Cowboy Action Shooting & Cowboy Guns in general

General discussions regarding topics that aren't covered in one of the other sub-forums. NO DISCUSSION OF POLITICS!

Moderators: ZS Global Moderators, ZS Postal Match Officers

Barricade
Favorite Zombie Movies: The good ones

Re: Cowboy Action Shooting & Cowboy Guns in general

Post by Barricade » Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:22 pm

TXwaterdog wrote:So this gun exists.. Mossberg 464™ ZMB Series

I actually want it :shock:

skelco
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by skelco » Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:52 am

I have a friend who's really into this and I'm getting a pretty strong jones to try it... looks fun and fits right in with my jones for a lever gun too. I like the costume and handle part of it too (you guys that are knockin it, remember, you're on a board about fightin zombies).
-skelco
ZSC:015 Officer of Indeterminate Duty

"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me."
-Hunter S. Thompson

Mr. E. Monkey

Post by Mr. E. Monkey » Sat Feb 02, 2013 2:11 pm

RickOShea wrote:That reminds me: I still need to order one of those Grizzly Custom picatinny forends.* :awesome:

*Note the lack of blue text.

Now see, that looks better.
SMoAF wrote:'Tis better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness.
Beowolf wrote:Disasters are terrifying, but people are stupid.
wee drop o' bush wrote:THE EVIL MONKEY HAS WON THE INTERNETS! :lol: Image

TXwaterdog
Favorite Zombie Movies: ZombieLand, Shawn of the Dead, I'm more a fan of apocalyptic movies than Zombie movies. I'm not much of a horror fan. Hobo With a Shotgun, book of Eli, Mad Max...

AMC's "The Walking Dead"

Post by TXwaterdog » Sat Feb 02, 2013 2:20 pm

That's looking much better than the Mossberg.. but survival isn't a beauty contest.. get what works for you.. to each their own.
"May the wind always be at your back and the sun always upon your face and may the wings of destiny carry you aloft to dance with the stars."
~ Boston George

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Sat Feb 02, 2013 3:32 pm

TXwaterdog wrote:That's looking much better than the Mossberg.. but survival isn't a beauty contest.. get what works for you.. to each their own.
Welp, that Mossberg has it's own thread....If you're that interested:

http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... 09&t=89137
whisk.e.rebellion wrote: It's not what you say anymore. It's how you say it.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

Mr. E. Monkey

Post by Mr. E. Monkey » Sat Feb 02, 2013 3:43 pm

TXwaterdog wrote:That's looking much better than the Mossberg.. but survival isn't a beauty contest.. get what works for you.. to each their own.
Good point, and quoteworthy, at that. I have a hard time seeing it being much more practical, but as you said, to each their own. :)
I still hate it.
SMoAF wrote:'Tis better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness.
Beowolf wrote:Disasters are terrifying, but people are stupid.
wee drop o' bush wrote:THE EVIL MONKEY HAS WON THE INTERNETS! :lol: Image

TXwaterdog
Favorite Zombie Movies: ZombieLand, Shawn of the Dead, I'm more a fan of apocalyptic movies than Zombie movies. I'm not much of a horror fan. Hobo With a Shotgun, book of Eli, Mad Max...

AMC's "The Walking Dead"

Post by TXwaterdog » Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:53 pm

so back to Cowboy action shooting.. I'm new to the game.. just picked up my own first lever gun.. A Rossi R92 in .44. I'm looking forward to maybe doing a few fun things with it. The cowboy action looks like a blast.. Are there any cowboy shooters here that can clue me into some sub catagories? I'd like to start out with as few guns as possible to begin with.. Can i do just side matches with only a rifle?
"May the wind always be at your back and the sun always upon your face and may the wings of destiny carry you aloft to dance with the stars."
~ Boston George

