...WOW, what do you think of this video?

General discussions regarding topics that aren't covered in one of the other sub-forums. NO DISCUSSION OF POLITICS!

Moderators: ZS Global Moderators, ZS Postal Match Officers

Raven927

...WOW, what do you think of this video?

Post by Raven927 » Mon Nov 27, 2006 2:44 pm

http://www.spikedhumor.com/articles/685 ... nting.html

Dad teaching his toddler son to shoot, what do you think about it?
crypto wrote:The Ruger Hokey-Pokey

YOU PUT THE MAGAZINE IN
YOU TAKE THE MAGAZINE OUT
YOU TURN IT UPSIDE-DOWN AND THEN YOU SHAKE IT ALL ABOUT
YOU YELL SOME MOTHERFUCKERS THEN YOU BEAT THE SPRING BACK OUT
THATS-WHAT-ITS-ALL-ABOUT!

Dave_M
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Dave_M » Mon Nov 27, 2006 3:03 pm

I think this maybe should be in off-topic
Dave Merrill
Instructor for MilCopp Tactical LLC.

Rifle first. Rifle last. Rifle always.
Civilian Scout wrote:No one buys a Taurus because it's the best option available.

zombievt

Post by zombievt » Mon Nov 27, 2006 3:16 pm

The little guy seemed to be enjoying himself and you've got to give props to dad for spending time with his son.

That being said, shooting a firearm puts all kind of nasty stuff, like lead, into the air that the little guy really doesn't need to be exposed to.

randomusername
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by randomusername » Mon Nov 27, 2006 3:20 pm

I think any parent should wait until the child can knowingly, willingly and intelligently determine what they want to do for themselves for something this serious.

Erik

Post by Erik » Mon Nov 27, 2006 4:47 pm

I think it's preposterous. Not that I mind that kids learn how to use guns, but someone that has just learned how to walk is NOT learning anything from this. At best, it's a ridiculous waste of time. At worst, you're having a kid fire a weapon that's old enough to realize shooting a gun is fun, but not old enough to realize shooting a gun can be dangerous. Wait till this kid's ten or something.

Also, +1 to Sandman's comments.

-Erik

One Of None
Location: Homebrewing.... Disguise your drinking problem as a hobby!

Post by One Of None » Mon Nov 27, 2006 5:05 pm

Probaly should at least wait until they are out of diapers.... :roll: No eye protection either. Surprised the kid didn't get hit in the face by the slide. Two thumbs down.
http://www.deadseasonmusic.com/music" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Click me, crank me, buy me.
Dead Season has bubble gum. But they're still here to kick ass.
Your ass.
squinty wrote:
Sometimes I like it rough, I like the way it kicks me. But I need to have as much in the tube as possible - I'm a big bore capacity whore - so three inchers just won't do it for me.

orphan40

Post by orphan40 » Mon Nov 27, 2006 5:11 pm

I think he's just having some fun. The kid seems to be enjoying himself. It's not like this guy takes his son out every other day and teaching him to shoot. It was probably a one-time thing that the father would try out to see if his son would liked it. Granted shooting a gun is different than watching a fireworks display, but as long as he had fun, I don't see the difference.

edit: I didn't notice the lack of eye protection. That's the only thing I'd take issue with.
Wilford Brimley wrote:They may end up having to cut my foot off, but gawddamn that was a good cupcake.
Margaret Thatcher wrote:Sure Hitler was a prick, but his dog loved him.

Firedan
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland, Dawn of the Dead 04, Shaun of the Dead, I am Legend

Post by Firedan » Mon Nov 27, 2006 8:15 pm

orphan40 wrote:I think he's just having some fun. The kid seems to be enjoying himself. It's not like this guy takes his son out every other day and teaching him to shoot. It was probably a one-time thing that the father would try out to see if his son would liked it. Granted shooting a gun is different than watching a fireworks display, but as long as he had fun, I don't see the difference.

edit: I didn't notice the lack of eye protection. That's the only thing I'd take issue with.
I too am thinking that it was maybe a one time thing. Like maybe dad and buddies were at the range and mom and baby just stopped by and before you know it, "hey wouldn't this be cute...." Ultimately a bad idea: as previously stated the lack of eye protection and lead exposure are very dangerous, but it is not for me to say how this guy should raise his kid.

It's just as bad as when new "mommies" bring their infant to the horse stables and pop them up on "Sugar" for a horsey back ride or better yet when a motorhead dad takes his strapping baby boy out for a Sunday ride in the 1970 Chevelle - on his lap while he's driving. I pulled that guy over not too long ago. Mommy thing at the horse farm happens everytime another one of them pops out a kid. Like him or not, Steve Irwin was a guy that I have tremendous respect for. He introduced both of his kids to the crocs at a very early age and drew major heat for it. It's just a wierd "this is what you're destined to do" moment that all new parents seem to have. I don't have kids but I see it daily at work. I went to one house once where this guy had a baby in a carrier ontop of a baby grand piano as he played because he wanted to get him started young. :roll: They all do it.

