Six Guns Every US Prepper Should Own + 2 More that are a good idea

General discussions regarding topics that aren't covered in one of the other sub-forums. NO DISCUSSION OF POLITICS!

Moderators: ZS Global Moderators, ZS Postal Match Officers

Stercutus

Six Guns Every US Prepper Should Own + 2 More that are a good idea

Post by Stercutus » Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:23 pm

This is it. All your gun acquisition questions are answered so far as what to buy, in what order to buy and why to buy it. Depending upon your state and local laws, particular environmental concerns and your age and physical disabilities particulars to your situation you may have to modify the list. Don't blame me for sub optimal results. This is a perfect world list, my world.

#1 - The first gun you want to buy will be a CCW. This will be a reliable semi-automatic pistol with a barrel 2.75-3.5" long in a caliber .380-.45ACP in size and power rating. It needs to be small enough for you to easily conceal on your person, lightweight and it should have two spare magazines. It should have a magazine capacity of at least 7 and preferable 9 or more. A polymer lower gun will work best and be light. There are lots of good choices out there from most major gun makers. 9mm is the best choice with other options offering more expensive ammo with some mildly different performance. The gun needs to be drop safe so that you can carry it locked and loaded with less danger of shooting yourself or others in the tinkle by accident. Spend $300-600. Less money will likely will not get a quality gun and more is wasting it.

Most people that own one gun buy this one and stop here. Handguns generally suck but they work. This gun fills other roles such as Home Defense until you can buy better guns. America is a dangerous place full of many social ills including poverty, poor mental health system, a massive drug craze with many dangerous criminals who will gladly kill you to steal whatever you have or just because they stopped taking Xanax one morning. To go armed is to give you a fighting chance because running away isn't always an option.

To go with this gun you will need a comfortable IWB retention holster. Good luck and God speed on that. But if you are doing back flips in the club you do not want the gun falling out. You will also need 100 rounds of defensive ammo and 600 rounds of training ammo per year. You need to train with 50 rounds per month (preferable) or 150 rounds per quarter. At the end of the year fire up all of your SD ammo and replace. Ammo does lose velocity as it ages and handgun ammo is already low velocity. You should buy and equip three dot night sights if the gun does not come equipped with them. A magazine holster is highly recommended. When enlisted for HD a weapon light is needed or a good flashlight and training on how to employ the gun/ flashlight. Lastly you will need to go to a training course so that you don't shoot your eye out and learn how to shoot it accurately.

#2 Buy a shotgun. A shotgun is much more useful than a handgun but you can not easily carry it concealed. The shotgun should be a pump action either 12 or 20 gauge with a barrel 18-20", a screw in choke barrel is desired but if one can not be had cheaply get one with modified choke. Magazine capacity should be 4+1 with 7 or more preferred (but keep the magazine blocker if you need it for hunting). A shotgun can pretty much do everything a gun can do for you except conceal carry, shoot long ranges accurately and precision shoot. If you can think of a task a shotgun will likely work in a pinch. Spend $150-300.

Proper ammunition selection is critical for the task. The approximate mix of how much of what type of ammo to get is up to you but here is how it is laid out:

#10 Birdshot. For smaller pest such as mice. Also for when you lose your keys and can't afford a locksmith.
#8-4 Birdshot - For hunting small birds like dove and other small game like squirrels, field rats at ranges under 50 yards. Also the cheapest decent training ammo for shotgun. Also good for smaller snake defense like pit vipers under 2" in diameter.
#2-BB Birdshot - For hunting larger small game such as duck, goose, turkey, rabbits, woodchuck, possum etc at ranges up to 65 yards. Also for use in HD where ranges are under 25 feet and penetration of walls is a concern. Good for larger snakes such as larger pythons and boas with well placed shots.
#1-000 Buckshot - For HD where penetration is not a concern and for hunting larger game (coyote up to mule deer) at ranges to 100 yards
Slugs - For use in HD where penetration is not at all an issue and hunting any US large game up to 150 yards.

For the shotgun you will need a 2 or 3x scope if you use it for hunting with slugs. Otherwise a simple fiber optic sight will work fine. You will need a sling for HD use, a recoil pad, a method for storing ammo on the weapon (side saddle or butt cuff) a light for HD PID and a method for securing it when not in use.

You also want to spend time and money learning how to hunt. Otherwise just don't waste your time prepping because you won't make it in the PAW.

