Walmart Announces Several Gun Policy Changes

General discussions regarding topics that aren't covered in one of the other sub-forums. NO DISCUSSION OF POLITICS!

Moderators: ZS Global Moderators, ZS Postal Match Officers

Stercutus

Walmart Announces Several Gun Policy Changes

Post by Stercutus » Tue Sep 03, 2019 1:02 pm

- Discontinue the sale of handgun ammunition
- Cease sale of handguns in Alaska (the only place they still carry them)
- Request non-LEO customers no longer open carry in store
Walmart's moves will reduce its market share of ammunition from around 20% to a range of about 6% to 9%, according to Tuesday's memo. About half of its more than 4,000 U.S. stores sell firearms.
https://corporate.walmart.com/newsroom/ ... -southaven
Last edited by Stercutus on Tue Sep 03, 2019 3:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Re: Walmart Announces Several Gun Policy Changes

Post by raptor » Tue Sep 03, 2019 1:21 pm

It is their right to sell or not sell as they see fit.

Their loss is the LGS's gain.

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Tue Sep 03, 2019 2:27 pm

raptor wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 1:21 pm

I do like the LGS and the online retailers. Walmart was nice. I wonder how they will define "handgun ammo?"
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Tue Sep 03, 2019 2:41 pm

woodsghost wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 2:27 pm
raptor wrote:

I do like the LGS and the online retailers. Walmart was nice. I wonder how they will define "handgun ammo?"
No telling. I only have two rifles that shoot 9mm. I imagine I'll be looking elsewhere. I wonder about 44 Magnum? Great deer cartridge but also found often in handguns.
You go over and under
I go through

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Tue Sep 03, 2019 2:48 pm

I rarely buy ammo at Walmart anymore. The selection at the local ones is minimal and usually just stuff like Federal bulk packs and Winchester white box ammo.

I'll just buy my ammo online or at Academy now. Better selection and I can actually find someone who works there to help me, unlike the local Walmarts.

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Tue Sep 03, 2019 3:13 pm

No more 5.56 from Walmart. Brace yourself, here comes the panic buying.

https://corporate.walmart.com/newsroom/ ... -southaven
You go over and under
I go through

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Tue Sep 03, 2019 3:26 pm

I wonder if Walmart is going to jack up the prices on their discontinued ammo, then "roll back" the price to what it was when originally sold it and claim they're saving people money ?

Or are they going to put it all on clearance and then go from there ?

And I'm betting that once the higher ups and shareholders figure out how much business they're going to lose from this knee jerk reaction, they'll change their policy.

I'm probably wrong, though. Kmart didn't learn anything from when they stopped selling handgun ammo, so why would Walmart ?

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Tue Sep 03, 2019 3:32 pm

And I'm betting that once the higher ups and shareholders figure out how much business they're going to lose from this knee jerk reaction, they'll change their policy.
Doug would not do that without top cover. So it is just the stockholders he has to worry about. The interesting thing here is that it will actually increase the percentage of criminals in the store by reducing the number of (pissed off) law abiding gun owners.
You go over and under
I go through

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Tue Sep 03, 2019 4:22 pm

Stercutus wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 3:32 pm
Doug would not do that without top cover. So it is just the stockholders he has to worry about. The interesting thing here is that it will actually increase the percentage of criminals in the store by reducing the number of (pissed off) law abiding gun owners.
Walmart's been going down the drain for awhile now, so this is just one of many boneheaded moves the company has made.

I worked for the local Walmart for a couple months when I was in my early 20's and even then the corporate side of things mishandled stuff.

Case in point, the sporting goods department manager at the store I worked at fudged the ATF log books for guns sales for about ten years or however long he was department manager.

We're talking pages upon pages with no info written down pertaining to who the gun was sold to, what gun was sold or even what the serial number was. From what I heard, each mistake is a 10k dollar fine and this guy made enough mistakes that he was looking at at least a million bucks worth of fines and/or years in federal prison.

What did Walmart do ? They allowed the guy to resign, forfeited the store's FFL and apparently ate the fines for him.

No punishment other than losing his job. If anyone else (like a lowly cashier or stocker) had done that and for as long as he did, they'd be in federal prison right now.

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Tue Sep 03, 2019 4:49 pm

One could really hold WalDaddy's feet to the fire...

"Let me introduce you to my buddy Zantra and his suppressed .22 pistol and .22 AR-15". No more .22LR for sale.

"Here are several evil black semi-auto mag-fed 12 gauge shotguns. They even use banana clips." No more 12 gauge ammo for sale.

"Have you seen the Ohio Ordnance HCAR? It has a 16" barrel and shoots .30-06 from...*gasp*...nanner clips." No more .30-06 ammo for sale.
whisk.e.rebellion wrote: It's not what you say anymore. It's how you say it.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Tue Sep 03, 2019 5:12 pm

raptor wrote:
It is their right to sell or not sell as they see fit. Their loss is the LGS's gain.
I logged on to say the exact same thing.

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Tue Sep 03, 2019 6:00 pm

I was thinking there are a lot of 5.56 and 7.62x39 pistols out there. Also, is .22 LR or .22 WMR a pistol or rifle round? What about .410? Or 7.62x51 pistols? And there are already 30-06 single shot pistols in use for decades.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Tue Sep 03, 2019 6:25 pm

woodsghost wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 6:00 pm
I was thinking there are a lot of 5.56 and 7.62x39 pistols out there. Also, is .22 LR or .22 WMR a pistol or rifle round? What about .410? Or 7.62x51 pistols? And there are already 30-06 single shot pistols in use for decades.
"After selling through our current inventory commitments, we will discontinue sales of short-barrel rifle ammunition such as the .223 caliber and 5.56 caliber that, while commonly used in some hunting rifles, can also be used in large capacity clips on military-style weapons;"
whisk.e.rebellion wrote: It's not what you say anymore. It's how you say it.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Tue Sep 03, 2019 7:50 pm

Well, so much for picking up a reasonably priced box of 9mm and not paying range prices for crappy reloads when taking a side trip to the range. (Something I've done a time or two when out & about running chores.)

