Who else has Hi-point guns?

General discussions regarding topics that aren't covered in one of the other sub-forums. NO DISCUSSION OF POLITICS!

Moderators: ZS Global Moderators, ZS Postal Match Officers

User avatar
Tomcat1066
* * * * *
Posts: 3792
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2005 10:27 pm
Location: Southwest GA
Contact:

Post by Tomcat1066 » Fri May 25, 2007 3:30 pm

ashwednesday wrote:There are some extremely decent guns for $250 to $400 if you keep an eye out.
Just to back up this statement, I got my CZ-75B, two 15 round mags, and a locking padded case for it, all for $350. I could have gotten three Hi Points for that price, but instead I wanted something I could trust my life to.

So tell me, what's your life worth? ;)

Tom
And the general consensus of who I am?
Doctor Z. wrote: D. Tomcat ends up drinking some form of frothy, fermented, adult beverage from Lordrahl’s skull.
:twisted:
I like it :mrgreen:

User avatar
LittleLebowski
BANNED
Posts: 801
Joined: Tue Jan 09, 2007 12:50 pm
Location: NoVA
Contact:

Post by LittleLebowski » Fri May 25, 2007 3:49 pm

There were used police-trade-in Glock 19s on Glocktalk last month for $350 shipped.

Ash, I thought you were full of shit initially but you made some good points on this thread so I won't rip on your bracelet in your avatar anymore :D Feel free to rip on the one armed Marine, interesting update to my arm's saga coming...

User avatar
CaptainZ
* * *
Posts: 557
Joined: Thu Apr 28, 2005 10:02 am
Location: Utah

Post by CaptainZ » Fri May 25, 2007 3:59 pm

I had both a hi point in .380 and in 40 s&w. In the beginning both were fantastic. I could shoot as fast as I wanted and they wouldnt jam. Great accuracy and fun to shoot. Once I hit the 750rd mark in the .40, I began to get multiple failure to ejects. Like 1 out of every 3 rounds or 3 per mag. The spent casing would be jammed inbetween the next round trying to feed and the slide.

I sent it back to hi point and they replace springs and such. I took it back to the range and it worked flawlessly for about 50rds. I had had enough by that point that I just decided to sell it. The .380 was okay. Occasionaly would jam up but no where near as often as the .40

All in all I wouldnt use it for everyday use or even in a paw situation. It wasnt even a fun gun to shoot as it failed so many times that I hated going to the range with it. Sold both of em.
Zombies man.....They creep Me out. - Dennis Hopper Land Of The Dead

User avatar
TravisM.1
* * * * *
Posts: 5316
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2006 1:29 am
Location: Earth, home world of the pizza bagel

Post by TravisM.1 » Fri May 25, 2007 7:14 pm

I had a Hi-Point carbine. It wasn't a bad little gun. It shot well enough that I could kill groundhogs with it to around 30 yards or so (farm junkpile groudhogs- no need for a HB varmint rig for that), I shot a few rabbits with it also. It fed reliably and never failed to go bang.

If I needed a gun, and it was what I had, I wouldn't hesitate to use one.
Just because it isn't South American CQB-ready doesn't mean its terrible.
I sold my soul to the devil for a .45, a black cowboy hat and a switchblade knife.......

User avatar
LittleLebowski
BANNED
Posts: 801
Joined: Tue Jan 09, 2007 12:50 pm
Location: NoVA
Contact:

Post by LittleLebowski » Fri May 25, 2007 8:02 pm

The carbines get good reviews, the pistols not so good.

User avatar
TravisM.1
* * * * *
Posts: 5316
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2006 1:29 am
Location: Earth, home world of the pizza bagel

Post by TravisM.1 » Fri May 25, 2007 10:37 pm

LittleLebowski wrote:The carbines get good reviews, the pistols not so good.
Yeah, thats the word on the street.

Not that it makes the carbines any less ugly, heavy for their size, and better handling, but at least they work.
I sold my soul to the devil for a .45, a black cowboy hat and a switchblade knife.......

User avatar
Nightside_Eclipse
* * * * *
Posts: 2962
Joined: Thu Nov 04, 2004 11:28 pm
Location: Albany, GA, USA
Contact:

Post by Nightside_Eclipse » Sat May 26, 2007 1:30 am

If there was 10 guys coming at me with knives and baseball bats and there was a Hi Point pistol and a large-ish stone sitting next to me....








