Firearms Chat: [REDACTED - for your safety]

General discussions regarding topics that aren't covered in one of the other sub-forums. NO DISCUSSION OF POLITICS!

Moderators: ZS Global Moderators, ZS Postal Match Officers

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Re: Firearms Chat: Yeet Cannon 2 Electric Boogaloo

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Tue Jan 28, 2020 1:00 am

JeeperCreeper wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 12:46 am
PistolPete wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 12:04 pm
I picked up a 10.5" 50 Beowulf upper and got a chance to test fire it over the weekend. I ran it on a pistol lower. First shot I smacked myself in the face with the iron sight. That pistol brace puts my face a lot closer to the action than a typical stock. And it seems it recoils a bit more than 556. :lol:

I moved the sight up one notch on the pic rail and that worked much better! It makes big holes.
What brand upper? I'm considering a 50 or 450 Bushy for moose this year...

In other news for the brain trust...

Also, just won a raffle for a rifle.... Budget 6.5 creedmor predator Mossberg Patriot. Haven't gotten a chance to pick it up yet, but excited for a prize gun.

Anyone have thoughts on one??
Congrats on winning the raffle, JC. :clap:

I've been entering contests for guns for the past decade and I've yet to win anything. I'm hoping my luck will change one day, but if not, I'm good.

All the contests I enter are free anyway, so it's not like I'm spending a lot of money on them.

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Twilight... making zombies of our future generations

Post by JeeperCreeper » Tue Jan 28, 2020 1:39 am

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 1:00 am
JeeperCreeper wrote:
PistolPete wrote:
I picked up a 10.5" 50 Beowulf upper and got a chance to test fire it over the weekend. I ran it on a pistol lower. First shot I smacked myself in the face with the iron sight. That pistol brace puts my face a lot closer to the action than a typical stock. And it seems it recoils a bit more than 556. :lol:

I moved the sight up one notch on the pic rail and that worked much better! It makes big holes.

Also, just won a raffle for a rifle.... Budget 6.5 creedmor predator Mossberg Patriot. Haven't gotten a chance to pick it up yet, but excited for a prize gun.

Congrats on winning the raffle, JC. :clap:

I've been entering contests for guns for the past decade and I've yet to win anything. I'm hoping my luck will change one day, but if not, I'm good.

All the contests I enter are free anyway, so it's not like I'm spending a lot of money on them.
It's the first time I've won anything!! Probably the last too...

It was at a charity banquet so it did cost me some money to play for guns, but I made it ahead of you subtract the price of expensive drinks hahaha
They see me trollin', they hatin'.... keyboardin' tryna catch me typin' dirty
Halfapint wrote:There are some exceptions like myself and jeepercreeper.... but we are the forum asshats. We protect our positions with gusto
zero11010 wrote:The girlfriend is a good shot with a 10/22.
Her secondary offense will be nagging.

PistolPete

Post by PistolPete » Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:25 am

JeeperCreeper wrote:

It's Midway's house brand, they were running the 10.5 upper on sale a couple weeks ago. Seems accurate enough in initial testing, but seems to be overgassed with the two loads I tried, which were Underwood 300 and 325's. I'm running a H2 buffer and a red heavy Sprinco spring, maybe it needs an H3 buffer. Runs perfect but ejection is around 2 o'clock.
Steemit, where I write stuff now

Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first.
- Mark Twain

boskone

Post by boskone » Tue Jan 28, 2020 8:17 pm

AvE on YouTube BOLTRed a PC9.

The actual disassembly starts 'round about 2:30. There's some commentary worth ignoring, especially his opinion on the inherent accuracy of 9mm and pistols, but the part where he actually gets into things is pretty interesting.

