Unknown Gun

General discussions regarding topics that aren't covered in one of the other sub-forums. NO DISCUSSION OF POLITICS!

Moderators: ZS Global Moderators, ZS Postal Match Officers

The Twizzler
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead
Return of the Living Dead

Unknown Gun

Post by The Twizzler » Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:08 pm

I was walking through the local gun store today when I came across something I didn't know existed. It's to expensive for my blood, but I thought I would post it here to see what the hive mind thinks.

Chinese C-96 chambered in 45 acp.
Now I knew they were copied in China and sold to china in rounds like 7.63 and 7.65 Mauser and even 9mm Luger. I had never heard about them chambered in 45. The photo is just a stock internet photo but the local shop wants 3500.00 for it.

I found this on wiki for those interested.

During the Warlord era of Chinese history in the early 20th century, the province of Shanxi was ruled by warlord Yen Hsi-shan, who had established a modern arms factory in his capital city of Taiyuan. Yen was equipping his troops with a locally produced copy of the Thompson submachine gun, chambered for the .45 ACP cartridge, but was experiencing supply difficulties as his troops' sidearms were 7.63mm calibre C96 handguns.[29]

Yen's solution was to produce a .45 ACP caliber version of the C96, thus standardizing ammunition and making supply logistics easier.[29] Designated Type 17, production of the .45 caliber handgun began in 1929 at the Taiyuan Arsenal and ended in 1931. They are inscribed (in Chinese) "Type 17" on the left hand side of the gun, and "Republic Year Eighteen, Made in Shansi" on the right hand side.[29] They were issued (along with Thompson SMGs) to railway guards in the province as defense against bandits and other warlords.

Besides being chambered for a larger cartridge, the Shanxi .45 pistols use a noticeably larger frame than their 7.63mm counterparts, with the 10-round magazine extending below the trigger guard and a 155 mm (6.1 in) barrel. It was loaded using two five-round stripper clips rather than the single 10-round stripper clips of the standard 7.63mm Mauser. Because of the overall increase in size, Type 17 pistols share no interchangeable parts with any other C96 variant.

Most of the Shanxi .45 pistols were melted down after the Communist victory in the Chinese Civil War, largely due to their odd caliber for Chinese Communist standards, but a few examples were exported overseas for sale on the commercial market.[29] Approximately 8,500 Shanxi .45 caliber Broomhandle pistols are believed to have been produced by the Taiyuan Arsenal,
"Oh Bother!" said Pooh, as he drew his dagger...

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Twilight... making zombies of our future generations

Re: Unknown Gun

Post by JeeperCreeper » Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:49 pm

That's one of my dream guns. Never saw one in person.

I really want someone to recreate one in 9mm... But modernized.

Be really cool with a pistol brace. Kinda like a pistol caliber carbine but more pistol oriented
They see me trollin', they hatin'.... keyboardin' tryna catch me typin' dirty
Halfapint wrote:There are some exceptions like myself and jeepercreeper.... but we are the forum asshats. We protect our positions with gusto
zero11010 wrote:The girlfriend is a good shot with a 10/22.
Her secondary offense will be nagging.

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Mon Sep 09, 2019 6:55 am

I always think of Escape to Athena When I see a C96. That movie made me actually want one with the little stock. Imagine my disappoint when I grew up and found out about the paperwork nutroll and the void of 50 State legal issues.

You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

MacWa77ace
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Omega Man, I Am Legend, Dawn of the Dead v1974.

Post by MacWa77ace » Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:12 am

Stercutus wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 6:55 am
I always think of Escape to Athena When I see a C96. That movie made me actually want one with the little stock. Imagine my disappoint when I grew up and found out about the paperwork nutroll and the void of 50 State legal issues.

Funny, I always think of 'Joe Kidd', I kept calling it the 'Joe Kidd gun' even after I knew the real name.

Lifetime gamer watch at:
MacWa77ace YouTube Channel

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:15 pm

Funny when I think of a C96 I think of a ZS member (who used to frequent this site ) when young and broke used a C96 given to him as his CCW...also I think of Winston Churchill who used one in one of Boaer Conflicts and sang the praises of the C96

I think (know) I would pass on a Chinese War Lord version of a C96 chambered in .45acp for $2,900.
Because ...Well after all... what could go wrong with an ~ 88 year old firearm manufactured under difficult circumstances in a caliber different from the original design and re-engineered by unknown persons with all key dimensions different from the original design?

Getting back to the C96, it was truly a game changer for many nations and private citizens when it was introduced. It was a marvel of engineering and IMO the first (not THE first) truly successful semi-auto pistol and pistol/carbine.

Granted the Borchardt C-93 predated it and had similar features, but IMO the most lethal thing about the Borchardt was its appearance. If looks could kill that ugly pistol would be a killer. :lol:

I am not sure what is most recognizable a P-08 or a C-96.

BTW a link to abacus and his c-96
viewtopic.php?t=21501

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:37 pm

I have yet to see a C96 in any gun shop out here.

I've seen plenty of Luger P-08s, Tokarevs of varying countries of origin (the Romanian ones seem to be the most prevalent) and the occasional Nagant revolver, but never a C96.

I've seen plenty online, though.

Unfortunately, they're usually either way out of my price range or they're so beat to hell that any restoration work on them would cost more than the gun is worth.

Still doesn't stop me from wanting one, though.

DarkAxel
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Evil Dead Series, Dawn of the Dead, Shawn of the Dead, NOTLD, Resident Evil Series

Post by DarkAxel » Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:41 pm

Stercutus wrote:

The C-96, Star automatics, and other early stocked pistols are specifically exempted from the NFA and do not require tax stamps.
vyadmirer wrote:Call me the paranoid type, but remember I'm on a post apocalyptic website prepared for zombies.
Fleet #: ZS 0180

Browncoat

Imma Fudd, and proud of it.

ZS Wiki

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:18 pm

DarkAxel wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:41 pm
Stercutus wrote:

The C-96, Star automatics, and other early stocked pistols are specifically exempted from the NFA and do not require tax stamps.
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the Courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who would pervert the Constitution. - A. Lincoln

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:46 pm

Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the Courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who would pervert the Constitution. - A. Lincoln

SMoAF
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by SMoAF » Sat Oct 26, 2019 12:08 pm

IIRC, the actual Mauser that's the inspiration for that was the 712. The biggest mag I ever found was a 20 rounder. Mine was a pre-May Dealer Sample, which I don't really regret selling.
"Betrayed by the land that bore us; Forlorn by those we hold dear.
The Good have all gone before us, and only the Wicked are here.
So stand to, your glasses ready, for the world is a world full of lies.
Here's to those gone before us, and here's to the next man who dies."

No new assholes since 08/18.

Return to “General Firearms Discussion”