Covid-19 Leads to Surge of Guns & Ammo Sales

General discussions regarding topics that aren't covered in one of the other sub-forums. NO DISCUSSION OF POLITICS!

Moderators: ZS Global Moderators, ZS Postal Match Officers

FlashDaddy
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: All the Milla movies and Shaun of the Dead
Location: There's no place I can be since I've found (hoosier) Serenity.

Covid-19 Leads to Surge of Guns & Ammo Sales

Post by FlashDaddy » Sun Mar 15, 2020 9:03 pm

Stores across the United States hardly can keep hand sanitizer and toilet paper on their shelves, and sales of guns, ammunition and tactical wear also have surged during the coronavirus pandemic, according to media reports.

The growing number of cases in the country has led people to buy guns for the first time, a California gun shop owner told KTVU-TV.
Most of the guns Larry Hyatt, the owner of Charlotte’s Hyatt Guns, is selling are of the self-defense variety — including AR-15s, he told BuzzFeed.
There has been a large uptick in gun sales among Asian Americans, Dennis Lin, owner of Gun Effects and Cloud 9 Fishing, told KABC. He said some Asian Americans are being targeted because of their race.

Read more here: https://www.sacbee.com/news/nation-wor ... rylink=cpy
- Flash

Browncoat, food & H2O storing Dad. "I don't care, I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me."
"Freedom is not a gift bestowed upon us by other people or the majority, it's a right that belongs to all of us."

Stercutus

Re: Covid-19 Leads to Surge of Guns & Ammo Sales

Post by Stercutus » Sun Mar 15, 2020 9:50 pm

He said some Asian Americans are being targeted because of their race.
Curious. Do you have any media accounts of this actually happening?
You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Twilight... making zombies of our future generations

Post by JeeperCreeper » Mon Mar 16, 2020 1:26 am

Good news about this is my "anti-gun" family is asking me for advice on this pandemic situation as they are freaking out... Nothing like emotional/fear driven changes of heart

That's a statement of experience verses a political statement.
They see me trollin', they hatin'.... keyboardin' tryna catch me typin' dirty
Halfapint wrote:There are some exceptions like myself and jeepercreeper.... but we are the forum asshats. We protect our positions with gusto
zero11010 wrote:The girlfriend is a good shot with a 10/22.
Her secondary offense will be nagging.

DarkAxel
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Evil Dead Series, Dawn of the Dead, Shawn of the Dead, NOTLD, Resident Evil Series

Post by DarkAxel » Mon Mar 16, 2020 6:54 am

Stercutus wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 9:50 pm
A quick Google search for "Coronavirus racism" brings up multiple reports from multiple news outlets.
vyadmirer wrote:Call me the paranoid type, but remember I'm on a post apocalyptic website prepared for zombies.
Fleet #: ZS 0180

Browncoat

Imma Fudd, and proud of it.

ZS Wiki

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Mon Mar 16, 2020 8:33 am

DarkAxel wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 6:54 am
Stercutus wrote:
A quick Google search for "Coronavirus racism" brings up multiple reports from multiple news outlets.
Most of them seem to go back to one report on the subway of a homeless black man attacking an Asian woman. Now I have been told that by the elite in America that black people can't be racist. Therefore the attack could not have been racism.

There is also a bit of discussion about people not going to Chinese restaurants. This is weird because restaurant business is way down over the whole country, regardless of what kind of food they are selling.

I guess it is likely that in a nation of 330 million people that some are going to go full retard. I am just not seeing or hearing much of it.
You go over and under
I go through

FlashDaddy
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by FlashDaddy » Mon Mar 16, 2020 8:47 am

Stercutus wrote:
Here is a news item from 2 days ago with multiple reports

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/more- ... r-BB11aly3
- Flash

Browncoat, food & H2O storing Dad. "I don't care, I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me."
"Freedom is not a gift bestowed upon us by other people or the majority, it's a right that belongs to all of us."

norcalprep

Post by norcalprep » Mon Mar 16, 2020 9:25 am

Stercutus wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 8:33 am
DarkAxel wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 6:54 am
Stercutus wrote:
Most of them seem to go back to one report on the subway of a homeless black man attacking an Asian woman. Now I have been told that by the elite in America that black people can't be racist. Therefore the attack could not have been racism.

