Firearms CHAT: [insert chat title here]

General discussions regarding topics that aren't covered in one of the other sub-forums. NO DISCUSSION OF POLITICS!

Moderators: ZS Global Moderators, ZS Postal Match Officers

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Firearms CHAT: [insert chat title here]

Post by NT2C » Sun Jun 07, 2020 2:41 pm

I can't believe that no one started a new firearms chat after I closed the old one. Slackers!
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Re: Firearms Chat: [insert chat title here]

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Sun Jun 07, 2020 3:01 pm

NT2C wrote:
Sun Jun 07, 2020 2:41 pm
I can't believe that no one started a new firearms chat after I closed the old one. Slackers!
I didn't want to do it because the last time I started a new CHAT, ZS went down. :gonk:

That and I couldn't come up with a clever title. :lol:

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Sun Jun 07, 2020 3:15 pm

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
Sun Jun 07, 2020 3:01 pm
NT2C wrote:
Sun Jun 07, 2020 2:41 pm
I didn't want to do it because the last time I started a new CHAT, ZS went down. :gonk:

That and I couldn't come up with a clever title. :lol:
I almost started a poll to pick a title but I think polls in the Firearms subs require a more skilled hand than mine. Someone more experienced with firearms polls. Maybe The Twizzler... :crazy:

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Sun Jun 07, 2020 3:18 pm

CHAT must be capitalized here on ZS. It's like a rule.

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Sun Jun 07, 2020 3:44 pm

Getting the ball rolling on F/A CHAT, I replaced the forend on my 870 the other day.

Took maybe twenty minutes (so it was more like five minutes actually installing the new forend and 15 trying to get the factory one off because I went the wrong direction trying to loosen it at first and the fact the nut was on really tight.) total and now my 870 looks way better. Now I can add a light to it without having to spring for a mount that goes on the barrel or the mag extension.

All I need is an Mlok compatible mount and I'll be good to go.

I also got my order from Ruger (I picked up a Troy Industries QD sling mount and swivel) and got the parts installed on my AR and AK. Thanks to a 25 dollar off gift certificate I've had for six years, my order total came down from 40 bucks to 16 bucks. :clap:

Also, I somehow got banned from the Classic Firearms buyers group on Facebook. I asked Classic Firearms why and I got the generic "Oh, you must have posted something that went against the rules. We can't tell you exactly what it was, so pound sand." explanation.

Oh well, that group went from talking about guns to troll posts and political stuff real quick and the admins were really inconsistent on enforcing the rules, so I'm not missing out on much. Still would've been nice to know what the hell it was that I may have done to get banned, though.

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Sun Jun 07, 2020 4:33 pm

MPMalloy wrote:
Sun Jun 07, 2020 3:18 pm
Well, chit... :ohdear:

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Sun Jun 07, 2020 5:13 pm

NT2C wrote:
Sun Jun 07, 2020 4:33 pm
MPMalloy wrote:
Sun Jun 07, 2020 3:18 pm
Well, chit... :ohdear:
I saw what you did there.

Good one :wink:

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Re: Firearms CHAT: [insert chat title here]

Post by RickOShea » Mon Jun 08, 2020 9:58 am

I think I started the last three gun chats. I figured it was someone else's turn.

----------------------------------------------

Mud test: .308 Galil...

whisk.e.rebellion wrote: It's not what you say anymore. It's how you say it.
Sumdood wrote:Welcome to 2020. I would list all the rules here, but there are too many and most of them are made up as we go. Just be prepared to be punished for something.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Mon Jun 08, 2020 10:13 am

RickOShea wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 9:58 am
I think I started the last three gun chats. I figured it was someone else's turn.

----------------------------------------------

Mud test: .308 Galil...

I almost bought one of those. I might still one of these days.

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Mon Jun 08, 2020 2:18 pm

I guess we'll need some new terms for "Fudds" and "Fudd guns".....

The Guardian - 'We're not doing guns': Elmer Fudd loses his wight to bear arms

Bugs Bunny’s enemies Fudd and Yosemite Sam have been stripped of their weapons in the relaunched Looney Tunes cartoon series....

They have been disarmed? Who by? Warner Bros, which has just relaunched Looney Tunes, the cartoon series in which they appeared, with a new collection of shorts streaming on HBO Max....

If they are not doing guns, what are they doing? There is still plenty of “cartoon violence”, Browngardt says reassuringly, acknowledging that the whole thing is based on conflict. So there’s dynamite and explosions, while Elmer’s shotgun has been replaced with a scythe.

