What is your favorite bullpup rifle?

General discussions regarding topics that aren't covered in one of the other sub-forums. NO DISCUSSION OF POLITICS!

Moderators: ZS Global Moderators, ZS Postal Match Officers

Favorite bullpup Rifle

IWI Tavor SAR
24%
IWI Tavor X95
18%
Steyr Aug
35%
L85
No votes
Kel-Tec RDB
6%
Desert Tech MDR
6%
FN F2000
No votes
Other- specify
12%

Total votes: 17

JF89
Favorite Zombie Movies: Fido , Dead Set (tv show) ,28 days/weeks later.

What is your favorite bullpup rifle?

Post by JF89 » Sun Mar 03, 2019 12:15 am

Which is your favorite and why? How do you rate it vs an SBR?

JF89

Re: What is your favorite bullpup rifle?

Post by JF89 » Sun Mar 03, 2019 12:17 am

I like the x95 the best, i think. I have limited trigger time with bullpups though. The design is pretty neat. I liked the SAR more at first but the x95s controls warmed up to me. In terms of aesthetics I like the L85 the most but Ive never even seen one in person, let alone shot one.

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Sun Mar 03, 2019 1:09 am

I've never had the opportunity to fire a bullpup rifle, but I have had plenty of trigger time with a bullpup shotgun.

My first shotgun was a Mossberg 500/Maverick 88 bullpup (matter of fact, I still have it. It's currently sitting in my safe right now.) that I bought back in 2007.

It's heavy, butt ugly, kicks like a freaking mule, but it's fun as all hell to shoot. :clap:

As for bullpup rifles, I've only been able to handle a couple and of the ones I've handled, the Tavor felt the most comfortable. This was a pre-X95 model, but I figure the X95 Tavor might be just as comfortable to me as the early Tavor was.

I'm not sure if it counts as a bullpup, but I got to handle an FN PS90 (I think that's the semi auto model with the goofy looking 16 inch barrel) once. It's a neat gun, but its size and construction made it feel like a toy to me.

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Sun Mar 03, 2019 2:23 am

I'm not a fan of the bullpup configuration. Yes, I know and agree that they have their strong points, but they also have some weak points that make them a no-go in my book, first and foremost being magazine location and the inherent issues in doing mag swaps. I don't think anyone can really argue that the mags on bullpups aren't in an awkward location, but it's more than that. Decades of shooting have conditioned me where to reach when changing a mag, and for a rifle it sure as hell isn't my armpit. When lead is flying around you, fumbling and hesitating looking for a mag in the wrong place can have pretty lethal consequences. So thanks but no thanks, I'll keep my magazines ahead of my trigger, just as God, John Garand, Mikhail Kalashnikov, and Eugene Stoner intended. 8-)
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:50 am

I guess I'll go with the SAR, since it's the only bullpup I have.

whisk.e.rebellion wrote: It's not what you say anymore. It's how you say it.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

JF89

Post by JF89 » Sun Mar 03, 2019 11:46 pm

RickOShea wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:50 am
I guess I'll go with the SAR, since it's the only bullpup I have.

Nice, do you like it more than AR/AK pistols or SBRs? Whats the pros and cons, iyo.

JF89

Post by JF89 » Sun Mar 03, 2019 11:50 pm

NT2C wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 2:23 am
I'm not a fan of the bullpup configuration. Yes, I know and agree that they have their strong points, but they also have some weak points that make them a no-go in my book, first and foremost being magazine location and the inherent issues in doing mag swaps. I don't think anyone can really argue that the mags on bullpups aren't in an awkward location, but it's more than that. Decades of shooting have conditioned me where to reach when changing a mag, and for a rifle it sure as hell isn't my armpit. When lead is flying around you, fumbling and hesitating looking for a mag in the wrong place can have pretty lethal consequences. So thanks but no thanks, I'll keep my magazines ahead of my trigger, just as God, John Garand, Mikhail Kalashnikov, and Eugene Stoner intended. 8-)
Fair enough, a lot of people feel the sameas you. The layout is pretty exotic.

