Concealed Carry choice

General discussions regarding topics that aren't covered in one of the other sub-forums. NO DISCUSSION OF POLITICS!

Moderators: ZS Global Moderators, ZS Postal Match Officers

Choose wisely my son

1. S&W 2-3 inch J frame
81%
2. Kimber K-6
15%
3. Colt Cobra
4%

Total votes: 26

The Twizzler
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead
Return of the Living Dead

Concealed Carry choice

Post by The Twizzler » Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:22 pm

Thinking of buying a revolver for concealed carry. It's probably going to be ankle carry.Narrowed it down to 3. I am normally going to carry 38 special but the ability to shoot +P or 357 Mag is a plus. What says the ZS crowd? Only rules are no air weights I have shot a Taurus air weight in the past and it wasn't my favorite (I know it's a taurus :) ) but I really don't have a lot of experience with small revolvers other that a70's model charter arms 3 inch. Also if it is double action only it's got to be a pretty decent trigger.
1. S&W J Frame- cheapest while still good quality. I hear a lot of good things. I would prefer at least a 2 in barrel though but probably not a performance center unless I find a great deal.
2. Kimber K-6- I have handled one but not shot it. The trigger is really nice and it's 6 rounds instead of 5 but pricey. I also love the sights. I would probably have to trade in a gun as well
3. Colt Cobra- I haven't handled one of these yet. Reviews seem good. It would be cool to own a Colt revolver if it's any good.
"Oh Bother!" said Pooh, as he drew his dagger...

yossarian
Favorite Zombie Movies: Army of Darkness, Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead(remake)

Re: Concealed Carry choice

Post by yossarian » Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:29 pm

Oh no, no! This is a Twizzler thread with a poll. You have to choose between a Rohm RG-10 with a bent barrel, a CharterArms Bulldog with that you have to hit on the hammer with brick to fire or an NAA Mini with no grips taped to the end of a four foot broomstick
" So, brave knights,
if you do doubt your courage or your strength, come no further,
for death awaits you all with nasty, big, pointy teeth."

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:33 pm

This is a Twizzler thread with a poll. You have to choose between a Rohm RG-10 with a bent barrel, a CharterArms Bulldog with that you have to hit on the hammer with brick to fire or an NAA Mini with no grips taped to the end of a four foot broomstick
My first thoughts as well.

S&W J Frame - It's is a good belly gun. You really can't go wrong there.
You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

Halfapint
Favorite Zombie Movies: all?

Post by Halfapint » Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:34 pm

yossarian wrote:Oh no, no! This is a Twizzler thread with a poll. You have to choose between a Rohm RG-10 with a bent barrel, a CharterArms Bulldog with that you have to hit on the hammer with brick to fire or an NAA Mini with no grips taped to the end of a four foot broomstick
I said the same damn thing! hahaha!

O/T I don't have a say sorry, I haven't handled any of those
JeeperCreeper wrote:I like huge dicks, Halfapint, so you are OK in my book.... hahaha
Spazzy wrote:Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

The Twizzler

Post by The Twizzler » Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:40 pm

Well I have an Idea for a real out there poll :clap: but I right now I got a need for real info also .... more cowbell :lol:

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:12 pm

Revolvers do not lend themselves well to ankle holster concealed carry, not as well as semi-auto pistols do (unless bell bottoms make a sudden comeback), often carry less rounds than a small auto, and generally have shorter barrel lengths. So why a revolver and not a lightweight polymer framed semi-auto?
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Twilight... making zombies of our future generations

Post by JeeperCreeper » Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:58 pm

Smith by far.

