Firearms Chat: Yeet Cannon 2 Electric Boogaloo

General discussions regarding topics that aren't covered in one of the other sub-forums. NO DISCUSSION OF POLITICS!

Moderators: ZS Global Moderators, ZS Postal Match Officers

PistolPete
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Re: Firearms Chat: Yeet Cannon 2 Electric Boogaloo

Post by PistolPete » Fri Jan 03, 2020 1:25 pm

I really like that Ruger released the 57, nice to see some competition. It also explains why FN was running a special on the original FiveSeven in December, they must have known Ruger's release was emminent. Already we see Speer has released a new 5.7x28 load, so the companies making ammo in this caliber increased 50%!

The round is a bit long to fit into their existing carbine, I believe. Maybe with their neato magwell that swaps they can make it work with thinner plastic or maybe steel, I guess we will see.

I do wish they decided to get on the 22 TCM bandwagon instead of the 5.7, overall TCM has better ballistics and there is already a carbine made for it. I'd love to see that round catch on more.
Steemit, where I write stuff now

Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first.
- Mark Twain

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Fri Jan 03, 2020 2:34 pm

boskone

Post by boskone » Fri Jan 03, 2020 8:02 pm

PistolPete wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 1:25 pm
I do wish they decided to get on the 22 TCM bandwagon instead of the 5.7, overall TCM has better ballistics and there is already a carbine made for it. I'd love to see that round catch on more.
Doesn't/didn't RIA make a 1911-alike in .22TCM?

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Fri Jan 03, 2020 8:55 pm

Chimp: You were right. That one place passed, but another bought it for $350. The didn't want the holster or the ammo, so I might have broke even for once.

ETA: AR-57

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Fri Jan 03, 2020 10:51 pm

MPMalloy wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 8:55 pm
Chimp: You were right. That one place passed, but another bought it for $350. The didn't want the holster or the ammo, so I might have broke even for once.

ETA: AR-57
Glad to hear you were able to sell it, MP.

If I'd have had some spare cash, I'd have made an offer on it, but Christmas kind of depleted my spare cash fund. So I'm unable to make any gun purchases for awhile.

Kind of strange that they didn't want the holster. Most gun shops I've been too usually have a bin or something for used holsters.

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Sat Jan 04, 2020 8:46 pm

I had an interesting time at the range today. I shot my Ruger LC9 and lost my firing pin out the back of the gun twice (out of 2 shots for the day). I think there must be a retaining pin which must have got broken. Since this is my CCW it kinda made my sphincter tighten. I'll be hearing from a gun smith friend for next steps and I might call Ruger.

Lesson: shoot your CCW frequently. Sometimes stuff breaks and you want to know ASAP. Preferably before an incident.

The day was not lost, I got to shoot my other pistol and shoot several pistols belonging to a friend. We intended to do draws from concealment but with my issue, we did HD pistol work with the working pistol and then sighted in some hunting pistols.
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Sat Jan 04, 2020 9:37 pm

Speaking of firing pins, I need to remove the one in my Tokarev, but the retaining pin is like frozen in place. The firing pin and channel are the only places I haven't given a thorough cleaning since I got my Tokarev

I've smacked the hell out of it with a small punch and my gunsmithing hammer, but that thing is not going anywhere. I'm thinking there might be some cosmoline stuck just behind the pin and that's interfering with the removal.

I'll probably have to spray the pin with a little Ballistol and then try to tap it out. All else fails, I pay a visit to my gunsmith friend and see if he can check it out. Might be a good idea anyway since I'm considering having the import safety removed and the resulting holes plugged. Take care of two issues at one time.

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Sat Jan 04, 2020 9:53 pm

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 9:37 pm
Speaking of firing pins, I need to remove the one in my Tokarev, but the retaining pin is like frozen in place. The firing pin and channel are the only places I haven't given a thorough cleaning since I got my Tokarev

I've smacked the hell out of it with a small punch and my gunsmithing hammer, but that thing is not going anywhere. I'm thinking there might be some cosmoline stuck just behind the pin and that's interfering with the removal.