Sumdood wrote:Welcome to 2020. I would list all the rules here, but there are too many and most of them are made up as we go. Just be prepared to be punished for something.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Mon Jun 08, 2020 3:09 pm

RickOShea wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 2:18 pm

Bugs Bunny’s enemies Fudd and Yosemite Sam have been stripped of their weapons in the relaunched Looney Tunes cartoon series....

They have been disarmed? Who by? Warner Bros, which has just relaunched Looney Tunes, the cartoon series in which they appeared, with a new collection of shorts streaming on HBO Max....

If they are not doing guns, what are they doing? There is still plenty of “cartoon violence”, Browngardt says reassuringly, acknowledging that the whole thing is based on conflict. So there’s dynamite and explosions, while Elmer’s shotgun has been replaced with a scythe.

Yeah, because Elmer Fudd chasing after Bugs Bunny with a scythe is less violent than a gun. :roll:

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Mon Jun 08, 2020 4:13 pm

RickOShea wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 2:18 pm

What the everlovinfuk? That shit is going to give the kiddies nightmares. Plus now we know that overweight, geriatric will never, ever catch Bugs.

Hopefully somebody posted this in Not The Onion. The site has been getting many articles a day lately.
You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

Langenator
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, Zombieland, Shaun of the Dead (and Larry Correia's Monster Hunter series if they ever make them into movies)

Post by Langenator » Mon Jun 08, 2020 4:47 pm

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
Sun Jun 07, 2020 3:44 pm
Getting the ball rolling on F/A CHAT, I replaced the forend on my 870 the other day.

Took maybe twenty minutes (so it was more like five minutes actually installing the new forend and 15 trying to get the factory one off because I went the wrong direction trying to loosen it at first and the fact the nut was on really tight.) total and now my 870 looks way better. Now I can add a light to it without having to spring for a mount that goes on the barrel or the mag extension.

All I need is an Mlok compatible mount and I'll be good to go.

I also got my order from Ruger (I picked up a Troy Industries QD sling mount and swivel) and got the parts installed on my AR and AK. Thanks to a 25 dollar off gift certificate I've had for six years, my order total came down from 40 bucks to 16 bucks. :clap:

Also, I somehow got banned from the Classic Firearms buyers group on Facebook. I asked Classic Firearms why and I got the generic "Oh, you must have posted something that went against the rules. We can't tell you exactly what it was, so pound sand." explanation.

Oh well, that group went from talking about guns to troll posts and political stuff real quick and the admins were really inconsistent on enforcing the rules, so I'm not missing out on much. Still would've been nice to know what the hell it was that I may have done to get banned, though.
Speaking of shotgun forends and lights, does anyone have any experience with the Streamlight forend light? (TL Racker)? My 870 is currently wearing a Surefire 918FA which is 17 years old. And proper batteries are no longer available. So I need a whole new light for it, and the current Surefire version is expensive. I know it's good, but dang Surefire is proud of their lights.
Fortunis Fortus Paratus

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Mon Jun 08, 2020 5:59 pm

Langenator wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 4:47 pm
Speaking of shotgun forends and lights, does anyone have any experience with the Streamlight forend light? (TL Racker)? My 870 is currently wearing a Surefire 918FA which is 17 years old. And proper batteries are no longer available. So I need a whole new light for it, and the current Surefire version is expensive. I know it's good, but dang Surefire is proud of their lights.
At a $400 MSRP they list for more than my shotgun did. :shock:

May I suggest an alternative of a good shotgun specific mount from CDM Gear: http://cdmgear.com/bmtseriesmounts.html (I think their ROC-12 would work for you)

Then just go with whatever weapon light that suits you or that you already might have. It'll be a lot easier on your wallet.

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Mon Jun 08, 2020 10:24 pm

NT2C wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 5:59 pm
Langenator wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 4:47 pm
At a $400 MSRP they list for more than my shotgun did. :shock:

May I suggest an alternative of a good shotgun specific mount from CDM Gear: http://cdmgear.com/bmtseriesmounts.html (I think their ROC-12 would work for you)

Then just go with whatever weapon light that suits you or that you already might have. It'll be a lot easier on your wallet.
Midway's got the TL-Racker for about 140 bucks and the SureFire one for about 350. I'd probably go for the Streamlight one since it's about 110 bucks cheaper, which means more money for batteries or ammo.

