Firearms Chat: [REDACTED - for your safety]

General discussions regarding topics that aren't covered in one of the other sub-forums. NO DISCUSSION OF POLITICS!

Moderators: ZS Global Moderators, ZS Postal Match Officers

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Re: Firearms Chat: Yeet Cannon 2 Electric Boogaloo

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Sun Feb 16, 2020 9:26 pm

I hear you on that, Woods.

From what little I know about PSA guns, they're usually pretty good out of the box. I know their first run AKs had some issues, but that was mainly in regards to the trunnions being cast instead of forged. Once they switched over to forged trunnions, everything was good to go.

I don't foresee them having much of a problem with their Glock clone. I figure if anything goes wrong within the first generation of them, PSA will fix them quickly and make sure no other issues pop up in the later generations.

Langenator
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, Zombieland, Shaun of the Dead (and Larry Correia's Monster Hunter series if they ever make them into movies)

Post by Langenator » Mon Feb 17, 2020 7:43 am

Speaking of PSA guns, I made a couple of fixes to my KS-47 and I think I've got the issues ironed out.

Problems:
1) Firing pin working it's way past the firing pin retaining pin under recoil
2) Light strikes, approaching 1 round in 5 using Wolf ammo

Solutions:
1) Replace the firing pin with a so-called 'enhanced' firing pin. My google-fu found that light strikes were not uncommon with 7.62x39 ARs, due to harder Russian primers. The 'enhanced' firing pin is just slightly longer than the standard AR firing pin to compensate. Also, a visual comparison of the FP that came with the gun showed that the flange that was supposed to catch on the retaining pin was visibly narrower than those from some of my other ARs, even one built from a PSA build kit. The enhanced firing pin from Black Rifle Arms solved both issues.

2) Wolff extra power hammer spring. Double tap on the light strike issue. I also found when removing the original hammer spring (I bought the lower assembled) that one of the spring legs was bent, which likely resulted in a reduction in hammer striking force. Made me wonder if PSA accidentally hired an escaped assembly monkey from Century.

Put 40 rounds through it between myself and my oldest yesterday with no further issues. Now I'm waiting on these to come back in stock.
Fortunis Fortus Paratus

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Twilight... making zombies of our future generations

Post by JeeperCreeper » Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:55 pm

PSA stuff is always my go to.

On another note, the sad thing about this whole Remington dropping Bushmaster, DPMS, and others...

Is the dropping of the ACR (I want Magpul to take back the rights and make it as good as it needs to be ala CZ Bren or Beretta APX)

And not having a standard for AR10s
They see me trollin', they hatin'.... keyboardin' tryna catch me typin' dirty
Halfapint wrote:There are some exceptions like myself and jeepercreeper.... but we are the forum asshats. We protect our positions with gusto
zero11010 wrote:The girlfriend is a good shot with a 10/22.
Her secondary offense will be nagging.

boskone

Post by boskone » Tue Feb 18, 2020 11:33 pm

JeeperCreeper wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:55 pm
This has mostly been what keeps me from getting an MSR in 6.5CM.

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Wed Feb 19, 2020 12:22 am

JeeperCreeper wrote:

On another note, the sad thing about this whole Remington dropping Bushmaster, DPMS, and others...

Is the dropping of the ACR (I want Magpul to take back the rights and make it as good as it needs to be ala CZ Bren or Beretta APX)

The ACR used to be the Magpul Masada, right ?

I used to have an older issue of Shotgun News (or maybe it was Guns and Ammo) that had an article about it when Magpul was the ones bringing it to market.

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by JeeperCreeper » Wed Feb 19, 2020 12:32 am

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 12:22 am
JeeperCreeper wrote:

The ACR used to be the Magpul Masada, right ?

I used to have an older issue of Shotgun News (or maybe it was Guns and Ammo) that had an article about it when Magpul was the ones bringing it to market.
Yepppppp as far as I know. I think it was an amazing platform that was ruined via committee/corporation. Basically like all GM cars hahahaha
Halfapint wrote:There are some exceptions like myself and jeepercreeper.... but we are the forum asshats. We protect our positions with gusto

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Wed Feb 19, 2020 3:39 pm

Having driven a new to me '97 Chevy Silverado for about two hours before it crapped out on me, I can attest to GM vehicles not being great. My brother Pete is a mechanic (he's worked for Chevy, Dodge and I think Ford dealers as well)and he avoids GM like the plague (or the Coronavirus, if we want to bring it up to date.).