I'll probably have to spray the pin with a little Ballistol and then try to tap it out. All else fails, I pay a visit to my gunsmith friend and see if he can check it out. Might be a good idea anyway since I'm considering having the import safety removed and the resulting holes plugged. Take care of two issues at one time.
Ah, but are you tapping it out from the correct side? You might also try giving it a dunk in a heated ultrasonic cleaner, but if it doesn't come out at that point you risk it rusting. I have a nice commercial grade heated ultrasonic tank that I use for cleaning jewelry and it works very nicely for getting the crud out of my pistols when I want to do a deep cleaning. They're not too expensive on eBay, figure about $100 for a good 6L sized tank, but check the dimensions to be sure it'll work for what you want to clean in it. As for cleaning solution, I mix up a trisodium phosphate (TSP) solution for degreasing guns and it works very well.
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the Courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who would pervert the Constitution. - A. Lincoln

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Sat Jan 04, 2020 10:17 pm

NT2C wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 9:53 pm
12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 9:37 pm

Ah, but are you tapping it out from the correct side? You might also try giving it a dunk in a heated ultrasonic cleaner, but if it doesn't come out at that point you risk it rusting. I have a nice commercial grade heated ultrasonic tank that I use for cleaning jewelry and it works very nicely for getting the crud out of my pistols when I want to do a deep cleaning. They're not too expensive on eBay, figure about $100 for a good 6L sized tank, but check the dimensions to be sure it'll work for what you want to clean in it. As for cleaning solution, I mix up a trisodium phosphate (TSP) solution for degreasing guns and it works very well.
Yep. I'm tapping it out from the correct side.

My problem is the pin is really tight in the hole and my guess is some crud is stuck in the channel and causing the issue.

I'm hoping spraying the pin with some Ballistol will clean out the crud enough for me to tap out the pin and then clean out the firing pin channel and elsewhere in that area. I had the same issue with my magazine floor plate and the issue was some oil and grit had collected on the bottom and the floor plate got stuck.

A little bit of scraping and a couple of good whacks with a mallet and the floor plate was free. I'm hoping it'll be the same for the firing pin retaining pin.

PistolPete
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by PistolPete » Sun Jan 05, 2020 8:26 pm

boskone wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 8:02 pm
Yes, they make several models, both double stack and single stack. I keep hoping more people will offer models as well and more choices in ammo will be offered.

Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first.
- Mark Twain

emclean
Favorite Zombie Movies: Fido
Zombieland

Post by emclean » Tue Jan 07, 2020 9:49 am

PistolPete wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 8:26 pm
boskone wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 8:02 pm
Yes, they make several models, both double stack and single stack. I keep hoping more people will offer models as well and more choices in ammo will be offered.
plus they ship with a 9mm barrel (or at least mine did). but I haven't tried any .22 TCM through it yet (hadn't ever heard of the round before I got the pistol).

PistolPete
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by PistolPete » Tue Jan 07, 2020 2:36 pm

emclean wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 9:49 am
plus they ship with a 9mm barrel (or at least mine did). but I haven't tried any .22 TCM through it yet (hadn't ever heard of the round before I got the pistol).
TCM is a lot of fun. No recoil, lots of muzzle flash.

- Mark Twain

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Tue Jan 07, 2020 5:56 pm

I solved my firing pin issue on my Tokarev today.

All it took was a proper sized punch, a small mallet and a quick spray of Ballistol. Turns out it was just some excess gunk left over from when Classic Firearms or whoever cleaned off the cosmoline.

The Ballistol ate through the gunk and I was able to free my firing pin retaining pin and check the firing pin for damage. I was also able to clean out the channel of grease and packing oil. Now I just need some ammo to do a functions test and I'll be good to go.

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Fri Jan 10, 2020 3:12 pm

Claude ham mercy.....I'll have to get one for my Mini-30. :rofl:

Guns.com - New Side Folding Stocks For The Ruger 10/22 and Mini-14 Rifles

For the past 24 years, New Hampshire-based Samson Manufacturing has produced high-quality firearms parts and accessories, with its latest product replicas of the side-folding stocks designed by Ruger. The side-folding stocks are offered with the .223 chambered Mini-14 Ranch Rifles that hit the market in 1973.

