Are AR15 FSP set ups obsolete?

General discussions regarding topics that aren't covered in one of the other sub-forums. NO DISCUSSION OF POLITICS!

Moderators: ZS Global Moderators, ZS Postal Match Officers

FSP vs Free float rail?

Free float rail with low profile gas block
46%
FSP set up for durability
46%
Oven mitts with no hangaurd
8%

Total votes: 13

JF89
Favorite Zombie Movies: Fido , Dead Set (tv show) ,28 days/weeks later.

Are AR15 FSP set ups obsolete?

Post by JF89 » Sat Jul 28, 2018 7:06 pm

It seems like most of the mid to high grade AR15 brands dont offer much in the way of FSP set ups. Have freefloat rails phased them out or is this just a fashion trend type of thing? I didnt even realize this untail last year when I purchased a new FN15 tactical. FN didnt have any options for an FSP outside of collectors series stuff or their bare basic model which dosnt even offer a CHF barrel.

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Re: Are AR15 FSP set ups obsolete?

Post by RickOShea » Sat Jul 28, 2018 7:52 pm

Welp, 33% of my AR's (including the house rifle & primary training carbine) have FSB's.....but the rest are FF with either flip or fixed fronts.Image
whisk.e.rebellion wrote: It's not what you say anymore. It's how you say it.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

JF89

Post by JF89 » Sat Jul 28, 2018 8:15 pm

RickOShea wrote:
Sat Jul 28, 2018 7:52 pm
Welp, 33% of my AR's (including the house rifle & primary training carbine) have FSB's.....but the rest are FF with either flip or fixed fronts.Image
How long has it been since you bought a new one, oldtimer? Im thinking about getting one but I thought they were the standard setup and much more popular.

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Sat Jul 28, 2018 8:50 pm

JF89 wrote:
Sat Jul 28, 2018 8:15 pm
RickOShea wrote:
How long has it been since you bought a new one, oldtimer? Im thinking about getting one but I thought they were the standard setup and much more popular.
Built this one a couple years ago. But I used a virgin BCM barrel and FSB, so I had to drill and taper the holes for the taper pins myself....

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

JF89

Post by JF89 » Sat Jul 28, 2018 9:06 pm

RickOShea wrote:
Sat Jul 28, 2018 8:50 pm
JF89 wrote:
Sat Jul 28, 2018 8:15 pm
RickOShea wrote:
Built this one a couple years ago. But I used a virgin BCM barrel and FSB, so I had to drill and taper the holes for the taper pins myself....

Nice rifle, is your "goto" rifle running a FSP set up?

Halfapint
Favorite Zombie Movies: all?

Post by Halfapint » Sat Jul 28, 2018 9:19 pm

Pardon my ignorance, but wouldn't having a FSB cause accuracy issues? Wouldn't it be like resting your bbl on a something as you shoot? I figure free float would be MUCH better for accuracy. I get that military has it, so ::shrug:: what do I know.
JeeperCreeper wrote:I like huge dicks, Halfapint, so you are OK in my book.... hahaha
Spazzy wrote:Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

JF89

Post by JF89 » Sat Jul 28, 2018 10:13 pm

Halfapint wrote:
Sat Jul 28, 2018 9:19 pm
Pardon my ignorance, but wouldn't having a FSB cause accuracy issues? Wouldn't it be like resting your bbl on a something as you shoot? I figure free float would be MUCH better for accuracy. I get that military has it, so ::shrug:: what do I know.
I think they are a 10 moa sight. The FSP is just a gas block, the free float rails have the same gas block just its shaved down to fit under the handgaurd.

Halfapint
Favorite Zombie Movies: all?

Post by Halfapint » Sat Jul 28, 2018 10:42 pm

JF89 wrote:
Sat Jul 28, 2018 10:13 pm
Halfapint wrote:
Sat Jul 28, 2018 9:19 pm
I think they are a 10 moa sight. The FSP is just a gas block, the free float rails have the same gas block just its shaved down to fit under the handgaurd.
Ah, my understand was they were attached to the bbl, but the gas block makes sense.
JeeperCreeper wrote:I like huge dicks, Halfapint, so you are OK in my book.... hahaha
Spazzy wrote:Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Twilight... making zombies of our future generations

Post by JeeperCreeper » Mon Jul 30, 2018 2:32 pm

I'm a gun hipster, so I like the FSP.

My "long range" AR does not have one. My Fiance's build does not have one (to keep it streamlined as it runs an optic).

But my go-to rifles have them. I like cowitnessed non-magnified optics. I also like knowing it shit goes bad, I can still bead aim in CQC with the front sight (not that I see that happening).

Plus, I think they look cool depending on the build.
They see me trollin', they hatin'.... keyboardin' tryna catch me typin' dirty
Halfapint wrote:There are some exceptions like myself and jeepercreeper.... but we are the forum asshats. We protect our positions with gusto
zero11010 wrote:The girlfriend is a good shot with a 10/22.
Her secondary offense will be nagging.

RonnyRonin

Post by RonnyRonin » Mon Jul 30, 2018 7:33 pm

As much as magnified optics have done away with fixed front sights (Low Power Variables being recommended by many opinion leaders it seems) the nail in the coffin was grip style. Most people want a 16" or less barrel, and also want to grab the fore end more or less where the gas block is on a midlength. So accuracy is probably far less of a reason then ergonomics for the free float tube thing, but accuracy gets talked about a lot as an extra reason to justify it.

I bought a fixed front sight upper because I was low on funds but needed an AR for a competition. It is super annoying with my 3X ACOG and there is very little keeping it safe from a dremmel other then the promise that some day I will afford a nicer free float upper and will want a classic FSP on my beater/loaner.

