Firearms Chat 6: Year of the 10mm

General discussions regarding topics that aren't covered in one of the other sub-forums. NO DISCUSSION OF POLITICS!

Moderators: ZS Global Moderators, ZS Postal Match Officers

Stercutus

Re: Firearms Chat 6: Year of the 10mm

Post by Stercutus » Mon Sep 03, 2018 10:46 pm

I imagine you will be a grandparent one of these days
The way I understand grandparenting no diapers are involved. At least they better not be. :gonk:
From this day to the ending of the world,
But we in it shall be rememberèd—
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Tue Sep 04, 2018 7:21 am

Stercutus wrote:
Mon Sep 03, 2018 10:46 pm
I imagine you will be a grandparent one of these days
The way I understand grandparenting no diapers are involved. At least they better not be. :gonk:
As of now I bet you got me wrong

John Titor was right

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Tue Sep 04, 2018 9:10 am

If those are for me that is outstanding. I may go out and get some today. If a 46" waist is small/medium it will be a wonderful ego boost.
From this day to the ending of the world,
But we in it shall be rememberèd—
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Tue Sep 04, 2018 9:39 am

Stercutus wrote:
Tue Sep 04, 2018 9:10 am
If those are for me that is outstanding. I may go out and get some today. If a 46" waist is small/medium it will be a wonderful ego boost.
Yes. Yes I think you should. And hurry :ohdear:
As of now I bet you got me wrong

John Titor was right

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:13 am

TheContractor wrote:
Thu Aug 30, 2018 4:32 pm
NT2C wrote:
Thu Aug 30, 2018 2:45 pm

I just ordered that model grip as an add-on item when I placed an order on Amazon. I should have it by Saturday so I'll be able to try it out this weekend and see how I like it. Only $8.76 as an add-on.

I think you'll like it. After shooting mine both my dad and my father in law put them on their respective LCP's. I thought they would be problematic for pocket carry but I barely notice the difference in the pocket but really notice a difference on the firing line.
Okay, so the one for the LCP II is a little different and does not go as high as the frame pin. I'm not sure I like it at this point. It fills my hand better but I can't seat the gun as far back in the web of my hand as well as I can without, and that's got the gun moving downwards as I pull the trigger while dry firing. I'll have to get out to my buddy's place and put some rounds through it this week to see for sure if I want to keep it.
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto
Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except sailors. They will kill you and sing songs about it.

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

91Eunozs
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: All of them!

Post by 91Eunozs » Tue Sep 04, 2018 5:40 pm

My ”10mm conversion” arrived! :awesome:

Ok, ok...it’s just some .450SMC ammo and a much stiffer (24#) spring, plus a tungsten guide rod:

Even though it’s only going from a 17# to a 24# spring, it was much tougher to install...maybe because it has zero cycles too I suppose. Tungsten guide rod is noticeably heavier than the stainless steel rod I usually run:

Loaded up and back in the bedside safe... I need to mix up some ballistic gelatin and shoot some denim-covered blocks out at the ranch soon too. Also need to see how those 255gr hardcast bullets feed before I trust them to carry (woods round for me).
Molon Latte...come & take our coffee order
Doctorr Fabulous wrote:... It's fun to play pretend, but this is the internet, and it's time to be serious.
zengunfighter wrote:... you don't want to blow a tranny in the middle of a pursuit...
woodsghost wrote:... A defensive gun without training is basically a talisman. It might ward off evil, but I wouldn't count on it.

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Wed Sep 05, 2018 8:57 pm

I just found out AR500 armor is making a new ceramic IV plate weighing 4.4 pounds!

https://www.ar500armor.com/ar500-armor- ... -x-12.html

I"m pretty excited. Armor is still more theoretical than reality for me, but I"m always dreaming.
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Sat Sep 08, 2018 12:41 pm

Well, I'm not gonna burn my Levi's (I don't own any) but... Levi Strauss went and screwed the pooch.
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto
Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except sailors. They will kill you and sing songs about it.

