Firearms Chat: Yeet Cannon 2 Electric Boogaloo

General discussions regarding topics that aren't covered in one of the other sub-forums. NO DISCUSSION OF POLITICS!

Moderators: ZS Global Moderators, ZS Postal Match Officers

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Re: Firearms Chat: Yeet Cannon 2 Electric Boogaloo

Post by RickOShea » Sat Sep 21, 2019 1:24 pm

So, back in November of 2004 I found myself at the Pensacola gun show. Several vendors were having "the AWB is over" sales. One of the better local vendors had several M1A's at their booth, just not the model I was interested in, a Scout. But I couldn't pass-up their sale prices and ended-up going home with a "loaded" model with a 22" SS barrel and a black fiberglass stock.

Now, 15 years, an 18" chrome lined Criterion barrel, wood stock, AMS mount and Burris scope later, I finally got my M1A "Scout". :crazy:

whisk.e.rebellion wrote: It's not what you say anymore. It's how you say it.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Sat Sep 21, 2019 1:41 pm

RickOShea wrote:
Sat Sep 21, 2019 1:05 pm
Yahoo - ATF Admits It Lacked Authority to Issue Legislative Rule, NCLA Condemns the Agency’s Attempt to Ban Bump Stocks Anyway

Washington, D.C., Sept. 18, 2019 -- Congress has not prohibited bump stocks, but the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives (ATF) has made them illegal with a Final Rule issued without statutory authority. In a noteworthy development, ATF’s latest court filing admits that it lacked rulemaking authority under the Gun Control Act and National Firearms Act to issue a legislative rule. ATF thus now agrees with NCLA that the district court below was wrong on this point of law.
Wait, you mean the ATF actually admitted they were wrong ?

Did Hell freeze over ?

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Sat Sep 21, 2019 4:02 pm

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

boskone

Post by boskone » Sat Sep 21, 2019 4:15 pm

Anyone know about rebluing/rustproofing shotgun receivers?

The receiver of my 11-87 rusts despite my best efforts. Nothing else in the cabinet, nothing else on the gun, just that one receiver.

I've de-rusted and cold-blued it, and wiped it down with various things over the years, but it rusts like it's made out of cast iron.

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Sat Sep 21, 2019 5:30 pm

I had an 11-87 barrel rust like crazy. I'd suggest putting some rust treatment on it, give it a good scrub and then either Cerekote it or..... you are going to hate me.... give it a spray down with either bed liner or... a few coats of high temp grill paint.

I actually have an very old 870 that was rusty that I put the high temp grill paint on and three years and a few hundred shells later it still looks great. The paint will scratch easily though. The bed liner not so much.
You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

moab

Post by moab » Sat Sep 21, 2019 8:04 pm

Stercutus wrote:
Sat Sep 21, 2019 5:30 pm
I had an 11-87 barrel rust like crazy. I'd suggest putting some rust treatment on it, give it a good scrub and then either Cerekote it or..... you are going to hate me.... give it a spray down with either bed liner or... a few coats of high temp grill paint.

I actually have an very old 870 that was rusty that I put the high temp grill paint on and three years and a few hundred shells later it still looks great. The paint will scratch easily though. The bed liner not so much.
Agreed, Cerakote - paint - bake, paint - bake.
"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Twilight... making zombies of our future generations

Post by JeeperCreeper » Sat Sep 21, 2019 8:04 pm

I agree with Stercutus.

Cerakote... or rattle can duracoat or Brownells gun-kote.

As far as high temp paint, I had great luck on a rusted Ithaca with Rust-Oleum engine enamel with ceramic. I used the primer gray and semi gloss black for a homemade carbon fiber pattern. Been a couple years, still looks new.

As far as rattle can, stay away from matte or satin. At least that's what I've been told. Myth has it, the more matte, the more porous the surface, the more it holds moisture. So ideally, the old rumor is high gloss repels the most moisture. But also looks insane on a gun. Again, as far as rattle can spray paint goes.
They see me trollin', they hatin'.... keyboardin' tryna catch me typin' dirty
Halfapint wrote:There are some exceptions like myself and jeepercreeper.... but we are the forum asshats. We protect our positions with gusto
zero11010 wrote:The girlfriend is a good shot with a 10/22.
Her secondary offense will be nagging.

boskone

Post by boskone » Sat Sep 21, 2019 9:09 pm

A coating could work. How does it do with engraving? I've handled Cerakoted guns, but never paid attention to how thick the coat ends up.