You could call it a trend, but it has certainly gone on to long to call it fashion, and in all likelihood it is the new normal from here on out.
share your tobacco and your kindling, but never your sauna or your woman.

AK, Glock, Pie.

JF89

Post by JF89 » Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:32 pm

RonnyRonin wrote:
Mon Jul 30, 2018 7:33 pm
As much as magnified optics have done away with fixed front sights (Low Power Variables being recommended by many opinion leaders it seems) the nail in the coffin was grip style. Most people want a 16" or less barrel, and also want to grab the fore end more or less where the gas block is on a midlength. So accuracy is probably far less of a reason then ergonomics for the free float tube thing, but accuracy gets talked about a lot as an extra reason to justify it.

I bought a fixed front sight upper because I was low on funds but needed an AR for a competition. It is super annoying with my 3X ACOG and there is very little keeping it safe from a dremmel other then the promise that some day I will afford a nicer free float upper and will want a classic FSP on my beater/loaner.

You could call it a trend, but it has certainly gone on to long to call it fashion, and in all likelihood it is the new normal from here on out.
I wonder why the military or LE havnt switched to freefloat set ups?

RonnyRonin

Post by RonnyRonin » Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:30 pm

JF89 wrote:
Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:32 pm
1) they don't particularly care what people want

2) because of budgets they also keep guns in circulation much longer then the average trendy gun owner

3) they have

While front site posts are still quite common, and likely will be for some time, units that get new shiny things and well funded SWAT teams seem to have FF setups, I have seen regular police with FF as well and assumed they are ones that get to supply their own.

The new USMC m27, the MK12, and several of the squad designated marksman rifles that seem to be constantly changing are all FF. I expect most all new rifles entering service to be FF, its simply that their hasn't been that many truly new guns amid the political horse trading that is the arms procurement process.
share your tobacco and your kindling, but never your sauna or your woman.

AK, Glock, Pie.

JF89

Post by JF89 » Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:41 pm

RonnyRonin wrote:
Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:30 pm
JF89 wrote:
Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:32 pm
1) they don't particularly care what people want

2) because of budgets they also keep guns in circulation much longer then the average trendy gun owner

3) they have

While front site posts are still quite common, and likely will be for some time, units that get new shiny things and well funded SWAT teams seem to have FF setups, I have seen regular police with FF as well and assumed they are ones that get to supply their own.

The new USMC m27, the MK12, and several of the squad designated marksman rifles that seem to be constantly changing are all FF. I expect most all new rifles entering service to be FF, its simply that their hasn't been that many truly new guns amid the political horse trading that is the arms procurement process.
Makes sense.

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:58 am

Personal preference here. If the rifle has optics no front sight post is my preference folding sights becomes the backup.

If the rifle has only open sights then I prefer the front sight post style of sights.

I see very few front sight post offered today. Most in my AO are sold as "flat tops"to keep the sales price down with excuse being "most people prefer to add their own".

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:04 pm

JF89 wrote:
Sat Jul 28, 2018 7:06 pm
It seems like most of the mid to high grade AR15 brands dont offer much in the way of FSP set ups. Have freefloat rails phased them out or is this just a fashion trend type of thing? I didnt even realize this untail last year when I purchased a new FN15 tactical. FN didnt have any options for an FSP outside of collectors series stuff or their bare basic model which dosnt even offer a CHF barrel.
If you really need one, here are a few....

Bravo Company Mid 16 Mod 0

COLT LE6920 MPS-B

Daniel Defense DDM4 V1

SPIKE'S M4 LE 556NATO 16

JF89

Post by JF89 » Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:21 pm

[/quote]
If you really need one, here are a few....

Bravo Company Mid 16 Mod 0

COLT LE6920 MPS-B

Daniel Defense DDM4 V1

SPIKE'S M4 LE 556NATO 16
[/quote]

Thanks for the links. At this point im unsure what I want for my next build though.

Chaos454

Post by Chaos454 » Sun Mar 10, 2019 1:25 pm

I know this is an older post, but I thought I would jump in. I have a several with a fsp, and several FF. The front sight post doesn't really get in the way of optics;at least for me. Of the two I actually prefer the fps. I have zeroed carry handles for both so I can dump the red dot or scope and just put those on if I need too. I dont really have much of a reason for preferring a fsp over a low profile gas block. I will say I have more confidence in a fsp, for long term use. It may just be in my head, but they seem sturdier to me.

91Eunozs
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: All of them!

Post by 91Eunozs » Sun Mar 10, 2019 5:27 pm

The couple I built with an FSP were more about sturdiness and a distinct “look” for that particular upper; though not so much for aesthetics as to allow me to easily distinguish the 5.56 upper from one chambered in 300BLK, etc. for that particular build. Both of mine happen to be on SBR’d lowers

This one has the FSB from a Ruger SR556 fitted to a 12.5” barrel (had to drill slots for the pins on top of the barrel):

Custom build on a PSA (Fabrique National) 10.5” barrel:

Molon Latte...come & take our coffee order
Doctorr Fabulous wrote:... It's fun to play pretend, but this is the internet, and it's time to be serious.
zengunfighter wrote:... you don't want to blow a tranny in the middle of a pursuit...
woodsghost wrote:... A defensive gun without training is basically a talisman. It might ward off evil, but I wouldn't count on it.

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Tue Mar 12, 2019 6:36 pm

I recently put a FSP on a an AT I picked up for cheap. It was "broke". Someone had "upgraded" it by putting YH Gas block/ folding FS. The cheap bolts that came with the YH had snapped on one side and it was leaking making it "broke". An FSB fixed the problem and should give decades of trouble free service.
You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

Return to “General Firearms Discussion”