Firearms Chat 6: Year of the 10mm

General discussions regarding topics that aren't covered in one of the other sub-forums. NO DISCUSSION OF POLITICS!

Moderators: ZS Global Moderators, ZS Postal Match Officers

w3rdtoyamama
Favorite Zombie Movies: Resident Evil series.

Re: Firearms Chat 6: Year of the 10mm

Post by w3rdtoyamama » Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:35 pm

Halfapint wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:06 pm
w3rdtoyamama wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 4:58 pm
Convince me I do not need anymore handguns, esp compact handguns.
You indeed DO NEED more. Hope that helps!
It did. My wife may stop by and ask why I bought another one. Lucky for you, its a 3000 mile walk for her :clap:
Czechnology wrote:Lots of people enjoy saying "Move" when people complain about their local/state laws, but that's a churlish, ignorant thing to say.

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:42 pm

w3rdtoyamama wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 4:58 pm
Convince me I do not need anymore handguns, esp compact handguns.
Childreth's law states that the number of handguns a person acquires admits a map to the 2-sphere that is non-trivial (i.e. non-homotopic to a constant map), when the 2nd Betti number of M is positive. This means the 2nd cohomology group has positive rank (by the universal coefficient theorem for cohomology), so it has a non-zero element. The properties of Eilenberg–MacLane spaces then give a corresponding non-trivial map f from M to the infinite-dimensional complex projective space CP∞, since it is a K(Z,2) Eilenberg–MacLane space. The space CP∞ can be realized as a CW complex with exactly one cell in each even dimension and no cells in odd dimension, while M can be realized with no cells in dimensions above 3, so by the cellular approximation theorem there is a map homotopic to f that maps M into the 3-skeleton of CP∞, which is the 2-sphere. Minus .01 of course

Plus compact handguns make you look fat
As of now I bet you got me wrong

John Titor was right

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:46 pm

Brekar wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:28 pm
I used to play with an electric Spyder with an electric hopper. Had a lot of fun doing it.

My electro-pneumatic markers are almost antiques: an '01 Angel LCD, '02 Matrix LED and '03 Shocker SFT. So far I've been able to keep them running with spare parts, circuit boards, and solenoids scrounged off of eBay. :rofl:

whisk.e.rebellion wrote: It's not what you say anymore. It's how you say it.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:06 pm

RickOShea wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:46 pm
Brekar wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:28 pm
I used to play with an electric Spyder with an electric hopper. Had a lot of fun doing it.

My electro-pneumatic markers are almost antiques: an '01 Angel LCD, '02 Matrix LED and '03 Shocker SFT. So far I've been able to keep them running with spare parts, circuit boards, and solenoids scrounged off of eBay. :rofl:

That is amazing! I remember when I first learned what an Angle was. I knew a guy and nobody could shoot faster than him. Most played with Brass Eagle Stingrays and Spyders. His gun was finiky, but when it worked, he dominated. I remember looking at the Shockers in the magazines. That was a good time.
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:52 pm

woodsghost wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:06 pm
That is amazing! I remember when I first learned what an Angle was. I knew a guy and nobody could shoot faster than him. Most played with Brass Eagle Stingrays and Spyders. His gun was finiky, but when it worked, he dominated. I remember looking at the Shockers in the magazines. That was a good time.
Yeah, those first Angels, the LED and LCD were awesome guns. I had close to 300K shots on the counter when the original solenoid finally went tits-up. The only other problem I had was some dead pixels on the LCD screen a few years ago, but I was able to replace it with a good, used one I got off eBay for like $15. Some of those later Angels, I think the G7 and A1, seemed to have issues with the solenoids and rams not lasting very long.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Sat Sep 22, 2018 9:50 am

FYI: It has been 9 days since anyone posted. :?

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Sat Sep 22, 2018 7:49 pm

MPMalloy wrote:
Sat Sep 22, 2018 9:50 am
I've got nothing left to say since I sold all my firearms, shaved my head and decided I'd be better off defending my self with a two foot length of 1/2 in Pvc pipe and a used stubby pencil . Remember ... All hail the whole, cause the Whole hales all. 33491
As of now I bet you got me wrong

John Titor was right

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Sat Sep 22, 2018 9:52 pm

flybynight wrote:
Sat Sep 22, 2018 7:49 pm
MPMalloy wrote:
Sat Sep 22, 2018 9:50 am
I've got nothing left to say since I sold all my firearms, shaved my head and decided I'd be better off defending my self with a two foot length of 1/2 in Pvc pipe and a used stubby pencil . Remember ... All hail the whole, cause the Whole hales all. 33491
I told you this is what would happen when you started drinking Everclear straight from the bottle again, FBN. :lol:

JF89
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Fido , Dead Set (tv show) ,28 days/weeks later.

Post by JF89 » Tue Sep 25, 2018 2:42 pm

I love 10mm, its like 9mm for grown ups.

the_alias
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by the_alias » Thu Sep 27, 2018 12:10 pm

My official USPSA match % was 64% in last match - up from 53% back at June's match. That feels pretty good.

