Six Guns Every US Prepper Should Own + 2 More that are a good idea

General discussions regarding topics that aren't covered in one of the other sub-forums. NO DISCUSSION OF POLITICS!

Moderators: ZS Global Moderators, ZS Postal Match Officers

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Re: Six Guns Every US Prepper Should Own + 2 More that are a good idea

Post by NT2C » Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:08 pm

flybynight wrote:
Sun Aug 05, 2018 1:09 pm
91Eunozs wrote:
Sun Aug 05, 2018 1:00 pm
Halfapint wrote:
Sat Aug 04, 2018 6:46 pm
91Eunozs wrote:
Sat Aug 04, 2018 10:02 am
Edit: Please note the lack of blue wire, a “pocket 9” and Ciener .22 conversion kit from this list as these are of course the basic building blocks of any well-rounded arsenal! :clownshoes:
Triggered! However, you for got the "shorty AR"
:lol:

It was assumed of course...
Ya gotta wonder if he is still lurking around here. Either as a guest or new handle bideing his time , reading the posts an shaking his head from time to time. Just to hear the blue marbles rattle around in his head
Some anonymous person slipped this into my PM box this morning...

Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Wed Aug 08, 2018 3:39 pm

Stercutus wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:48 am
Some states are a tough row to hoe. NY is one of them. You could just move :wink: What do you think the NY solution should look like?
I"ve been putting a lot of thought into this, as I make backup plans in case life takes me places I did not intend to go.

In short: most of the time we hear a carbine will do most of what you want a gun to do from 0 to 300 y/m. But if you can't get one in your area, what about a pump gun? Troy makes some pump ARs.

Bolt guns? Ruger makes a carbine which takes Mini-30 mags, and several companies make bolt guns which take AR mags. I think. I know the Mossberg MVP does. There are also bolt guns which take AR10 mags and M-14 mags.

All this sounds great for maybe 50-500 y/m. What about 0-50 y/m?

In my mind, this is where the shotgun would be rather handy. In my experience so far, I have to argue in favor of a fighting semi-auto shotgun rather than a pump gun (tube fed, not mag fed). But if the pump is what you can get your hands on, by all means, please use it.

Normally I laugh at those who say "in my prepper group we will have 1 bolt gun, 2 carbines, and a shotgun." "No, my group will have 2 shotguns and a CCW and flamethrower because we want to get in close." But in this case, I think it might be wise to plan a group with some diversity in arms.

Or buy an SKS. That and the Mini-14/-30, and M1A/M14 series, and some Saigas seem well suited to these environments. But NY laws seem designed to make even these guns somewhat difficult. The safest bests are bolt-action and pump guns, with some semi-auto shotguns. Just my thoughts.
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:24 pm

A Remington 7600 is a very handy alternative long arm. The carbine version with the 18 8nch barrel is a great brush gun. It is fast handling and can be obtained in flat shooting calibers.

You can also get 10 round magazines for it.

ILFE
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (1984 version), Night of the Living Dead (1968)

Post by ILFE » Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:36 pm

Personally, I have always enjoyed owning a double-barreled shotgun. There is no more of an intimidating weapon staring a person in the face, than those two barrels, especially for someone who is clearly in the wrong place - on my property and uninvited.
Paul

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Twilight... making zombies of our future generations

Post by JeeperCreeper » Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:49 pm

I like the list.

Only thing I would prefer to change is that #1 would be a mid to full size handgun as opposed to dedicated CCW. If someone is looking for their first gun, I think they are easier to shoot and easier to learn on. Plus, a rookie may not CC or hold a license if needed, therefore it will be better for home defense.

That is of course if a rookie is looking for a list.

Then again, something like a Glock 19, m&p 2.0 compact, or cz75 compact can fill multiple roles.
They see me trollin', they hatin'.... keyboardin' tryna catch me typin' dirty
Halfapint wrote:There are some exceptions like myself and jeepercreeper.... but we are the forum asshats. We protect our positions with gusto
zero11010 wrote:The girlfriend is a good shot with a 10/22.
Her secondary offense will be nagging.