There is also a bit of discussion about people not going to Chinese restaurants. This is weird because restaurant business is way down over the whole country, regardless of what kind of food they are selling.

I guess it is likely that in a nation of 330 million people that some are going to go full retard. I am just not seeing or hearing much of it.
There hasn't been much mainstream coverage, likely because (thankfully) there are not many violent ones yet. But it's definitely happening. A quick list is here. People with broken jaws, one 16 year old kid sent to the ER, it's more that just a few people going full retard.

But it's also more than just that. There is an increasing number of racist acts that, even though it is non-violent now doesn't mean the dam will break and it will be violent soon. The site http://nextshark.com used to be mostly a simple culture sharing site, but now latest news have just been about experienced xenophobia. Other forums I go to are awash with members' experiences, too. I know I'm getting my share of stares and whispers in stores, but nothing overt yet. I'm always carrying now, and even daily carrying my pocket blow out kit, which I didn't usually do. All my mags used for training are now reloaded with JHPs. The fear is real.

I didn't need to buy more guns and ammo since I have a good stock, but my friend called me yesterday from the store asking for advice what to buy. He picked up a p365xl, but barely could get any ammo. It is one of the biggest stores in the region and he said they were slammed and the display cases were bare. I tried to offer him sites online for ammo, but they're mostly bare, too.

Regarding not going to chinese restaurants, yes, business across the board is way down now, but out of necessity. Back in Jan and Feb, it was only Chinese restaurants being avoided likely out of racism, not necessity, with people calling into their local TV or radio stations asking if they can get "that chinese virus" from eating chinese food. In LA, somebody posted a few thousand fake notices around town with the WHO logo saying all chinese restaurants are now closed. Business plummeted and people got laid off. Not violent enough for mainstream media to pick up, but the racism is definitely having a real life effect.

Zed Hunter

Post by Zed Hunter » Mon Mar 16, 2020 10:37 am

I'm sitting on a fortune.

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Mon Mar 16, 2020 10:46 am

Not sure about "people with broken jaws", nobody on that list has a broken jaw.
There is an increasing number of racist acts that, even though it is non-violent now doesn't mean the dam will break and it will be violent soon.
I am going to have to agree. Unless you were trying to write something else.
The fear is real.
Absolutely. As always you need to take appropriate measures to ensure your personal safety. I am just unsure about the linkage of large increase in gun sales to a small minority group that has registered less than ten racist acts of violence against them in a country of 300M people. You are talking about winning the lottery type odds of that happening to you personally.
You go over and under
I go through

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Mon Mar 16, 2020 1:22 pm

People can disagree with what I'm about to say, and I'm fine with that. My experience is not the same as everyone else's.

I don't think there is much true "racism" out there. But I define "racism" as thinking "one race is better than another." What I've been seeing for the last 5 years or so looks more like "mental health problems using racist language." I've been threatened with violence and cussed at by people for my race since I was a child. But were any of those people truely racist? I really don't think so. Homeless people, people getting food at soup kitchens, people getting food or services at other volunteering sites, or people with court mandated contact with the government, all tend not to be in the greatest health, mentally. Many of them are literally crazy or otherwise not in their right mind. Media reports of "racism" have mostly fallen (in my eyes) into the buckets of "sounds like a mentally ill person doing their thing" or "sounds like an honest mistake" to me. I'm not saying "racism doesn't exist," I just don't see much real racism. I see a lot of mental health issues causing people to use ALL sorts of language and behave in all sorts of odd ways in public. I really don't care if some crazy person truely thinks I'm evil because of my race.

Now, honestly, someone who says "oh! An Asian person! I wonder if they have a virus!" That actually gets pretty close to my definition of racism. It might still be said by mentally ill people, or sane people. I would arm up too if I was currently being targeted or facing "heightened scrutiny." But I'm armed most days anyway.

So what is my point? I really don't think "racism" is all that wide spread in America. I do think there are a number of people with mental health problems (or are borderline mentally ill who just need a stresser to kick them over the edge) who can and do act out based on a number of triggers. To me, that is useful because it identifies what I think is the real threat and lets me be prepared.

But maybe I'm just swimming in different pools than other people in this thread.

The people I've encountered who are genuinely racist and mostly mentally healthy are people who don't say a word against me and find ways to express racism which are very socially acceptable. They use language and actions which give them perfect cover. Those people are not physical threats, they are simply economic or career threats. Again, the people who are physical threats, in my experience, are mentally off balance, and can get violent for many different reasons.