Having my truck basically die on me sucked because I really liked that truck too. Ah well, I sold it to a guy from Corpus Christi and bought a new laptop with the money, so I guess it worked out in the end. Guy got a project like he wanted and I needed a new laptop more than a truck at the time anyway.

As for the ACR/Masada, it'd be cool if Magpul could buy back the rights to it now that Bushmaster is just a memory. I bet they've been waiting for this moment for awhile now.

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Wed Feb 19, 2020 7:12 pm

Just bought a used Hi-Point JCP .40 S&W. I have no idea why. :?

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Wed Feb 19, 2020 7:35 pm

MPMalloy wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 7:12 pm
How much did you pay for it ?

My oldest nephew used to want a 9mm Hi-Point, but I think he's moved on and now wants one of those PSA PSA Glock clones.

And I don't blame him because I want one too. :lol:

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by JeeperCreeper » Wed Feb 19, 2020 8:41 pm

MPMalloy wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 7:12 pm
Problem solver.... Nice!!!!

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Wed Feb 19, 2020 9:00 pm

Who was it here on ZS that used to collect Hi-Points and had a large number of them ?

I know they had early models, which were neat, as well the newer models, but I can't for the life of me remember who they were.

boskone

Post by boskone » Wed Feb 19, 2020 9:10 pm

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 3:39 pm
As for the ACR/Masada, it'd be cool if Magpul could buy back the rights to it now that Bushmaster is just a memory. I bet they've been waiting for this moment for awhile now.
Is the ACR actually...I dunno...good? There was a ton of press when it was the Masada, then it seemed to just vanish. I actually thought it was vaporware.

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Wed Feb 19, 2020 10:22 pm

boskone wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 9:10 pm
12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
Is the ACR actually...I dunno...good? There was a ton of press when it was the Masada, then it seemed to just vanish. I actually thought it was vaporware.
Honestly, I have no idea. I've never been able to find one in my AO, so I have no idea if it's good or not.

I've held the CZ Bren and it feels nice as does the IWI Galil Ace. Both are a bit above my budget at the moment, though.

I think I'll probably add another AR and AK to my collection before I add either one of those rifles. Matter of fact, PSA has a two rifle bundle (AR and AK) that I'm considering purchasing at some point.

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Wed Feb 19, 2020 10:58 pm

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 10:22 pm
boskone wrote:
12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
Honestly, I have no idea. I've never been able to find one in my AO, so I have no idea if it's good or not.

I've held the CZ Bren and it feels nice as does the IWI Galil Ace. Both are a bit above my budget at the moment, though.

I think I'll probably add another AR and AK to my collection before I add either one of those rifles. Matter of fact, PSA has a two rifle bundle (AR and AK) that I'm considering purchasing at some point.
The IWI Galil Ace was my #2 choice behind a JRA M14, followed by the BM59. I shopped around and bid on three of them in three different auctions but they always went for more than my budget, which is why I ended up with my BM59 and digital scope with night vision.

now I just need to come up with another $150 to get the mount for it for that gun :oops:
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

Current Weather in My AO

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Wed Feb 19, 2020 11:44 pm

I kind of want to get a side mount for my AK so I can either mount my TRS-25 or another optic. I know I could probably put an optic on my gas tube, but I'm not sure if the ones I currently own would get fried from the heat.

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by JeeperCreeper » Wed Feb 19, 2020 11:49 pm

boskone wrote:
12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
I think it had a lot of potential before its competitors were even on the drawing board. But all the promises of conversions and barrel swaps and aftermarket support all fell flat.

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Thu Feb 20, 2020 2:13 am

Chimp, Jeeper, et al: I paid $125.00, OTD. No box, no papers, two mags. My elbow is flaring up, so holding it outstretched hurts. I'd rather try a G23, but I can't swing those $$$, atm. Just something to try. If it doesn't work out (or just doesn't work), HP's warranty gets 5-stars from what I hear & I don't have much into it.

I have a C9. I got it as a sacrificial carry. I find Hi-Points are entry-level, on all levels. :wink:

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by JeeperCreeper » Thu Feb 20, 2020 2:26 am

MPMalloy wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 2:13 am
Chimp, Jeeper, et al: I paid $125.00, OTD. No box, no papers, two mags. My elbow is flaring up, so holding it outstretched hurts. I'd rather try a G23, but I can't swing those $$$, atm. Just something to try. If it doesn't work out (or just doesn't work), HP's warranty gets 5-stars from what I hear & I don't have much into it.