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by JeeperCreeper » Tue Jan 28, 2020 9:16 pm

PistolPete wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:25 am
JeeperCreeper wrote:

It's Midway's house brand, they were running the 10.5 upper on sale a couple weeks ago. Seems accurate enough in initial testing, but seems to be overgassed with the two loads I tried, which were Underwood 300 and 325's. I'm running a H2 buffer and a red heavy Sprinco spring, maybe it needs an H3 buffer. Runs perfect but ejection is around 2 o'clock.
AR stoner, which I believe is made by Bear Creek... Or at least some are. Which is the brand I'm eyeballing!!
Halfapint wrote:There are some exceptions like myself and jeepercreeper.... but we are the forum asshats. We protect our positions with gusto

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:36 pm

Didn't Classic Firearms used to sell Bear Creek ARs a couple years ago ?

I seem to recall seeing a bunch of their stuff on Classic's website, but it could've been another brand with Bear in the name.

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by JeeperCreeper » Tue Jan 28, 2020 11:54 pm

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:36 pm

I seem to recall seeing a bunch of their stuff on Classic's website, but it could've been another brand with Bear in the name.
I know they did ... If I remember, they used to be Morris Machine or something and had lots of issues, then classic starting pushing them when the company turned itself around and changed names.

Then I think they started doing well and moved on from Classic.

Then... There was the ICE raid, but I don't think it turned up anything. Haha

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Wed Jan 29, 2020 12:52 am

JeeperCreeper wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 11:54 pm
12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:

I know they did ... If I remember, they used to be Morris Machine or something and had lots of issues, then classic starting pushing them when the company turned itself around and changed names.

Yeah, I remember that ICE raid. I figured that's why I hadn't seen much of their stuff on Classic's website lately.

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by JeeperCreeper » Wed Jan 29, 2020 1:09 am

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 12:52 am
JeeperCreeper wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 11:54 pm
12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:

Yeah, I remember that ICE raid. I figured that's why I hadn't seen much of their stuff on Classic's website lately.
I don't have any evidence, but I don't think Classic is a pillar of ethics so I really doubt they care about legalities of any of their suppliers hahahaha

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Wed Jan 29, 2020 1:05 pm

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 1:00 am

I've had a little luck with the raffles put on by the local high school's marching band and sports teams. The ones where its $1 per ticket or six for $5. I've won a Rem 870 express with a 21" vent rib Rem choke barrel....and another time I won 100 pounds of steaks and hamburger. :awesome:
whisk.e.rebellion wrote: It's not what you say anymore. It's how you say it.
Sumdood wrote:Welcome to 2020. I would list all the rules here, but there are too many and most of them are made up as we go. Just be prepared to be punished for something.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

BullOnParade
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by BullOnParade » Wed Jan 29, 2020 6:48 pm

JeeperCreeper wrote:
PistolPete wrote:

I like 6.5cm in theory, but a 3000 round barrel life is my biggest turn off. That and I'll never really shoot anywhere where it gets to show off. From my understanding, it's par with .308 under 3-400 yards. Lots of guys love them in the prairies, where you watch your dog run away for three days.
BullOnParade

Burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me.

boskone

Post by boskone » Wed Jan 29, 2020 8:18 pm

JeeperCreeper wrote:

Dad's got one, both of us really like it.

I view it as a growed-up .243: flat-shooting, (relatively) mild recoil, and accurate. IMO, .243 and 6.5CM are highly complementary rounds, with .243 petering out around where 6.5CM really starts to shine.

You'll get maybe 1,000-1,500 rounds less through the barrel than .308, but that's still 2,500-3,000 rounds. Ammo's also less common than .308, but around here not by much.

PistolPete

Post by PistolPete » Thu Jan 30, 2020 10:56 am

BullOnParade wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 6:48 pm
I like 6.5cm in theory, but a 3000 round barrel life is my biggest turn off. That and I'll never really shoot anywhere where it gets to show off. From my understanding, it's par with .308 under 3-400 yards. Lots of guys love them in the prairies, where you watch your dog run away for three days.
Eh, if i have spent $3k on ammo to burn out a barrel the $400 cost to rebarrel doesn't seem terrible. I'm not smitten with 6.5 CM, it seems like a niche cartridge that got popular. Burns less powder than 308 or 243 and has less energy than 308 at ranges that 95% of people shoot at. I like it as a deer round for youth, although personally I prefer 7mm-08 or 243 for that. But it's a good enough round for mid size game in my area.