It's been around and will continue to be around. It's the best value and since its a carry gun, you don't want fancy. I hate Kimber. And Colts are overpriced.
They see me trollin', they hatin'.... keyboardin' tryna catch me typin' dirty
Halfapint wrote:There are some exceptions like myself and jeepercreeper.... but we are the forum asshats. We protect our positions with gusto
zero11010 wrote:The girlfriend is a good shot with a 10/22.
Her secondary offense will be nagging.

jor-el

Post by jor-el » Tue Feb 27, 2018 12:24 am

KJ4VOV wrote:Revolvers do not lend themselves well to ankle holster concealed carry, not as well as semi-auto pistols do (unless bell bottoms make a sudden comeback), often carry less rounds than a small auto, and generally have shorter barrel lengths. So why a revolver and not a lightweight polymer framed semi-auto?
Trigger, trigger, trigger, trigger, trigger. A good trigger means hitting your target. My all steel 640 has as good a trigger as possible w/o tuning.

The concealed hammer snubbie has one trick a semiauto can't match; the ability to fire from within a large jacket pocket reliably. Many a time I've covered a perp or perps with that 640 in a cargo pocket already in my hand and the perp never knew.
My son, you will travel far, but never be alone, for I am with you, my M14 and battle axe comfort you.

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:17 am

jor-el wrote:
KJ4VOV wrote:Revolvers do not lend themselves well to ankle holster concealed carry, not as well as semi-auto pistols do (unless bell bottoms make a sudden comeback), often carry less rounds than a small auto, and generally have shorter barrel lengths. So why a revolver and not a lightweight polymer framed semi-auto?
Trigger, trigger, trigger, trigger, trigger. A good trigger means hitting your target. My all steel 640 has as good a trigger as possible w/o tuning.

The concealed hammer snubbie has one trick a semiauto can't match; the ability to fire from within a large jacket pocket reliably. Many a time I've covered a perp or perps with that 640 in a cargo pocket already in my hand and the perp never knew.
All well and good, but he said this was to be an ankle gun, not a pocket gun, so being able to reliably fire it inside a pocket isn't part of the criteria, and there are any number of semi-autos with excellent triggers right out of the box. The Kimber Micro is one that comes to mind. Smaller and lighter than the revolvers (only needs one chamber vs. five or six) and gives 7 rounds from a longer barrel in a flatter package, so I'm wondering why he's set on a wheel gun for this purpose.

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:54 pm

S&W for all the days which end in "Y."

I carried a 640 for several years with the 1 7/8th inch barrel. It was a very good size. I also carried a Rossie all steel, J-frame sized revolver with a 3 inch barrel. For EDC the shorter barrel is the way to go, IMO.

My only complaint about the 640 is I think it really needs a 3 fingered grip. I think all pistols need a 3 fingered grip. But I could still hit man sized steel at 100 yards with the double action trigger. Consistently hit that steel.

At this point I"m saving up for a single stack 9mm or .380 for my CCW. A slimmer pistol is one I'll carry more often. A magazine fed pistol is attractive right now. Do not think you will reload the revolver in the middle of a fight. Any fight will be resolved with the ammo in the gun, and that is all.

I sold the 640 because my wife did not like shooting it. My intention was to buy a pistol she likes, but that is proving difficult. She likes rifles.
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:58 pm

woodsghost wrote:S&W for all the days which end in "Y."

I carried a 640 for several years with the 1 7/8th inch barrel. It was a very good size. I also carried a Rossie all steel, J-frame sized revolver with a 3 inch barrel. For EDC the shorter barrel is the way to go, IMO.

My only complaint about the 640 is I think it really needs a 3 fingered grip. I think all pistols need a 3 fingered grip. But I could still hit man sized steel at 100 yards with the double action trigger. Consistently hit that steel.

At this point I"m saving up for a single stack 9mm or .380 for my CCW. A slimmer pistol is one I'll carry more often. A magazine fed pistol is attractive right now. Do not think you will reload the revolver in the middle of a fight. Any fight will be resolved with the ammo in the gun, and that is all.

I sold the 640 because my wife did not like shooting it. My intention was to buy a pistol she likes, but that is proving difficult. She likes rifles.
So... what rifle are you buying her ? ( happy wife happy life and all that )
As of now I bet you got me wrong

John Titor was right

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Tue Feb 27, 2018 2:42 pm

flybynight wrote:
woodsghost wrote:S&W for all the days which end in "Y."