I might pick up the Hi Point. :lol:
Image

Erik
* * * * *
Posts: 5261
Joined: Sat Nov 04, 2006 4:12 pm
Location: Asheville, NC

Post by Erik » Sat May 26, 2007 3:13 pm

TravisM.1 wrote:
LittleLebowski wrote:The carbines get good reviews, the pistols not so good.
Yeah, thats the word on the street.

Not that it makes the carbines any less ugly, heavy for their size, and better handling, but at least they work.
Heavy?? The carbines weigh nothing! Six pounds!

-Erik

User avatar
Jeriah
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Posts: 18722
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2005 4:12 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: Original Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead 04, and 28 Days Later are my top three, in that order.
Location: Chicago, IL
Contact:

Post by Jeriah » Sun May 27, 2007 1:05 pm

Erik wrote:
TravisM.1 wrote:
LittleLebowski wrote:The carbines get good reviews, the pistols not so good.
Yeah, thats the word on the street.

Not that it makes the carbines any less ugly, heavy for their size, and better handling, but at least they work.
Heavy?? The carbines weigh nothing! Six pounds!

-Erik
A Sub2K weighs 4lb. I'd say that weighing half again as much as something that does the same job at least as well makes them heavy for their size/caliber.

Light is expensive, heavy is cheap. They both work. It's a question of whether you're willing to spend the money to get a lighter carbine.

(Off topic trivia: when Fairchild Republic was designing the A-10 Thunderbolt II, they had a rule, that they wouldn't make any lightening cuts if it cost more than, IIRC, $1 per pound of weight saved. The result was an aircraft that was heavier than it needed to be, but some say that the excess material contributes to its toughness.)
Image

User avatar
phoenixmastm
* * * * *
Posts: 4436
Joined: Tue Dec 05, 2006 2:26 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (both versions), Land of the Dead, Undead, 28 weeks later.
Location: Chicago (again...)
Contact:

Post by phoenixmastm » Sun May 27, 2007 3:11 pm

Jeriah wrote:(Off topic trivia: when Fairchild Republic was designing the A-10 Thunderbolt II, they had a rule, that they wouldn't make any lightening cuts if it cost more than, IIRC, $1 per pound of weight saved. The result was an aircraft that was heavier than it needed to be, but some say that the excess material contributes to its toughness.)
And it can still out maneuver most other planes out there :D.
Up onto the overturned keel
Clamber, with a heart of steel
Cold is the ocean spray
And your death is on it's way
With maidens you've had your way
EACH MUST DIE SOME DAY

- Viking battle chant

User avatar
Tomcat1066
* * * * *
Posts: 3792
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2005 10:27 pm
Location: Southwest GA
Contact:

Post by Tomcat1066 » Sun May 27, 2007 3:23 pm

The A-10 is big, mean, and ugly...and damn they're sweet! Unlike the Hi Points we have been discussing, although the carbine is actually a decent weapon from my understanding (which predates this thread). Their pistols make good paperweights, and that's about it.

Tom
And the general consensus of who I am?
Doctor Z. wrote: D. Tomcat ends up drinking some form of frothy, fermented, adult beverage from Lordrahl’s skull.
:twisted:
I like it :mrgreen:

User avatar
TravisM.1
* * * * *
Posts: 5316
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2006 1:29 am
Location: Earth, home world of the pizza bagel

Post by TravisM.1 » Sun May 27, 2007 3:23 pm

Jeriah wrote:
Erik wrote:
TravisM.1 wrote:
LittleLebowski wrote:The carbines get good reviews, the pistols not so good.
Yeah, thats the word on the street.

Not that it makes the carbines any less ugly, heavy for their size, and better handling, but at least they work.
Heavy?? The carbines weigh nothing! Six pounds!

-Erik
A Sub2K weighs 4lb. I'd say that weighing half again as much as something that does the same job at least as well makes them heavy for their size/caliber.
My point exactly. Not that the Hi-Point carbine isn't a decent gun.
I sold my soul to the devil for a .45, a black cowboy hat and a switchblade knife.......

User avatar
Jeriah
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Posts: 18722
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2005 4:12 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: Original Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead 04, and 28 Days Later are my top three, in that order.
Location: Chicago, IL
Contact:

Post by Jeriah » Sun May 27, 2007 4:15 pm

TravisM.1 wrote:
Jeriah wrote:
Erik wrote:
TravisM.1 wrote: Yeah, thats the word on the street.

Not that it makes the carbines any less ugly, heavy for their size, and better handling, but at least they work.
Heavy?? The carbines weigh nothing! Six pounds!