I guess I'll have to start keeping ammo in the Jeep for those impromptu range trips.
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Tue Sep 03, 2019 8:17 pm

NT2C wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 7:50 pm
Well, so much for picking up a reasonably priced box of 9mm and not paying range prices for crappy reloads when taking a side trip to the range. (Something I've done a time or two when out & about running chores.)

I guess I'll have to start keeping ammo in the Jeep for those impromptu range trips.
Do y'all have any Academy stores up where you're at, NT2C ?

All else fails, I guess there's always online ammo sites.

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Tue Sep 03, 2019 8:20 pm

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 8:17 pm
NT2C wrote:

Right on. I have some good stores where I'm moving to, but online is something I also want to support. Especially the ammo tests by Lucky Gunner & Ammunition to Go. Those should be supported.

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Tue Sep 03, 2019 9:18 pm

There are a lot and i do mean a lot of online sites that sell a better selection of ammo at a price far better than Wally Wold.

Just saying if you are worried then go on line and stock it deep.

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Tue Sep 03, 2019 9:36 pm

woodsghost wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 8:20 pm
12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
NT2C wrote:

Right on. I have some good stores where I'm moving to, but online is something I also want to support. Especially the ammo tests by Lucky Gunner & Ammunition to Go. Those should be supported.
Most of my firearms related shopping is done either online or at the local Academy store in Odessa. Prior to last month, it had been awhile since I last bought ammo from Walmart. I usually just browse and see if anything went on clearance.

Speaking of which, I scored a couple Ruger/CRKT knives last week for 7 bucks each. They were marked down from 30 and I'd been considering getting one off Amazon. 7 bucks each for three knives instead of 30 for one was a deal I couldn't pass up.

I'm thinking of heading back to see if I can find any more of them. :clap:

Evan the Diplomat
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Dawn of the Dead (2004), Savageland

Post by Evan the Diplomat » Tue Sep 03, 2019 11:15 pm

Last time I recall seeing any reporting on this, firearms and ammunition made up less than 1% of Walmart's revenue stream. The gesture may have no real policy impact but it is good optics. Now, 1% for Walmart might be equivalent to 20% for a small vendor, but Walmart will make it up in Instant Pot sales.

K-Mart's ills ran far deeper than not selling pistols or ammo.
Priests and cannibals, prehistoric animals
Everybody happy as the dead come home

Big black nemesis, parthenogenesis
No-one move a muscle as the dead come home

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Tue Sep 03, 2019 11:37 pm

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
NT2C wrote:

95% of my ammo purchasing for the last year has been done online.

Oddly, when I move in the near future I'll be moving to Lewiston, Idaho, home of CCI/Speer, and we have friends who work for them... and they don't have a company store. :gonk:

There is a Big 5 in town though, which is where I'd likely buy anything I need on the spur of the moment. If I'm lucky though the house will have enough land and be isolated enough to setup a small personal range in the yard. :ooh:
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

amyacker

Post by amyacker » Wed Sep 04, 2019 2:36 am

I've never found anything (firearm/ammo related) to buy at Wal-mart that wasn't cheaper somewhere else in town or over the internet.

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Wed Sep 04, 2019 12:00 pm

NT2C wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 11:37 pm
12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
NT2C wrote:

95% of my ammo purchasing for the last year has been done online.

Oddly, when I move in the near future I'll be moving to Lewiston, Idaho, home of CCI/Speer, and we have friends who work for them... and they don't have a company store. :gonk:

There is a Big 5 in town though, which is where I'd likely buy anything I need on the spur of the moment. If I'm lucky though the house will have enough land and be isolated enough to setup a small personal range in the yard. :ooh:
I've never purchased ammo online, but I may start soon.

As for Big 5, the one in New Mexico that I've done business with before tends to price their ammo higher than most other places. Not sure if it's just that one particular store or if every store is like that, though.

I've only bought ammo there maybe two or three times, but it was on sale when I did.

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Wed Sep 04, 2019 1:34 pm

Evan the Diplomat wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 11:15 pm
Last time I recall seeing any reporting on this, firearms and ammunition made up less than 1% of Walmart's revenue stream. The gesture may have no real policy impact but it is good optics. Now, 1% for Walmart might be equivalent to 20% for a small vendor, but Walmart will make it up in Instant Pot sales.
1% of half a trillion is still five billion dollars. This could be quite a boon to their competitors.
You go over and under
I go through

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Wed Sep 04, 2019 2:26 pm

I question the accuracy of this statement but if true it will be a boon for all of the other retailers.
Walmart now sells about 20% of the ammunition purchased in the U.S., but the policy change is expected to cut that to six to nine percent, CEO Doug McMillon said in an e-mail to Walmart employees. He explained that the retailer will focus on “the needs of hunting and sport shooting enthusiasts,” such as long-barrel deer rifles and shotguns, the necessary ammo and hunting accessories and clothes
https://www.msn.com/en-us/foodanddrink/ ... ar-AAGKKSn

Perhap it is all of the .22lr that they claim to have in stock. :clownshoes:

Return to “General Firearms Discussion”