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Sat Sep 08, 2018 1:53 pm

NT2C wrote:
Sat Sep 08, 2018 12:41 pm
Well, I'm not gonna burn my Levi's (I don't own any) but... Levi Strauss went and screwed the pooch.
I'm more of a Wrangler guy myself, but that's mostly because their jeans actually fit me better than Levi's stuff.

That and I can get two pairs of Wrangler jeans for the price of one pair of Levi's.

quazi

Post by quazi » Sat Sep 08, 2018 6:44 pm

I've got a bolt-action rifle that I have setup for target shooting in the winter. I was thinking about going full-derp and giving it a winter camo paint job. This would be for fun, since I pretty much just use this rifle for target shooting and not anything practical.

I skimmed through a couple articles about giving bolt-guns rattle can jobs, but I'm still a little fuzzy when it comes to the bolt itself. It's a shiny, jeweled bolt so it would look pretty weird on a camo rifle. I'm a little worried about making the bolt sticky so that it doesn't cycle smoothly. I was thinking about just giving it a light dusting to take the shine down. There are a couple parts that look like they come into more significant contact with the receiver that I might tape off and leave bare.

Would that being doing it right? Does it generally not cause any problems to paint the bolt? It might be best just to scrap the whole idea since I'm just doing it for the lulz anyway.

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Sun Sep 09, 2018 9:45 am

quazi wrote:
Sat Sep 08, 2018 6:44 pm
I've got a bolt-action rifle that I have setup for target shooting in the winter. I was thinking about going full-derp and giving it a winter camo paint job. This would be for fun, since I pretty much just use this rifle for target shooting and not anything practical.

I skimmed through a couple articles about giving bolt-guns rattle can jobs, but I'm still a little fuzzy when it comes to the bolt itself. It's a shiny, jeweled bolt so it would look pretty weird on a camo rifle. I'm a little worried about making the bolt sticky so that it doesn't cycle smoothly. I was thinking about just giving it a light dusting to take the shine down. There are a couple parts that look like they come into more significant contact with the receiver that I might tape off and leave bare.

Would that being doing it right? Does it generally not cause any problems to paint the bolt? It might be best just to scrap the whole idea since I'm just doing it for the lulz anyway.
I just googled this last night. The answers I liked the most were "no krylon. Only cerakote or duracoat. Maybe a bluing/parkerizing agent." But I"m not sure bluing or parkerizing would work on a SS bolt.

My search terms were "painting bolt on a bolt action rifle." I'd link to the forum posts I found, but the site apparently is very aggressive with ads for PC. It was more friendly to my Android. Also, the search terms brought up videos.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Sun Sep 09, 2018 11:18 am

Bluing won't work on stainless steel, Woodsghost.

Not sure why, but I've been told it has something to do with the amount of carbon in the steel and there not being enough in stainless steel for the bluing chemicals to attach to.

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Sun Sep 09, 2018 6:39 pm

That spray-&-bake Wheeler cerama coat sticks to stainless steel fairly well, but I believe it only comes in black, FDE, foliage green, and OD green. It's kinda pricey at $27 for a small can, but it can be removed fairly easily with something like Klean-Strip.

Some Wheeler FDE on my old stainless Minimag....

whisk.e.rebellion wrote: It's not what you say anymore. It's how you say it.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Sun Sep 09, 2018 7:11 pm

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
Sun Sep 09, 2018 11:18 am
Bluing won't work on stainless steel, Woodsghost.

Not sure why, but I've been told it has something to do with the amount of carbon in the steel and there not being enough in stainless steel for the bluing chemicals to attach to.
Right. SS has a high chrome content, which resists corrosion. Parkerizing and blueing are a form of rust. Controlled rust. I bet that is why it does not work well. Although, SS DOES rust. It just takes effort.
RickOShea wrote:
Sun Sep 09, 2018 6:39 pm
Some Wheeler FDE on my old stainless Minimag....

Sigh...ye old Minimag....

I have an Automag, bolted into an M1 Carbine stock. It is fun. I have not shot that in probably 10 years.