When Ruger stopped making the stocks in 1989, it caused a limited supply. Thirty years on, with the public’s continued love for the classic and proven Mini-14 platform, it’s not uncommon to see these side-folding stocks selling for upwards of $1,000.

Samson decided to seize on this market and over the last year, it’s been working with Ruger to produce exact replicas of the original Mini-14 side-folding stocks. Dave Biggers, the director of sales and marketing at Samson, told Guns.com in December that the only difference between the original Ruger stock and Samson’s would be the grip. Instead of bakelite on the Ruger, Samson’s will be made out of a super-durable plastic. They’ll also sell for under $300.

whisk.e.rebellion wrote: It's not what you say anymore. It's how you say it.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

PistolPete
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by PistolPete » Fri Jan 10, 2020 3:54 pm

RickOShea wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 3:12 pm
Yeah, they are gonna sell a lot of those. And I bet it increases Ruger's sales of the Mini rifles as well.

- Mark Twain

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Fri Jan 10, 2020 4:49 pm

The Samson stock for the 10/22 looks pretty neat.

Not quite sure if it's neat enough for me to drop 300 bucks on, though.

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Fri Jan 10, 2020 5:23 pm

RickOShea wrote:

I just peed myself with glee!!! I need a Ruger Mini first.

Sigh....details....

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Fri Jan 10, 2020 6:10 pm

Just out of curiosity, how stable was the folding butt plate deal on those stocks ?

Like did they have a tendency to fold under recoil or did they lock in place to prevent that ?

Langenator
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, Zombieland, Shaun of the Dead (and Larry Correia's Monster Hunter series if they ever make them into movies)

Post by Langenator » Sat Jan 11, 2020 7:08 am

Am I the only one who has this playing in his head?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_MVonyVSQoM

I do love it when a plan comes together.
RickOShea wrote:

Guns.com - New Side Folding Stocks For The Ruger 10/22 and Mini-14 Rifles

For the past 24 years, New Hampshire-based Samson Manufacturing has produced high-quality firearms parts and accessories, with its latest product replicas of the side-folding stocks designed by Ruger. The side-folding stocks are offered with the .223 chambered Mini-14 Ranch Rifles that hit the market in 1973.

When Ruger stopped making the stocks in 1989, it caused a limited supply. Thirty years on, with the public’s continued love for the classic and proven Mini-14 platform, it’s not uncommon to see these side-folding stocks selling for upwards of $1,000.

Samson decided to seize on this market and over the last year, it’s been working with Ruger to produce exact replicas of the original Mini-14 side-folding stocks. Dave Biggers, the director of sales and marketing at Samson, told Guns.com in December that the only difference between the original Ruger stock and Samson’s would be the grip. Instead of bakelite on the Ruger, Samson’s will be made out of a super-durable plastic. They’ll also sell for under $300.

Fortunis Fortus Paratus

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Sat Jan 11, 2020 9:33 am

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 6:10 pm
Just out of curiosity, how stable was the folding butt plate deal on those stocks ?

Like did they have a tendency to fold under recoil or did they lock in place to prevent that ?
I don't know what other's experiences are. A friend has had one for about 35 years and never had a problem with it. They do lock. It is not a friction thing.

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Sat Jan 11, 2020 11:42 am

woodsghost wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 9:33 am
12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 6:10 pm

I don't know what other's experiences are. A friend has had one for about 35 years and never had a problem with it. They do lock. It is not a friction thing.
Cool. That's what I wanted to know, Woods.

I kind of figured they locked in place, but I wasn't entirely sure about that.

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Sat Jan 11, 2020 12:39 pm

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Sun Jan 12, 2020 2:59 pm

I admit it, I'm a life-long Ruger fanboy. I have several SA & DA Ruger revolvers, including an old 3-screw .357 Blackhawk I got when I was sixteen....but I can't decide if I like this one or not. :ooh:

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Sun Jan 12, 2020 4:40 pm

That's kind of neat, but the grip looks a bit on the small side to me.

Return to “General Firearms Discussion”