#3 - First Rifle. Next you will need a Semi-automatic carbine in either 5.56 or 7.62X39 caliber. Barrel length should be 11-16". This is a huge improvement over the shotgun for HD and hunting small and medium sized game. It should accept cheap, readily available, removable magazines with a capacity of at least 20. It should be proven reliable under a variety of challenging circumstances. Note that a barrel shorter than 16" is an SBR. $450-750.

This rifle is for HD and for hunting medium size and smaller game (pigs, whitetail deer, coyote, coon etc) shoots more accurately, more cheaply and at much greater ranges than the shotgun. For hunting you may need a small capacity magazine, otherwise a 30 round magazine is a good compromise of capacity and weight/ bulk. For hunting a scope x3-12 is useful but not neccessary. For HD an RDS is ideal with BUIS. A tight sling is handy for hunting, a larger sling for HD is required. A reliable light is required for HD. A foregrip can be nice. A foregrip with an extendable bipod is handy not so much for shooting but for setting the weapon down without laying it down.

#4 Second Rifle. Next you will need an accurate bolt action rifle in either .308 or .30-06. Other calibers will work but none as cheaply or with ammunition that is as widely available. There will also be tradeoffs with performance, recoil etc. The first two work. With the proper loading you can hunt any game in the US other than birds and snakes. The rifle should have a barrel 18-22" and a magazine capacity of 2-4 rounds. This rifle will allow you to shoot precision at long ranges for hunting or rare defensive uses. An average 308 round is more powerful at 600 yards than than a 5.56 loading is at the muzzle the .30-06 is even more powerful. $300-1000 depending upon how far down the rabbit hole you want to go.

You will need a bipod, sling and a powerful scope that will work at whatever ranges you think you could possibly shoot. Ammunition selection will vary based on caliber and target.

#5 A Trunk Gun. A trunk gun is gun you keep in your vehicle trunk or storage area. It is vastly superior to your CCW because it will be in a rifle caliber with a longer barrel and much higher capacity. It is your run to fighting defensive gun if you are dealing with a guy who just shot up a church trying to kill his ex-wife or you are stuck away from home in the Baltimore riots Act II. An AR or AK pistol or similar SA pistol in rifle caliber makes a great trunk gun and is legal more places than carrying a rifle or shotgun in your trunk. Important for me since I travel a lot. The AR is going to be superior to the AK due partially to the placement of the gas tube and buffer tube. It can fill other roles in a pinch such as hunting. An AR or AK pistol with a barrel length of 9-11" with several magazines. You will want to shoot it about as often as the CCW. $450-650.

You will need all the same accessories as for the first rifle. A foregrip or bipod requires a permit but an AFG does not.

#6 Third Rifle. Last on our list of essentials is SA 22lr rifle. Just save time and buy an old 10/22 at a pawn shop or on line PPS for under $150. This rifle is for target practice and hunting small game. Also good for teaching the kids and non-shooters. You will need to buy at least 100,000 rounds for it. This will run you about $5000-7000 for the ammo. Don't ask me why you need it becuase I don't know. I just know that you have to have it. Start off with a few boxes and work your way up.

Accessorize with everything. Find a tactical catalouge and roll the rifle around in it. It should have no less than six pieces of bling. This is useful for figuring out what works on your other guns. Target shoot the hell out of it. They are tough to wear out and it saves wear and tear on your other long guns. Ammo is cheaper too except for the high storage requirements.

Good idea guns.

#7 Full Size Auto Pistol. A reliable full size auto pistol with a barrel 4.25-5.5" long in caliber 9mm-45 ACP with a magazine capacity of 15 or more. When the world is smoldering ashes all around you and you are bunkered down in the house you won't want to tote your long gun everywhere while peering out from drawn blinds or running in to the backyard to retrieve some cucumbers from the gardens while the husband covers you from the attic window with the precision long gun. It would be nice to have a large hand gun with a higher capacity other than your CCW. It is tough to carry cucumbers and engage targets with a rifle. $300-750 or more, it's for the PAW.

Should have three spare magazines and good external retention holster. Not a junky friction holster that is a poor choice for weapon retention and easily defeated but a good one with an active retention system. A rail mounted light is an excellent idea.

#8 CCW BUG. For deep concelament or when the CCW goes paperweight on you having a BUG can be priceless. You want to get the smallest and lightest gun you can find that fits the defintion of "being a gun" and looks like something that people would not want to get shot with. Have fun with this one as practically any legal gun that is small and light will work.
Last edited by Stercutus on Mon Aug 06, 2018 1:54 am, edited 3 times in total.
You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Re: Six Guns Every US Prepper Should Own + 2 More that are a good idea

Post by NT2C » Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:46 pm

I need to work on either getting my shotty back or buying another and coming up with a truck gun I'm willing to actually keep in each vehicle. The Jeep makes this somewhat problematical, having no good location to store said gun, while the pickup has a nice backseat area too small for any known humans to occupy but great for things like canes, ice scrapers, crutches, a few blankets, and various cased long guns on trips to the range.

