Firearms Chat 6: Year of the 10mm

General discussions regarding topics that aren't covered in one of the other sub-forums. NO DISCUSSION OF POLITICS!

Moderators: ZS Global Moderators, ZS Postal Match Officers

00dlez
ZS Member
ZS Member

Re: Firearms Chat 6: Year of the 10mm

Post by 00dlez » Sat Aug 25, 2018 4:17 pm

I live in an urban area and WalMarts dont sell firearms locally - have to take a drive out state tomorrow for a hike and maybe come back with something :awesome:
Batman has a pretty good EDC. - Purple_Mutant

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Sat Aug 25, 2018 5:37 pm

Sounds like this clearance sale at certain WalDaddys started a week ago, but it didn't blow-up on the interwebz until 2 or 3 days ago....I suspect most of the affected guns have already walked out the doors.
whisk.e.rebellion wrote: It's not what you say anymore. It's how you say it.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Sat Aug 25, 2018 5:45 pm

I went to Walmart one in Southern Mississippi one in Southern Louisiana.. There was no such sale in my area.

Lots of inventory but all at regular prices.

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Sat Aug 25, 2018 5:54 pm

00dlez wrote:
Sat Aug 25, 2018 4:17 pm
I live in an urban area and WalMarts dont sell firearms locally - have to take a drive out state tomorrow for a hike and maybe come back with something :awesome:
Same here. I got out and visited, then remembered the sad reality.
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Sat Aug 25, 2018 7:28 pm

raptor wrote:
Sat Aug 25, 2018 5:45 pm
I went to Walmart one and Southern Mississippi won in Southern Louisiana.. There was no such sale in my area.

Lots of inventory but all at regular prices.
I wonder if it's only at certain Walmarts in the US ?

I guess if the Walmart near my place doesn't have any mega sales on guns, I'll just find a back up gift idea.

Matter of fact, CDNN just sent me an email with some items that interest me.

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Sat Aug 25, 2018 7:31 pm

The urban Walmarts near me do not sell firearms. However the ones in South Mississippi and LA do sell firearms and they did have a mini 14 in stock but no Weatherbys. They always have Ruger 10/22. Always.

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Sat Aug 25, 2018 8:40 pm

There's only one Walmart near me that doesn't sell guns, but the other three that I go to on a semi regular basis all still do.

And they always have some flavor of 10/22 in stock too. One of them always has a Henry lever action 22lr rifle as well.

Not sure if it's the same one or they just have multiples, but there's always a Henry lever action in the gun case there.

Zed Hunter

Post by Zed Hunter » Sat Aug 25, 2018 10:02 pm

I obtained a loan wolf 10mm barrel and mags for my G 21. Now I need a 22 lb recoil spring.

Langenator
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, Zombieland, Shaun of the Dead (and Larry Correia's Monster Hunter series if they ever make them into movies)

Post by Langenator » Sun Aug 26, 2018 6:01 am

Zed Hunter wrote:
Sat Aug 25, 2018 10:02 pm
I obtained a loan wolf 10mm barrel and mags for my G 21. Now I need a 22 lb recoil spring.
A loan wolf...is that nicer or nastier than a loan shark? :crazy:
Fortunis Fortus Paratus

91Eunozs
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: All of them!

Post by 91Eunozs » Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:15 am

Looks like Primary Arms is having 24-hour flash sales again. Gas blocks for $9.99

https://www.primaryarms.com/radical-fir ... ourSale_v2
Molon Latte...come & take our coffee order
Doctorr Fabulous wrote:... It's fun to play pretend, but this is the internet, and it's time to be serious.
zengunfighter wrote:... you don't want to blow a tranny in the middle of a pursuit...
woodsghost wrote:... A defensive gun without training is basically a talisman. It might ward off evil, but I wouldn't count on it.

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Sun Aug 26, 2018 1:22 pm

In the previous firearms chat thread I talked about how I was getting back into CCW. I got a holster and it was printing rather severely with IWB and a LC9. I was told about how a stiff belt can help, and how wearing different types of shirts can help. I understand the shirts thing, and I've experimented with that. I"m starting to get a placement/clothing combo which works better.

But would anyone be willing to explain the belts thing to me some more? Or post some videos or articles you like? thanks!

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

w3rdtoyamama
Favorite Zombie Movies: Resident Evil series.