-Erik
A Sub2K weighs 4lb. I'd say that weighing half again as much as something that does the same job at least as well makes them heavy for their size/caliber.
My point exactly. Not that the Hi-Point carbine isn't a decent gun.
Not at all; I was originally prejudiced against it because it's so damned ugly, but by all accounts it's a totally effective rifle/carbine, if about 150% as heavy as it needs to be, and hideously ugly. I'd rather have a Sub2K, even for the price, but I've got nothing against the Hi-Point.
Image

Erik
* * * * *
Posts: 5261
Joined: Sat Nov 04, 2006 4:12 pm
Location: Asheville, NC

Post by Erik » Sun May 27, 2007 5:48 pm

Jeriah wrote: (Off topic trivia: when Fairchild Republic was designing the A-10 Thunderbolt II, they had a rule, that they wouldn't make any lightening cuts if it cost more than, IIRC, $1 per pound of weight saved. The result was an aircraft that was heavier than it needed to be, but some say that the excess material contributes to its toughness.)
YES! I love the Warthog! It's ugly as poop and tough as nails! Come to think of it, that also describes the Hi-Point carbine!

Hey Travis, you seem to be quite the Hi-Point carbine expert. How many of them have you owned?

-Erik

bigboyJ
* *
Posts: 176
Joined: Tue Oct 10, 2006 5:37 pm
Location: Canon City,CO

Post by bigboyJ » Sun May 27, 2007 6:33 pm

I have just bought a Hi-point 9mm pistol its a nice little gun heavy tho.

User avatar
hometown slugger
* * *
Posts: 532
Joined: Thu May 24, 2007 10:11 pm
Location: on your roof, ripping the shit out of your shingles

Post by hometown slugger » Sun May 27, 2007 7:05 pm

I enjoy shooting the carbine, I hated the original stock made it feel weighty and un-comfortable, it kicked a lot for a carbine. But once I added a ATI sotck http://www.atigunstocks.com/product-hipoint.html I thought that it was very comfortable, It took away a lot of the recoil. It increased the accuracy, and IMO it dropped a pound in weight. I have never had a jam with it and I have never cleaned it. I added a dot scope to it recently and I love it even more. I give it a A+ 8)

User avatar
TravisM.1
* * * * *
Posts: 5316
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2006 1:29 am
Location: Earth, home world of the pizza bagel

Post by TravisM.1 » Sun May 27, 2007 10:33 pm

Erik wrote: Hey Travis, you seem to be quite the Hi-Point carbine expert. How many of them have you owned?

-Erik
Owned one, shot quite a few. The carbines I've had experience with all worked well, the pistols not so well.
ETA- I should point out that the pistols I'd shot had been produced a few years ago, and weren't current production. I havent fired a HP pistol in probably five years.

The guy at the shop where I bought mine told me that it was the first one he'd sold, and I hadn't seen any others around before that. Theres a good chance I had the one of, if not the, first one in my county.

I wouldn't say I'm an expert by any means, though.
I sold my soul to the devil for a .45, a black cowboy hat and a switchblade knife.......

Beowolf1911
* * *
Posts: 658
Joined: Wed May 16, 2007 5:38 pm
Location: Backwoods Pennsylvania

Post by Beowolf1911 » Sun May 27, 2007 11:29 pm

I own a 995 9mm carbine with the ATI stock and a dot sight it si a good cheap gun. That is not to say that it is a great gun. It is fun to shoot fairly reliable and accurate up to 100 yards. It is my wife's main gun and the recoil is non-existant. If you are serious about the carbine and it will be a primary gun spend more money and get a Beretta. But if you want a fun project get a 995 they are a blast and cheap to shoot. The high point pistols have a bad habit of not hiting the primer hard enough. I am a member of the hi point forum and the more I read about how these guys love there HP pistols the more I hate them. they brag about firing 200 rnds with out a jam. I put 200 rounds out of my 1911 almost every week and I have had only 1 jam and that was because it was an old wet round. I got my 1911 used for 200 it is a norinco and I love it. I would grab that before any of my more expencive guns save the AK. If you want a good inexpensive pistol and have any knowledge about them look at the used gun rack you will get more for your buck, and you wont have to put 300 rnds through it to break it in.
When a man says never or always he is usually wrong

User avatar
ashwednesday
* * * * *
Posts: 1048
Joined: Thu Mar 29, 2007 10:25 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, Zombieland, Dawn of the Dead remake, Shaun of the Dead
Location: Minnesota
Contact:

Post by ashwednesday » Thu May 31, 2007 2:39 am

Tomcat1066 wrote:
ashwednesday wrote:There are some extremely decent guns for $250 to $400 if you keep an eye out.
Just to back up this statement, I got my CZ-75B, two 15 round mags, and a locking padded case for it, all for $350. I could have gotten three Hi Points for that price, but instead I wanted something I could trust my life to.

