Firearms Chat 6: Year of the 10mm

General discussions regarding topics that aren't covered in one of the other sub-forums. NO DISCUSSION OF POLITICS!

Moderators: ZS Global Moderators, ZS Postal Match Officers

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Re: Firearms Chat 6: Year of the 10mm

Post by NT2C » Wed Apr 24, 2019 7:37 pm

Langenator wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 5:17 pm

Hmmm...I also don't see it on the list of lights available for Safariland holsters (what I use at work). Wonder if it will fit in a TLR-1 holster?
I think, from looking at it and remembering the size of a TLR-1, the two are almost the same size and what holster works for one should work for the other.
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

boskone

Post by boskone » Wed Apr 24, 2019 7:49 pm

Sent in the order for an M1 from the CMP. Haven't gotten it yet, but I haven't been this excited about something in a while. :clap:

Was going to get a Special grade, but ended up going with a "Special Field" grade. $400 cheaper, pitting on the receiver, still a new-production barrel. The pictures I saw in a few threads didn't look at all bad; some had to be very close up for the pitting to even be visible. $100 more than the service grade seems like a fair trade for a new barrel.

Here's hoping I got everything filled out like they want, didn't forget any of the various bits they need included. :ohdear:

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Wed Apr 24, 2019 7:49 pm

Ammoland.com - SIG SAUER Releases Legendary, American Made, P210 Standard Pistol

With a history that dates back to 1949, the SIG SAUER P210 was the combat handgun for the Swiss Military, and is regarded as one of the most legendary, reliable, and accurate firearms in the world. Today, SIG SAUER, Inc. is pleased to introduce the American Made P210 Standard pistol to the U.S. Commercial Market featuring modern improvements, at a price-point that will allow more consumers to enjoy this timeless pistol.

The SIG SAUER P210 Standard is a 9mm hammer-fired pistol, with a precision machined stainless steel slide and frame. The pistol features iron sights, upgraded ergonomic controls including a relocated manual thumb-safety for easier accessibility, a target grade trigger, custom walnut grips, a side magazine release, and improved beavertail. The pistol comes standard with two 8-round magazines.

whisk.e.rebellion wrote: It's not what you say anymore. It's how you say it.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:17 pm

This is a really impressive video of a CCW in action defending a life against 2 criminals. And while I"m a fan of revolvers, this video makes an excellent argument for carrying as much gun with as much ammo as possible. I have seen a few such videos. The other excellent point here is that one MUST train and practice both drawing and shooting. The footage looks to have been taken in August of 2018. Near midnight, which I find interesting. As my signature below says, it is wise to be home and off the streets by 10pm. :)

https://www.full30.com/watch/MDIwNDMy/m ... -attackers

....and some classic Clint Smith.

*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Sat Apr 27, 2019 10:54 pm

MODEL 336 DARK SERIES

The speed and accuracy of Marlin lever actions blacked-out and tricked out for the modern hunter. Our new Dark Series rifles feature a stealthy-tough black matte parkerized finish and a black-webbed hardwood stock, with a host of performance enhancements, including a threaded barrel, big-loop lever and XS Lever Rail with ghost ring peep that also accommodates a wide variety of optics.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Sat Apr 27, 2019 11:45 pm

woodsghost wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:17 pm
This is a really impressive video of a CCW in action defending a life against 2 criminals. And while I"m a fan of revolvers, this video makes an excellent argument for carrying as much gun with as much ammo as possible. I have seen a few such videos. The other excellent point here is that one MUST train and practice both drawing and shooting. The footage looks to have been taken in August of 2018. Near midnight, which I find interesting. As my signature below says, it is wise to be home and off the streets by 10pm. :)

https://www.full30.com/watch/MDIwNDMy/m ... -attackers

....and some classic Clint Smith.

hmm He fired eight times at the one assailant and twice at the other. THe other was out of camera frame when fired on. Wonder what was going on there that caused him to fire only two times and switch focus right back to the first guy
As of now I bet you got me wrong

John Titor was right

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Sun Apr 28, 2019 7:43 am

flybynight wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2019 11:45 pm

hmm He fired eight times at the one assailant and twice at the other. THe other was out of camera frame when fired on. Wonder what was going on there that caused him to fire only two times and switch focus right back to the first guy
Great question. I'm wondering if the other criminal was still hanging around and maybe even moving back into the fight? The CCW holder was extremely precise and seemed very "textbook correct" in his(?) responses, so I assume there was a very good reason for engaging the second shooter. I also notice there was no weapon light, which I"m wondering about and thinking that might be a very useful thing to acquire. I just don't feel like getting one for my pistol right now, but my HD gun has one. I think a light will find it's way to my pistol before too long.

I was also surprised about the second engagement of the first criminal, but I assume the CCW holder had a great reason to continue engaging. Probably something like "he was still moving and acting as a threat"?
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Mon Apr 29, 2019 10:53 pm

TTAG - New From LWRC: SMG-45 .45 ACP SBR and Pistol

LWRC surprised everyone at NRAAM this year by releasing a completely new platform, the SMG-45. It’s a .45 ACP subgun that takes HK UMP magazines. For the commercial market it will be available in both SBR and SB Tactical pistol-braced pistol forms.

