 29&start=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
JamesCannon wrote:First they came for the cough medicine and I said nothing, because my throat hurt.

Code: Select all

A65864
Opn U  Pro D  Rev U
Ltd U  L10 C  SS  U
http://www.uspsa.org/cgi-bin/db_lookup_class.cgi?number=a65864

PistolPete
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by PistolPete » Thu Dec 10, 2009 8:44 pm

Wow, since people keep bringing this thread up, I'll chime in. Taurus isn't my first choice for revolvers, but they meet a price point for people on a budget looking to buy a gun. Have they had some stinkers? Hell yeah. Have they also made some pretty decent guns? Another hell yeah.

I've yet to see a model 94 or 941 that I'd want to own. But my first handgun was a used Taurus model 66. It had seen some use when I found it, and I'm coming up on the 10,000 round mark on it. It's not smooth like a S&W, and I wouldn't run it over with a truck and still shoot it, like a Ruger, but a lot of Taurus guns in circulation are perfectly serviceable guns.

Not everyone has, or has the inclination to, spend a ton of money on a gun. For the occasional shooter, there are probably lots of Taurus pistols that will work just fine for them. For someone who shoots a lot more, they are likely going to invest in something with a better reputation. There is room in the world for both types of people, and each are making a reasonable choice when they spend their money.

It does seem pretty unanimous that their customer service is certainly not industry leading, however. :)
Angry Peasants, musings on guns and the state of our world

Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first.
- Mark Twain

gelgoog

Post by gelgoog » Thu Dec 10, 2009 8:59 pm

well frankly the interwebs seems to have more Hi-point fans then Taurus if that says anything.

GeneralDiscontent

Post by GeneralDiscontent » Fri Dec 11, 2009 12:03 am

gelgoog wrote:well frankly the interwebs seems to have more Hi-point fans then Taurus if that says anything.
That's because regardless of any other issues with their products, Hi-Point has a FANTASTIC reputation regarding warranties & repair work.
Some of my write-ups you might find useful: My FAK, poncho mod, my BOAT, pressure canning, bulk food storage

razeak

Post by razeak » Fri Dec 11, 2009 1:40 am

I have 3000 rounds through a Taurus 1911. I haven't had a single hiccup. My only CS experience was when I took the gun apart and dropped a grip screw and it fell into a furnace vent and was lost. I didn't have any trouble with the guy on the phone and my screws were delivered the next week. I knew a guy who had problems with a Kimber and have read about the Taurus problems. It can happen with any manufacturer. I think the operator can have a lot to do with it depending on whether they clean their gun, clean it improperly(ie saturate it in oil) or generally abuse it.

Some people get the lemons, some don't. It is typically as simple as that.

lunchboxTBC
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland

Post by lunchboxTBC » Fri Dec 11, 2009 2:54 am

Wow! I was even talking today about buying another Taurus! The 7 shot .357 mag snubie I bought years ago was a good pistol, untill I replaced all the springs and polished the living HELL out of the internals, then it was a GREAT little gun. But if their QC and CS has gone this far to shit, yeah, ef them.
Someone asked me about my bug out bag last week, "You have all this STUFF in your truck, do you want the world to end?"
I said, "That's like saying someone who carries a spare tire around WANTS to get a flat or someone that carries around jumper cables WANTS a dead battery.
He didn't get it.

Vicarious_Lee
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 days later, Resident Evil 2, Shaun Of The Dead, Bowling For Columbine, Farenheit 911

Post by Vicarious_Lee » Fri Dec 11, 2009 1:43 pm

Taurus: Because we suck. And we hate you.
duodecima wrote:The tinfoil's a clever idea...

silentpoet

Post by silentpoet » Fri Dec 11, 2009 8:40 pm

Vicarious_Lee wrote:Taurus: Because we suck. And we hate you.
LOL :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :mrgreen:
"...a society too squeamish to call evil by its right name has destroyed its first, best defense against cutthroats."
David Gelernter (Unabomber victim)

Bear_B

Post by Bear_B » Fri Dec 11, 2009 9:01 pm

Some people get the lemons, some don't. It is typically as simple as that.
The "lemon" theory I'd buy ... if it was fixed after I sent it in... but 4x sending it in, and getting it back each time WORSE than when I sent it in... with the wrong barrel on it... wet and showing signs of corrosion... sorry, but that goes WAY beyond the whole "lemon" idea.

I've had other Taurus guns that were just as good... A Taurus PT92, and a PT99, and a PT1911 that served me VERY well....... as I've stated several times on not only this thread but other threads previously, I USED to support and defend Taurus from the "nay sayers" of the brand because I'd had such good luck with them, and thought them a great option for someone on a budget. I'd had one other experience with Taurus' customer service previously and it was very positive.... however that was years ago... so I can only speculate on recent developments within the company that have caused such a DECLINE in customer service, warranty work, AND so it seems, quality control.

However with today's market being what it is, I am able to purchase brand new GLOCKS for 420 bucks, Smith M&Ps for 470, XDs for 480, etc... and go home with a pistol who has a PERFECT reputation for both quality and service in my many years of experience with them, or spend the money on a product from a company who completely SCREWED me as a customer.

Sorry, butI say FUCK TAURUS because they spent a YEAR completely fucking me over.

GeneralDiscontent

Post by GeneralDiscontent » Sat Dec 12, 2009 6:29 pm

PistolPete wrote: Not everyone has, or has the inclination to, spend a ton of money on a gun. For the occasional shooter, there are probably lots of Taurus pistols that will work just fine for them. For someone who shoots a lot more, they are likely going to invest in something with a better reputation. There is room in the world for both types of people, and each are making a reasonable choice when they spend their money.
The thing is, they're really not that cheap anymore - I was just browsing through my local shop's circular, and the cheapest semi-autos in the ad were the Ruger SR9 & P95 and the S&W Sigma. For revolvers, you can get a S&W Airweight for about $40 more than a Taurus, and for a 1911 pattern Springfield Armory has several models that are cheaper than Taurus. Judging from the scuttlebutt I've seen in this thread & elsewhere, I'd go with any of those before Taurus. (FWIW, I'm not bashing Taurus out-of-hand - one of my next purchases will be a Judge as a snake gun / range toy. But if a n00b on a budget asked what to buy cheap as their first & only gun, I think I'd recommend any of the above before a Taurus).
Last edited by GeneralDiscontent on Sat Dec 12, 2009 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “General Firearms Discussion”