gus3836

Post by gus3836 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:38 pm

I suppose you could do side matches only. But the problem is at most local monthly matches they may only have one or two side matches and it may not be a rifle
match. Could be speed pistol or speed shotgun or 22lr side match the list is long. You would have to contact a local club and just ask. Best way show up at a match with your rifle tell them you are interested and you will offered guns to shoot the match. Offer a few bucks to pay for ammo probably rejected but offer anyway. My first match I had a Ruger Vaquero someone lent me a shotgun had shells with me and a cowboy on my posse let me use his rifle at each stage. Next shoot I had both a rifle and shotgun of my own. It is very addicting buying guns for every side match and spares etc. Worth every dime. Clothes are another matter. You can look good or jeans and flannel shirt will do you. Do not wear tennis shoes but moccasins will work or work boots first match most clubs will let you shoot about anyway you showup
but it looks good if you are at least trying and that is half the fun. I can dress like Sam Elliot in Tombstone as I was leaving my wife said I looked like I stepped out of the movie I knew I had arrived at the look I wanted. Gus McCall SASS # 3836

thesupremeking

Post by thesupremeking » Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:02 pm

Finally got into reloading 45 Colt and picked up my first revolver. Uberti Cattleman 5.5"
Thought I'd share with you fine folks! :D

Wrangler
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland

Post by Wrangler » Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:30 pm

If you are limited on guns look for an NCOWS (National Congress of Old West Shootist) club in your area. They are very common in Texas. They have a rifle and pistol class that is great if you are just starting out.
When I walk through the valley of the shadow of death I take along Samuel Colt...

TXwaterdog

AMC's "The Walking Dead"

Post by TXwaterdog » Fri Feb 08, 2013 6:11 am

thesupremeking wrote:Finally got into reloading 45 Colt and picked up my first revolver. Uberti Cattleman 5.5"
nice gun!
~ Boston George

thesupremeking

Post by thesupremeking » Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:30 am

TXwaterdog wrote:
thesupremeking wrote:Finally got into reloading 45 Colt and picked up my first revolver. Uberti Cattleman 5.5"
nice gun!
Thanks! I got it on a whim because I've always loved the looks of SAA's. I already have the reloading equipment, and buying a 45 colt was a good excuse to start casting my own bullets. Man it is fun, one of my favorite firearms to shoot. :D

thesupremeking

Post by thesupremeking » Sat Feb 09, 2013 11:09 am

So I'm assuming most of you reload here. And a lot of you probably cast your own projectiles from lead.

Since the 45 colt cartridge was originally designed to shoot old black powder, has anyone tried making their own black powder and reloading with it for your SAA?

I LOVE the idea of being able to produce your own ammo from the ground up. Anyone out here just crazy enough to have tried this?

Jim H
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead
Exit Humanity
Dylan Dog: Dead of Night

Post by Jim H » Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:53 pm

I've been shooting SASS for years and enjoy it. I have a pair of Ruger Vaquero 45 convertibles (each has both a 45 Colt and 45 ACP cylinder) and a Rossi 92 in 454 Casull that handles 45 Colt as well (and is capable of dropping anything in Florida, even if it escapes from the zoo). All well worked over by gunsmiths to stand up to competition and performed flawless (even when I brought friends and all 4 of us shared them for the whole match).

Very forgiving with reloads, and I have data for just about any smokeless, pyrodex or true black powder I can lay my hands on. Have bullet molds and they love wheel weight alloy. Low pressure rounds, the brass requires very little resizing which means I can expect quite a few reloads before discarding.

One other completely unexpected benefit - ammo availability.

Ever since I read Mel Tappen's "Survival Guns" a quarter century ago I've been a firm believer in sticking to military calibers for my serious defensive weapons - 9mm, 45 ACP, 5.56, 7.62x39 & 7.62x51 (my SASS stuff was for fun). Well, those were the first rounds cleared off the shelves. I just hit up my local reload sources yesterday and they were completely sold out of those as well as 40 S&W, 30-30 & 30/06; and had no brass (said their cost for new brass made it unprofitable at this time).

Know what he does have in stock? Cowboy loads - 45 Colt, 44/40, etc. and plenty. I can stop by and pick up a few thousand rounds any time at a reasonable price.

