My first time shooting today

General discussions regarding topics that aren't covered in one of the other sub-forums. NO DISCUSSION OF POLITICS!

Moderators: ZS Global Moderators, ZS Postal Match Officers

Big and Daft

My first time shooting today

Post by Big and Daft » Sun Nov 25, 2007 3:47 pm

A good friend of mine took me shooting today, I live in the UK so not that many people own shotguns/rifles.
He has been shooting for over 40 years and used to live three doors down from me, he recently come into the shop where I work and we got chatting and I mentioned I was interested and so he took me shooting.

We went to a privateish range where he is a member on the top of a hill in Lancashire, I got to shoot 4 of his guns;
The first one I got to fire was a .308 Ruger, we were on a 100 yard range aiming at Actimel bottles (we didn't bother with targets, more fun maing little plastic bottles jump up and down) The Ruger was a very nice bolt action, not sure of the age but it was in good condition, he only had iron sights on this and they were slightly off, kept missing the bottles by about 6 inches, still hit a few - but it was loud, I had no ear protection and no one had any spare.
The second was a .44 Marlin, this was great fun to use with the lever action, I fired this from a standing position (the .308 I fired from a bench) this made it seem like the .44 kicked a lot more. I found the iron sights a little strange but I was soon smacking the little plastic bottles.
Then he got his Ruger 10/22 out with a scope on it nearly as big as the gun, this was easy to shoot. The difference in kick and noise made this feel like an air rifle. As in the UK you can only have semi-auto rifles chambered in .22 this was the only semi-auto there and I had a blast firing it. I was shocked to see just how small the .22 round is compared to the .308 round.
Then we all went outside for a clay shoot where I used his Lanber sporting O/U, out of 25 clays, I think I missed 4 or 5. Its only the second time Ive shot at clays so I was happy with this - my cheek, however, isnt its a tad sore. I was told this is because the Lanber may of been a tad short for me, or my stance was off.
After we had shot the clays, had a bite to eat and a drink of coffee, we walked down the range to shoot the Marlin from about 25 yards, just to use up the last of his ammuntion.

All in all I had a great day, it was a nice informal range, lots of banter and piss taking - he said I should be able to join, which means I will be able to get a firearms cerftificate and buy myself some toys. Out of the guns I shot my favorite is the shotgun, hands down and out of the rifles its a hard choice, they were all fun to fire, but I think the 10/22 was marginally more fun as it was semi-auto. I can see this turning into an expensive hobby.

Ad'lan
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead
Rabid (1977)

Post by Ad'lan » Sun Nov 25, 2007 3:55 pm

Brilliant, The Uk needs as many gun owners as possible. Glad you had a good time.
My Guide to making your own Bowstring
My Guide to making your own Flint Arrowheads
My Guide to Fletching
My Guide to Primitive Fletching
Cymro wrote:Seriously, I'm not sure I'd fuck with Ad'lan if he had his bow with him. I just don't see that ending well.
Please Check out my PAW Story, Fagin

TravisM.1

Re: My first time shooting today

Post by TravisM.1 » Sun Nov 25, 2007 3:56 pm

Big and Daft wrote:.............I had no ear protection and no one had any spare.
Take it from someone with tinnitus (constant ringing in the ears) and a lot of cummulative loss from shooting without protection when I was younger- its a bad habit to get into. The cheapest disposable plugs work great. Eye protection is also a good idea. You only get two functioning eyes.

The second was a .44 Marlin, this was great fun to use with the lever action, I fired this from a standing position (the .308 I fired from a bench) this made it seem like the .44 kicked a lot more. I found the iron sights a little strange but I was soon smacking the little plastic bottles.
It was probably what they call a "buckhorn" rear sight.

Then he got his Ruger 10/22 out with a scope on it nearly as big as the gun, this was easy to shoot. The difference in kick and noise made this feel like an air rifle. As in the UK you can only have semi-auto rifles chambered in .22 this was the only semi-auto there and I had a blast firing it. I was shocked to see just how small the .22 round is compared to the .308 round.
Thats awesome. A 10/22 is a ton of fun, even with open sights. I always get a kick out of shooting one while wearing earplugs- the "click-clack" of the action is as loud as the rifle being fired.

out of 25 clays, I think I missed 4 or 5. Its only the second time Ive shot at clays so I was happy with this - my cheek, however, isnt its a tad sore. I was told this is because the Lanber may of been a tad short for me, or my stance was off.
Head position, stock length, drop, and comb all come into play in regards to how a shotgun stock fits you, which is why a lot of competitive trap/sporting clays gun have adjustable cheekpieces and butts. A lot of people seem to think that the stock fitment is a comfort issue, but it effects where your shot will go relative to where the bead is when you fire.

