To reload or not to reload, that is the question

General discussions regarding topics that aren't covered in one of the other sub-forums. NO DISCUSSION OF POLITICS!

Moderators: ZS Global Moderators, ZS Postal Match Officers

To keep your weapons fed in the PAW it's better to:

Use ready-made cartridges from a reputable maker. Buy it cheap; stack it deep!
43%
Stock reloading components and add reloading equipment to your preps.
57%

Total votes: 14

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Re: To reload or not to reload, that is the question

Post by NT2C » Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:45 pm

JF89 wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 11:15 am
https://forum.full30.com/t/the-ammo-top ... 188?u=jf89

https://forum.full30.com/t/80-1911-buil ... 924?u=jf89

You know if any of you are interested in joining another firearm forum, full30 is very active and growing. a lot of the firearm related youtube channels have switched over and join in on the forums every now and then. The link above was from before they revamped the forum, there is now a reloading and ammo subforum. After reading through the posts here its obvious those of you still around bring a wealth of knowledge to the table and would be more then welcome over there. Just thought I would give you guys a heads up. Most people know theres a video site but not quite as many know about the forum. Im not into spamming so I wont bring it up again and I apologize if I disrupted this thread too much.
It's not spamming to post about another site or forum that also covers the topic under discussion if it's done in a reasonable way. It's something that we actually encourage here at ZS because greater knowledge is a good thing.
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto
Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except sailors. They will kill you and sing songs about it.

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

DarkAxel
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Evil Dead Series, Dawn of the Dead, Shawn of the Dead, NOTLD, Resident Evil Series

Post by DarkAxel » Sat Oct 06, 2018 12:35 am

No matter what you chose, no prepper worth his salt should rely on salvage or barter for something as important as self-defense and game-getting.

As far as the question asked in the OP I tend to fall into the "Buy it cheap and stack it deep" camp, because unless you are planning to shoot your way through the PAW you can buy more than enough ammo to meet your needs before the SHTF.

As far as reloading goes, I only see a few advantages over buying factory ammo. If you have an oddball caliber, reloading can make sure you can still feed your weapon. Reloading also allows you to squeeze the best performance out of your weapons. It can also extend the life of your ammo stores if you save the brass and stockpile reloading supplies, and provide ammo for recreational shooting without eating away at your stores. However, there are some negatives, like the need to buy specialized materials and replacement parts. Reloading rigs are machines that require maintenance and replacement parts due to wear and tear, so you'll have to prep for that, too. In my experience, reloads aren't as forgiving as factory ammo wrt storage either.

Something else to consider is the type of weapon you have. Some guns mangle brass so badly that they can't be used for reloads. Delayed blowback guns like the CETME or G3 mangle the hell out of brass.
vyadmirer wrote:Call me the paranoid type, but remember I'm on a post apocalyptic website prepared for zombies.
Fleet #: ZS 0180

Browncoat

Imma Fudd, and proud of it.

ZS Wiki

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Sat Oct 06, 2018 8:21 am

JF89 wrote:

You know if any of you are interested in joining another firearm forum, full30 is very active and growing. a lot of the firearm related youtube channels have switched over and join in on the forums every now and then. The link above was from before they revamped the forum, there is now a reloading and ammo subforum. After reading through the posts here its obvious those of you still around bring a wealth of knowledge to the table and would be more then welcome over there. Just thought I would give you guys a heads up. Most people know theres a video site but not quite as many know about the forum. Im not into spamming so I wont bring it up again and I apologize if I disrupted this thread too much.
Thank you for the links. I have been trying to support the video side of the site and try to mostly watch videos there.

The reason I am active on ZS is because everything is put into a prepping context. This context means I get more of the info I want. But I'll peek at full30 and see what is going on. Thank you.
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

JF89
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Fido , Dead Set (tv show) ,28 days/weeks later.

Post by JF89 » Sat Oct 06, 2018 9:25 am

woodsghost wrote:
Sat Oct 06, 2018 8:21 am
JF89 wrote:

Thank you for the links. I have been trying to support the video side of the site and try to mostly watch videos there.

The reason I am active on ZS is because everything is put into a prepping context. This context means I get more of the info I want. But I'll peek at full30 and see what is going on. Thank you.
Sounds good and makes sense. Theres mostly gun/gear reviews and gunsmithing videos, right now but its growing. The prepper sub forum just needs a nudge from some people with a little more knowledge on the subject. This being probably the best prepper forum that ive ever seen I figured I would bring it up. I bring up this forum too , when people ask about prepping info lol

Return to “General Firearms Discussion”