So, it looks like I'm putting all my survival weapons into long term storage, switching my SASS guns into a defensive role, and sticking to archery for everyday marksmanship training and hunting.

These are strange times.
Jim H

Jwhughes3

Post by Jwhughes3 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:15 pm

I used to shoot CAS but eventually tired of spending all my time reloading to blow it all in one day.

I had Ruger Vaquero in .44 magnum (shot specials), an Uberti SAA in .45 LC, and a S&W DA .44 Russian, Rossi 92 lever in .38/.357 and Winchester 1897 12ga. Fun, fun, fun, but work. I think it was more fun to track down period clothing.

What I learned:

1. Caliber makes no difference - its practice and accuracy that will make you a deadly shot.

2. Its possible to shoot as fast as a semi-auto gun using old Cowboy guns if you practice. a lot.

3. Reloading is a good skill to know if SHTF.

4. Get your guns all in the same caliber if possible.

JW

Wormjello

Post by Wormjello » Sat Apr 19, 2014 9:07 am

Shooting cowboy period guns is a lot more fun when you do it on horseback. We started shooting CMSA about a year ago and now it's just part of our lives. Shooting lever action at a gallop is a rush!
Lever 4 Ever!

Jsimmonsgr

Post by Jsimmonsgr » Sat Apr 19, 2014 1:57 pm

TXwaterdog wrote:so back to Cowboy action shooting.. I'm new to the game.. just picked up my own first lever gun.. A Rossi R92 in .44. I'm looking forward to maybe doing a few fun things with it. The cowboy action looks like a blast.. Are there any cowboy shooters here that can clue me into some sub catagories? I'd like to start out with as few guns as possible to begin with.. Can i do just side matches with only a rifle?
Side note, check the stock on your Rossi very carefully, mine came from the factory with a crack running along the rifles tang. I would never have seen it if I hadn't fully stripped the rifle to tune the action.
J.
Gunsmith

Phone 480-217-4742 ( Let me know you are from ZS, I get a LOT of telemarketing calls and might be a bit gruff when I answer.)
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Sic Vis Pacem, Parabellum
Deus Vult
Rule#2 Dont be stingy with ammo, double tap!

Jsimmonsgr

Post by Jsimmonsgr » Sat Apr 19, 2014 2:22 pm

My Babies.

Rossi M-92's
Top one is a blue 16" .45 Colt carbine, bottom one is a stainless 20" .357 mag rifle.
Both have had action jobs to make them run smoother, had the safety replaced with a plug, had the follower replaced with a polished steel follower, and had trigger jobs to drop the pull down to 2.5 lbs.

Uberti Single Action Army's.
Top left is a Taylor & Co. 5.5" in .45 Colt, top right is a Cimmeron 5.5" .45 Colt, bottom is a EMF Dakota 4.75" in .45 Colt.
All three have had action jobs, polished internals, chamfered cylinders, and trigger jobs to lighten the pull to 1.5 lbs.

Just right for going camping in bear country. Taylor & Co. Single Action Army in .45 Colt, with a .45 Colt lever gun, and a 9.5" custom Bowie (9.5" blade in 1/2" 01 tool steel) as backup. I occasionally will also carry the 4.75" EMF in a crossdraw holster on this rig.

I have both 225gr standard hard cast rounds and 325gr +p "bear" loads, the "bear" loads will not load in the revolver, but the Rossi loves 'em. Only drawback is that the "bear" loads KICK, as in like a 12 ga, and are dammed expensive. I also carry 200gr +p Winchester PDX1 ammo in the revolver, for social situations.

P.S. Sorry about the crappy cell pics, they are the only pics I have on these.
J.
Gunsmith

Phone 480-217-4742 ( Let me know you are from ZS, I get a LOT of telemarketing calls and might be a bit gruff when I answer.)
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Sic Vis Pacem, Parabellum
Deus Vult
Rule#2 Dont be stingy with ammo, double tap!

Return to “General Firearms Discussion”