anybody know why Southern Ohio Guns has no guns for sale?

General discussions regarding topics that aren't covered in one of the other sub-forums. NO DISCUSSION OF POLITICS!

Moderators: ZS Global Moderators, ZS Postal Match Officers

flybynight

anybody know why Southern Ohio Guns has no guns for sale?

Post by flybynight » Wed Oct 03, 2018 4:10 pm

Their website doesn't even have a section for firearms anymore. Just gear, mags and parts. ( somewhat obscure parts . Like Lee Enfield buttstock)
As of now I bet you got me wrong

John Titor was right

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Re: anybody know why Southern Ohio Guns has no guns for sale?

Post by NT2C » Wed Oct 03, 2018 5:05 pm

I believe this notice I found might explain it:
Welcome SOG Customer!
Southern Ohio Gun is a Wholesale-Only Distributor to Licensed Firearms Dealers.
Because of this, we cannot sell firearms to the general public.
If you are a Non-Dealer, you may still purchase from the Non-Dealer section of our store.
If you are a Non-Dealer and would like to purchase a firearm from us, please contact your local firearms dealer for more information.
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Wed Oct 03, 2018 6:19 pm

NT2C wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 5:05 pm
I believe this notice I found might explain it:
Welcome SOG Customer!
Southern Ohio Gun is a Wholesale-Only Distributor to Licensed Firearms Dealers.
Because of this, we cannot sell firearms to the general public.
If you are a Non-Dealer, you may still purchase from the Non-Dealer section of our store.
If you are a Non-Dealer and would like to purchase a firearm from us, please contact your local firearms dealer for more information.
HUH Since when I wonder. And I wonder why the sudden change. Heck we were just discussing and referencing the stainless S & W 64's they had for sale. They even still have the ffl finder link up at the bottom of the page.

ETA found this on the about us link.

"Southern Ohio Gun started as a small retail store, and grew from there. We opened in 1982 in downtown Lebanon, Ohio, and have been providing quality firearms from around the World ever since. The company grew from five employees to a large operation requiring the effort of many people.

Southern Ohio Gun has turned from retail sales to strictly dealer wholesale. We specialize in a variety of different products including, but not limited to, shooting accessories, military surplus firearms and ammunition, new-production firearms and ammunition, police trade-ins, magazines, parts guns, and historic one-of-a-kind collectible items from the Civil War and both World Wars.

Countless hours have gone into making sure this new dealer website is the next step in S.O.G. being able to better serve those dealers that have been with us since our humble beginnings in 1982, as well as the next generation of firearms dealers across America. We hope to be adding new features and products as we go. Sign up for an account, and check back often.

To all of you, from all of us at Southern Ohio Gun - Thank you and Happy Shooting!
The SOG Team"

Too bad they used to have some great deals

John Titor was right

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Thu Oct 04, 2018 2:57 pm

Too bad. I bought one of those model 64 at a decent price.

That said being a wholesaler does make business sense especially in the current environment.

On a side note the FFL I used said he will not do business with SOG bacause of past issues. He made sure to check the operation of the 64 before he gave it to me after I told him I got it from SOG.

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Thu Oct 04, 2018 5:17 pm

raptor wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 2:57 pm
Too bad. I bought one of those model 64 at a decent price.

That said being a wholesaler does make business sense especially in the current environment.

On a side note the FFL I used said he will not do business with SOG bacause of past issues. He made sure to check the operation of the 64 before he gave it to me after I told him I got it from SOG.
I've never done business with SOG, but my FFL guy refuses to do business with Bud's for reasons he won't tell me.

The next time I stop by the shop, I ought to ask him if he orders from SOG or if he's got issues with them too.

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Fri Oct 05, 2018 1:27 pm

I have heard that about Bud's from several sources.

I typically use Aim Surplus or Classic Firearms.
www.classicfirearms.com
www.aimsurplus.com

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Fri Oct 05, 2018 3:23 pm

I've ordered an AK from Classic and various small gun parts from AIM and they've been excellent with me.

I had an issue with an order from AIM one time and it was resolved pretty quickly.

Getting back on topic, I've never done business with SOG, but I seem to recall they did something like this a few years back.

It was either them or SAMCO when they still existed.

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Fri Oct 05, 2018 4:01 pm

raptor wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 1:27 pm
I have heard that about Bud's from several sources.
I've ordered at least a dozen gunz from Buds. Never had a problem, and they're typically at my LGS 3 or 4 days later.
whisk.e.rebellion wrote: It's not what you say anymore. It's how you say it.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

yossarian
Favorite Zombie Movies: Army of Darkness, Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead(remake)

Post by yossarian » Fri Oct 05, 2018 5:00 pm

A lot of small brick and mortar guys hate Bud's because it kills their profits. When I was a counter commando we typically made about $100 over dealer price on any gun except Hi-points and Yugo SKS's when they were dirt cheap. Along comes Buds and a few kitchen table dealers and the profit goes down to $20 per gun.

ETA: AIMsurplus is awesome. I've gotten plenty of things from them. CDNN Sports was great when they'd get oddball stuff like Mateba revolvers and Claridge pistols.
" So, brave knights,
if you do doubt your courage or your strength, come no further,
for death awaits you all with nasty, big, pointy teeth."

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Sun Mar 31, 2019 10:03 am

Was looking at firearms deals this morning and wondered if SOG had changed their dealers only sales policy. Couldn't get the site to open. Googled it and their were a few results from several firearms forums. SOG closed for good 12/04/2018.

John Titor was right

emclean
Favorite Zombie Movies: Fido
Zombieland

Post by emclean » Mon Apr 01, 2019 6:58 am

SOG had been dealer only for a while. I remember trying to order form them, and being told no.
I had to stop by my LGS and they ordered it, using my CC. that had to be ten or more years ago (and I still miss that LGS).

Grabagun has decent deals, and I haven't had any problems with them.

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Mon Apr 01, 2019 9:50 am

emclean wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 6:58 am
Grabagun has decent deals, and I haven't had any problems with them.
I recently bought a Ruger PC9 through Gunbuyer.com and got it for $50 less than anywhere else, it was on the UPS truck in under 12 hours and the shipping was free, and my LGS got it 36 hours later. I'll be buying from them again. :D
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

Return to “General Firearms Discussion”