Latter half of best stage of this match:

Man is a beast of prey

chills1994

Post by chills1994 » Thu Sep 27, 2018 1:37 pm

the_alias wrote:
Thu Sep 27, 2018 12:10 pm
My official USPSA match % was 64% in last match - up from 53% back at June's match. That feels pretty good.

Latter half of best stage of this match:

Shooting Production division, eh?

Your 64%...that's from the combined UNofficial results, right?

Just an FYI...EzWinscore (the old USPSA scoring software) calls them unofficial for a reason. Now that everyone is using tablets to score and stuff gets posted to Practiscore, I am not sure if Practiscore gives the same disclaimer that they are the combined overall UN official results.

There have been instances where somebody on a stage has a lower hit factor but once the results get combined, he actually gets placed higher in the rankings...either for just that stage or in the overall combined results.

Me? Personally?

If I were to start my own shooting competition organization from scratch, I would go with a smaller carboard target....basically cutting off the D zone. Then I would make it so any two hits anywhere in the brown = neutralized. Just one hit would tack on 5 whole seconds.

So basically like time plus scoring...kinda like IDPA...but not.

Scoring goes really fast.

And I can figure out the final scores for everybody and rank order them without the use of a computer, tablet, or scoring software.

That's how did the one and only 3 gun match I put on.

Getting back on topic...

how were your raw stage times on each stage versus the minimum round count (MRC) required for each stage?

How is your overall total cumulative time for the match versus the the total MRC for the match?

Granted this rule of thumb is geared towards IDPA, but your regular IDPA Masters will finish a major match with a final score real close to the MRC.

And then there are people like Bob Vogel who will finish at about 66% to 75% of the total MRC.

Absolutely unreal! :shock:

Guns are icky!

the_alias
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by the_alias » Thu Sep 27, 2018 3:39 pm

Yup Production - heck maybe I'll turn this G34 into a Carry Optics gun though and get a CZ SP01 for a non race Production gun. It's fun but I'm not 100% sure I want to go all in on Production and get a Shadow2 or something.

Yeh typo on my part I mean match % does not correlate to ranking at all.

I only joined USPSA recently so only have records of my one classifier easily accessible. Shot 60% for "Can you Count".
If I were to start my own shooting competition organization from scratch, I would go with a smaller carboard target....basically cutting off the D zone. Then I would make it so any two hits anywhere in the brown = neutralized. Just one hit would tack on 5 whole seconds.

Interesting with the smaller area that could work - I shot a 3 gun match with Time + wasn't a fan beyond it being quicker to score.
how were your raw stage times on each stage versus the minimum round count (MRC) required for each stage?

How is your overall total cumulative time for the match versus the the total MRC for the match?
Not sure how to find these or if these apply properly to USPSA? It's more what was my raw time vs my adjust time for Charlies,Delta, Mikes/Penalties. Not sure I can see that.
Man is a beast of prey

Langenator
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, Zombieland, Shaun of the Dead (and Larry Correia's Monster Hunter series if they ever make them into movies)

Post by Langenator » Thu Sep 27, 2018 7:33 pm

I thought there was something about the SP-01 that kept it out of Production...which was why CZ made the Shadow2.

Or maybe I'm wrong. I do 3-gun and Run-n-Gun, not USPSA.
Fortunis Fortus Paratus

chills1994

Post by chills1994 » Thu Sep 27, 2018 10:05 pm

the_alias wrote:
Thu Sep 27, 2018 3:39 pm
Yup Production - heck maybe I'll turn this G34 into a Carry Optics gun though and get a CZ SP01 for a non race Production gun. It's fun but I'm not 100% sure I want to go all in on Production and get a Shadow2 or something.

Yeh typo on my part I mean match % does not correlate to ranking at all.

I only joined USPSA recently so only have records of my one classifier easily accessible. Shot 60% for "Can you Count".

Interesting with the smaller area that could work - I shot a 3 gun match with Time + wasn't a fan beyond it being quicker to score.

Not sure how to find these or if these apply properly to USPSA? It's more what was my raw time vs my adjust time for Charlies,Delta, Mikes/Penalties. Not sure I can see that.
It used to be that USPSA.org's website would post local match results.

You could click on your performance or heck even the performance of a top competitor (at a major match) and see what the raw times were for each stage.

EDIT: or the next match you shoot, if there is a written stage briefing, it should say what the MRC is. Then when you do you walj through and you are air gunning the stage you should be thinking "2....4.....6...8...10...reload....2...4...6...etc...etc "

Just to.make sure your count jives up with the written stage briefing.

Then after you shoot the stage pay attention to when the RO calls out the time.

Guns are icky!

the_alias
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by the_alias » Fri Sep 28, 2018 8:30 am

or the next match you shoot, if there is a written stage briefing, it should say what the MRC is. Then when you do you walj through and you are air gunning the stage you should be thinking "2....4.....6...8...10...reload....2...4...6...etc...etc "
Yes I know how to stage plan.
It used to be that USPSA.org's website would post local match results.