And yes, I've got one. I haven't found it any more accurate than 308, but I'm not shooting at extreme distances. Overall I've heard good things about the Mossberg rifles.

Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first.
- Mark Twain

Langenator
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, Zombieland, Shaun of the Dead (and Larry Correia's Monster Hunter series if they ever make them into movies)

Post by Langenator » Thu Jan 30, 2020 1:11 pm

So, other than fitting in shorter actions, including the AR-10 platform, can someone explain what the 6.5CM does that the 6.5 Swede doesn't?
Fortunis Fortus Paratus

PistolPete

Post by PistolPete » Thu Jan 30, 2020 5:24 pm

Langenator wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 1:11 pm
So, other than fitting in shorter actions, including the AR-10 platform, can someone explain what the 6.5CM does that the 6.5 Swede doesn't?
Get inked, beardy guys excited enough to make youtube videos?

- Mark Twain

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Thu Jan 30, 2020 9:50 pm

Sumdood wrote:Welcome to 2020. I would list all the rules here, but there are too many and most of them are made up as we go. Just be prepared to be punished for something.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Thu Jan 30, 2020 11:11 pm

A thumb operated trigger....

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Fri Jan 31, 2020 12:39 am

So, do you or don't you let that buddy who's "all thumbs" use this? :?
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

Current Weather in My AO

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Sat Feb 01, 2020 8:21 pm

Did anyone else get an email from Armslist about their 'gram & fb accounts being "gone"?

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Sat Feb 01, 2020 8:49 pm

MPMalloy wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 8:21 pm
Did anyone else get an email from Armslist about their 'gram & fb accounts being "gone"?
Nope, but that's mostly because I don't have an account with them.

I wonder if FB or Instagram did to them like they did the guys from MAC on YouTube.

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Sat Feb 01, 2020 9:44 pm

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 8:49 pm
MPMalloy wrote:

I wonder if FB or Instagram did to them like they did the guys from MAC on YouTube.
MAC was able to get their Instagram account reinstated a couple days later but, IIRC, they were never given a reason why it was taken down in the first place. They started a 2nd MAC "back-up" account, just in case their main one gets taken down again without notice.

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Sat Feb 01, 2020 10:23 pm

RickOShea wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 9:44 pm
12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 8:49 pm
MPMalloy wrote:

MAC was able to get their Instagram account reinstated a couple days later but, IIRC, they were never given a reason why it was taken down in the first place. They started a 2nd MAC "back-up" account, just in case their main one gets taken down again without notice.
I knew they got reinstated, but I didn't know about their "back up" account.

I'm not much of an Instagram user, so I'm not really in the loop regarding that stuff. I think I'm subscribed to their YouTube channel, but lately YouTube has been weird about unsubscribing folks from channels.

PistolPete

Post by PistolPete » Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:23 am

MPMalloy wrote:
Yep. It's actions like that which have me avoiding IG and FB these days.

- Mark Twain

Langenator
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, Zombieland, Shaun of the Dead (and Larry Correia's Monster Hunter series if they ever make them into movies)

Post by Langenator » Wed Feb 05, 2020 5:03 pm

Question for the Glock folks: I'm looking for a 357 SiG barrel to drop in my G22. Because reasons.

So far my web digging has found Storm Lake and KKM as options, with a price difference of around $5. I've seen mentions about Lone Wolf, but I can't find the 357 Sig barrels on their actual site (Dear Lone Wolf, please add the ability to filter by caliber).

I've found plenty of other manufacturers that don't offer 357 Sig (Faxon, Grey Ghost, ZEV.

Anyone know of any others I haven't found yet?

If Storm Lake and KKM are the only options, any recommendations? I've generally heard good things about both.
Fortunis Fortus Paratus

Return to “General Firearms Discussion”