Which reminds me, I was going through my ammo cans and found one I forgot about. Inside was a couple hundred rounds of 9mm fmj and hollowpoint stuff I forgot I bought from Walmart when they stopped selling handgun ammo. :clap:

BullOnParade
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by BullOnParade » Tue Jun 09, 2020 8:34 am

Anyone ever ordered from Sarco? I'm on the hunt for a 1911 casting because I like to collect bullshit projects ...
BullOnParade

Burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me.

Urban BOB/Range (& Bailout) Bag/EDC/Vehicle Kit

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Tue Jun 09, 2020 9:18 am

BullOnParade wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2020 8:34 am
Anyone ever ordered from Sarco? I'm on the hunt for a 1911 casting because I like to collect bullshit projects ...
I've never ordered from them, but I remember seeing their adds in the gun rags waaay back when I was just a wee lad. I think they've been around for 40 or 50 years.

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Tue Jun 09, 2020 9:52 am

BullOnParade wrote:
Yes. I've ordered from them once, meebee twice. SKS stuff, iirc. Their legit.

BullOnParade
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by BullOnParade » Tue Jun 09, 2020 10:15 am

RickOShea wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2020 9:18 am

I've never ordered from them, but I remember seeing their adds in the gun rags waaay back when I was just a wee lad. I think they've been around for 40 or 50 years.
Yeah, they're website talks about some humble beginnings.
MPMalloy wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2020 9:52 am
Yes. I've ordered from them once, meebee twice. SKS stuff, iirc. Their legit.
Two's good enough for me. Guess I've got another bs project on the list.
BullOnParade

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Tue Jun 09, 2020 2:17 pm

I've never ordered anything from Sarco, but I do like browsing their site and seeing all the stuff they pull from their warehouses.

Not sure if they cared or even saw my email, but I did email them about an ad they had the other day. It was for a WW1 style trench knife (the kind with the knuckles) and the ad stated that they couldn't ship it to Texas due to the laws. I emailed them and said they could ship them to Texas now since the laws in my state had changed and trench knives and knuckles were now legal to own.

So I don't know if they got my email or if they did and they just tossed it without reading it. I guess I'll find out when they run their next ad with the knives in it.

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Tue Jun 09, 2020 2:22 pm

BullOnParade wrote:
I visited there a few times when I lived in Allentown, PA.

PistolPete
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator

Post by PistolPete » Tue Jun 09, 2020 4:01 pm

BullOnParade wrote:
Oddly enough just last week. I ordered two types of magazines and got an email a couple days later that one of them wasn't in stock so they removed it from my order. Haven't gotten the remaining type of mags, so I can't fully comment on my satisfaction.
Steemit, where I write stuff now

Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first.
- Mark Twain

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Tue Jun 09, 2020 6:33 pm

PistolPete wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2020 4:01 pm
BullOnParade wrote:
Oddly enough just last week. I ordered two types of magazines and got an email a couple days later that one of them wasn't in stock so they removed it from my order. Haven't gotten the remaining type of mags, so I can't fully comment on my satisfaction.
It looks like they were honest about their inventories & prompt in their reply.

(that shrug ASCII)

BullOnParade
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by BullOnParade » Tue Jun 09, 2020 7:21 pm

For context, a couple years ago I picked up a slide and a magazine for a colt 1911 in 38 special.

For those of you not familiar, colt made the .38 special national match in the 60s and 70s as a response to the popularity of the S&W model 52 among bullseye shooters. They redesigned the internals, exchanging the locking lug with a straight blowback action, even ribbing the chamber to increase pressure and delay extraction. It's a 1911 in aesthetic only.

Anyways. I bought them not fully understanding the differences in the inner workings, and thinking I could drop in or slightly modify an existing frame. Now I'm thinking it would be easier to start from either a cast/roughed frame, or just buy a block of 4140.

I want to get back into bullseye competitions, the peek competition locally is a match called a 2700, three series of 9 targets, 3 targets in slow fire, 3 timed fire, 3 rapid fire. One series in rimfire, one series in a center fire of your choice, one series in .45. I'd love to have a set of three 1911s, .22, .38, .45. I may be chasing a dragon if I can't find a colt made frame, but it feels like a worthy chase ... I found a set of prints, I have machining experience, and I have access to good manual machines, and friends with CNC machines. In theory, I can do this from scratch. Just not sure if I want to go that far down the rabbit hole, a casting might be easier.
Last edited by BullOnParade on Tue Jun 09, 2020 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BullOnParade

Return to “General Firearms Discussion”