I hadn't considered paint-type coatings, and so didn't think to mention it's a Premier and a gift. I can deal with being less shiny to keep the rust at bay, but I would like to preserve the general appearance.

moab

Post by moab » Sat Sep 21, 2019 9:53 pm

boskone wrote:
Sat Sep 21, 2019 9:09 pm
A coating could work. How does it do with engraving? I've handled Cerakoted guns, but never paid attention to how thick the coat ends up.

I hadn't considered paint-type coatings, and so didn't think to mention it's a Premier and a gift. I can deal with being less shiny to keep the rust at bay, but I would like to preserve the general appearance.
Unless they're non-government reg standard depth - meaning thin. You shouldn't have any problems with covering up markings.

EDIT - If your going rattle can. Spray tips make all the difference. You'll get much better coverage.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Calligraphy-ca ... 2749.l2649
"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by JeeperCreeper » Sun Sep 22, 2019 12:37 am

boskone wrote:
Sat Sep 21, 2019 9:09 pm

My Ithaca had the nature scene engraved on the receiver like so many do. With a few coats of spray paint, you could still see it. Harder to make out cuz of my spray pattern, but it wasn't thick enough to wipe it out
Halfapint wrote:There are some exceptions like myself and jeepercreeper.... but we are the forum asshats. We protect our positions with gusto

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by JeeperCreeper » Sun Sep 22, 2019 12:39 am

RickOShea wrote:
Sat Sep 21, 2019 1:24 pm
So, back in November of 2004 I found myself at the Pensacola gun show. Several vendors were having "the AWB is over" sales. One of the better local vendors had several M1A's at their booth, just not the model I was interested in, a Scout. But I couldn't pass-up their sale prices and ended-up going home with a "loaded" model with a 22" SS barrel and a black fiberglass stock.

Now, 15 years, an 18" chrome lined Criterion barrel, wood stock, AMS mount and Burris scope later, I finally got my M1A "Scout". :crazy:

Gorgeous!!! How's it shoot with that Criterion barrel??

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:44 pm

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:53 pm

JeeperCreeper wrote:
Sun Sep 22, 2019 12:39 am
Gorgeous!!! How's it shoot with that Criterion barrel??
It's been a good barrel. Just as accurate as the 22" stainless steel barrel it replaced. And I just noticed that Fulton is selling it for a helluva lot cheaper than what I paid back 11 or 12 years ago.

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Tue Sep 24, 2019 1:01 pm

So I was going through my parts drawer again and I found a guide rod and recoil spring for my G21 that I thought I had misplaced during my move to my new house.

I originally bought it to eventually replace the factory guide rod, but I didn't install it because the company I bought it from said to LocTite the little screw that holds the recoil spring on before using it.

Today I found my tube of LocTite and began the task of locking down the screw so it doesn't somehow pop out under recoil. I probably put more LocTite on than is needed, but it didn't ooze out when I tightened down the screw, so I figure I'm good.

Now to just wait until the LocTite sets and I can install the new guide rod/recoil spring in my G21. I plan to keep the factory one as back up.

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:15 pm

The new offering from Springfield....

TFB - Springfield Armory Hellcat: World’s Highest Capacity Micro-Compact 9mm

Springfield Armory has been teasing us for the last month on social media that today they were going to debut a NEW “class leading firearm,” and now that day has arrived! Their new firearm has achieved a feat many of us did not believe was possible until recent by magically stacking 11 rounds of 9mm into an ultra-slim, micro-compact frame. Well, the Springfield Armory Hellcat has surpassed that by having the ability to tote around 12 rounds of the industry’s favorite cartridge in 9mm for defense.