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Twilight... making zombies of our future generations

Post by JeeperCreeper » Mon Mar 04, 2019 5:03 am

Steyr because Die Hard.
They see me trollin', they hatin'.... keyboardin' tryna catch me typin' dirty
Halfapint wrote:There are some exceptions like myself and jeepercreeper.... but we are the forum asshats. We protect our positions with gusto
zero11010 wrote:The girlfriend is a good shot with a 10/22.
Her secondary offense will be nagging.

emclean
Favorite Zombie Movies: Fido
Zombieland

Post by emclean » Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:40 am

Bushmaster M17, cause it is the only one I have.

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:06 pm

The only one of those I have shot is the L85, and it was ok. I don't own any bullpup rifles but do own a KSG. I think the KSG is currently my favorite shotgun, bullpup or otherwise. But it took a bit to get it to where I liked it.
These days of dust
Which we've known
Will blow away with this new Son

But I'll kneel down wait for now
And I'll kneel down
Know my ground

JF89

Post by JF89 » Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:09 pm

Stercutus wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:06 pm
The only one of those I have shot is the L85, and it was ok. I don't own any bullpup rifles but do own a KSG. I think the KSG is currently my favorite shotgun, bullpup or otherwise. But it took a bit to get it to where I liked it.
How does the L85 stack up to the m4?(reliability, accuracy, etc)

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Tue Mar 05, 2019 2:41 am

Listening to the British guys bitching about it seems to be made out of bent nails spewed from Satan's ass. But it could just be soldiers doing what they do best; gripe about stuff. It was accurate enough but I didn't like the placement of the magwell. Once they showed me the loading tricks it was easier but dropping a mag with an AR is much more natural for me.
These days of dust
Which we've known
Will blow away with this new Son

But I'll kneel down wait for now
And I'll kneel down
Know my ground

The Twizzler
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead
Return of the Living Dead

Post by The Twizzler » Tue Mar 05, 2019 11:53 am

Steyer Aug, I always loved that gun(Diehard anyone?). I have held one but not fired one. It felt pretty good in hand and solid. I have held the Tavor and it felt kinda toy like.
"Oh Bother!" said Pooh, as he drew his dagger...

Chaos454

Post by Chaos454 » Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:48 pm

I'll go with the steyr since it's the only one I have serious training on. I spent sometime training with the Australian army, a long time ago. To be honest I'd rather run an ar or ak platform.

KevinWimerAuthor

Post by KevinWimerAuthor » Mon Aug 26, 2019 12:51 pm

I love the bullpup design. Its short and its handy for moving in tight spaces. Great for a car or truck gun. I voted Kel-Tec RDB. Its the only 556 bullpup that I own. I just bought it and I really love the look and feel of it. I have not had it to the range yet. That will come hopefully soon. Loading a new magazine into it is a bit strange. Its all muscle memory. I have shot my AR and AK a lot so this is something new to get used to. Would I take this rifle into battle . . . Not sure yet. Time will tell once I have it to the range and see how it runs. I think my AR is what I would carry (sold my AK).

I did just buy a KSG shotgun. I am buying a KS7 as well. I think as a home defense gun the KSG and KS7 are going to fit that role just fine. I think the KSG is a more proven and would be a good combat shotgun. If I had to choose KSG over my Mossberg 500 . . . Its a tough call. I have not shot the KSG but from what and where my mind set is right now, I wouldn't hesitate to pick it up and run with it. I just need some trigger time.

There are techniques in how to load a bullpup rifle and shotgun. Some good videos on YouTube. I think training and getting as much trigger time as you can is the only way to do it.

The Tavor is high on my list as is an AUG. Those are both combat proven. If I had to take my RDB with me, I wouldn't feel out gunned. Its a good system and one I want to learn more. I like that it ejects out the bottom so its truly and ambi gun.

Return to “General Firearms Discussion”