Brekar
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead - Night/Dawn/Day of the Dead - Zombieland - Dead Snow - etc...

Post by Brekar » Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:25 am

I like the list. I have a few dedicated guns like this list has, such as a rifled 12 gauge that shoots just slugs (It loves Hornady SST slugs), that uses rifled sights. I could scope it, but it's more of a brush gun for me, it is a very niche weapon.
I have a single shot folding 20 gauge that I use as a trunk gun right now, looking to make it more compact right now, maybe get the barrel shorten as short as it can go by a gunsmith, add removable chokes to it.

I went a different way than many on this list.
NEF single shot .410
Winchester Model 94 30-30.
Ruger 10-22.
Savage .270.
Marlin 512 Slugmaster 12 gauge.
Remington 870 Express Magnum .410.
Remington 870 Express Magnum 12 gauge.
S&W M&P Pro .40.
Winchester Model 62 pump takedown .22 short.
Lee-Enfield No.4 Mk 1 .303 British.
Hatfield folding shotgun .20 gauge.

I'm sadly lacking anything in the AR/AK class of weapons.

I would like to acquire 1 of each, as well as some sort of quality pistol carbine.

All in all get something you can work with, and practice with it.

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:30 am

I think for NY either an M1 carbine or Mini-14/30 would work. Ammo selection being critical for the Carbine and rifle selection being critical for the Mini-14. I hear the new Minis are superior to the old ones.
These days of dust
Which we've known
Will blow away with this new Son

But I'll kneel down wait for now
And I'll kneel down
Know my ground

Brekar
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead - Night/Dawn/Day of the Dead - Zombieland - Dead Snow - etc...

Post by Brekar » Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:29 am

I've also heard that the Mini's have vastly improved. I heard the Ruger actually listened to it customers and retooled and improved them. Time will tell. A very good AR option if you live in a state that frowns on them.

I've always really wanted a M1 carbine. The ammo selection/bullet style have greatly improved since they originally came out. A very viable weapon.

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:29 pm

On the Mini-14 series, I'll parrot what I read on the internet...

The Mini-14 was usually a 4-5 MOA gun, but changes some time after 2000 tightened up the groups significantly. I forget what year it was.

Apparently the Mini-14 was known to experience reliability problems. Further testing suggested it was mag related. Ruger mags were good, but other after-market mags were spotty. Some worked, some did not.

Just repeating what I read elsewhere. If others have experience to confirm or refute this, I'd be interested. I fantasize about owning a Mini-30 some day.

Oh, and actual experience with the M1 carbine says mags can be a rather sore spot for reliability and there was a maker of M1s back in the 60's which started making good guns and then made horrible guns once they ran out of USGI parts. So beware. Know what you are getting into. My buddies experience is they can be a real project gun. Most of the problems seem to come from an out of spec or worn mag/rifle interface. My buddy has one original and one repro. And now has damaged mags due to learning what makes these guns reliable.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:01 pm

I really like the mini-14. Mine were not tack drivers especially once the barrel heats up. However for targets in the sub 200 yard range area, accuracy was more than adequate. The SS versions are really nice IMO. That is what I carried on my boats for years. Put a folding stock on it and you have a very compact quasi-PDW that stows nicely in a locker along with ammo and mags.

Like any semi-auto, the magazines are the weak point. Some were good others bad. The solution was to test the mags and throw away the bad ones.
The factory mags give me no problems. However for decades nothing but factory 5 round magazine were available to the general public They are my preferred magazines now that they are available.

When I bought mine (70's, 80's & 90's) they were about 66% of the cost of an AR. They made sense in a cost to performance perspective. Today AR's are cheaper and far more versatile in terms of customization.

I sold all but the SS model which is still on my boat.

From what I have learned about M-1 carbines their key problem is the magazine coupled with the fact that there are few makers of the magazines so sources are limited unlike AR, AK & Mini-14. The rifle though especially with Buffalo Bore and Hornady Critical defense ammo is a very viable SD weapon, assuming yo have good quality magazines.

viewtopic.php?f=107&t=118107

Dooms

Post by Dooms » Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:21 am

My list kind of follows the same guidelines, except I’ve started stepping away from manual actions.