The new Springfield Armory Hellcat is rated for +P ammunition to fire some of the most stout defense loads on the market. Another strikingly noticeable feature is the new Adaptive Grip Texture™ which appears to be extremely tactile whether your palms are cold and dry, or hot and sweaty. This new texturing by Springfield will likely conjure up outdated jokes of their former GripZone handling, but this Adaptive Grip Texture™ appears to be much improved and a far departure from the former.

Something else that is sweeping across the firearms industry is the ability to add a micro red dot to handguns regardless of the diminutive size a carry pistol might be. The Springfield Armory Hellcat is going to be offered in 2 offerings at the time of its introduction: one standard model and an OSP version (Optical Sight Pistol). The Hellcat OSP will afford the shooter the ability to directly mount optics to the slide for the lowest profile possible.

boskone

Post by boskone » Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:30 pm

RickOShea wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:15 pm
The new offering from Springfield....

TFB - Springfield Armory Hellcat: World’s Highest Capacity Micro-Compact 9mm
Saw that, and if I was in the market for another carry pistol I'd be very interested.

Not enough to buy one before reviews start to hit, though. ;)

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Thu Sep 26, 2019 4:53 pm

The Taurus does not care for steel-case ammo. :(

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Thu Sep 26, 2019 5:08 pm

MPMalloy wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 4:53 pm
That is too bad. That stuff is nice and cheap. Did you try steel cased .357 or steel .38?
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Thu Sep 26, 2019 5:27 pm

MPMalloy wrote:
What sort of issues are you having with steel cased ammo in your Taurus ?

Are the cases sticking or do they not fit or what's up ?

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Thu Sep 26, 2019 9:02 pm

woodsghost wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 5:08 pm
MPMalloy wrote:
That is too bad. That stuff is nice and cheap. Did you try steel cased .357 or steel .38?
12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 5:27 pm
What sort of issues are you having with steel cased ammo in your Taurus? Are the cases sticking or do they not fit or what's up?
Tula .38 Special. The cases meet up just fine, & then stick like glue. Is this a sign of something, other than breaking in a new gun?

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:07 pm

MPMalloy wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 9:02 pm
woodsghost wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 5:08 pm
MPMalloy wrote:
12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 5:27 pm
What sort of issues are you having with steel cased ammo in your Taurus? Are the cases sticking or do they not fit or what's up?
Tula .38 Special. The cases meet up just fine, & then stick like glue. Is this a sign of something, other than breaking in a new gun?
I wonder if it could be the coating on the ammo that's the cause of the sticking. I think Tula has either a polymer or a lacquer coating on it to help prevent corrosion.

My other guess would be the chambers on the cylinder might be a little tight. I'd get a gunsmith to check it out and see what's up.

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Thu Sep 26, 2019 11:30 pm

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:07 pm
I wonder if it could be the coating on the ammo that's the cause of the sticking. I think Tula has either a polymer or a lacquer coating on it to help prevent corrosion.

My other guess would be the chambers on the cylinder might be a little tight. I'd get a gunsmith to check it out and see what's up.
I have heard, but have no direct experience to call on, that steel cased ammo with lacquered or coated cases in calibers that use straight-walled cases can have this problem, and that it can result in broken extractors one semi-autos. This makes sense to me, especially given that one of the reasons rounds like the .38 Special used nickel-plated cases was to aid in case extraction. The nickel being much slicker than brass that may be tarnished or a little corroded.
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Thu Sep 26, 2019 11:45 pm

NT2C wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 11:30 pm
12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:07 pm

I have heard, but have no direct experience to call on, that steel cased ammo with lacquered or coated cases in calibers that use straight-walled cases can have this problem, and that it can result in broken extractors one semi-autos. This makes sense to me, especially given that one of the reasons rounds like the .38 Special used nickel-plated cases was to aid in case extraction. The nickel being much slicker than brass that may be tarnished or a little corroded.
I've heard that as well, NT2C. I've got zero experience with it myself since I only ever used brass cased ammo in the GP100 I used to own.

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Thu Sep 26, 2019 11:46 pm

MPMalloy wrote:
A lot of revolvers don't like steel. Are they getting stuck in all six chambers, or just one or two?

Return to “General Firearms Discussion”