Just my experience.
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Mon Mar 16, 2020 1:39 pm

Question: Given that people returning from visiting China (generally visiting family) were the initial carriers who brought the virus into the West Coast, is it really "racist" in the usual sense to be wary of people of Asian extraction, at least in the beginning stages? It's a form of racial profiling, yes, but when does it cross the line from being acceptable to unacceptable, or is it always unacceptable?

That "racist" tag is pretty damning when it gets slapped on something, and I'm not arguing that it shouldn't be, but when do we let it override our instinct for self-preservation?
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the Courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who would pervert the Constitution. - A. Lincoln

PistolPete
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator

Post by PistolPete » Mon Mar 16, 2020 1:41 pm

My favorite local shop was looking a little sparse on Saturday and they were down to 20 - 25% of their normal offerings of AR's. While I was there a dude came in with his girlfriend to buy one of the last ones they had left, and he knew nothing about them.

As well, SG Ammo has halted sales, so there is certainly panic buying going on!
Steemit, where I write stuff now

Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first.
- Mark Twain

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Mon Mar 16, 2020 2:57 pm

Stercutus wrote:
I have not seen this but again we are at the stage of the epidemic where fear is driving everything. This reminds me of the wild Katrina stories about all manner of things that in the light of the day turned out to be irrational. false and simply bad BS.

For the record this is not TEOTWAWKI. FOr those who are wondering about when the ROL will end I would direct them to this thread.

http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... =6&t=60213

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Mon Mar 16, 2020 2:59 pm

PistolPete wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 1:41 pm
My favorite local shop was looking a little sparse on Saturday and they were down to 20 - 25% of their normal offerings of AR's. While I was there a dude came in with his girlfriend to buy one of the last ones they had left, and he knew nothing about them.

As well, SG Ammo has halted sales, so there is certainly panic buying going on!
WOW my local supplier also
I'm sorry to report that, in response to overwhelming demand, we have suspended retail sales and new dealer accounts. We will resume both as soon as we feel we are able.
If you have already placed an order, there is nothing you need to do but wait. We will fill your order as quickly as we can, but it may take weeks.
Thank you for your understanding.
https://angelfireammo.com
Not all those who wander are lost

John Titor was right <--- :ohdear: Way past the point of going gray man. See you on the other side ( or not :wink: )

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Mon Mar 16, 2020 3:13 pm

raptor wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 2:57 pm
Stercutus wrote:
I have not seen this but again we are at the stage of the epidemic where fear is driving everything. This reminds me of the wild Katrina stories about all manner of things that in the light of the day turned out to be irrational. false and simply bad BS.

For the record this is not TEOTWAWKI. FOr those who are wondering about when the ROL will end I would direct them to this thread.

I agree this is not TEOTWAWKI (yet :shock: ). As bad as Katrina was. And even if you absolutely believe the response/aid was too slow/inadequate. There was a response because most of the country was not affected by the event. What happens when the whole country is a disaster zone ? When first response is overwhelmed nation wide. Things are going to get pretty sporty
Not all those who wander are lost

John Titor was right <--- :ohdear: Way past the point of going gray man. See you on the other side ( or not :wink: )

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Mon Mar 16, 2020 3:24 pm

WOW my local supplier also
I'm sorry to report that, in response to overwhelming demand, we have suspended retail sales and new dealer accounts. We will resume both as soon as we feel we are able.
If you have already placed an order, there is nothing you need to do but wait. We will fill your order as quickly as we can, but it may take weeks.
Thank you for your understanding.
https://angelfireammo.com
Don't worry, as soon as they get the new price list worked up they will be back up and running.
You go over and under
I go through

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Mon Mar 16, 2020 4:00 pm

flybynight wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 3:13 pm
Things are going to get pretty sporty
That is exactly why I reposted this thread. It deals with "sporty" times.
The key lesson from this thread is that when the sporty times end there are going to be people asking hard questions about the actions taken during those days.

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Mon Mar 16, 2020 4:04 pm

raptor wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 4:00 pm
flybynight wrote:
Things are going to get pretty sporty
That is exactly why I reposted this thread. It deals with "sporty" times.
The key lesson from this thread is that when the sporty times end there are going to be people asking hard questions about the actions taken during those days.
I have a pretty simple governing principle that should work for such times. If your direct actions towards me put me in legitimate fear for my life then I'm exercising my legal right to use deadly force. I'll accept whatever fallout comes of that.