I'm glad you had a good time.
I sold my soul to the devil for a .45, a black cowboy hat and a switchblade knife.......

Dirty Irish
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Army of Darkness, Dawn of the Dead, Night of the Living Dead, Return of the Living Dead (all of them), Shaun of the Dead, Fido, Zombieland, Zombie Strippers, Dance of the Dead, among others...

Post by Dirty Irish » Sun Nov 25, 2007 5:00 pm

TravisM.1 wrote:
Big and Daft wrote:.............I had no ear protection and no one had any spare.
Take it from someone with tinnitus (constant ringing in the ears) and a lot of cummulative loss from shooting without protection when I was younger- its a bad habit to get into. The cheapest disposable plugs work great. Eye protection is also a good idea. You only get two functioning eyes.

+1!!! I definately agree with this one!!! Hearing and eye protection is a must for recreational shooting!

LittleLebowski
BANNED

Post by LittleLebowski » Sun Nov 25, 2007 11:03 pm

In a pinch, empty brass will work as hearing protection or toilet paper.
Then we got drunk off boiled-down hairspray and mouthwash, went blind for a couple hours, and tried to shoot holes in the curtain of night to bring the sun back.

ClownRacer

Post by ClownRacer » Mon Nov 26, 2007 8:33 am

LittleLebowski wrote:In a pinch, empty brass will work as hearing protection or toilet paper.
damn good tip i would hate shooting without ear protection

Brash
Favorite Zombie Movies: NOTLD, Dawn of the Dead (Original), Shaun of the Dead, Wild Zero, Special Dead.

Post by Brash » Mon Nov 26, 2007 8:43 am

Ad'lan wrote:Brilliant, The Uk needs as many gun owners as possible. Glad you had a good time.
+1 on that mate. Welcome to the forums Big and Daft. :D

Leethal
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later

Post by Leethal » Mon Nov 26, 2007 5:34 pm

LittleLebowski wrote:In a pinch, empty brass will work as hearing protection or toilet paper.
Cigarette butts will, too.
Jvandenhaus wrote:This is why we can't have nice things.
Neal Boortz wrote:"Robin Hood didn't, as most people believe, 'take from the rich to give to the poor.' He actually took from the government. Small but important point."

REB 27

Post by REB 27 » Tue Nov 27, 2007 1:00 pm

Great that you had a good time at the range. But as has been stated above, get some hearing protection. Then get that Ruger 10-22. That little rifle is a hoot, isn't it?
F***, I hate clowns!

Chevron seven, locked!

AwPhuch

Post by AwPhuch » Tue Nov 27, 2007 1:50 pm

Leethal wrote:
Cigarette butts will, too.
Oh yah..the old USMC backup ear plugs! :)
Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms - Should be a convenience store, not a Governmental entity
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." (Edmund Burke)

Grin Reaper

Post by Grin Reaper » Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:32 pm

So, how much would one pay for a new Ruger 10/22 in the UK? Just wondering what kind of bargain WalMart really offers.

Uzi Jen

Post by Uzi Jen » Tue Nov 27, 2007 9:19 pm

TravisM.1 wrote:

+1,000

I don't care for ear plugs, so if you find they don't work for you, you can always pick up the good ol' fashioned "Mickey Mouse Ears". ;) Eye protection is another must.

Congrats on your first day shooting. Ain't it fun???? :twisted:
0-1-25

In Memory of Pat/HK33K - thanks for still having my back. Love you.

To see our "21 Gun Salute" to Pat, Google my sig.....

SFA0125

Big and Daft

Post by Big and Daft » Wed Nov 28, 2007 2:28 pm

I will definatley be taking ear protection next time, I meant to this time but forgot - wont be forgetting again in a hurry.
My shotgun application went off a few days ago, so if things go to plan I should have it before christmas, so I can go and buy myself a 12 gauge present. I will try for my firearms cert. early next year, thats when the real spending will begin - my credit card will be sorry.
The 10/22 will be the first rifle I buy, I also quite like the look of the Krinker Plinker conversion, but i'm not toally convinced of the quality or the fact its a scale model. Then I'll look for either a .223 or .308 bolt action.
A 10/22 will set me back about £235, if not more. Thats just under $500 US, how much are they over there?

Thanks for all the encouragement everyone.

ArmyOfDarkness

Post by ArmyOfDarkness » Wed Nov 28, 2007 2:36 pm

$180 is the cheapest, I think.
"Some people were meant to be 911, others were meant to call 911" Ilerio P.

gordon_freeman
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of Dead

Post by gordon_freeman » Wed Nov 28, 2007 4:42 pm

This thread has been very useful for finding improvised hearing protection.

-Used Brass
-Toilet Paper
-Cigarette Butts.

Return to “General Firearms Discussion”