Currently in the works are a second CCW BUG and my M-14. I need a CCW that I can stick in a pocket holster in my sweats and get the mail with, take out the trash, answer the doorbell, etc. while the other pistols are inside where the wife can get to them.
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

majorhavoc
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, ZombieLand, Dawn of the Dead

Post by majorhavoc » Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:53 pm

I went AR-15 then .22lr then full frame 9mm handgun so in Stercutusland, I'm an abject fail. When it comes to firearm selection decisions, I guess I shoot from the hip ...

FYI: assuming BUG = back up gun. That might not be so obvious to firearm neophytes looking to benefit from your highly reasoned advice. :wink:

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:58 pm

Crap. That pretty much sums up my opinion of guns and prepping. My order is a bit different, but pretty close. I think I would reverse the Shotgun/First Rifle thing. And I would entertain the idea that "first rifle" might also be the .22.

My minimalist list is:

1) CCW

My slightly more extensive list is:

1) CCW

2) Long gun

After that, if you want more, you might as well get the whole stable.

Just my opinion.

Also, regarding shotguns: scopes are not necessary for slugs. Rifled sights are nice. Take it from me, bead sights can be used, but I recommend something better. Like scopes. Also, if living in a restrictive location (state, country?), and semi-auto shotguns are an option, I would seriously consider that over a pump. However, a *reliable* semi-auto shotgun is often 2x-6x the cost of a quality pump action shotgun.
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

Halfapint
Favorite Zombie Movies: all?

Post by Halfapint » Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:19 pm

I didn't get a CCW until only maybe a couple years ago. But this list is pretty damn good. Great write up, I was expecting a link to some nutty site that said you should never get a 22, and you should dump all your money into 50bmg.
JeeperCreeper wrote:I like huge dicks, Halfapint, so you are OK in my book.... hahaha
Spazzy wrote:Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:29 pm

majorhavoc wrote:
Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:53 pm
I went AR-15 then .22lr then full frame 9mm handgun so in Stercutusland, I'm an abject fail. When it comes to firearm selection decisions, I guess I shoot from the hip ...

FYI: assuming BUG = back up gun. That might not be so obvious to firearm neophytes looking to benefit from your highly reasoned advice. :wink:
This was before the list so now you are back on track. :D
You go over and under
I go through

majorhavoc
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, ZombieLand, Dawn of the Dead

Post by majorhavoc » Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:34 pm

Granted, I really do need to get a shotgun. But the Savage 110 Scout just speaks to me man. That might be next on my list ...

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:35 pm

NT2C wrote:
Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:46 pm
I need to work on either getting my shotty back or buying another and coming up with a truck gun I'm willing to actually keep in each vehicle. The Jeep makes this somewhat problematical, having no good location to store said gun, while the pickup has a nice backseat area too small for any known humans to occupy but great for things like canes, ice scrapers, crutches, a few blankets, and various cased long guns on trips to the range.
I always suggest a locking device and concealment with a Jeep.
You go over and under
I go through

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:31 pm

The Jeep is a Grand Cherokee, so not as open as a Wrangler but little interior room for one unless I use the back seat and lose the 4 door capability. I'll figure something.

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:44 am

Great post lots of thought and logic behind it. Obviously a lot of the choices are personal preference and therefore subject to debate but the logic is good.

The only thing I would add is that firearms involves lots of personal preference things like grips, sights, etc. What works for you may be terrible for your wife and waht works for your friend may not work for you. Asking what is the best firearm is rather like asking what is the best color tie.

If you are new to firearms and you are some place where they rent fire arms for range use, rent a variety of CCWs before you buy one This is a great way to try before you buy. Then buy an inexpensive CCW pistol (no more than $600) and a Ruger 10/22 and spend time on the range and shoot them a lot. If you do not know the basics ask around there are a lot of people who will help you for free or you can spend some time with a firearms instructor. You can always trade in your cheaper CCW for the inevitable upgrade you will finally decide that you "need" or simply keep it for range toy purposes.

Firearms are a motor skill you need to use those skills or you will lose those skills.

Too many people buy things and consider themselves prepared. Skills = preparation; where as things = possible capabilities. Things without skills to use them = failure.

