Shotgun Scabbard

General discussions regarding topics that aren't covered in one of the other sub-forums. NO DISCUSSION OF POLITICS!

Moderators: ZS Global Moderators, ZS Postal Match Officers

McArther

Shotgun Scabbard

Post by McArther » Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:37 pm

So, after seeing a few (every) episodes of Ash Vs. Evil Dead, I started doing a little research. Turns out there really is such a thing as a shotgun scabbard.

After doing a fair amount of measuring, followed by cutting, and then finally sewing, I gots me a scabbard for my boom stick. Looks pretty sharp if I do say so myself. Now, as happy as I am with how it came out, I must report... it's not really practical. You won't be whipping your 12 gauge death stick out in the blink of an eye and blowing zombie heads off with ease. I've tried several dozen times and it's just awkward to do. It shifts around as you move, so reaching for it without looking back to see it is iffy. If it's full length like mine, your arm isn't going to be long enough to draw it out in one fluid motion. Generally speaking, your better off just putting a strap on the gun itself.

While I did make my own, I am relatively certain that these issues are universal to the concept as a whole. Shorter firearms might be somewhat more suitable to it, but I kind of doubt it.

Has anyone had any other experiences with these?ImageImage

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

woodsghost

Re: Shotgun Scabbard

Post by woodsghost » Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:42 pm

I have not used one, but it looks like you did a dang good job!
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

MacWa77ace
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Omega Man, I Am Legend, Dawn of the Dead v1974.

Post by MacWa77ace » Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:50 pm

Its a trade off between protective covering and speed to action.

Try a weapon's catch. There are many types of catches.

But with that long barrel, that is your primary weapon until you lop off your hand and attach a chainsaw.

:wink:

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:07 pm

What is your purpose in making and using this? If the answer is "it looks cool," that would be a valid reason.

Otherwise, for most it is a means of carrying your gun on your pack where it can be out of your way or the weight can be transferred to your hips, depending on the pack. If it does that well then you have a winner!

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

McArther

Post by McArther » Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:40 pm

If I'm honest, 'because it looks cool' is probably at least 75% of the reason. At a glance it does seem like it would be super useful. Reach up, snatch it at a moment's notice, 'sha-wing' like pulling a sword. Blam! Blam! Blam! ...and time for drinks!

In practice, not so much. And don't even think about trying to sheath it again without taking it off to do it.

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:45 am

Not a big shotgun guy. But with an SBS as opposed to an 18" barrel it is a bit more useful and likely more easy to manage with your scabbard. I've never used a scabbard. Was going to get one for my ATV but then decided a simple soft case would work better.
"Big Thanks - I promise to advance your agenda within the secret and omnipotent councils of the Trilateral Commission"

“No-one likes us, we don’t care.”

w3rdtoyamama
Favorite Zombie Movies: Resident Evil series.

Post by w3rdtoyamama » Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:10 am

I couldve saved you time and told you that.

cool as hell though. Might be good for storage or just carrying without quick access.
Czechnology wrote:Lots of people enjoy saying "Move" when people complain about their local/state laws, but that's a churlish, ignorant thing to say.

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:08 am

McArther wrote:If I'm honest, 'because it looks cool' is probably at least 75% of the reason. At a glance it does seem like it would be super useful. Reach up, snatch it at a moment's notice, 'sha-wing' like pulling a sword. Blam! Blam! Blam! ...and time for drinks!

In practice, not so much. And don't even think about trying to sheath it again without taking it off to do it.

You did a good job. You made it look good and you have a way to carry gear long distances with some ease and security. Nice job. I like the contrast between the black and the silver.

You will have to post up your next project.

velojym
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Fido

Post by velojym » Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:14 am

Ash had more of a harness arrangement on his, making for easier draw.
Wouldn't it be great if all wars could be fought just by the assholes who started them?
-The Postman

McArther

Post by McArther » Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:46 am

Next I think I'm going to try to make a range bag- just something to stow shells and a little bit of gear in. I've already made a lot of molle pockets for the scabbard, so ideally I want to be able to attach them to it. A hand-bag style one would be easy enough, but I'd really like a one-shoulder backpack. I just can't find a good design to go with yet.

SteelWolf

Post by SteelWolf » Sat Jun 30, 2018 1:13 pm

Cool project, well executed.

Maybe run some rigid plastic down one side of it to make re-holstering easier (in my head this makes sense, prevents at least one side from rolling over on itself)?

Before my GMC Jimmy exploded, I had a crappy Condor shotgun scabbard attached to the inside of the tail gate. It worked well to secure my truck gun, but I never used it to mount to a pack or anything.

Anyway, looks cool man!
TEMS / Flight Paramedic. NRP, FP-C, TP-C.
OIF / OEF Combat Veteran
Owner / Chief Instructor of Archangel Dynamics, LLC. Come visit us for all of your Medical Preparedness needs!
Do you live in or around Arizona? Come train with us! Firearms, Medical and Survival courses.
https://archangeldynamics.com/

Beowolf
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead, Aaaaaa Zombies, 28 Days Later

Post by Beowolf » Sun Jul 08, 2018 11:59 am

McArther wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:37 pm
While I did make my own, I am relatively certain that these issues are universal to the concept as a whole. Shorter firearms might be somewhat more suitable to it, but I kind of doubt it.

Has anyone had any other experiences with these?ImageImage
This was very well executed! Nicely done. I have a rifle/shotgun scabbard I purchased that secures to a pack or bag, but it is more minimalist and less protective than what you've crafted. I actually like yours better!
The way is shut. It was made by those who are Dead. And the Dead keep it. Until the time comes. The way is shut.
-
Keeper of the ZS Fleet Number thread.
ZS Wiki

Return to “General Firearms Discussion”