Anywho, it's just parents bonding with their kids, to each his own as long as no one gets hurt - But I wouldn't recommend it. ;)
Regards,

Dan

AEnemia

Post by AEnemia » Mon Nov 27, 2006 8:53 pm

It's not something I'd choose to do with my kid (if I had one)... Then again, I wouldn't choose to teach him/her any sort of religion, either. A lot of people would dissagree with that.

Ultimately I don't think it's my place to judge.

The kid looks like he's having fun though, and dad seemed to have the situation pretty well under control. :) No harm done.

ninty

Post by ninty » Mon Nov 27, 2006 10:11 pm

I don't think I would teach a kid until he can support the weapon by himself, and can aim the weapon himself and can actually understand whats going on.

Raven_Thunder
Favorite Zombie Movies: Severed, NOTLD, DOD '04, 28 Days Later, 28 Weeks Later

Books: Day by Day Armagedon

Post by Raven_Thunder » Wed Nov 29, 2006 3:29 pm

Sandman wrote:I think any parent should wait until the child can knowingly, willingly and intelligently determine what they want to do for themselves for something this serious.
I love zombies...

Guns require you to be on the ball and knowledgable about what you are doing. I understand exposing the child to firearms but I'm skeptacle on having them fire them until they are about 11 or so.
In Before the 18 y/o Only Rule (Yeah, That Long Ago)
Gone but Never Forgotten: HK33K "Pat"
Makarov wrote: So, you're worst nightmare is waking up in a strange bed, seeing Chuck lying next to you wearing a minuscule thingy, doing a stripe while humming "Sweet child of mine"?

Squirrley

Post by Squirrley » Wed Nov 29, 2006 5:34 pm

AEnemia wrote:It's not something I'd choose to do with my kid (if I had one)... Then again, I wouldn't choose to teach him/her any sort of religion, either. A lot of people would dissagree with that.

Ultimately I don't think it's my place to judge.

The kid looks like he's having fun though, and dad seemed to have the situation pretty well under control. :) No harm done.
[quote="ninty']I don't think I would teach a kid until he can support the weapon by himself, and can aim the weapon himself and can actually understand whats going on.[/quote]

ditto and ditto. its not like the guys some redneck tryin to get his kid to go around shootin things, he had the situation under controll, and he was teachign the kid good firearm use (besides eyeprotection). from what we heard of mom, she was trying to instill good firearm ethics in the kid too. but, he did seem a bit young. learning what kind of guns you can safely fire is part of good firearm use, too. but hey no one got shot an they werent acting stupid, i cant really complain. its not like the title of the video implies, 'bad parenting' i expected some little kid with a shotgun tryin to shoot skeet an shooting the truck instead or something stupid like that.

doc66

Post by doc66 » Wed Nov 29, 2006 5:58 pm

*tongue in cheek here*

An armed society is a polite society.

Just think of the polite k-grade teacher at his school.

*done with the quip*

He's too young, and thankfully he did enjoy it. I'm glad of that rather than like some folks do and shove a 3 1/2 inch mag in the ol' single shot and then laugh as the thing booms out of the kids hands, thus spoiling a potental new shooter forever.

We need to teach people that shooting is fun, but at the age when they can accept the responsibility of the devistating power of the firearm.

Doc
http://www.milcopptactical.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

mattman42

Post by mattman42 » Wed Nov 29, 2006 9:48 pm

Nobody was in any significant danger, the kid had fun and no one got hurt. Doesn't seem like a problem to me. However, eye protection would be a good choice.

Grin Reaper

Post by Grin Reaper » Wed Nov 29, 2006 11:21 pm

Probaly should at least wait until they are out of diapers....
That was the rule my buddy and I came up with:
Me -- "So, when are you going to start taking Wyatt to the range?"
Buddy -- "When I stop hearing 'Daddy! Come wipe my butt!' from the damn bathroom."

Clown Hunter D

Post by Clown Hunter D » Thu Nov 30, 2006 12:56 am

doc66 wrote:I'm glad of that rather than like some folks do and shove a 3 1/2 inch mag in the ol' single shot and then laugh as the thing booms out of the kids hands.
I seem to remember my father doing almost exactly that. Only difference is that I still love shooting them.
Saving the world from the clutches of... whatever.
Rus wrote:Is it just me, or is getting info on sniping from the NYT kinda like getting info on chastity from Paris Hilton?

Return to “General Firearms Discussion”