Instead of a pump shotgun, Benelli Semi-Auto.
Instead of a bolt-action .308 or .30-06, AR-10.

Why? Because I don’t see any big reason, other than price, to stick with manual actions. But, the ability to have a near instantaneous follow up shot can be life saving.

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:25 am

Dooms wrote:
Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:21 am
My list kind of follows the same guidelines, except I’ve started stepping away from manual actions.

Instead of a pump shotgun, Benelli Semi-Auto.
Instead of a bolt-action .308 or .30-06, AR-10.

Why? Because I don’t see any big reason, other than price, to stick with manual actions. But, the ability to have a near instantaneous follow up shot can be life saving.
One advantage a manual action will generally have over semi-auto is ease of maintenance and no gas system to clog up.

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

Dooms

Post by Dooms » Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:57 am

NT2C wrote:
Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:25 am

One advantage a manual action will generally have over semi-auto is ease of maintenance and no gas system to clog up.
If the gas system gets clogged you’re basically just back to a manual action anyway.

Maintenance is kind of firearm specific. Much easier to break down and clean an AR-10 bolt than, say a Ruger 77 bolt, for example.

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Sat Aug 11, 2018 1:08 pm

Gas rifles are fine but all else equal you will get more accuracy out of a quality bolt gun than a quality gas gun. What that means to you is whatever that means to you. It is a simple tradeoff.

So far as shotguns go a pump will cycle more reliably than a gas gun. If you are doing it right it will be much more reliable. A pump will cycle any type of ammo more reliably than a gas gun. Some lower pressure ammo does not work in some gas guns very well or even at all. But normally it will still go in a pump. As the gas system wears out (say the rings in an 1100) and more gas escapes the lower pressure rounds really become a reliability problem. A good 870 or 500 is near impossible to wear out. I have some with all original parts with more than 20K rounds through them. There is no way I can make a gas gun shoot that many rounds reliably without some kind of maintenance.
These days of dust
Which we've known

And I'll kneel down
Know my ground

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Sat Aug 11, 2018 1:34 pm

Stercutus wrote:
Sat Aug 11, 2018 1:08 pm
Gas rifles are fine but all else equal you will get more accuracy out of a quality bolt gun than a quality gas gun. What that means to you is whatever that means to you. It is a simple tradeoff.

So far as shotguns go a pump will cycle more reliably than a gas gun. If you are doing it right it will be much more reliable. A pump will cycle any type of ammo more reliably than a gas gun. Some lower pressure ammo does not work in some gas guns very well or even at all. But normally it will still go in a pump. As the gas system wears out (say the rings in an 1100) and more gas escapes the lower pressure rounds really become a reliability problem. A good 870 or 500 is near impossible to wear out. I have some with all original parts with more than 20K rounds through them. There is no way I can make a gas gun shoot that many rounds reliably without some kind of maintenance.
That is fair. I know for myself, I have had much better luck running semi-auto shotguns under stress than I have with pump guns. Granted, I think I have maybe 1,500 rounds under my belt with shotguns. But 100 rounds with a semi saw me doing better than 1,400 with pumps for fast stress shooting.

Now, with bolt action .22s, I can do rather well under stress. But I have 8,000-10,000(?) rounds with bolt action .22s under my belt.

Just my experiences.

Dooms

Post by Dooms » Sat Aug 11, 2018 2:08 pm

Stercutus wrote:
Sat Aug 11, 2018 1:08 pm

That is fair. I know for myself, I have had much better luck running semi-auto shotguns under stress than I have with pump guns. Granted, I think I have maybe 1,500 rounds under my belt with shotguns. But 100 rounds with a semi saw me doing better than 1,400 with pumps for fast stress shooting.

Now, with bolt action .22s, I can do rather well under stress. But I have 8,000-10,000(?) rounds with bolt action .22s under my belt.

Just my experiences.
I remember reading a thread quoted to Battle Field Vegas that runs firearms rentals for tourists out in Las Vegas. Basically they said they treat 870’s and 500’s as disposable because they get broken about once a month. Some of their semi-auto shotguns have been running for multiple years without being out of service. Obviously that’s in the hands of people who’ve likely never shot before, but it still speaks to the design under stress.