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Sun Sep 09, 2018 7:41 pm

woodsghost wrote:
Sun Sep 09, 2018 7:11 pm

I have an Automag, bolted into an M1 Carbine stock. It is fun. I have not shot that in probably 10 years.
I got that one back in '94. It was my first "good" marker. Used it for many a 5-man woodsball tourney, 24 hour scenario game and tons of regular recball, until I got my first electro-pnuematic gun in 2000. Mechanical markers and play on woods and hyper fields are making a come back. Maybe it's time to dust off the old Mags and Cockers. :awesome:

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Sun Sep 09, 2018 8:27 pm

RickOShea wrote:
Sun Sep 09, 2018 7:41 pm
woodsghost wrote:
Sun Sep 09, 2018 7:11 pm

I got that one back in '94. It was my first "good" marker. Used it for many a 5-man woodsball tourney, 24 hour scenario game and tons of regular recball, until I got my first electro-pnuematic gun in 2000. Mechanical markers and play on woods and hyper fields are making a come back. Maybe it's time to dust off the old Mags and Cockers. :awesome:

Aww man. That brings back some memories.

I was playing stock class for years. Using a little PGP. Played from 1999 to 2012. I also had a Phantom. But I love the old brass guns. I eventually got some sort of old Sheridan gun from the 80's. That was my favorite. I eventually got a little old and a little lazy, and went to semis. I used a Tippman 98. That was fun.

Those Cockers, and the original pump versions, "Snipers," I believe? Sniper I, Sniper II? Those are classic.

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Mon Sep 10, 2018 5:20 pm

woodsghost wrote:
Sun Sep 09, 2018 8:27 pm
Those Cockers, and the original pump versions, "Snipers," I believe? Sniper I, Sniper II? Those are classic.
Autocockers, you either love 'em or hate 'em. I have an old DYE Reflex cocker, but it is in serious need of a rebuild and retiming.

w3rdtoyamama
Favorite Zombie Movies: Resident Evil series.

Post by w3rdtoyamama » Tue Sep 11, 2018 5:15 pm

Ahhh paintball. Id take autocockers and put a pump kit on them. That was fun.
Czechnology wrote:Lots of people enjoy saying "Move" when people complain about their local/state laws, but that's a churlish, ignorant thing to say.

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Tue Sep 11, 2018 5:53 pm

My only experience with paintball markers was a cheapo pump one I got from Walmart for my birthday when I was 12.

That gun did not last long before the pump got jammed and it no longer worked. My brothers tried to fix it (since they were the ones who jammed it) but it was no use.

It was probably for the best since I lost interest in paintball stuff soon after I got the marker and moved on to other hobbies.

Brekar
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead - Night/Dawn/Day of the Dead - Zombieland - Dead Snow - etc...

Post by Brekar » Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:28 pm

I used to play paintball a lot during high school and my early 20's. My favorite high school job was at an underground paintball field here in KC, I Worked there for a little over 4 years. I used to play with an electric Spyder with an electric hopper. Had a lot of fun doing it.

w3rdtoyamama

Post by w3rdtoyamama » Thu Sep 13, 2018 4:58 pm

Convince me I do not need anymore handguns, esp compact handguns.
Czechnology wrote:Lots of people enjoy saying "Move" when people complain about their local/state laws, but that's a churlish, ignorant thing to say.

Halfapint
Favorite Zombie Movies: all?

Post by Halfapint » Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:06 pm

w3rdtoyamama wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 4:58 pm
You indeed DO NEED more. Hope that helps!
JeeperCreeper wrote:I like huge dicks, Halfapint, so you are OK in my book.... hahaha
Spazzy wrote:Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

yossarian
Favorite Zombie Movies: Army of Darkness, Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead(remake)

Post by yossarian » Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:16 pm

w3rdtoyamama wrote:
You have plenty. You don't need any more, you just need different ones. I'll cover shipping to my FFL to help you make room in the safe.
" So, brave knights,
if you do doubt your courage or your strength, come no further,
for death awaits you all with nasty, big, pointy teeth."

w3rdtoyamama

Post by w3rdtoyamama » Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:34 pm

yossarian wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:16 pm
w3rdtoyamama wrote:
You have plenty. You don't need any more, you just need different ones. I'll cover shipping to my FFL to help you make room in the safe.
HAHA! Thats good.

PMd info :rofl:

Return to “General Firearms Discussion”