Edited to add:
You should prioritize ammo inventory for your existing firearms before buying a new firearm if funds are limited.
1 firearm with ammo will always be more useful than 2 without ammo.

Collecting firearms is great hobby but it is not preparation.

The best firearm to have in a SHTF situation is the loaded one closest to your hand.

MacWa77ace
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Omega Man, I Am Legend, Dawn of the Dead v1974.

Post by MacWa77ace » Fri Aug 03, 2018 11:06 am

Stercutus wrote:This is a perfect world list, my world.
So we've narrowed it down, Stercutus is either Kevin, Clint or the Kid? :mrgreen:

The first gun you want to buy will be a CCW.
That's a really well thought out list. And in a perfect world this list is quite accurate and useful as a shopping list. I'm not sure if you're really going in order of acquisition or importance. Seems like if its the order of acquisition, it is for a person experienced with firearms and who probably already has a couple of guns and wants to fill in the gaps.

But if someone is starting from scratch with no experience with 'guns' at all and wants to start their security preps. I'd change the order of acquisitions around a bit. Because if a person has no experience at all with guns, they probably need a list like this, and assuming they can't afford to buy all the guns in one shopping trip, here is an alternative suggestion for the beginner who has no guns, no experience with guns, and lives in an AO where they can practice /utilize every type Pre-PAW. If you can't practice with it, then don't buy it, it won't help you.

In order of acquisition:
  1. 22LR rifle, bolt, lever, pump or SA
    Excellent for learning how to safely handle a gun and for taking small game,
    good for security / best for hunting small game.
  2. Full sized SA pistol, 9mm
    Better for learning basic pistol handling. 22LR Best for learning basic pistol handling
  3. Bolt hunting rifle 308 / 30-06, scout or LR version
    Increase your marksman skills, gain experience with ballistics, take large game,
    better for security / best for hunting large game.
  4. Semi-auto Carbine
    best for security / good for hunting medium game
  5. Primary CCW, now your ready to take the time and go thru the red tape to get a CCL if you think it'd be worth your while. A Compact version of your full sized SA pistol is a good choice.
  6. Shotgun, ['cause there has to be six] buy one that has barrel options so you can swap them and change it if from a hunting tool to a security tool and back again.
    better for security / good for hunting. [Dedicated hunting shotguns aren't good for security and dedicated security shotguns are not good for hunting due to barrel lengths and chokes IMO.]
But basically after you master one and two, you can make your own decision what to buy based on your Pre-PAW need and AO in your own custom order, as 3, 4, 5, and 6 are probably more AO based decisions.
Lifetime gamer watch at:
MacWa77ace YouTube Channel

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Fri Aug 03, 2018 3:31 pm

The list is in order of importance and by default acquisition. Firearms are tools used for a variety of purposes. I placed them in order of the utlitarian priorities I selected, balanced by cost and usefulness. As such:

- Self Defense (and defense of others)
- Home Defense
- Food Acquisition through hunting

Everything is based on that list of precedence. While getting a 22 rifle first would give certain advantages in learning about guns that are more forgiving than a pistol it is much less useful from the top priority of self defense aspect. The shotgun comes early on the list because it fills numerous food gathering roles and can be used in HD. It is also cheap.

Someone that lives in an area with very few self defense threats (not me, I live in a state with the third highest murder rate, in a country with a very high murder rate already) may priortize differently.
You go over and under
I go through

91Eunozs
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: All of them!

Post by 91Eunozs » Sat Aug 04, 2018 10:02 am

That’s a great list...and an even better write up. I love the tounge-in-cheek comments interwoven throughout!

For me, it’s about building a strong foundation and working your way up...so training with an emphasis on firearms safety, reliability/spares, covering your bases with tools specific for the task...and then more training! I include training on basic maintenance (beyond cleaning) and a budget for training ammo/replacement of wear items as part of any plan as well.

While my first personal gun was indeed a CCW (.45 Colt Defender), for my kids and a few others (godson, nieces and nephews, etc.) who was I fortunate enough to help along the way, they received their weapons (and commensurate training) in this order:

1) .22LR rifle
2) .22LR pistol
3) 20 gauge shotgun...progress to 12 gauge
4) AR platform rifle
5) Bolt action hunting rifle (all of mine happen to be in .308)
6) Full size handgun of their choice and caliber once they prove they can handle and use it effectively

YMMV

Thanks for the thought provoking topic!