So... what rifle are you buying her ? ( happy wife happy life and all that )

Haha! I think I need to give her my Marlin 25N. I was thinking about buying her a scope. She loves printing small groups. But she will probably learn more if we spend $50 on .22 ammo and have her shoot it all up. Then maybe buy that scope. Or have her go rifle shopping.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Tue Feb 27, 2018 3:16 pm

woodsghost wrote: At this point I"m saving up for a single stack 9mm or .380 for my CCW. A slimmer pistol is one I'll carry more often.
I'm of a similar mind. Small as it is, my Shield .45 is still a heavy, bulky object. I'm currently seriously considering the Taurus 738 (their answer to the Ruger LCP, but with a much better trigger) as a pocket gun for those times I'd rather not have the holstered 45 on my belt.

The Twizzler

Post by The Twizzler » Tue Feb 27, 2018 7:56 pm

Well, I had an ankle carry gun that was light, accurate, ergonomic, and looked great that gun was a Kahr 380. The only problem was it jammed constantly. I tried all sorts of rounds, I disassembled cleaned and buffed and it still jammed. I called Kahr and they were less than helpful :vmad:. So I just kinda gave up on small semi autos. At least a revolver is going to work even if its heavier and has less ammo. Worst case scenario at least I have a steel rock. Now I have owned several full and compact semi autos and like them I am just not into the tiny ones right now.

KJ4VOV wrote:
jor-el wrote:

All well and good, but he said this was to be an ankle gun, not a pocket gun, so being able to reliably fire it inside a pocket isn't part of the criteria, and there are any number of semi-autos with excellent triggers right out of the box. The Kimber Micro is one that comes to mind. Smaller and lighter than the revolvers (only needs one chamber vs. five or six) and gives 7 rounds from a longer barrel in a flatter package, so I'm wondering why he's set on a wheel gun for this purpose.

The Twizzler

Post by The Twizzler » Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:01 pm

I've shot the 738 and I can say I wouldn't recommend it.
Positives- reliable (it will feed anything), the slide is easy to operate (not always so in a tiny gun)
Negatives- fierce recoil for a 380 (probably due to the slide being so easy to rack), inaccuracy (it's seriously questionable if you will hit what your aiming at more than once from 5 yards),the trigger wont reset unless you completely pull the trigger all the way (an I mean all the way) back. So in a panic situation if you short pull the trigger it will not fire until you get that thing "all the way back there"

KJ4VOV wrote:
woodsghost wrote: At this point I"m saving up for a single stack 9mm or .380 for my CCW. A slimmer pistol is one I'll carry more often.
I'm of a similar mind. Small as it is, my Shield .45 is still a heavy, bulky object. I'm currently seriously considering the Taurus 738 (their answer to the Ruger LCP, but with a much better trigger) as a pocket gun for those times I'd rather not have the holstered 45 on my belt.

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:15 pm

The Twizzler wrote:I've shot the 738 and I can say I wouldn't recommend it.
Positives- reliable (it will feed anything), the slide is easy to operate (not always so in a tiny gun)
Negatives- fierce recoil for a 380 (probably due to the slide being so easy to rack), inaccuracy (it's seriously questionable if you will hit what your aiming at more than once from 5 yards),the trigger wont reset unless you completely pull the trigger all the way (an I mean all the way) back. So in a panic situation if you short pull the trigger it will not fire until you get that thing "all the way back there"
When you say it's inaccurate, was that hand fired or fired in a rest? I ask because, if hand fired, I wonder if you could have been flinching due to the recoil you knew was coming. I think I'll have to see if I can borrow one and try it myself. Recoil doesn't bother me that much so maybe I can tame it. They're cheap enough these days that even if I bought one and it became a safe queen because I didn't it wouldn't be a huge loss.