So tell me, what's your life worth? ;)

Tom
Atta' boy. I really do like CZ 75 pistols. I like the ergonomics better than that of the Beretta, and the safety goes the right way. I've always got my eye out for one in a compact version at a price I can live with.

User avatar
ashwednesday
* * * * *
Posts: 1048
Joined: Thu Mar 29, 2007 10:25 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, Zombieland, Dawn of the Dead remake, Shaun of the Dead
Location: Minnesota
Contact:

Post by ashwednesday » Thu May 31, 2007 2:46 am

LittleLebowski wrote:There were used police-trade-in Glock 19s on Glocktalk last month for $350 shipped.

Ash, I thought you were full of shit initially but you made some good points on this thread so I won't rip on your bracelet in your avatar anymore :D Feel free to rip on the one armed Marine, interesting update to my arm's saga coming...
What about my bracelet!??!!

LL, just focus on healing. Feuding with me over inconsequentials will come naturally over time; it's what the internet is for (that and porn). Had I known you were a Marine, I would've probably kept my mouth shut. I have been following news of your recuperation. Hang in there.

The bracelets (plural) are of 14 gauge stainless steel. I made them myself from bicycle spokes. In the pre-zombocalypse world, I'm a humble bicycle mechanic.
bentspokes.com

User avatar
Jeriah
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Posts: 18722
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2005 4:12 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: Original Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead 04, and 28 Days Later are my top three, in that order.
Location: Chicago, IL
Contact:

Post by Jeriah » Thu May 31, 2007 8:45 pm

ashwednesday wrote:
LittleLebowski wrote:There were used police-trade-in Glock 19s on Glocktalk last month for $350 shipped.

Ash, I thought you were full of shit initially but you made some good points on this thread so I won't rip on your bracelet in your avatar anymore :D Feel free to rip on the one armed Marine, interesting update to my arm's saga coming...
What about my bracelet!??!!

LL, just focus on healing. Feuding with me over inconsequentials will come naturally over time; it's what the internet is for (that and porn). Had I known you were a Marine, I would've probably kept my mouth shut. I have been following news of your recuperation. Hang in there.

The bracelets (plural) are of 14 gauge stainless steel. I made them myself from bicycle spokes. In the pre-zombocalypse world, I'm a humble bicycle mechanic.
bentspokes.com
Very nice. I've tried to think of good uses for old spokes; had a hard time thinking of much, but I always suspected there were some good uses for 'em out there.
Image

Beowolf1911
* * *
Posts: 658
Joined: Wed May 16, 2007 5:38 pm
Location: Backwoods Pennsylvania

Post by Beowolf1911 » Thu May 31, 2007 10:07 pm

I know a few guys who love the HP pistols ( I am a member of their forum) the only one who's oppinion I can vouch for goes shooting with me about once a week. He got the HP 9MM as his first auto. He was a huge wheel gun man but never got into auto's. We we talking about it last weekend and he still says he liked it as a starter point but wouldn't buy one again. He sold it and now owns a CZ 83, a Bersa Thunder and a Sig 232 all in .380 also a Bersa Firestorm. All in all the cheap HP go thim to get into a new phase and have a lot of fun.
When a man says never or always he is usually wrong

User avatar
Tomcat1066
* * * * *
Posts: 3792
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2005 10:27 pm
Location: Southwest GA
Contact:

Post by Tomcat1066 » Thu May 31, 2007 10:10 pm

ashwednesday wrote: Atta' boy. I really do like CZ 75 pistols. I like the ergonomics better than that of the Beretta, and the safety goes the right way. I've always got my eye out for one in a compact version at a price I can live with.
It's the best feeling firearm I've ever handled. Hell, my next pistol will be another CZ :D

Tom
And the general consensus of who I am?
Doctor Z. wrote: D. Tomcat ends up drinking some form of frothy, fermented, adult beverage from Lordrahl’s skull.
:twisted:
I like it :mrgreen:

Post Reply

Return to “General Firearms Discussion”