Edit: Please note the lack of blue wire, a “pocket 9” and Ciener .22 conversion kit from this list as these are of course the basic building blocks of any well-rounded arsenal! :clownshoes:
Molon Latte...come & take our coffee order
Doctorr Fabulous wrote:... It's fun to play pretend, but this is the internet, and it's time to be serious.
zengunfighter wrote:... you don't want to blow a tranny in the middle of a pursuit...
woodsghost wrote:... A defensive gun without training is basically a talisman. It might ward off evil, but I wouldn't count on it.

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Sat Aug 04, 2018 6:21 pm

I think you have to be at least 18 to be considered a prepper. At least to join ZS you do. Teaching kids to shoot is a different problem set, which is why I recommend the 22 rifle. Likely the best and safest one to start off with.
You go over and under
I go through

Halfapint
Favorite Zombie Movies: all?

Post by Halfapint » Sat Aug 04, 2018 6:46 pm

91Eunozs wrote:
Sat Aug 04, 2018 10:02 am
Edit: Please note the lack of blue wire, a “pocket 9” and Ciener .22 conversion kit from this list as these are of course the basic building blocks of any well-rounded arsenal! :clownshoes:
Triggered! However, you for got the "shorty AR"
JeeperCreeper wrote:I like huge dicks, Halfapint, so you are OK in my book.... hahaha
Spazzy wrote:Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Sat Aug 04, 2018 8:11 pm

Halfapint wrote:
Sat Aug 04, 2018 6:46 pm
91Eunozs wrote:
I'm not seeing any mention of a bayonet either...

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Sat Aug 04, 2018 8:14 pm

Great write up and the chronology of the list makes total sense. Of course I did it differently
Deer rifle
.22 pistol
Hawkins rifle
Double barrel shotgun
1860 colt ( yes that was my field sidearm for two years fer Barr :crazy: )
,357 revolver ( came to my senses )
Four more firearms of the hunting persuasion
Derringer <---- for self defense
single stack auto <----- ditto

I used to be such a pacifist. Til people kept trying to kill me. :x
As of now I bet you got me wrong

John Titor was right

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Sat Aug 04, 2018 8:33 pm

I was just thinking back over my firearms history and, not including issued weapons the highlights would be something like:

1911A1 .45
Winchester Model 70 in 22-250
Stoner AR-7 .22lr
S&W Model 12 in .38 Special
Mossberg 500 12 ga.
Marlin 336 in .35 Rem
Old .22lr pump we had on the farm, not sure of the make/model but possibly a Stevens (inherited it)
PMR-30 .22WMR
Savage Model 93 FXP in .22WMR
SAR B6P 9mm
S&W M&P Shield in .45
Ruger 10/22

91Eunozs
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: All of them!

Post by 91Eunozs » Sun Aug 05, 2018 1:00 pm

Halfapint wrote:
91Eunozs wrote:
:lol:

It was assumed of course...
Molon Latte...come & take our coffee order
Doctorr Fabulous wrote:... It's fun to play pretend, but this is the internet, and it's time to be serious.
zengunfighter wrote:... you don't want to blow a tranny in the middle of a pursuit...
woodsghost wrote:... A defensive gun without training is basically a talisman. It might ward off evil, but I wouldn't count on it.

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Sun Aug 05, 2018 1:09 pm

91Eunozs wrote:
Sun Aug 05, 2018 1:00 pm
Halfapint wrote:
91Eunozs wrote:
:lol:

It was assumed of course...
Ya gotta wonder if he is still lurking around here. Either as a guest or new handle bideing his time , reading the posts an shaking his head from time to time. Just to hear the blue marbles rattle around in his head
As of now I bet you got me wrong

John Titor was right

moab

Post by moab » Sun Aug 05, 2018 11:10 pm

That's a perfect list, Ster! Very well thought out. This should be a sticky. Seriously. Someone make this a sticky.
"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Mon Aug 06, 2018 1:24 am

moab wrote:
Sun Aug 05, 2018 11:10 pm
That's a perfect list, Ster! Very well thought out. This should be a sticky. Seriously. Someone make this a sticky.
Good idea!

"By the powers vested in me, I pronounce this... stickied!"

w3rdtoyamama
Favorite Zombie Movies: Resident Evil series.

Post by w3rdtoyamama » Mon Aug 06, 2018 2:26 am

Living in NY, Ive gotten as best as I can considering. Not ideal or navy seal ready, but they work and each have a purpose. :awesome:
Czechnology wrote:Lots of people enjoy saying "Move" when people complain about their local/state laws, but that's a churlish, ignorant thing to say.

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:48 am

Some states are a tough row to hoe. NY is one of them. You could just move :wink: What do you think the NY solution should look like?
You go over and under
I go through

Return to “General Firearms Discussion”