The right side of the LWRC SMG-45 features a bolt release and bolt catch that mirrors the AR-style one on the left side. The safety lever is ambidextrous, too, as is the paddle-style magazine release under the rear of the magazine well.

A non-reciprocating forward charging handle can be swapped from the left to the right side depending on the user’s preference. Naturally, the muzzle is threaded. Helping that threaded muzzle be more effective when suppressed and greatly cutting down on felt recoil as compared to a straight blowback system is a unique delayed blowback mechanism. The barrel and bolt travel rearwards together for a short distance before unlocking, which delays the opening of the action and allows the pressure to drop and more of the gas and pressure to exit the muzzle rather than the ejection port.

But hoo-eee it ain’t cheap at an MSRP of $2,995.

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Mon Apr 29, 2019 10:59 pm

I think we need a new type of firearms competition. Cowboy action shooting seems really popular but rather... rural based. I think we need a more... urban style of competition.

Ghetto Action Shooting

Having grown up in NYC and lived and worked there until 2000 it strikes me that Ghetto Action Shooting would be a completely different type of competition, just as fun as cowboy action shooting, but with that gritty, inner city feel of a couple of memorable shootouts I remember oh so well from my youth.

:crazy: :clownshoes:

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Mon Apr 29, 2019 11:00 pm

RickOShea wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 10:53 pm
TTAG - New From LWRC: SMG-45 .45 ACP SBR and Pistol

LWRC surprised everyone at NRAAM this year by releasing a completely new platform, the SMG-45. It’s a .45 ACP subgun that takes HK UMP magazines. For the commercial market it will be available in both SBR and SB Tactical pistol-braced pistol forms.

The right side of the LWRC SMG-45 features a bolt release and bolt catch that mirrors the AR-style one on the left side. The safety lever is ambidextrous, too, as is the paddle-style magazine release under the rear of the magazine well.

A non-reciprocating forward charging handle can be swapped from the left to the right side depending on the user’s preference. Naturally, the muzzle is threaded. Helping that threaded muzzle be more effective when suppressed and greatly cutting down on felt recoil as compared to a straight blowback system is a unique delayed blowback mechanism. The barrel and bolt travel rearwards together for a short distance before unlocking, which delays the opening of the action and allows the pressure to drop and more of the gas and pressure to exit the muzzle rather than the ejection port.

But hoo-eee it ain’t cheap at an MSRP of $2,995.

I was drooling right up until the price tag, after which I had a sudden case of dry mouth. :(

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Tue Apr 30, 2019 8:02 pm

Looks like my Ghetto Action Shooting Drive By killed Chat? :(

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Tue Apr 30, 2019 8:13 pm

NT2C wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2019 8:02 pm
Looks like my Ghetto Action Shooting Drive By killed Chat? :(
Nah, I think it was the 3k UMP clone that did it.

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Wed May 01, 2019 6:42 am

I pulled my Glock 22 out of deep storage put a couple of hundred rounds through it and decided I still like it enough to put it back in storage.

I looked at the price tags on the boxes of ammo I bought 4-5 years ago and near had a heart attack. Hard to believe that 40S&W target ammo was over $.50/rd back then. I also noticed that whatever HP ammo I bought back then has lost a bit more velocity than the WWB ammo from the same era. I don't know exactly what kind it was since I threw the boxes away after loading the mags (five years ago) but I don't have any more so no worries.
You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Thu May 02, 2019 5:37 pm

RECOIL - Back to the Future at Wilson Combat

These days, when it’s not uncommon for aficionados to wind up with a couple grand in custom work on a Glock, the EDC X9 is marketed as an alternative to having yet another CNC-milled, gold TiNi barreled, heavily stippled Instagram-ready blaster.

Debuting at the NRAAM this year is a stablemate to the original 4-inch EDC X9. The new gun is a 5-inch variant, perhaps obviously dubbed the EDC X9L.

In addition to being a full inch longer, with the concomitant bumps in muzzle velocity and sight radius, the barrel of the new gun has a conventional 1911-style barrel bushing up front, in a departure from the bull barrel on the 4-inch gun. However, it still features a single locking lug at the rear for smooth operation and more reliability when dry or dirty. The gun also features a detachable magwell that will allow use with longer 18-round magazines when attached, or the conventional 15-round flush-fit mags when removed.

Langenator
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, Zombieland, Shaun of the Dead (and Larry Correia's Monster Hunter series if they ever make them into movies)

Post by Langenator » Fri May 03, 2019 6:21 am

So, I've got this now:

PSA KS-47, lower and upper bought separately and finally together.

I really, really want an AK-74 type muzzle brake, because reasons. Anyone know where I can find one threaded for an AR barrel?
Fortunis Fortus Paratus

boskone

Post by boskone » Fri May 03, 2019 9:17 am

Langenator wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 6:21 am
So, I've got this now:

I really, really want an AK-74 type muzzle brake, because reasons. Anyone know where I can find one threaded for an AR barrel?
I think Bushmaster ships (used to ship?) with some.

