Ammunition Storage Do's & Dont's

General discussions regarding topics that aren't covered in one of the other sub-forums. NO DISCUSSION OF POLITICS!

Moderators: ZS Global Moderators, ZS Postal Match Officers

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Ammunition Storage Do's & Dont's

Post by NT2C » Sun Aug 11, 2019 1:27 pm

I've seen discussions of this nature on here more than a few times but we didn't really have a central thread for that information. If y'all remember where such info can be found on here then post up a link to it in this thread. (If it can be moved & combined with this thread I'll consider doing that)

Meanwhile, I wouldn't worry too much about your .22 ammo in storage:

Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

91Eunozs
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: All of them!

Re: Ammunition Storage Do's & Dont's

Post by 91Eunozs » Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:07 pm

Been simply vacuum packing mine for years...if true long-term storage vs just keeping it clean and dry, I’ll throw in a desiccant pack or two as well. Usually have it loose in the bags, but just kept these I did today in the plastic holders to make it easier to stack...I’m out of room in all my ammo cans here on site... #1st world problems.

Molon Latte...come & take our coffee order
Doctorr Fabulous wrote:... It's fun to play pretend, but this is the internet, and it's time to be serious.
zengunfighter wrote:... you don't want to blow a tranny in the middle of a pursuit...
woodsghost wrote:... A defensive gun without training is basically a talisman. It might ward off evil, but I wouldn't count on it.

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:31 pm

91Eunozs wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:07 pm
Been simply vacuum packing mine for years...if true long-term storage vs just keeping it clean and dry, I’ll throw in a desiccant pack or two as well. Usually have it loose in the bags, but just kept these I did today in the plastic holders to make it easier to stack...I’m out of room in all my ammo cans here on site... #1st world problems.

What is doggy's name? :)

boskone

Post by boskone » Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:35 pm

All of my stored ammo's in ammo cans.

Most is just in a can, but I went through and charged all my AR mags a few years ago, then vac-sealed them with a dessicant pack; more for the mags themselves than the ammo, to be honest. Longevity remains to be seen, but since I've shot 40-year-old ammo out of a 100-year-old rifle with no issues, I don't foresee any problems.

I'm kinda thinking of doing similar with a lot of my other ammo. I tend to buy cheap-shit dirty-ass ammo for practice, the kind of stuff that comes loose, so I've been debating vacuum-sealing it in "normal shooting trip" increments. Probably throw dessicant packs in with my .30-06, since the en bloc clips are just steel; that'll rust post-haste around here.

Brekar
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead - Night/Dawn/Day of the Dead - Zombieland - Dead Snow - etc...

Post by Brekar » Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:02 pm

I don't really do anything special, just stack it in the closet. I do however, still have a 500 round box of Federal .22LR that I bought around 98-99, and for some reason never got around to shooting it. It then followed me to college in Az, then back here to Mo, and nothing special was done to keep it safer than any of the other ammo I had along for the ride. I recently took a few boxes out and out of the 100 rounds I shot out of my Ruger 10/22 and my Ruger Wrangler, all but 2 fired just fine, accuracy was fine. I'd say that if you keep it free of moisture you should be good to go...

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:16 pm

What I stock has been stored indoors, climate-controlled. I'm not worried at this point.

But, that could change.

Halfapint
Favorite Zombie Movies: all?

Post by Halfapint » Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:36 am

the majority of my ammo is stored in ammo cans, I have some factory but most my ammo are my reloads. I’ve been saving some of the first ones which are going on 5 years now (which isn’t that old I know but it’s my control).

I do have some that I vacuum sealed with silica and O2 absorbers. Those are kept off site in a large 30mm ammo can. We’ll see how well it holds up. I know the can itself is sealed because it was pressurized when I opened it due to elevation change. That’s my bugout/rally point ammo storage.
JeeperCreeper wrote:I like huge dicks, Halfapint, so you are OK in my book.... hahaha
Spazzy wrote:Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

91Eunozs
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: All of them!

Post by 91Eunozs » Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:52 pm

MPMalloy wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:31 pm
91Eunozs wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:07 pm

What is doggy's name? :)
That’s Bonnie...Bon Bon... She’s gettin’ up there in years (puppy mill rescue so we don’t know exactly how old), but she’s still our most energetic dog by far. Here she is “yelling” at me and our other border collie Lucy to get the truck moving...she like to go fast!