I have a C9. I got it as a sacrificial carry. I find Hi-Points are entry-level, on all levels. :wink:
I love my HiPoint. Solid pistol. I use mine to experiment with.

I actually had a thread on here years ago I got flamed for cuz I called it the ultimate apocalypse pistol in regards to the nasty corroded ammo I would feed it. Jammed all my other 45's including a Ruger p90 and a revolver.

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Thu Feb 20, 2020 10:43 am

JeeperCreeper wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 2:26 am
MPMalloy wrote:

I actually had a thread on here years ago I got flamed for cuz I called it the ultimate apocalypse pistol in regards to the nasty corroded ammo I would feed it. Jammed all my other 45's including a Ruger p90 and a revolver.
I've been thinking about revolvers in 9mm, .40, .45. Price-points are painful. Hi-Points would do well in the zpaw but I think overall wheelies are more apoc-friendly than shufflers, imo.

(Note to Self: Don't just play the Lotto...WIN! :D)

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Thu Feb 20, 2020 1:45 pm

MPMalloy wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 10:43 am
JeeperCreeper wrote:
MPMalloy wrote:

I've been thinking about revolvers in 9mm, .40, .45. Price-points are painful. Hi-Points would do well in the zpaw but I think overall wheelies are more apoc-friendly than shufflers, imo.

I think Charter Arms makes a relatively affordable 9mm revolver (just don't buy it from the hardware store in my town. Bastards want almost 600 bucks for a 300 dollar pistol.) called the Pitbull or Bulldog or some other canine name.

I'd love a nice double action .45 ACP revolver, though. Either a Model 1917 or something similar. Originals are outrageous in price and the repros are pretty close in price as well.

Though I'd rather pay up for a modern repro with stronger metallurgy than the originals.

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by JeeperCreeper » Thu Feb 20, 2020 2:31 pm

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 1:45 pm
MPMalloy wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 10:43 am
JeeperCreeper wrote:
MPMalloy wrote:

I think Charter Arms makes a relatively affordable 9mm revolver (just don't buy it from the hardware store in my town. Bastards want almost 600 bucks for a 300 dollar pistol.) called the Pitbull or Bulldog or some other canine name.

I'd love a nice double action .45 ACP revolver, though. Either a Model 1917 or something similar. Originals are outrageous in price and the repros are pretty close in price as well.

Though I'd rather pay up for a modern repro with stronger metallurgy than the originals.
The issue with most semi cartridges in a revolver is the need for moon clips. I think charter has a way to use them without clips in a DA/SA. Taurus has a few and a convertible, but needs moon clips. Same with the new Armscor. You lose it break the clips, you're done.

Ruger seems to have solved it the best with it's SA only with a separate cylinder that has a machined lip to hold the rounds. I have a 45 Blackhawk Convertible.

Then they have the Redhawk that can shoot 45LC or 45 auto with clips. If you break the clips, then it's just a 45 LC.

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Thu Feb 20, 2020 4:47 pm

Doesn't the 9x19 have a slightly tapered case? I think that could lend itself to a 9x19 revolver that doesn't use moon clips, but extraction would be difficult.

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

Current Weather in My AO

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Thu Feb 20, 2020 5:36 pm

I think the Charter Arms guns have a proprietary deal in the cylinder that holds the 9mm cases without the need for moon clips. I haven't had an opportunity to handle one to be certain, but I'm probably going to hit up the local Academy some time this month so if they have one, I'll check and get back to y'all on it.

And I think the 9mm is slightly tapered, but I'm not sure. I've got a spent 9mm case on my bookshelf right now and it does have a slight taper towards the bottom. Not sure if it's supposed to be like that or if it's because it's a once fired case.

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Thu Feb 20, 2020 5:58 pm

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 5:36 pm
I think the Charter Arms guns have a proprietary deal in the cylinder that holds the 9mm cases without the need for moon clips. I haven't had an opportunity to handle one to be certain, but I'm probably going to hit up the local Academy some time this month so if they have one, I'll check and get back to y'all on it.

And I think the 9mm is slightly tapered, but I'm not sure. I've got a spent 9mm case on my bookshelf right now and it does have a slight taper towards the bottom. Not sure if it's supposed to be like that or if it's because it's a once fired case.
I found this which is a nice discussion of it.

Current Weather in My AO

Return to “General Firearms Discussion”