Maybe see if there's an adapter?

And it's kind of a last-ditch options, but those are long enough (like 3"?) that you could maybe lop the threads off and have the barrel rethreaded?

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Fri May 03, 2019 9:29 am

Langenator wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 6:21 am

CNC Warrior makes a ton of muzzle devices in various thread/pitch sizes.

*Ugh*….but their 1/2x28 AK-74-type brakes are currently out-of-stock.

JF89
Favorite Zombie Movies: Fido , Dead Set (tv show) ,28 days/weeks later.

Post by JF89 » Fri May 03, 2019 10:02 am

NT2C wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 10:59 pm
I think we need a new type of firearms competition. Cowboy action shooting seems really popular but rather... rural based. I think we need a more... urban style of competition.

Ghetto Action Shooting

Having grown up in NYC and lived and worked there until 2000 it strikes me that Ghetto Action Shooting would be a completely different type of competition, just as fun as cowboy action shooting, but with that gritty, inner city feel of a couple of memorable shootouts I remember oh so well from my youth.

:crazy: :clownshoes:
"Urban Cowboy" sounds more official. Might end up with an assless chaps brokeback mountain event if you start these up around San Francisco or Portland.

boskone

Post by boskone » Fri May 03, 2019 11:37 am

boskone wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 7:49 pm
Sent in the order for an M1 from the CMP. Haven't gotten it yet, but I haven't been this excited about something in a while. :clap:
Guess what just showed up? (OK, yea, quoting myself totally gave it away.) I'm absolutely stoked.

Can't get it to the range, though. No ammo until Monday (ordered 20rd of everything SGAmmo had that was M1-safe), and we're in the middle of several days of thunderstorms.

I understand there's an aftermarket gas lock (screw?) that allows modern commercial ammo to be shot (I guess it has a vent channel for excess pressure? Haven't looked much yet), but I'll shoot known-safe ammo first to get a feel for things. The only reason I care about commercial ammo is so I have at least the option of grabbing COTS ammo if I needed.

Not directly related to this, apparently FedEx doesn't allow drivers to take tips. The dude delivered this on time in the middle of a torrential downpour, I figured a few bucks as a thank-you was eminently deserved (and not in the "restaurants underpay waitstaff because you're expected to tip" manner). I didn't think of it until too late, but I should have offered the dude a poncho.

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Fri May 03, 2019 12:50 pm

When you get an M1 from the CMP, is it clean and ready to go or is there still a bunch of cosmoline in it that requires a deep cleaning ?

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Fri May 03, 2019 2:36 pm

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 12:50 pm
When you get an M1 from the CMP, is it clean and ready to go or is there still a bunch of cosmoline in it that requires a deep cleaning ?
It is ready to lock and load and shoot. Even the lowest quality ones they sell are clean and shootable. You do need the correct milspec ammo to prevent possibly damaging the weapon.
You go over and under
I go through

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Fri May 03, 2019 2:41 pm

boskone wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 11:37 am
boskone wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 7:49 pm
Guess what just showed up? (OK, yea, quoting myself totally gave it away.) I'm absolutely stoked.

I understand there's an aftermarket gas lock (screw?) that allows modern commercial ammo to be shot (I guess it has a vent channel for excess pressure? Haven't looked much yet), but I'll shoot known-safe ammo first to get a feel for things. The only reason I care about commercial ammo is so I have at least the option of grabbing COTS ammo if I needed.
I don't know about the gas screw thing. When I bought ours (not this decade) I also bought what is essenitally a lifetime supply of milsurp ammo from CMP because it was so cheap back then. A couple of years later SG bought out their entire stock and then doubled the price. I try not to hate but it is tough.

Those guns are fun to shoot and recoil is suprising light, especially if you are used to shooting bolt Milsurp guns.
You go over and under
I go through

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Fri May 03, 2019 2:42 pm

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
Each M1 Garand rifle sold by CMP is an authentic U.S. Government rifle that has been....

boskone

Post by boskone » Fri May 03, 2019 2:47 pm

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
The CMP doesn't, to the best of my recollection, say specifically. People seem to get them in conditions anywhere from "Encased in cosmoline like Han Solo in carbonite" to "Ready to fire". Probably depends on how much work was needed to get it to spec; I ordered a "special field grade" (at minimum new wood and barrel, plus whatever other parts deemed necessary), and it seems clean and dry from an external view.

I will tear it down for cleaning probably next weekend, when I get the grease and a gas lock tool.

If you get seriously interested, one other thing I found (mentioned briefly above) is that the M1s are a bit problematic about ammo in their stock config: anything more energetic--faster and/or larger--than M2 ball can damage the rifle. You can order M2-spec ammo (I have 1 20rd box each of 5 brands en-route to try), but for commercial ammo you're advised to use a replacement gas lock screw. There's one with no "extra bits" from Garand Gear (reviewed by InRangeTV), and a Schuster one that lets you tune the vented gas. I'm not sure which is better yet; I'm going to zero with the M2 spec stuff and see if any of the brands are different, then maybe start mucking about with commercial ammo. Maybe see what dad's got for his M1903.

Return to “General Firearms Discussion”