...and both of them enjoying a dip in the lake:

Molon Latte...come & take our coffee order
Doctorr Fabulous wrote:... It's fun to play pretend, but this is the internet, and it's time to be serious.
zengunfighter wrote:... you don't want to blow a tranny in the middle of a pursuit...
woodsghost wrote:... A defensive gun without training is basically a talisman. It might ward off evil, but I wouldn't count on it.

PistolPete
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator

Post by PistolPete » Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:58 pm

I can tell you were not to store it- in a cardboard box on the floor of a leaky basement for 20 years. I did a deep clean of my reloading room and found a box that fell off off a shelf. From my markings on the box, it would have been in the first few years I reloaded, so at least 15 years old and maybe as much as 20. I reloaded some 357 and used a factory cardboard box with a styrofoam insert. So being the scientific sort, even though there was obvious corrosion on a bunch of the primers, I decided to see how it would fire. 2 squibs out of 10 shots mean I'm tossing the rest.

As far as every day storage, my reloads go in plastic boxes now in ammo cans. I haven't had any problems with storing stuff that way. Sealing them in plastic bags is a great idea though!
Steemit, where I write stuff now

Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first.
- Mark Twain

raptor2
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator

Post by raptor2 » Mon Aug 03, 2020 12:33 pm

After the Katrina floods I learned a lot about ammo storage.
A few takeaways.
1. Ammo cans are not water proof if they are 3 or more feet underwater.
2. Ammo cans subject to being under water will however retain the leaked water nicely so that when you open can it will be filled with nasty smelling stagnant flood water.
3. Ammo cans do fit nicely in legal sized vertical filing cabinets drawers.
4. FIling cabinets are not designed to handle filled (& very heavy) ammo cans empty ones yes, full ones no.
5. If you seal an ammo can with 3m 5200 sealant and adhesive, it will be absolutely water proof down to 8 feet for at least 24 hours.
6. If you seal an ammo can with 3m 5200 sealant and adhesive, while water proof you will need an electric grinder to get the lid off and it will no longer be water proof.

+ 1 for vacuum sealing and storing in an ammo can in a dry climate controlled environment.

As a side note I ran across a person liquidating a movie set company and selling used and scuffed Pelican cases for $5 and $10 each (different sizes) that were used for storing cameras. I bought a bunch and use some to store ammo after cutting out the foam. These are great if you can find then used and cheap.
Duco Ergo Sum

raptor2 is the new profile name for raptor.
memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=8190

boskone

Post by boskone » Mon Aug 03, 2020 2:28 pm

raptor2 wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 12:33 pm
5. If you seal an ammo can with 3m 5200 sealant and adhesive, it will be absolutely water proof down to 8 feet for at least 24 hours.
6. If you seal an ammo can with 3m 5200 sealant and adhesive, while water proof you will need an electric grinder to get the lid off and it will no longer be water proof.
What about regular caulk, or even hot glue?
As a side note I across a person liquidating a movie set company and selling Pelican cases for $5 and $10 each (different sizes) that were used for storing cameras. I bought a bunch and use some to store ammo after cutting out the foam. These are great if you can find then used and cheap.
I should try the Harbor Freight Apache cases, see how water-tight they actually are. I don't have a pond, creek, or whatever handy, so I guess I'd have to just sink it in a bathtub.

Looks like the 2800 is a bit larger than a .50 can (11-7/8 in. x 9 in. x 5-5/16 in instead of 11-1/8 in. x 5-1/2 in. x 6-7/8 in), and could be a good candidate.

raptor2
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator

Post by raptor2 » Mon Aug 03, 2020 2:39 pm

boskone wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 2:28 pm
raptor2 wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 12:33 pm
What about regular caulk, or even hot glue?
I am not sure.
I had a some 3M 5200 (This is a common marine sealant for underwater fittings) which is why I used it. I loaded the can with some bricks, applied the sealant liberally, let it cure for the required 7 days (yes days), tied a line to it, dropped it off the stern of the boat and let it sit for the weekend.
I have no doubt that it would be water resistant until the steel rusted through. The 5200 is likely to outlast the steel.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yf4ihmwwjCw
Yes I was bored and no I have not repeated the test. :D
Duco Ergo Sum

raptor2 is the new profile name for raptor.
memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=8190

Return to “General Firearms Discussion”