The Twizzler

Post by The Twizzler » Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:27 pm

It was hand fired KJ4VOV. I was using the same ammo I was using for the Kahr which was mine and the Taurus was my sister in law's. We were comparing them. It was weird cause the Kahr is definitely smaller and lighter. The difference was the Kahr was really damn hard to rack the slide and the Taurus was super easy. I know sights aren't all that important on a small gun like this but the Taurus really had poor sights.

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:34 pm

KJ4VOV wrote:
The Twizzler wrote:I've shot the 738 and I can say I wouldn't recommend it.
When you say it's inaccurate, was that hand fired or fired in a rest? I ask because, if hand fired, I wonder if you could have been flinching due to the recoil you knew was coming. I think I'll have to see if I can borrow one and try it myself. Recoil doesn't bother me that much so maybe I can tame it. They're cheap enough these days that even if I bought one and it became a safe queen because I didn't it wouldn't be a huge loss.
A buddy of mine has a Taurus 738. He brought it over to my backyard range right after he got it. I never shot it myself, but I watched his scrawny lil twelve year old son consistently hit 8" steel plates at 15 yards with it. :crazy:
whisk.e.rebellion wrote: It's not what you say anymore. It's how you say it.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:44 pm

The Twizzler wrote:It was hand fired KJ4VOV. I was using the same ammo I was using for the Kahr which was mine and the Taurus was my sister in law's. We were comparing them. It was weird cause the Kahr is definitely smaller and lighter. The difference was the Kahr was really damn hard to rack the slide and the Taurus was super easy. I know sights aren't all that important on a small gun like this but the Taurus really had poor sights.
Okay, that's good information to know then. Yeah, the way it's designed it's not a blowback, it actually locks the slide and barrel, so the full recoil is passed to the shooter with little to none buffered by the spring. Combine that with its light weight and it's gonna kick the way you experienced. Then again, if you're using it for self-defense at ranges greater than that 5 yards you mention then you've got the wrong gun. To me, a .380 is a close in, 10 feet or less last ditch defense gun.

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Wed Feb 28, 2018 7:50 am

Reliability with a wide range of ammo is a good reason to buy a revolver. I fully endorse that logic. I too was very focused on using a gun which I could feed anything and it would function. In my experience most modern autos do fine with most ammo, but given your experiences I fully understand your thoughts. And frankly I think revolvers are cool.
The Twizzler wrote:Well, I had an ankle carry gun that was light, accurate, ergonomic, and looked great that gun was a Kahr 380. The only problem was it jammed constantly. I tried all sorts of rounds, I disassembled cleaned and buffed and it still jammed. I called Kahr and they were less than helpful :vmad:. So I just kinda gave up on small semi autos. At least a revolver is going to work even if its heavier and has less ammo. Worst case scenario at least I have a steel rock. Now I have owned several full and compact semi autos and like them I am just not into the tiny ones right now.

KJ4VOV wrote:
jor-el wrote:

emclean
Favorite Zombie Movies: Fido
Zombieland

Post by emclean » Wed Feb 28, 2018 7:51 am

of the three I would say the S&W.

on the subject of small semi-autos, you might try a SCCY 9mm. they are inexpensive (under $200), come with a manual safety, or not, and has a surprisingly light recoil. plus they came in a bunch of colors.

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:17 am

emclean wrote:of the three I would say the S&W.

on the subject of small semi-autos, you might try a SCCY 9mm. they are inexpensive (under $200), come with a manual safety, or not, and has a surprisingly light recoil. plus they came in a bunch of colors.
Could get one to match his socks! :crazy:

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:27 pm

KJ4VOV wrote:

OR his underwear :shock:
As of now I bet you got me wrong

John Titor was right

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:33 pm

flybynight wrote:
KJ4VOV wrote:

OR his underwear :shock:
So, FDE? :mrgreen:

Return to “General Firearms Discussion”