You could click on your performance or heck even the performance of a top competitor (at a major match) and see what the raw times were for each stage.
I follow but I do not see raw times posted anymore there...
Man is a beast of prey

chills1994

Post by chills1994 » Fri Sep 28, 2018 10:46 pm

And practiscore doesn't post raw stage times?

My comment wasn't so much about stage planning but rather just as a QC/QA check that the written stage briefing matches up to your walk through count.

But then I have been out of the loop for a long time. One would think that that maybe Practiscore has a way to automatically generate WSB's from "score sheets" or rather the other way around..."score sheets" from WSB's.

Guns are icky!

chills1994

Post by chills1994 » Fri Sep 28, 2018 10:51 pm

My old AR500 plate(s) held up just fine the other day versus that .300 Blackout "pistol". That was with both subsonics and supersonics. :clap:
I'd like to run the supersonics over my chrono to see how slow they are going.

I want to be able to do drills/exercises on my steel without the fear of catching a frag or cratering the plate.

I'll have to remember to charge up my Pivotheaded glasses next time and post a video.

Thinking about splurging on a CED timer and their big board display.

Guns are icky!

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Sun Sep 30, 2018 11:30 am

You surf the interwebz, you know, like ya do, and then...List of most-produced firearms
The #1 spot is no surprise. :wink:

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Tue Oct 02, 2018 1:28 pm

So, after a few issues with ordering a weapon light through Amazon, instead of the Streamlight TLR-1 that I wanted I ended up buying a Nightstick TWM-850XLS for about $35 less. It arrived about an hour ago and I've been checking it out. So far the quality looks good, operation seems straightforward (though I'm disappointed in the strobe), and it seems hella bright. The true test of the brightness will be out on my buddy's farm tonight or tomorrow but it's bright enough that I dazzled myself with it reflecting off my office wall. Maybe too bright for the intended use on my HD shotty, though it might find a home on my bolt action .22WMR pest control gun if that proves to be the case.

I have to say, I'm disappointed in the strobe operation though. To enter strobe mode you have to hit momentary two times and hold it down on the second press. As long as it's held down it will strobe, but will stop once you let go. I don't think I'll be using that mode much, if ever.

Update: Yeah, it's hella bright. I didn't get out to my friend's farm tonight (maybe tomorrow) but I did go out and shine it through my yard and my neighbor's yards. I think this is going to work quite well.
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto
Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except sailors. They will kill you and sing songs about it.

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

Halfapint
Favorite Zombie Movies: all?

Post by Halfapint » Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:22 pm

MPMalloy wrote:
Sun Sep 30, 2018 11:30 am
You surf the interwebz, you know, like ya do, and then...List of most-produced firearms
The #1 spot is no surprise. :wink:
#30 had me laughing pretty good!
JeeperCreeper wrote:I like huge dicks, Halfapint, so you are OK in my book.... hahaha
Spazzy wrote:Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

chills1994

Post by chills1994 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:07 pm

I made it to the range yesterday and got my RDA of Vitamin Pew.

Brought the PivotHead glasses along.

And two shotguns...

A Remington 1100 Tactical wearing a Nordic Components extended mag tube, and their barrel clamp.

And a Mossberg 590 pump:

https://youtu.be/L8H-sTZTDGM

https://youtu.be/Okwche4O0fQ

:clap:

For next time I will have to bring some white spray paint along for the steel targets or bring my own plates which fall.

I probably had a lot of misses with the the 1100. I noticed that I really had to bury my face into the stock and put the mid-bead right dead nuts centered on the plate.

Guns are icky!

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Twilight... making zombies of our future generations

Post by JeeperCreeper » Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:09 pm

Anyone post about the Springfield Armory 10mm XDm yet?

All I gotta say is finally. Those rat-bad-sters teased it then released a 1911 then got all political.

I still want one. Might get the fiance to buy me it. But chances are, I will pass and stick with experimenting with .45super and .45smc
They see me trollin', they hatin'.... keyboardin' tryna catch me typin' dirty
Halfapint wrote:There are some exceptions like myself and jeepercreeper.... but we are the forum asshats. We protect our positions with gusto
zero11010 wrote:The girlfriend is a good shot with a 10/22.
Her secondary offense will be nagging.

Langenator
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, Zombieland, Shaun of the Dead (and Larry Correia's Monster Hunter series if they ever make them into movies)

Post by Langenator » Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:28 am

I'm still holding out for a CZ-97B (not a Witness - I want the real thing) in 10mm.

I did see that CZ unveiled the Bren rifle in .308/7.62. (Where is the drool emoji?)

*sigh* So many gun wants, so little money.
Fortunis Fortus Paratus

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Sat Oct 13, 2018 12:42 pm

A couple vids....

Mud Test: Brownells BRN10-A

Springfield Armory XDM 10mm – The 10 We Have Been Waiting For

Return to “General Firearms Discussion”