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the Courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who would pervert the Constitution. - A. Lincoln

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Mon Mar 16, 2020 8:02 pm

flybynight wrote:
raptor wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 2:57 pm
Stercutus wrote:

For the record this is not TEOTWAWKI. For those who are wondering about when the ROL will end I would direct them to this thread.

I agree this is not TEOTWAWKI (yet :shock: ). As bad as Katrina was. And even if you absolutely believe the response/aid was too slow/inadequate. There was a response because most of the country was not affected by the event. What happens when the whole country is a disaster zone ? When first response is overwhelmed nation wide. Things are going to get pretty sporty.
That is something I posted about the Great Flood of '93. It was only Des Moines that lost it's tap water.

FlashDaddy
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by FlashDaddy » Mon Mar 16, 2020 9:46 pm

This report from a central Indiana shop is on a surge in guns, ammo and gun cleaning supplies that came when the National Emergency was declared last week:

[https://www.wishtv.com/news/local-news/ ... r-weekend/ quote] “When the president declared a national emergency that is when it started for us: a huge influx of folks coming in here to guns, ammo and accessories,” said Greg Burge owner of Beech Grove Firearms.

Over the last 72 hours, the store sold almost 40 percent of its available inventory. For safety reasons the owner is keeping the total number or firearms sold private.

“It has been predominantly ammunition, handguns and home defense-based shotguns. On Friday, we saw an uptick in AR-15 sales,” Burge said.

Every election year ushers in a new round of firearms buyers. During tax season, another round of buyers spend their income-tax refund checks with gun retailers. Add the national emergency declared by President Donald Trump on Friday and a perfect storm reached central Indiana gun retailers.

“Any one product that has shocked me is how much gun cleaning supplies we went through. That tells me that folks are kind of planning for this emergency or this crisis this country has found itself in. I think they are thinking long-term,” Burge said.[/quote]

More at link: https://www.wishtv.com/news/local-news ... r-weekend/

EDIT: I just have to add this article too, because of coverage of many areas across America, a great “it’s just Flu” quote and this
Three minutes before the store’s closing Sunday, first-time gun purchaser Anna Carreras was one of the remaining customers, waiting to see what inventory was left.

“It’s not like an active panic, more a preoccupation with making sure everyone is adequately prepared, myself and family and friends,” she said. “Better to be prepared and not need it than need it and not have it.”
Well said!
Much more at link
https://www.latimes.com/world-nation/s ... california
- Flash

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Wed Mar 18, 2020 3:05 am

Don't worry guys, ammo production is being stepped up:

aikorob

Post by aikorob » Wed Mar 18, 2020 4:29 am

Swung by local Academy Sports last night..........
greeted by the sound of the wind whistling through the empty shelves, and tumble weeds blowing down the bare aisles

NO
9mm
.223/5.56
maybe a dozen boxes of 12/20 gauge ammo
Plenty of .22
OK selection of hunting calibers--- .243, 30-06, 30-30, 6.5, .300
I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they’ve always worked for me.

PistolPete
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator

Post by PistolPete » Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:47 am

aikorob wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 4:29 am
greeted by the sound of the wind whistling through the empty shelves, and tumble weeds blowing down the bare aisles

NO
9mm
.223/5.56
Plenty of .22
Same at the Academy and Cabelas in my area on Monday night, except Cabelas had some of the more expensive 223 still. Between the two stores there were about 2,000 total primers as well, so the reloaders hit the stores as well. It went fast!
Steemit, where I write stuff now

Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first.
- Mark Twain

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Wed Mar 18, 2020 12:11 pm

PistolPete wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:47 am
aikorob wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 4:29 am

NO
9mm
.223/5.56
Plenty of .22
Same at the Academy and Cabelas in my area on Monday night, except Cabelas had some of the more expensive 223 still. Between the two stores there were about 2,000 total primers as well, so the reloaders hit the stores as well. It went fast!
Some of that was small shop owners clearing the shelves so they didn't get caught as short as in the last few panics. But also Walmart quit selling all of those calibers last year, with some stores stopped ammo altogether. With a smaller brick store inventory available what discount stores do have goes much faster.
You go over and under
I go through

Return to “General Firearms Discussion”