Post by w3rdtoyamama » Sun Aug 26, 2018 2:01 pm

Shirts will be your best bet to cover up. Im not sure how the belt thing works. I hate tight clothing, even when I was thinner. What kind of pants are printing the LC9?
Czechnology wrote:Lots of people enjoy saying "Move" when people complain about their local/state laws, but that's a churlish, ignorant thing to say.

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Sun Aug 26, 2018 2:12 pm

w3rdtoyamama wrote:
Sun Aug 26, 2018 2:01 pm
Shirts will be your best bet to cover up. Im not sure how the belt thing works. I hate tight clothing, even when I was thinner. What kind of pants are printing the LC9?
Dickies heavy canvas work pants from Walmart. Heavily used, so not as thick as they used to be.

I mentioned before, I'm 6 feet tall and now 150lbs. So I'm on the skinny side. And my wife likes when I wear tight clothing, so I tend to wear tighter shirts (and tighter pants on special occasions, but I like looser pants). I'm going to have to make some adjustments. But I was wondering what I was missing with the "heavy/stiff belt" advice.

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Sun Aug 26, 2018 3:35 pm

woodsghost wrote:
Sun Aug 26, 2018 2:12 pm
I was wondering what I was missing with the "heavy/stiff belt" advice.
Stiffer belts hold the weight of the firearm better, keeping it up tight and against your body (provided you have the correct style of holster). When I carry my SAR B6P I do so with a Mask leather three slot OWB using a forward cant, riding on a full thickness stitched saddle leather 1.5" belt. With a light, loose shirt over top (I prefer Hawaiian shirt a size bigger than I'd normally wear) I almost never print and most people have no idea I'm armed. The combination of the holster and the belt both pull the butt tight against me while the leather holster turns the obvious "gun" outline into a smooth little rise on my hip, hardly noticeable.
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto
Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except sailors. They will kill you and sing songs about it.

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Sun Aug 26, 2018 4:53 pm

NT2C wrote:
Sun Aug 26, 2018 3:35 pm
woodsghost wrote:
Stiffer belts hold the weight of the firearm better, keeping it up tight and against your body (provided you have the correct style of holster). When I carry my SAR B6P I do so with a Mask leather three slot OWB using a forward cant, riding on a full thickness stitched saddle leather 1.5" belt. With a light, loose shirt over top (I prefer Hawaiian shirt a size bigger than I'd normally wear) I almost never print and most people have no idea I'm armed. The combination of the holster and the belt both pull the butt tight against me while the leather holster turns the obvious "gun" outline into a smooth little rise on my hip, hardly noticeable.
Excellent. I"ll need to get another holster then, and maybe look for some better belts. My primary belt is Hungarian surplus, probably 1.25 to 1.5 inches wide, full leather belt. But I need to move towards OWB carry in more subtle packaging.

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Sun Aug 26, 2018 5:12 pm

woodsghost wrote:
Sun Aug 26, 2018 4:53 pm
NT2C wrote:
Sun Aug 26, 2018 3:35 pm
woodsghost wrote:
Excellent. I"ll need to get another holster then, and maybe look for some better belts. My primary belt is Hungarian surplus, probably 1.25 to 1.5 inches wide, full leather belt. But I need to move towards OWB carry in more subtle packaging.
I highly recommend these folks on eBay: https://www.ebay.com/itm/50WS-ST-1-1-2- ... 2405!US!-1

That's the belt I'm currently wearing and there is zero sag to it with even my full-size 9mm double stack on it.
Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except sailors. They will kill you and sing songs about it.

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

yossarian
Favorite Zombie Movies: Army of Darkness, Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead(remake)

Post by yossarian » Sun Aug 26, 2018 7:54 pm

NT2C wrote:
Sun Aug 26, 2018 5:12 pm

I highly recommend these folks on eBay: https://www.ebay.com/itm/50WS-ST-1-1-2- ... 2405!US!-1

That's the belt I'm currently wearing and there is zero sag to it with even my full-size 9mm double stack on it.
How long have you had it? That's a very good price on a gun belt.

A good belt goes a long way to make up for a crappy holster, but not the other way around.
" So, brave knights,
if you do doubt your courage or your strength, come no further,
for death awaits you all with nasty, big, pointy teeth."

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Sun Aug 26, 2018 8:50 pm

yossarian wrote:
Sun Aug 26, 2018 7:54 pm
NT2C wrote:
Sun Aug 26, 2018 5:12 pm

How long have you had it? That's a very good price on a gun belt.

