Firearms Chat: Yeet Cannon 2 Electric Boogaloo

General discussions regarding topics that aren't covered in one of the other sub-forums. NO DISCUSSION OF POLITICS!

Moderators: ZS Global Moderators, ZS Postal Match Officers

woodsghost

Re: Firearms Chat: Yeet Cannon 2 Electric Boogaloo

Post by woodsghost » Sat Oct 26, 2019 6:24 pm

moab wrote:
Sat Oct 26, 2019 6:16 pm
RickOShea wrote:
Sun Oct 20, 2019 7:09 pm
Ugh....Just noticed PSA has their chrome-lined premium Mid-gas Mock Dissy uppers back in-stock. I had one years ago, but sold it to a buddy who liked it even more than I did.

I'm tempted to pick-up another, just for shits-&-giggles. I always thought they looked pretty sharp with a MOE handguard....and I still have the M7 bayonet I shortened the handle on to fit a dissy. :crazy:

Do they make these with a rail? I don't get why so many AR's are sold without rails. That's nice that there back in stock. Had I had that option when I bought my pistol kit. I would have gladly opted for the chrome lined.
For that particular forearm, you can add what is called "M-LOK" or something close to that. You can add sections of rail, VFGs, sling swivels, etc. It's a cool system.
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Sat Oct 26, 2019 7:08 pm

Rails are so 2000s. There are a lot of good arguments for MLok, lighter, smoother, safer.
You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

moab

Post by moab » Sat Oct 26, 2019 7:51 pm

Stercutus wrote:
Sat Oct 26, 2019 7:08 pm
Rails are so 2000s. There are a lot of good arguments for MLok, lighter, smoother, safer.
OK. Now I'm confused. I thought Mlok was a type of rail hole pattern for attaching various items. Can you do the same with those plastic hand guards or something?
"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Sat Oct 26, 2019 7:56 pm

moab wrote:
Sat Oct 26, 2019 7:51 pm
OK. Now I'm confused. I thought Mlok was a type of rail hole pattern for attaching various items. Can you do the same with those plastic hand guards or something?
Yes. Yes you can. My "house gun"....

whisk.e.rebellion wrote: It's not what you say anymore. It's how you say it.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Sat Oct 26, 2019 8:03 pm

RickOShea wrote:
Sat Oct 26, 2019 7:56 pm
moab wrote:

You can do that with the AK too. I don't have pics, but look up accessories attached to the MOE AK forend or the Zhukov forend. I strongly reco you consider these for your AK. The MOE will also lighten up your front end.
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

moab

Post by moab » Sat Oct 26, 2019 8:10 pm

woodsghost wrote:
Sat Oct 26, 2019 8:03 pm
RickOShea wrote:
Sat Oct 26, 2019 7:56 pm
moab wrote:

You can do that with the AK too. I don't have pics, but look up accessories attached to the MOE AK forend or the Zhukov forend. I strongly reco you consider these for your AK. The MOE will also lighten up your front end.
That's cool. I always thought they were just cheap plastic for looks.
"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Sun Oct 27, 2019 8:50 am

Gun show or Range. I have done the math, & I can't do both. :cry:

boskone

Post by boskone » Sun Oct 27, 2019 12:11 pm

MPMalloy wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 8:50 am
I stopped going to gun shows because they seemed to inevitably be overpriced, and full of mall cops buying Chineseum tacticool doodads.

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Sun Oct 27, 2019 1:37 pm

MPMalloy wrote:
Pet expo or cat toy shopping. Paleface insists. :mrgreen:

(otherwise, go to the range. nothing you can buy at a gun show will benefit you as much as range time.)
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Sun Oct 27, 2019 4:03 pm

boskone wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 12:11 pm
MPMalloy wrote:
I stopped going to gun shows because they seemed to inevitably be overpriced, and full of mall cops buying Chineseum tacticool doodads.
Sounds like the gun shows out here.

Last one I went to, which was back around 2011, they had maybe ten tables of guns and the rest was garage sale/flea market crap.

If I'd have had the money, I'd have brought home a nice Remington Rand 1911 that had been customized back in the 60's.
That was about the only good thing at that gun show.

If I want to look at overpriced guns, I'll just drive to Lubbock or Odessa and hit up some of the shops there.

That or I'll go to some of the pawn shops in Odessa. There's one that I know of that has a small bin filled with used gun parts that they still want full retail price for. Only thing I found that was an ok deal was the Viking Tactics light mount I ended up buying for 15 bucks.

Langenator
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, Zombieland, Shaun of the Dead (and Larry Correia's Monster Hunter series if they ever make them into movies)

Post by Langenator » Sun Oct 27, 2019 7:59 pm

Mental note: that thing the drill sergeants teach you, about putting your nose to the charging handle (to ensure consistent eye placement) when shooting the M-16 or M-4?

Not advised when shooting an AR-10.
Fortunis Fortus Paratus

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Sun Oct 27, 2019 8:52 pm

Langenator wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 7:59 pm
Mental note: that thing the drill sergeants teach you, about putting your nose to the charging handle (to ensure consistent eye placement) when shooting the M-16 or M-4?

Not advised when shooting an AR-10.
LOL, yeah....certain short eye relief ACOG's aren't advised either.
whisk.e.rebellion wrote: It's not what you say anymore. It's how you say it.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Mon Oct 28, 2019 6:34 am

My AR-10s have scopes and 45 degree offset BUIS. They are not really "BU", but more for close range shots. The 308 has legs, stretch them out.
You go over and under
I go through

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Mon Oct 28, 2019 4:25 pm

I got my Romanian Tokarev today. It was supposed to be at my FFL on Saturday, but they were closed by the time the FedEx guy showed up. So my pistol spent the weekend in a FedEx center in New Mexico.