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Sat Aug 11, 2018 2:48 pm

Could be. That is a single data point in a world full of data points on shotguns.
These days of dust
Which we've known

And I'll kneel down
Know my ground

Brekar

Post by Brekar » Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:06 pm

I've had the same 2 870's Express Magnum's for 20 years (give or take a few years). One in 12 gauge and one in .410.

The 12 gauge has had thousands of rounds through it, just cleaned regularly, and never replaced a single part. It has taken a beating, been on hundreds of hunts in ever weather Missouri and Arizona has to offer, and keeps on ticking.
My .410 has nothing but issues. It jams every other shot, peels plastic off the shells every time it feeds, and just plain out pisses me off every time I pull it out of the closet. I've had it to several gunsmith's in both Mo and Az and have been told every time "Sorry Brekar, thats just how they are. Just pump it harder".

I had a Browning Auto-5 Light 12 that shot wonderfully once I replaced the friction rings in it. Wish I Hadn't sold it but I needed the $$'s at the time...

So take my single point of shotgun data with the grain of salt that it is.

Halfapint
Favorite Zombie Movies: all?

Post by Halfapint » Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:47 pm

raptor wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:01 pm
From what I have learned about M-1 carbines their key problem is the magazine coupled with the fact that there are few makers of the magazines so sources are limited unlike AR, AK & Mini-14. The rifle though especially with Buffalo Bore and Hornady Critical defense ammo is a very viable SD weapon, assuming yo have good quality magazines.
I've only run about 1000 rds through my M1 carbine. All the factory ammo I've shot was had zero issues. The only issues I had with reloads on it, was that I tried getting away with being a lazy ass and not trimming the brass. the mags do not allow for anything over 1.730col (cant remember what exactly it was I don't have my book in front of me). Once I trimmed them down the everything worked great. I run 3 different mags, 10, 15, and 30. I believe a lot of the older models have to be with an after market mag release because the original isn't strong enough. I bought 5 pro mag 30rd mags and have had zero issues with any of them.

This is probably one of my favorite rifles I own. I was hitting 300yds with iron sites with ease. Its comfortable to shoot and overall I love the nostalgia of owning one.
JeeperCreeper wrote:I like huge dicks, Halfapint, so you are OK in my book.... hahaha
Spazzy wrote:Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

MrsClegg

Post by MrsClegg » Sun Sep 30, 2018 9:17 am

I am outfitted better than I thought:
Ruger SR9C 17+1
SW Shield 9
SW 357 mag
Lady Smith 38
2 SW 44 mag
Browning model 92 in 44mag
Ruger Mark IV 10/22
Ruger 22LR rifle
Homemade 22 LR rifle with scope
And a Mossberg 12ga

I'd like a mini 14 but they cost twice as much as an AR.

I have the presses and tumbler and even molds for lead for reloading brass that were my dad's but I haven't reloaded in over 20 years. I think I need a refresher because reloading would eventually be necessary and doing it even slightly wrong would be dangerous.
Sic biscuitus disintegrat

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Sun Sep 30, 2018 10:17 am

MrsClegg wrote:
Sun Sep 30, 2018 9:17 am
...because reloading would eventually be necessary...
I started to agree on this but then I thought about it and realized this might not be the case. Would it be better to keep supplies of components for reloading, or supplies of complete cartridges when prepping? I'm leaning towards complete cartridges but this might be a good topic for discussion if anyone wants to start a thread about it.

delarey

Post by delarey » Tue Dec 25, 2018 8:59 pm

It's been a while since I've been here...missed the discussions!
Merry Christmas everyone!

I agree with the OP.
CCW then a Pump shottie.