A good belt goes a long way to make up for a crappy holster, but not the other way around.
I have a couple of them. One I've had for about 6 years. The one I'm currently wearing is two years old.

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Mon Aug 27, 2018 5:58 pm

TFB: Summer 2018’s Top 10 Best Selling Handguns

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

91Eunozs
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: All of them!

Post by 91Eunozs » Mon Aug 27, 2018 11:32 pm

Zed Hunter wrote:
I obtained a lone wolf 10mm barrel and mags for my G21. Now I need a 22 lb recoil spring.
I just took a similar tack...I’m sorely tempted by the 10mm siren song, but just ordered a 24# recoil spring/tungsten guide rod for my G21 from the Glockmeister (22# version fron the Glockstore probably would work as well) along with some .450SMC ammo in a variety of flavors from Double Tap.

10mm velocity and energy for the cost of the recoil spring (could disassemble the assembly if I wanted to use the same guide rod). The .45 Super and .450 SMC round has been around awhile but never took off like the 10mm has lately. I like it because I shoot and reload a lot of .45, so the longer term economics work out better for me...and I can shoot .45 like normal too.

Gonna use the 185gr JHPs at 1,350fps (maybe a bit more from my 5.3” Stormlake barrel) as my defensive load. Depending on how the 255gr hard cast Semi Wad Cutter (SWC) rounds function in the Glock mags, I may need to upgrade one of my 1911s as well.

Or maybe this is the excuse I need to get a S&W 625 in .45ACP!

And that STI Marauder in 10mm at my local gun shop has to go on sale at some point, right? :lol:
Molon Latte...come & take our coffee order
Doctorr Fabulous wrote:... It's fun to play pretend, but this is the internet, and it's time to be serious.
zengunfighter wrote:... you don't want to blow a tranny in the middle of a pursuit...
woodsghost wrote:... A defensive gun without training is basically a talisman. It might ward off evil, but I wouldn't count on it.

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:40 am

91Eunozs wrote:
Mon Aug 27, 2018 11:32 pm
Zed Hunter wrote:
I obtained a lone wolf 10mm barrel and mags for my G21. Now I need a 22 lb recoil spring.
I just took a similar tack...I’m sorely tempted by the 10mm siren song, but just ordered a 24# recoil spring/tungsten guide rod for my G21 from the Glockmeister (22# version fron the Glockstore probably would work as well) along with some .450SMC ammo in a variety of flavors from Double Tap.
Please educate me on this subject. I was under the impression that a Glock 20 in 10mm could be easily and safely converted to .45acp but I did not know the Glock 21 could safely be converted to 10mm.

chills1994

Post by chills1994 » Tue Aug 28, 2018 1:08 pm

Langenator wrote:
Thu Aug 23, 2018 11:37 am
Speer only lists the muzzle velocity at 1100 fps...it's like they're not even trying. And Lucky Gunner's test only gave it 1029 average.

In other (non)news, I'm still waiting for CZ to make the -97B in 10mm. CZ-USA posted a thing of FB, asking if people preferred their 10mm 1911 threaded or longslide. I wasn't the only one who chimed in with -97. So there might be hope. Maybe.
I have my old Speer reloading manual from 1994, so I will have to take a look at their 10mm data and velocities versus today's reloading manual's velocities for the 10 mike mike.

Back in early May, I bought a Sig TacOps in 10mm. I probably mentioned it in the other chat thread. The factory S&B ammo I shot over my chronograph was about 1,100 fps. That was for the 180 grainers.

In USPSA and IDPA lingo, that would be 198 power factor.

The WWB .45 ACP 230 grain ammo I have shot (through 5 inch barrel'ed 1911s) seemed to be right on all the time at 196 power factor.

So really in theory the 10mm ammo had the same recoil/kick/flip as a 1911 .45 .

Guns are icky!

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Tue Aug 28, 2018 1:21 pm

chills1994 wrote:
Tue Aug 28, 2018 1:08 pm
So really in theory the 10mm ammo had the same recoil/kick/flip as a 1911 .45 .
In theory there is no difference between theory and practice.....while in practice, there is.Image

Langenator
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, Zombieland, Shaun of the Dead (and Larry Correia's Monster Hunter series if they ever make them into movies)

Post by Langenator » Tue Aug 28, 2018 4:20 pm

I saw a guy on campus the other day wearing a t-shirt that said "Sure it's great in practice...but how does it work in theory?" :awesome:
Fortunis Fortus Paratus

Return to “General Firearms Discussion”