This morning, my FFL guy called to let me know they had gotten my pistol in. So I drove to the next town where my FFL guy is and picked it up. Took a little longer than usual because a friend of one of my brothers was ahead of me ordering a Henry lever action in .17 HMR.

So I stood there chatting with the guy a bit and then picked up my gun. I think I was in the shop for maybe a half hour or so. Most of that was spent talking with my brother's friend and then waiting on the background check to come back.

After I got the all clear, I paid the 35 bucks for the transfer fee and out the door I went.

The pistol is in great shape for a gun made in 1955. There's some minor dings in it, but nothing major.

The import safety is still stupid, but I'll deal with it for now, mostly because I'm too lazy to remove it right now. To its credit, it does snap in position pretty well and doesn't feel like it'll interfere with the trigger pull too much. If it does, I'll remove it and have the resulting holes plugged. Overall, I'm happy with my purchase.

This gun has been on my wishlist for a long time and I'm happy I finally have one. :D

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Mon Oct 28, 2019 6:31 pm

I agree with the above about gun shows. I miss the good old days. I miss Phil the book guy.

Langenator
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, Zombieland, Shaun of the Dead (and Larry Correia's Monster Hunter series if they ever make them into movies)

Post by Langenator » Mon Oct 28, 2019 8:05 pm

Stercutus wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 6:34 am
My AR-10s have scopes and 45 degree offset BUIS. They are not really "BU", but more for close range shots. The 308 has legs, stretch them out.
The MagPul BUIS were in the parts box. The scope is on the "When I have more $$$" list. This was just to get the irons zeroed and function check the rifle. (Korean surplus (PMC) M80 ball. Not expecting sub-MOA).

There is a range suitable for stretching, but it's like 40 minutes or so away. And costs a lot more than the range that's 10 minutes down the road. So when I get a scope, and some better ammo, I'll probably go. (And take the Grendel, too.)
Fortunis Fortus Paratus

boskone

Post by boskone » Mon Oct 28, 2019 9:57 pm

Langenator wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 8:05 pm
Stercutus wrote:
The MagPul BUIS were in the parts box. The scope is on the "When I have more $$$" list. This was just to get the irons zeroed and function check the rifle. (Korean surplus (PMC) M80 ball. Not expecting sub-MOA).

There is a range suitable for stretching, but it's like 40 minutes or so away. And costs a lot more than the range that's 10 minutes down the road. So when I get a scope, and some better ammo, I'll probably go. (And take the Grendel, too.)
Something longer than 300yd? The longest I know of in the area-ish is over in Madisonville, and last I checked it was 300.

Well, and CCC...but they're way out of my price range.

Langenator

Post by Langenator » Tue Oct 29, 2019 5:39 am

boskone wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 9:57 pm
Langenator wrote:
Stercutus wrote:

Something longer than 300yd? The longest I know of in the area-ish is over in Madisonville, and last I checked it was 300.

Yeah, CCC. I'm east of Bryan, within 10 minutes of Marksman Outdoors. CCC is a good trip, and, like you mentioned, pricey, unless I'm going to shoot USPSA or 3-gun.
Fortunis Fortus Paratus

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Tue Oct 29, 2019 12:17 pm

I just assume... Texas... Deer lease... 500 yard range. That seemed to be the norm when I was there.
You go over and under
I go through

boskone

Post by boskone » Tue Oct 29, 2019 8:56 pm

Langenator wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 5:39 am
boskone wrote:
Langenator wrote:
Stercutus wrote:

Yeah, CCC. I'm east of Bryan, within 10 minutes of Marksman Outdoors. CCC is a good trip, and, like you mentioned, pricey, unless I'm going to shoot USPSA or 3-gun.
I'm not up to USPSA or 3-gun yet, but I've been out there for Appleseed.

If it was still $300/yr I'd probably join, but $1k/yr? Oof.

boskone

Post by boskone » Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:08 pm

Stercutus wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 12:17 pm
I just assume... Texas... Deer lease... 500 yard range. That seemed to be the norm when I was there.
Well, sure...but I can deer hunt for free at my parents' place, it's just a bit too far to drive for a casual Saturday afternoon shoot. Might as well drop the $1k for the local tacticool club. :|

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Tue Oct 29, 2019 11:10 pm

boskone wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:08 pm
Stercutus wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 12:17 pm
Well, sure...but I can deer hunt for free at my parents' place, it's just a bit too far to drive for a casual Saturday afternoon shoot. Might as well drop the $1k for the local tacticool club. :|
I think I paid $120 a year in Tyler but that was over a decade ago.
You go over and under
I go through

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Wed Oct 30, 2019 12:57 am

One of the things I'm looking at with our move to Idaho is getting enough land far enough away from neighbors to put in my own range. 100 yards would be nice but I wouldn't complain if I can manage more. One of the properties I've seen listed in the area we're looking at is a horse boarding/training place. Has a 3br 2ba house that we'd need to expand a little (we'd like 5br) but it's 26 acres well out in the boonies with hills and embankments that would make a nice starting point for backstops.
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

Langenator

Post by Langenator » Wed Oct 30, 2019 6:28 am

boskone wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 8:56 pm
Langenator wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 5:39 am
boskone wrote:
Langenator wrote:

Marksman will be going to a membership based system soon, too. $250/year. With my work schedule (I'm a cop, so I'm off in the middle of the week a good bit) that would be great, since I could just go out there in the middle of the week and have the range to myself.
I'm not up to USPSA or 3-gun yet, but I've been out there for Appleseed.

If it was still $300/yr I'd probably join, but $1k/yr? Oof.
Fortunis Fortus Paratus

Return to “General Firearms Discussion”