My wife once asked me what I'd get if I was ever forced to live in S. Africa again - in order:
  • Glock 19
    Toyota Hi-Lux 4x4 double cab (cash)
    Mossberg 500
There really isn't much you can't do with a G19 and a Mossberg 500. G19 is small enough to CCW and big enough to fight. The Mossberg is devastating in a HD situation and you can hunt just about anything that slithers, walks crawls or swims on this planet with it.
A good pump will cycle anything you feed it and as mentioned in a 0 to 150 meter firearm if you know how to use it.
I've got a cheapo little bushnell TRS25 sitting on the rail of my ancient 500. With FliteControl 00 8pellet, I have about a 2' spread at 50 yards. Depending on which slugs I use, I can get out to 150 yards, but wouldn't do it unless I really had to...at 100 it's still minute of pie plate.

Ammo for the G19:
  • Pick a weight and run with it. I went with 124gr.
    Make sure your pistol functions with the ammo you stock. Fire at least 250 rounds of each.
    At least 3000 rounds FMJ.
    At least 1000 rounds HP.
Ammo for the shotgun:
1000 rounds birdshot/ target loads.
1000 rounds 00 - try the Federal Flite Control 8 pellet.
500 rounds slugs. Find what works in your shotgun.

And of course then you start looking at other rifles and pistols.
A Deep concealment handgun - no choice in the matter, LCP.
A carbine or battle rifle - AR, AK, FAL, etc. I went with AR15's. Mostly braced pistols and a A2 stocked rifle.
A long range rifle - anybody's choice there - I went with a CZ550.
A .22lr - I dislike semi-auto .22's. Reliability has always been a pain. I prefer level and bolt guns. CZ has some great options as does Henry. A good Marlin is something to behold.
For the gents in states that give them grief about owning firearms with magazines and such, I'd go with a shotgun and a 1911 or a revolver in .357Mag. You really can't go wrong with either.

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Tue Dec 25, 2018 9:17 pm

delarey wrote:
Tue Dec 25, 2018 8:59 pm
It's been a while since I've been here...missed the discussions!
Merry Christmas everyone!

I agree with the OP.
CCW then a Pump shottie.

My wife once asked me what I'd get if I was ever forced to live in S. Africa again - in order:
  • Glock 19
    Toyota Hi-Lux 4x4 double cab (cash)
    Mossberg 500
There really isn't much you can't do with a G19 and a Mossberg 500. G19 is small enough to CCW and big enough to fight. The Mossberg is devastating in a HD situation and you can hunt just about anything that slithers, walks crawls or swims on this planet with it.
A good pump will cycle anything you feed it and as mentioned in a 0 to 150 meter firearm if you know how to use it.
I've got a cheapo little bushnell TRS25 sitting on the rail of my ancient 500. With FliteControl 00 8pellet, I have about a 2' spread at 50 yards. Depending on which slugs I use, I can get out to 150 yards, but wouldn't do it unless I really had to...at 100 it's still minute of pie plate.

Ammo for the G19:
  • Pick a weight and run with it. I went with 124gr.
    Make sure your pistol functions with the ammo you stock. Fire at least 250 rounds of each.
    At least 3000 rounds FMJ.
    At least 1000 rounds HP.
Ammo for the shotgun:
1000 rounds birdshot/ target loads.
1000 rounds 00 - try the Federal Flite Control 8 pellet.
500 rounds slugs. Find what works in your shotgun.

And of course then you start looking at other rifles and pistols.
A Deep concealment handgun - no choice in the matter, LCP.
A carbine or battle rifle - AR, AK, FAL, etc. I went with AR15's. Mostly braced pistols and a A2 stocked rifle.
A long range rifle - anybody's choice there - I went with a CZ550.
A .22lr - I dislike semi-auto .22's. Reliability has always been a pain. I prefer level and bolt guns. CZ has some great options as does Henry. A good Marlin is something to behold.
For the gents in states that give them grief about owning firearms with magazines and such, I'd go with a shotgun and a 1911 or a revolver in .357Mag. You really can't go wrong with either.
I do appreciate your S. Africa experiences. Welcome back! Merry Christmas! Been wondering where you were :)

delarey

Post by delarey » Tue Dec 25, 2018 9:20 pm

Thanks Woodsghost! Always glad to share what very little knowledge I have :lol:
I browsed the boards on my phone using that Tapatalk app - and that got messed up, so I ended up not getting here as often. Decided to just access the forums using my PC, since I'm working from home tonight.

Return to “General Firearms Discussion”